PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Unobtrusive DMpc

Rickshaw
2014-09-16, 11:02 PM
Running a three person group of...let's face it: noobs. They're all wonderful, but totally new to pathfinder, and are already having trouble with anything that isn't door kick->foe smash. Group is a winter witch who isn't bad, though low optimized, dwarf zen archer who is as optimized as one of those can get, though absolutely doesn't understand out of combat mechanics (though they all have trouble) and a Druid who won't cast spells and is in a romantic relationship with his bear and tries so hard but can't seem to roll above a 5 on any dice, poor guy...

They're all really nice and play as well as they can, I just feel they might could use some help.

Any suggestions? Would a bard be too cliche? Maybe a sensei monk? I don't want it to steal the limelight of course...

I'm also having trouble engaging them socially. They rebuff romantic interest and tend to ignore authority figures, even those willing to help! I'm thinking...maybe a kid bard? One who isn't annoying but wants parental figures or something. I'm very at a loss lol.

Crake
2014-09-16, 11:23 PM
Hmm, this might be a pertient question, but how old is your group on average? It might just be that they arent yet mature enough to really be interested in the social aspects of dnd, and instead just want to play a number crunching dungeon crawl. It sounds like they're probably doing fine in combat, but you want this DMpc to help them engage socially, correct? Well probably the best advice on that forefront would be to talk to your players and ask them if they are interested in that at all. Since you said they're all new, they may simply be uncomfortable with it, fearing that they'll look silly in front of their friends, but bringing it up will possibly encourage them.

Also maybe inform them that you're going to run NPCs more realistically, for example, ignoring authority will have consequences, rebuffing romantic interests might make said romantic interest upset, and her brother/father might decide to step in (level 1 mook NPCs of course, but let the players assume what they want) and fight for their family's honour. I'm not sure if you've done stuff like this so far, but if you do, the players might begin to consider their actions more carefully, pick what they say, and eventually start engaging socially, or be ostracised from the community.

Of course, make sure that the players are interested first, before doing any of that :smalltongue:

Edit: I realise this thread was about a DMpc, but I don't feel like that's what you really need to solve your problem, instead have consistent and reoccuring NPCs in your towns/cities