PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Competent Martial Character

Pinkcrusade
2014-09-17, 09:21 PM
Hello, Playground.

I was wondering what would be the best way to create a high-damage martial character in 5e. I am not familiar with the classes and such (asides from the names) of 5e, so any input is beneficial

Thanks

lvl 1 human
2014-09-17, 09:27 PM
From what I've seen is every class will be competent but really it depends on what you want. onion druid comes highly recommended. or if you want strictly martial i like going battle masyer fighter

Lokiare
2014-09-17, 09:28 PM
Hello, Playground.

I was wondering what would be the best way to create a high-damage martial character in 5e. I am not familiar with the classes and such (asides from the names) of 5e, so any input is beneficial

Thanks

Eldritch Knight + bard + barbarian makes a potent combo you buff yourself, and debuff your enemies getting to attack each round.

Alternatively if you don't mind repeating the same thing over and over again you can choose champion fighter + barbarian for decent single target damage.

Vowtz
2014-09-17, 09:34 PM
I would recomend barbarian5/ fighter3(battlemaster)/ ranger3(hunter) in that order

archaeo
2014-09-17, 09:40 PM
Just going straight Fighter or Barbarian will probably be sufficient, if you don't need the absolute highest potential DPR. Ask your DM before you launch into a really complicated multiclass build.

Yorrin
2014-09-17, 09:53 PM
Honestly Barbarian 20 or Fighter 20 are pretty much the top of the melee DPS charts. Assassin Rogue is also pretty solid, and if you wanted to dip Ranger 5 on there you'd probably have good results.

Pinkcrusade
2014-09-17, 09:58 PM
The character I am looking to build is no-magic, so Onion Druid is out of the question.

So, Fighter (Battlemaster) is fine for what I am looking for? Constant high-DPS? Also, how would they fare solo against enemies of equal level?

Eslin
2014-09-17, 10:29 PM
The character I am looking to build is no-magic, so Onion Druid is out of the question.

So, Fighter (Battlemaster) is fine for what I am looking for? Constant high-DPS? Also, how would they fare solo against enemies of equal level?

Battlemaster is a fantastic initial investment, but taking further fighter levels kind of sucks. At level 3 you get 3 maneuvers and 4 superiority dice, which is great. Take another 4 levels and you get... 1 more dice and 2 maneuvers that you didn't want earlier. If you want to stick with the class for 20 levels, take eldritch knight. If you want a 3-4 level dip, take battlemaster.

Hytheter
2014-09-17, 11:04 PM
Battlemaster is a fantastic initial investment, but taking further fighter levels kind of sucks. At level 3 you get 3 maneuvers and 4 superiority dice, which is great. Take another 4 levels and you get... 1 more dice and 2 maneuvers that you didn't want earlier.

Well, you also get an extra attack and 2 ability improvements/feats, which I don't think is terrible.

Glarnog
2014-09-17, 11:05 PM
Lokiare,
I am only familiar with the limted rule set. I do find the idea of an EK really cool. How would BBn and Bard work with it? And in what order. That is if you don't mind explaining your build suggestion.

Thanks

Slipperychicken
2014-09-18, 12:35 AM
Bear Totem Barbarian looks very nice. Resistance to all damage except psychic, highest HD in the game, damage bonuses, and advantage on attack rolls whenever you want it seems pretty awesome. Throw some heavy armor on that (or just have very high Con+Dex), and you can become pretty hard to kill. Heavy Armor Master if you need to be even harder to kill (Subtracting 3 from halved damage means that any weapon damage less than 7 is reduced to zero). Grab a bonus action attack (like through TWF or Polearm Mastery) to hurt things better, Resilience(Wisdom) to not completely suck at wisdom saves.

Eslin
2014-09-18, 02:48 AM
Well, you also get an extra attack and 2 ability improvements/feats, which I don't think is terrible.

