PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PC Wants to Create a New Weapon In-Game

nakedonmyfoldin
2014-09-16, 11:09 PM
A PC of mine wants to create a new weapon, a double-sided guisarme. The stats would be identical to a guisarme (2d4, slashing, x3), 10 ft reach, and improved tripping. The weapon would also be a double-weapon, obviously, and allow two-weapon fighting etc etc.

My question is, if the PC character came up with this design on his own dollar, what would the cost be to hand the design to a skilled weaponsmith and and have the double-guisarme created?
What should the PC have to go through (gold cost, skills involved, etc) to come up with the design in-game?

I love the ingenuity and thought that has gone into this, so I really want to allow it, but I don't want the PC to be too OP. I think I may revoke the 10ft reach from the weapon, since the whole reach isn't used with two-weapon fighting style.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 11:12 PM
Well, this particular weapon doesn't really take more innovation than taking a guisarme head and sticking it on the back end of a guisarme. I'd say just double the price of a guisarme, and make it an exotic weapon like any other double weapon.

Curbstomp
2014-09-16, 11:15 PM
Cost? I don't know, but I'd have it take 1d4 months and require someone to make a DC: 30 Knowledge or Craft check of the relevant type on the PC's behalf. That person would need to get paid.

For balance, it's probably fine without mods. Just make it an Exotic Weapon which requires a feat for proficiency. This should allow it to balance well with some madman who burned the feats to wield two of the regular version of this weapon simultaneously as well as with the other double weapons.

nakedonmyfoldin
2014-09-16, 11:23 PM
He's an interesting fellow, but he's definitely not boring haha

Greenish
2014-09-16, 11:25 PM
Cost? I don't know, but I'd have it take 1d4 months and require someone to make a DC: 30 Knowledge or Craft check of the relevant type on the PC's behalf.1d4 month design time would mean the same as "no can do" in most campaigns (in my experience).

For balance, it's probably fine without mods. Just make it an Exotic Weapon which requires a feat for proficiency. This should allow it to balance well with some madman who burned the feats to wield two of the regular version of this weapon simultaneously as well as with the other double weapons.Agreed. Reach weapons that work with TWF are rare but not unheard of. The feat (three feats for TWF plus EWP) and stat (can't finesse, so needs both Str and Dex) requirements should keep it from being all that powerful.

Double guisarme's price seems about right for double guisarme.

Curbstomp
2014-09-17, 04:46 AM
My last long campaign met in two sessions weekly for 1.5 years in real life. Roughly two years went by in game. It was a magic-powered steampunk kind of setting and one of my PC's decided to design and build a flak cannon. He used all standard rules, but ones that I was pretty sure were not meant to interact in that way. I allowed it, but it took a few sessions before his craftsman had the first prototype ready.

sideswipe
2014-09-17, 05:22 AM
My last long campaign met in two sessions weekly for 1.5 years in real life. Roughly two years went by in game. It was a magic-powered steampunk kind of setting and one of my PC's decided to design and build a flak cannon. He used all standard rules, but ones that I was pretty sure were not meant to interact in that way. I allowed it, but it took a few sessions before his craftsman had the first prototype ready.

on the flip side a majority of my campaigns last 3-6 months and about 2-3 weeks of in game time pass during that period, and we have 6 hours a week of role play time. most of our campaigns are on a pseudo timer and we dont normally waste days.

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-17, 10:45 AM
In my experience, the value of game time depends on the campain, the characters being played, and the party. A party of artificers might take a long break every new level just to plan and make all the new toys while another party might regularly reach town after breakfast, take care of everything they need, and be miles down the road come lunch.

nedz
2014-09-17, 10:49 AM
Such a weapon probably already exists — what you need is a 1E UA — Gary had a bit of a thing for pole-arms :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2014-09-17, 11:04 AM
Such a weapon probably already exists — what you need is a 1E UA — Gary had a bit of a thing for pole-arms :smallbiggrin:

Pictured: Gary's obsession.

http://panzerleader.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/pikes.jpg
http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/images/new-polearm-thumbs.jpg