PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Kingmaker Character Help

Redex
2014-09-17, 05:35 AM
I have recently gotten myself into my first Pathfinder game, and the DM is running with the Kingmaker AP, with an emphasis on rp and less combat. It took me a while to finally decide on my character class and concept but I have it now. The only problem i have now is getting him down on paper. We are allowed to use only paizo published Pathfinder products. I am going to be playing a sorcerer but unsure on the blood line i should pick up. As far as my concept in my head, I would like to take up the seat as ruler, but from behind the scenes with a puppet on the throne; not sure who the puppet may be, party member, npc or cohort. With the game being more socially inclined, i was thinking on the fey bloodline with the enchantment bonuses. And with a high charisma score, the leadership feat would be of great use use. Thinking of mind control but how viable is that at the later levels with mind blank and immunities.

character creation rules in play are

starting at 1st level

only core races allowed

stats start at 8 with a 25 points to buy with on a 1 for 1 system. no stat lower than an 8 unless racial modifiers bring it down.

Allowed 2 Traits, archetypes, and favored class options.

Any alignment

So I am leaning towards human sorcerer with fey bloodline.

starting stats
str 8
dex 14
con 11
int 12
wis 10
cha 18 (20 with human +2)

the Party currently consists of a bard, alchemist, druid, rogue, and barbarian.

so any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

emeraldstreak
2014-09-17, 05:42 AM
erm...I can give you good advice on what's best for regular Kingmaker...but "less combat" Kingmaker? It's not a very good choice for "less combat".

avr
2014-09-17, 05:45 AM
If you like the fey bloodline arcana but you aren't sure about keeping it in the long run you might prefer the mongrel mage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/mongrel-mage) archetype.

Redex
2014-09-17, 05:50 AM
The Dm has been pretty good with keeping things balanced in the past, but he's just trying to keep it from a hack n slash. The last group he tried running with were just wanting to fight everything and none of the social interaction. I think he's just throwing it out there to make sure the group is diverse enough to handle both in and out of combat issues. With the party make up we have right now, I think we will be alright. we are down a healer, but with a bard and myself with umd, heals should be covered.

Novawurmson
2014-09-17, 11:19 AM
From what I remember of Kingmaker, a sorcerer focusing on enchantment should be pretty powerful for the first 6 levels or so, especially if you're trying for less combat/more roleplaying. I'd let your Charisma and bloodline arcana do the heavy lifting for your compulsion spells - I wouldn't start spending a ton of feats boosting it further, for the reasons you mentioned.

Have you tried checking out a [sorcerer guide](https://docs.google.com/document/d/13MRfgZWlAakfd06JnboqbK6xNdb2Ht63dYqVg2kpGiI/edit)?

Redex
2014-09-17, 12:12 PM
Have you tried checking out a [sorcerer guide](https://docs.google.com/document/d/13MRfgZWlAakfd06JnboqbK6xNdb2Ht63dYqVg2kpGiI/edit)?

Thanks for the link. lots of good stuff in there.

incarnate236
2014-09-17, 02:12 PM
Do you think you could swing getting Kitsune as a playable race? The enchantment bonus they get naturally and as part of their favored class bonus would really help out with what you are trying to accomplish. I am playing a Kitsune Sorcerer now with 19 dc's on lv1 enchantments at lv 3 thanks to race bonus, spell focus, and a liberal interpretation of insistent benefactor.

emeraldstreak
2014-09-17, 04:35 PM
Kingmaker is a rather open world, filled with random encounters that can be off in difficulty especially in the first book and with hidden locations. Open world classes like the druid shine. Likewise, being mounted in the plains/hills helps.

My personal suggestion: you'll need Magic Missile (pref. metamagic master + toppling spell). Also, casters shouldn't underestimate the ranged damage of certain opponents.

The party needs at least one excellent spotter, it'll help with finding more locations and avoiding random encounters that are too difficult. If your DM is not forgiving, consider getting energy resistance ASAP.

I could tell you more but I don't want to spoil you (no idea how much you know the campaign).

Akal Saris
2014-09-17, 06:53 PM
I've been running a Kingmaker game for the past few years. Here's some suggestions I might make:
- For the Fey bloodline, consider the Sylvan "sub" bloodline - animal companions are quite strong in general (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/sylvan) and the boon companion feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion)
- magic missile is indeed a good spell to have on hand vs. certain opponents
- with a high Cha you might want to prepare for taking the 'lead' in-game as part of your party; a background that involves some familiarity with court/nobility wouldn't hurt in RPing in the future
- try to develop good relationships with many NPCs early on; it will make the game more fun down the road

Redex
2014-09-18, 05:24 AM
Do you think you could swing getting Kitsune as a playable race? The enchantment bonus they get naturally and as part of their favored class bonus would really help out with what you are trying to accomplish.

the dm is adamant to keeping with only the core races.

I appreciate all the input posted. I think i have a pretty decent idea of how I will go about building the character to meet his end goal. feel free to throw more suggestions at me. nothing is set in stone yet. got a few more days to finalize a character.