Which you get as any kind of fighter. Battlemaster is very good early, but if you want to take a lot of levels of fighter, EK is superior. BT starts off ok and gets small amounts of the same, while EK keeps scaling - each time you reach a new milestone, the battlemaster maneuevers get less and less useful (since you can take them all at the start, and presumably took the good ones immediately) while EK gets better and better spells.

hymer
2014-09-18, 02:51 AM
@ OP: The levels you'll be playing are quite important. A barbarian, for instance, is a good tank from level 1, and deals comparatively good damage from levels 1-10. The moon druid (I realize you won't be playing one) deals great damage levels 2-4, but it falls behind the curve as levels increase, much like the barbarian. On the other hand, the fighter can withstand less of a beating, but gets better in the damage department as levels climb, reigning supreme for toe-to-toe-damage-without-spending-resources at level 20.
Paladins in this game seems to be bursters, able to deal a lot of damage in a short time, but expending precious resources in doing so, so they can't keep it up. They can likewise turn on the tankiness as required, but also for limited amounts of time.
If you count the rogue as martial, an assassin rogue can really tear an enemy apart in the beginning of a fight, and they don't spend resources to do so. But it requires a specific style of play for your group to get the required surprise. Rogues are somewhat glass cannony, dealing poorly with groups. They certainly can't stay in melee for as long as the actual tanks, though they do have some nifty tricks to use in what amounts to duels.

So it depends on the levels you expect to play at, but also on the kind of damage you want to deal - and how confidently you want to be able to stay in melee to deal that damage.

Malifice
2014-09-18, 06:11 AM
Bear Totem Barbarian looks very nice. Resistance to all damage except psychic, highest HD in the game, damage bonuses, and advantage on attack rolls whenever you want it seems pretty awesome. Throw some heavy armor on that

A lot of the Barb abilities arent available if you wear heavy armor man.

(Subtracting 3 from halved damage means that any weapon damage less than 7 is reduced to zero).

You subtract before dividing in 5e.

hymer
2014-09-18, 07:04 AM
You subtract before dividing in 5e.

Great! I'd been wondering about that. Where did you find it?

Vowtz
2014-09-18, 08:44 AM
Great! I'd been wondering about that. Where did you find it?

PHB p. 197

hymer
2014-09-18, 09:28 AM
PHB p. 197

Much obliged! :smallsmile:

Sartharina
2014-09-18, 10:33 AM
I would recomend barbarian5/ fighter3(battlemaster)/ ranger3(hunter) in that order

I would not. One feat/ability boost over 11 levels? Are you insane? I'd go straight Champion Fighter over that.

Z3ro
2014-09-18, 11:15 AM
Which you get as any kind of fighter. Battlemaster is very good early, but if you want to take a lot of levels of fighter, EK is superior. BT starts off ok and gets small amounts of the same, while EK keeps scaling - each time you reach a new milestone, the battlemaster maneuevers get less and less useful (since you can take them all at the start, and presumably took the good ones immediately) while EK gets better and better spells.

A lot of people keep saying that picking BM maneuvers are a matter of picking the best ones first then garbage later, but my table experience has been contrary to that. The different maneuvers do different things, so depending on what you want to accomplish, a different maneuver will be required.

Our BM fighter started with riposte, menacing strike, and trip attack. When we hit level 7, he took commander's stike and maneuvering attack. At 7, he could better afford to give up an attack to make the rogue attack again, something he couldn't do well at 3, and maneuvering attack gives him options to help control the battlefield and keep said rogue out of danger.

The main problem isn't quality of maneuvers, it's been lack of superiority dice.

Vowtz
2014-09-18, 11:25 AM
I would not. One feat/ability boost over 11 levels? Are you insane? I'd go straight Champion Fighter over that.
Make that fighter 4.

Please don't mislead the OP by saying straigth champion is a good option, sarcasm is usually a poor choice when interacting with strangers.

MustacheFart
2014-09-18, 12:35 PM
Rogues are somewhat glass cannony, dealing poorly with groups. They certainly can't stay in melee for as long as the actual tanks, though they do have some nifty tricks to use in what amounts to duels.

I don't entirely agree with this statement. Rogues have access to bonus action disengage and hide. They also get evasion and uncanny dodge. These features can make them pretty tanky.

That said, if you want what I sort of believe is the 5e version of an ubercharger (minus the huge bonus from charging which doesn't seem to exist in 5e) then I would say Barbarian/Rogue.

A fairly deadly combo would be Half Orc Barbarian x/Rogue (assassin) 4.

Right out the gate you would deal 3 times your weapons damage die on crits which you automatically get during a surprise round. Two from critting and one from being a Half Orc. You would also add sneak attack on there which is also doubled on that automatic crit. Plus, once you have 2 levels of Barbarian mixed in you can get advantage on your attacks whenever you want, which means sneak attack whenever you want. You then have disengage/hide from rogue to get away from any enemies left standing until the next round when you strike again. You can either go the Berserker path with barbarian to tack on a bonus action attack whenever raging or the totem path to pick up bear totem and become resistant to all damage except psychic (when raging). Toss in the Great Weapon Master feat (I think that's the name) and when you drop a foe or crit (see auto-crit from assassin) you can then make a bonus action attack for free. If that extra attack is during a surprise round then that means it crits automatically as well. Use either a Great Axe or Greatsword to maximize the damage or a reach weapon to add a little more defense + make use of your reactions.

