PDA

View Full Version : Range Personal in a Wand?

Kesnit
2014-09-17, 03:12 PM
My google-fu is failing me. I think I know the answer, but I've seen some conflicting answers.

Can a spell with Range: Personal be put in a wand and then used one someone else? (I think "no," but am not sure.)

Afgncaap5
2014-09-17, 03:36 PM
I don't think so. I think it has to be used by the person using the wand. (I think the rationale is similar to why you can't brew Potion of Shield by RAW, for instance.)

Sir Garanok
2014-09-17, 03:48 PM
You are asking if you can put a spell with personal range to a wand
and then given the wand to someone else and cast it on himself?

Fax Celestis
2014-09-17, 03:50 PM
Yes, you can.

Craft Wand does not contain the same limitations Brew Potion does.

Creating Potions
The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few containers in which to mix liquids, as well as a source of heat to boil the brew. In addition, he needs ingredients. The costs for materials and ingredients are subsumed in the cost for brewing the potion—25 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster.

All ingredients and materials used to brew a potion must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for brewing each potion. (Economies of scale do not apply.)

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be placed in the potion (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires.

If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, he pays the XP cost upon beginning the brew in addition to the XP cost for making the potion itself. Material components are consumed when he begins working, but a focus is not. (A focus used in brewing a potion can be reused.) The act of brewing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.) Brewing a potion requires one day.

Creating Wands
To create a magic wand, a character needs a small supply of materials, the most obvious being a baton or the pieces of the wand to be assembled. The cost for the materials is subsumed in the cost for creating the wand—375 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster. Wands are always fully charged (50 charges) when created.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be stored (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any focuses the spell requires. Fifty of each needed material component are required, one for each charge. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost (multiplied by 50) upon beginning the wand in addition to the XP cost for making the wand itself. Likewise, material components are consumed when she begins working, but focuses are not. (A focus used in creating a wand can be reused.) The act of working on the wand triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting during each day devoted to the wand’s creation. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Crafting a wand requires one day per each 1,000 gp of the base price.

Cranthis
2014-09-17, 03:53 PM
You can definitely put a Range: personal spell into a wand, but the spell would go onto whoever uses the wand.

Kesnit
2014-09-17, 10:43 PM
You are asking if you can put a spell with personal range to a wand
and then given the wand to someone else and cast it on himself?

No. I'm playing an Artificer and have a Wand of True Strike. I would like to use the wand on my Homunculus who is the only non-squishy in the (permanent) party. (The WIZ can summon non-squishies.)

Divide by Zero
2014-09-17, 10:52 PM
You can put a personal spell in a wand. Whoever uses the wand will then cast it with a range of personal relative to them. No way around that as far as I know (there are shenanigans for doing it with spells, but I don't think any of them can be applied to a wand).

Darrin
2014-09-18, 05:04 AM
No. I'm playing an Artificer and have a Wand of True Strike. I would like to use the wand on my Homunculus who is the only non-squishy in the (permanent) party. (The WIZ can summon non-squishies.)

Try using a Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC).

Kesnit
2014-09-18, 09:57 AM
Try using a Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC).

The glyph can only be attached to a "nonmagical, nonliving object." While the homunculus is non-living, it is magical. Also, it looks like it can only be used once before it has to be replaced, which lessens it's use in combat.

Dalebert
2014-09-18, 01:40 PM
The glyph can only be attached to a "nonmagical, nonliving object." While the homunculus is non-living, it is magical. Also, it looks like it can only be used once before it has to be replaced, which lessens it's use in combat.

You could get around that problem by putting it on something the homonculus carried. Also, the Glyph Seal itself is reusable. The spell contained gets used up but then you can reload it by casting another spell.

That said, there are many other complications with trying to use it in the way OP desires that I don't even want to delve into right now, like which spells can go into a glyph of warding at all, and if a personal spell is allowed, how does it react when triggered?

Darrin
2014-09-18, 02:52 PM
That said, there are many other complications with trying to use it in the way OP desires that I don't even want to delve into right now, like which spells can go into a glyph of warding at all

Any "arcane or divine spell of up to 2nd level" (MIC).

and if a personal spell is allowed, how does it react when triggered?

As per glyph of warding, if the glyph is triggered and the spell has a "Target:" entry, then whatever creature triggered it becomes the target.

Stella
2014-09-19, 04:28 PM

If you can make your Homunculus your familiar you can use the Share Spells ability to make both your own and the Homunculus attacks benefit from True Strike .

I'm no char op expert, but there has to be a way to do this.

KillianHawkeye
2014-09-19, 06:15 PM
If you can make your Homunculus your familiar you can use the Share Spells ability to make both your own and the Homunculus attacks benefit from True Strike .

I'm no char op expert, but there has to be a way to do this.

Even if you did have Share Spells ability, it doesn't apply to stuff like wands and scrolls. Only spells you actually cast yourself.

Dalebert
2014-09-19, 08:10 PM
Any "arcane or divine spell of up to 2nd level" (MIC).

As per glyph of warding, if the glyph is triggered and the spell has a "Target:" entry, then whatever creature triggered it becomes the target.

The item does indeed seem to have fewer limitations than the spell, Glyph of Warding. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm) It does seem to allow any spell and not just "harmful" ones.

Sound like you may have a work-around here. Put the seal on a small box, maybe even a wrist-strap with tiny box on it. Opening is one of the triggering conditions. Have True Strike cast into the seal. I think opening a box that's on your person may even be considered part of a move action like drawing a weapon. Not sure about that one. Maybe someone can verify. But either way, this sounds like a way for a homunculus to cast True Strike on itself.

Baroknik
2014-09-19, 09:45 PM
My vote is to make skull talismans and hand them to your homunculus!