PDA

View Full Version : The other titanium elementals (Spoiler, maybe)

Atheist_Cleric
2007-03-11, 07:43 PM
Well V successfully took down three of the giant titanium monsters, but that still leaves two for the rest of the order to handle. Haley, Eland and Durkon are on one, Belkar and Roy on the other. Let's start with Elan etc...how are they going to beat theirs? Elan has a magical weapon, but its a rapier, not exactly designed for damaging large animated blocks of strong metal. Haley has arrows...yeah, i'm thinking unless she has magic or explosive arrows, thats not going to help much. Durkon is perhaps the one with the best shot here, his Thor's lightning or some other spell may be enough to do it.

Now Belkar and Roy. Belkar is still prevented from lethal damage, and even if he wasnt, he uses DAGGERS. Now, when you're a psychotic midget with a love for making fleshy things bleed, daggers are ok. Agaisnt this? Not so good. We dont even know if Belkars daggers are magical or +1/2 etc, he's had the same weapons since the start of the comic. Roy on the other hand, has a +5 magic greatsword. Maybe some kind of maul or mace with the same enchancements would work better, but I can still see Roy being able to cut it up a bit.

Thoughts, anyone?

fwiffo
2007-03-11, 07:47 PM
What, Azure city has no other wizards? Just because Vaarsuvius is a PC (and his display of heroics was indeed impressive), doesn't mean everyone else is just waiting for OOTS to do everything. Besides, no reason to suspect Vaarsuvius is out of the scrolls.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-11, 08:33 PM
Well V successfully took down three of the giant titanium monsters, but that still leaves two for the rest of the order to handle. Haley, Eland and Durkon are on one, Belkar and Roy on the other. Let's start with Elan etc...how are they going to beat theirs? Elan has a magical weapon, but its a rapier, not exactly designed for damaging large animated blocks of strong metal. Haley has arrows...yeah, i'm thinking unless she has magic or explosive arrows, thats not going to help much. Durkon is perhaps the one with the best shot here, his Thor's lightning or some other spell may be enough to do it.

Now Belkar and Roy. Belkar is still prevented from lethal damage, and even if he wasnt, he uses DAGGERS. Now, when you're a psychotic midget with a love for making fleshy things bleed, daggers are ok. Agaisnt this? Not so good. We dont even know if Belkars daggers are magical or +1/2 etc, he's had the same weapons since the start of the comic. Roy on the other hand, has a +5 magic greatsword. Maybe some kind of maul or mace with the same enchancements would work better, but I can still see Roy being able to cut it up a bit.

Thoughts, anyone?
Sneak attacks should be able to get over the damage reduction no matter how reddiculous it is.

Belkar is able to freely harm the elements I'd guess. He has good strength and barbarian rage and Roy has a very special sword. Who know what it'll do.

Rama_Lei
2007-03-11, 08:42 PM
Sneak attacks should be able to get over the damage reduction no matter how reddiculous it is.

Belkar is able to freely harm the elements I'd guess. He has good strength and barbarian rage and Roy has a very special sword. Who know what it'll do.
Can't sneak attack an elemental.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-11, 09:09 PM
Yah can't? I don't know then. Um, lightning bolt?

Ted_Stryker
2007-03-11, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking there might be a reprisal of Thor's Might from Durkon.

Balesirion
2007-03-11, 09:41 PM
Dismissal is only a 4th level cleric spell, and I'd be willing to bet that Durkon prepared at least one, for the same reasons as V.

Megalomaniac2
2007-03-11, 10:18 PM
My money is on Durkon kicking tail here, or maybe one of the NPCs. Don't see how any of the other characters can harm giant titanium thingies.