At level 8 you would have something like this:

Half-Orc Barbarian 5/Rogue 3.

~During a surprise round~
(GreatAxe)
3d12 + 4d6 (Sneak Attack) + Str = 33.5 + Str average damage on your first attack with the following follow up attacks
3d12 + Str = 19.5 + str average damage (via Extra Attack from Barbarian lvl 5)
3d12 + Str = 19.5 + str average damage (via Great Weapon Master feat)

All attacks would have advantage as well. That's a total of 72.5 + (3 x Str) average damage in a turn. That's not too bad imo. Plus it's pretty fun to sneak around and drop the hammer. Barbarian Reckless Attacks would ensure you get advantage on attacks during subsequent rounds. Up the damage slightly more if you are raging.

EDIT: Just reread Great Weapon Master feat. You can sacrifice -5 to the hit to do 10 more damage as well. On attacks with advantage that could be worth it. That means your total damage above could go up to 102.5 +(3x Str) on average. Pretty nice.

To ensure you go before your enemy take barbarian up through level 7 for advantage on initiative checks and you could also pick up the Alert feat at level 8.

If you're going to be playing in HOTDQ I would recommend this build as you will be sneaking around a lot (at least we have had to thus far).

Heck, I could see a final build of Bear Totem Barbarian 12/Assassin Rogue 4/Battlemaster Fighter 4 being pretty nice.

Xetheral
2014-09-18, 01:16 PM
Heck, I could see a final build of Bear Totem Barbarian 12/Assassin Rogue 4/Battlemaster Fighter 4 being pretty nice.

Replace some of that Barbarian with Paladin levels to go extra-crazy in the surprise round with double-damage smites. Also, don't forget Action Surge.

Shining Wrath
2014-09-18, 01:29 PM
High damage is probably Barbarian to start with (Rage. 'nuff said) and then add ... something.

I think Paladin for Smite and auras, or Rogue for first-round sneak attack goodness.

TheOOB
2014-09-18, 01:31 PM
Grab a fighter or barbarian, put a high score in strength, and viola, you have a competent martial character with almost no effort.

Rilak
2014-09-18, 02:09 PM
~During a surprise round~
(GreatAxe)
3d12 + 4d6 (Sneak Attack) + Str = 33.5 + Str average damage on your first attack with the following follow up attacks
3d12 + Str = 19.5 + str average damage (via Extra Attack from Barbarian lvl 5)
3d12 + Str = 19.5 + str average damage (via Great Weapon Master feat)

You can't sneak attack with a greataxe. You need to use a Finesse or Ranged weapon. Barbarian/Rogue is pretty much Rapier+Shield. You are allowed to use STR to attack and sneak attack; and you must use STR if you want the Rage damage bonus; throw in a level of Fighter and get +2 damage for using only a 1H weapon. You can still use Great Weapon Master if you like (but you are unable to rage and use the attack during a surprise round, and you cannot to -5/+10). Assume STR=+5:
3d8+4d6+2+STR=29.5+Str (First)
3d8+2+STR=15.5+Str (Extra)
3d8+2+STR=15.5+Str (Great Weapon Master)
=60.5+3*Str

Raging 1H:
3d8+4d6+4+STR=31.5+Str (First)
3d8+4+STR=17.5+Str (Extra)
=49.0+2*Str

TWF (Fighter 1+Feat for Rapiers):
3d8+4d6+STR=27.5
3d8+STR=13.5
3d8+STR=13.5
=54.5

The damage is not at all as impressive as with a Greataxe, but it is legal. Barbarian 2 gives you advantage whenever you want it, so more Rogue levels is an option.

Dralnu
2014-09-18, 02:14 PM
You would also add sneak attack on there which is also doubled on that automatic crit.

You can only sneak attack with finesse or ranged weapons. Can't do it with a greataxe.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Speaker
2014-09-18, 02:28 PM
BM fighter with Polearm mastery+Sentinel+Great Weapon Master. Have fun. Basically you're Xin Zhao from LoL.

Sartharina
2014-09-18, 02:43 PM
Make that fighter 4.

Please don't mislead the OP by saying straigth champion is a good option, sarcasm is usually a poor choice when interacting with strangers.

