PDA

View Full Version : Strength based Halfling?

PangolinPie
2014-09-17, 05:02 PM
Are there any ways to make a buff Halfling or is Dex the only viable option?

I have a player who wants to do a Halfling who was raised by Dwarves (Stoneblessed PRC) so he can do the whole Underfoot Combat/Confound the Big Folk thing with giant slaying but wants to focus more on Strength, possibly relying on a mount for movement to compensate. On a more humorous note, his Dwarf family never told him he wasn't a Dwarf himself so he just thinks he's small for his race XD

Desthro
2014-09-17, 05:55 PM
I'm sure you could homebrew it, but as far as RAW races go, I can't find one. Though, I don't see the issue of buying up STR and taking a small hit to it.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-17, 06:06 PM
It's just a -2. Man up and eat the -1 to attack rolls. Or go jungle halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleHalflings) and enjoy your favored class: barbarian and poison use.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-09-17, 06:08 PM
Darn, of it wasn't for his going dwarf-based stoneblessed, I would recommend going goliath if only so he could get mountain rage with a barbarian level, meaning he jumps up from small to large size.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-17, 06:08 PM
Darn, of it wasn't for his going dwarf-based stoneblessed, I would recommend going goliath if only so he could get mountain rage with a barbarian level, meaning he jumps up from small to large size.

Now that is hilarious.

2014-09-17, 06:11 PM
Now that is hilarious.

It gets even more hilarious when you realize that they would qualify for War Hulk and Hulking Hurler, but only while in Mountain Rage.

"Don't make me angry; you won't like me when I'm angry..."

Urpriest
2014-09-17, 06:51 PM
It's fine. Halflings get -2 Str, yes, but they also get +1 attack rolls, so at most the -2 Str is giving you -1.5 on damage, in exchange for an otherwise solid (and flavorful) race. A little tougher in point buy maybe, but still plausible. There's a reason Halflings are barbarians in Eberron.

Troacctid
2014-09-17, 07:48 PM
Yeah, the size bonus to attack rolls should just cancel out the Strength penalty. You'll be fine.

Psyren
2014-09-17, 10:22 PM
It's fine. Halflings get -2 Str, yes, but they also get +1 attack rolls, so at most the -2 Str is giving you -1.5 on damage, in exchange for an otherwise solid (and flavorful) race. A little tougher in point buy maybe, but still plausible. There's a reason Halflings are barbarians in Eberron.

Your weapons are smaller too so that factors into the damage, but yeah, it's not the end of the world.

KingSmitty
2014-09-17, 10:38 PM
At least the strongheart halfling is close in name and the extra feat is useful.

Also look into the feat gnome tunnel acrobatics. Fits well with xonfound the big folk and u do not have to be gnome from how i read it :/
"Prerequisites :Knowledge (dungeoneering) 2 ranks, and Tumble 9 ranks, Gnome; or base attack bonus +4" just bab 4...

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-18, 12:48 AM
I've seen plenty of "Str-based" Halflings.

They were riding on mounts suitable for taking into the dungeon and 2H power attack lance charging for incredible damage.

The -1.5 damage from Str and -1 or 2 damage from weapon size is nothing compared to the damage bonus you get for being able to go jousting in any setting while the humans have to go on foot.

Diovid
2014-09-18, 02:46 AM
Here are some ideas:

Mounted combat, as others have mentioned is pretty good. Paladin 5 / Beastmaster 2 / Wild Plains Outrider 3 / Halfling Outrider 10 with the Power Attack, Natural Bond and Devoted Tracker feats and wielding a valorous lance two-handed is a good option.

There are several ways to count as bigger you are as a halfling for various checks: The Halfling Barbarian substitution levels (Dragon Magazine #342), the 7th Halfling Monk substitution level (Races of the Wild), the 3rd Wary Swordknight Paladin substitution level (Champions of Valor). The first substitution levels combine decently with the Barbarian's Fearsome Gaze acf (Dragon Magazine #349) allowing you to use your strength modifier instead of your charisma modifier for intimidate checks and also giving a bonus to intimidate checks.