Registered111
2007-03-11, 11:25 PM

::Checks::
I don't anything to that effect. Are you sure you're not confusing elementals with constructs?

kpenguin
2007-03-11, 11:33 PM
:redcloak: said that the titanium elementals were just as strong as earth elementals. This means that the most the titanium elementals could have in way of DR is 10/--. My thoughts on how the OotS could try to defeat the bigguns:

:roy: POWER ATTACK! Seriously, Roy can probably do more than ten damage per hit, so he's probably going to deal at least some damage per blow
:belkar: Almost useless here. Belkar relies on stealth and surprise. No point with elementals. Could help flank.
:haley: Like Belkar, Haley relies on stealth. No sneak attacking the elemental, so haley will be doing little to no damage to the titanium dudes. Like Belkar, Haley could help flank them.
:durkon: Thor's Might could allow Durkon to smash the elementals, but I think he would be better off using other spells. Thor's lightning would bypass the DR...
:elan: "Kill, kill, kill the big scary elementals"

Rawhide
2007-03-11, 11:37 PM
I don't anything to that effect. Are you sure you're not confusing elementals with constructs?

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm#sneakAttack

Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#elementalType

Nightmarenny
2007-03-11, 11:46 PM
:redcloak: said that the titanium elementals were just as strong as earth elementals. This means that the most the titanium elementals could have in way of DR is 10/--. My thoughts on how the OotS could try to defeat the bigguns:

:roy: POWER ATTACK! Seriously, Roy can probably do more than ten damage per hit, so he's probably going to deal at least some damage per blow
:belkar: Almost useless here. Belkar relies on stealth and surprise. No point with elementals. Could help flank.
:haley: Like Belkar, Haley relies on stealth. No sneak attacking the elemental, so haley will be doing little to no damage to the titanium dudes. Like Belkar, Haley could help flank them.
:durkon: Thor's Might could allow Durkon to smash the elementals, but I think he would be better off using other spells. Thor's lightning would bypass the DR...
:elan: "Kill, kill, kill the big scary elementals"
Belkar-what? He does when he faught Miko but other than that he goes the sociopath route of attacking with redicculous strangth.

Assassinfox
2007-03-11, 11:47 PM
Belkar could put a price on the elemental's head...

kpenguin
2007-03-11, 11:48 PM
Belkar is a melee fighter with optimized stats, but suffers from the same -2 penalty to strength all halflings do. Plus daggers, which are like 1d3 damage for small characters. And half damage on his off hand dagger. Belkar relies on stealth. Not good here.

Felius
2007-03-12, 08:33 PM
Belkar is a melee fighter with optimized stats, but suffers from the same -2 penalty to strength all halflings do. Plus daggers, which are like 1d3 damage for small characters. And half damage on his off hand dagger. Belkar relies on stealth. Not good here.

P.S. Not half damage on the off hand but half strength bonus on the off hand

Deme
2007-03-12, 08:57 PM
A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks.

Elementals aren't on that list...and the elemental type does not list being immune to criticals, and thus, not to sneak attacks. So Haley's sneak attack would work.

Pyrian
2007-03-12, 09:25 PM
...and the elemental type does not list being immune to criticals...

Yes, it does. Did you even look? Rawhide provided a handy link, y'know.

kpenguin
2007-03-12, 09:49 PM
It looks like we'll never know how they beat them. It looks like Roy took the center stage, though.

archon_huskie
2007-03-12, 10:14 PM
We got as good of an answer as we are going to get.

Kreistor
2007-03-12, 10:33 PM
Or the Giant painted himself into a corner and just handwaved the solution.

Demented
2007-03-12, 10:54 PM
He probably just couldn't think of a good joke/strip for the elemental-bashing.
Which is a shame, really. I enjoy the strips where Roy swings his big fat sword around.

It also could be that he has a plan for the M/W/F strips. (New scene on M, continued on W, climax on F. I think it's been done before, though it may have been unintentional.)

Kreistor
2007-03-12, 11:12 PM
Made a fundamental mistake. NM.

dragoncmd
2007-03-12, 11:28 PM
Sneak atack requires "discernable anatomy". I don't think a giant blob of metal has that.

dakiwiboid
2007-03-12, 11:34 PM
Belkar is still prevented from lethal damage, and even if he wasnt, he uses DAGGERS.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think it might be possible to argue over whether or not a creature conjured from titanium constituted a living being. Doesn't the Mark of Justice only enjoin him from harming living beings? Frankly, when he gets in one of his "Bite Me" moods, I can't see having only two daggers stopping him from doing some significant damage.

Kreistor
2007-03-12, 11:48 PM
Under Elemental Type in the Monster Manual...

"Not subject to critical hits or flanking."

Anything immune to critical hits is immune to sneak attack.