The straight champion works as a strong-but-boring choice, and gets a lot of mileage out of Hulk Smashing with a Great Weapon. Improved Crit is incredibly useful.

That said, I don't see why Remarkable Athlete doesn't stack with proficiency, giving already-athletic+acrobatic fighters even greater athleticism+acrobatics. I mean - Rogues+bards get Expertise, after all.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-18, 02:57 PM
That said, I don't see why Remarkable Athlete doesn't stack with proficiency, giving already-athletic+acrobatic fighters even greater athleticism+acrobatics. I mean - Rogues+bards get Expertise, after all.

Remarkable Athlete is supposed to be more like Jack of All Trades.

Sartharina
2014-09-18, 03:00 PM
Remarkable Athlete is supposed to be more like Jack of All Trades.

But it's useless to anyone who's actually athletic as a character concept! (But does give a boost to stealth and Sleight of hand... so... yay?)

MustacheFart
2014-09-18, 03:12 PM
You can't sneak attack with a greataxe. You need to use a Finesse or Ranged weapon. Barbarian/Rogue is pretty much Rapier+Shield. You are allowed to use STR to attack and sneak attack; and you must use STR if you want the Rage damage bonus; throw in a level of Fighter and get +2 damage for using only a 1H weapon. You can still use Great Weapon Master if you like (but you are unable to rage and use the attack during a surprise round, and you cannot to -5/+10). Assume STR=+5:
3d8+4d6+2+STR=29.5+Str (First)
3d8+2+STR=15.5+Str (Extra)
3d8+2+STR=15.5+Str (Great Weapon Master)
=60.5+3*Str

Raging 1H:
3d8+4d6+4+STR=31.5+Str (First)
3d8+4+STR=17.5+Str (Extra)
=49.0+2*Str

TWF (Fighter 1+Feat for Rapiers):
3d8+4d6+STR=27.5
3d8+STR=13.5
3d8+STR=13.5
=54.5

The damage is not at all as impressive as with a Greataxe, but it is legal. Barbarian 2 gives you advantage whenever you want it, so more Rogue levels is an option.

Damn... That's what I get for going completely off memory for most of it.

I do suppose you could still get the extra attack from Great Weapon Master AND get the -5/+10 bonus during a surprise round.

Correct me if i am wrong but you could do the following:

Greataxe: 3d12 + 10 + Str = 29.5 + Str (first attack)
Greataxe: 3d12 + 10 + Str = 29.5 + Str (second attack)
*drop great axe or big weapon and draw rapier/finesse weapon*
Rapier: 3d8 + 4d6 + Str = 13.5 + 14 + Str = 27.5 + Str (Bonus Attack Sneak Attack)
Total Damage = 86.5 + (3 x Str)

MUCH better for an opening attack. Anything wrong with that? There's nothing that says sneak attack has to be the first attack.

Plus the thematics of it are great. A big guy hacking at you with his weapon, rushing in close only to deliver that final blow in a much more personal way with his big ol' knife.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-18, 03:21 PM
But it's useless to anyone who's actually athletic as a character concept! (But does give a boost to stealth and Sleight of hand... so... yay?)

Skills aren't inherently tied to specific abilities.

Intimidate is usually a Charisma check; but if you want to make a show of force, it becomes Strength.

You just have to be creative in your skill checks.

Maybe you turn Perception in to a Strength check by tearing apart everything in the room looking for clues, instead of relying on your Wisdom to let you notice one of the drawers in a desk might have a false bottom.

Maybe you turn Perception in to a Dexterity check by using your deft fingers to find how a box opens, rather than relying on your Wisdom to spot the subtle hints at where it opens.

Even though it doesn't apply here, I think a true test of RP would be making Sleight of Hand a Strength check.

Sartharina
2014-09-18, 03:42 PM
Maybe you turn Perception in to a Strength check by tearing apart everything in the room looking for clues, instead of relying on your Wisdom to let you notice one of the drawers in a desk might have a false bottom.

Maybe you turn Perception in to a Dexterity check by using your deft fingers to find how a box opens, rather than relying on your Wisdom to spot the subtle hints at where it opens.

That's Investigate, not Perception.

Hytheter
2014-09-18, 10:34 PM
Even though it doesn't apply here, I think a true test of RP would be making Sleight of Hand a Strength check.

The sneaky rogue "accidentally" bumps into the target, subtly takes the wallet from his pants pocket and then quickly absconds before anyone notices what happened.

The burly Fighter very obviously bumps into the target, rips his whole leg clean off and cleaves through all who dare oppose him.