PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a Barbarian... In Spaaaaace!

Afgncaap5
2014-09-17, 01:54 PM
I'm going to be playing my first barbarian in a game that, I'm happy to see, is centered around the travel between worlds. I've been trying to come up with a good plan based on space-style concepts that would still make sense for someone born and raised by nomads in the wilderness, but it's a tough sell so far. The only real idea I've had is to combine things like Powerful Charge and Flying Kick to make a "comet-style" of fighting relating to rushing past enemies and clobbering them for high damage. A fun idea, but I don't know if it's enough to build a character around.

I've also got a lot of catching up to do since I don't yet have a good grasp on popular barbarian builds (just found my way to the barbarian handbook.) Any suggestions for good pre-existing ones that I might be able to tinker with would be great. Thanks!

(Oh, and it's worth noting, this DM is incredibly lenient when it comes to source material. A lot of 3rd party stuff has been used. Someone's even making a character using something called "The Velociraptor Handbook", so I think I've got some room to go a little crazy with this one.)

Oddman80
2014-09-17, 04:51 PM
I'm fond of the Whirling Tripper base chassis.

If LA is allowed, go half-minotaur template on a half orc. Large and strong are good things. If your DM is as lenient as you say, throw the half-ogre template on for free, as it has no LA when you are already large. This combo can net you a STR 28.

If your DM allows flaws, pick up two in exchange for Aberration Blood (tail) and Inhuman Reach.

You will want to use the lion spirit totem & whirling frenzy ACF's - as they will give you more attacks on your turn.. More attacks, means more trips. You can get improved trip through the wolf totem barbarian ACF at class level 2, in exchange for Uncanny Dodge. Dip fighter for the fighter bonus feats (combat reflexes)... If you use a Spiked Chain, by level 3 you can be able to control a 70x70 ft zone of the battlefield. If someone casts enlarge person on you, that goes to 130x130 ft!

Flaw 1 - Aberrant Blood (tail)
Flaw 2 - Inhuman Reach
Barb 1 /Lvl 1 - Exotic Weapon Proficiency-Spiked Chain, Pounce, Whirling Frenzy
Barb 2/Lvl 2 - Improved Trip (wolf totem)
Fghtr 1/Lvl 3 - Knock-down, Combat Reflexes (bonus)

Now, any time an enemy moves within 30' of you, you get an attack of opportunity against them (with a +12 to hit even without raging). You will always do enough damage to set off knock-down, so free trip attempt on every hit (1d20 +21 for opposed STR check due to size, tail, & improved trip). You should be successfully tripping almost everything you hit (baring snakes and oozes). This triggers Improved trip, and now you can hit the enemy one more time while he's on the ground, with an additional +4 to hit since he's prone.

If you are raging, you can do this to two different enemies on your turn well before anyone else has enough BAB for iterative attacks.

The higher your dex the nor AoO's you will get, and the bigger the nuisance you will be. Be aware, that if you have an archer in your party, or anyone else rolling ranged attack rolls, they will be hit with a -4 penalty when attacking enemies you have knocked prone... So make sue to coordinate with that player if he exists.

This build leaves a ton of room for growth. It pairs really well with totemist, warblade, and many others.