PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What are the best candidate spells for Contingency?

Zubrowka74
2014-09-17, 10:52 PM
As stated in the title, given the limitations of the Contingency spell in Pathfinder, what are the best spells to use?

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-17, 11:03 PM
Resilient Sphere
Emergency Force Sphere
Breath of Life*
Heal*
Teleport
Dimension Door
Greater Invisibility
Mirror Image

*Divine spells, so not an option for most with Contingency

Mirakk
2014-09-18, 12:01 AM
Contingency: Mirror Image is kind of a waste, considering Greater Mirror Image exists and is an immediate action that also creates additional images, thus making it strictly better.

Not picking, but trying to be helpful here. You could definitely do better on that one!

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-18, 12:10 AM
Contingency: Mirror Image is kind of a waste, considering Greater Mirror Image exists and is an immediate action that also creates additional images, thus making it strictly better.

Not picking, but trying to be helpful here. You could definitely do better on that one!

Yeah, the Mirror Image one was kind of a lazy addition on my part, I forgot that GMI exists in PF.

I suppose I should add my old standby choice for Contingency: Mage's Lucubration. Not to save you in an emergency, but simply for the ability to call up any 5th level or lower spell you know on the spot whenever needed. Cause what wizard *doesn't* put dozens of incredibly situational spells into his spellbook? My trigger for the contingency was having my character declare,"I came re-prepared for this!" :smallwink:

andreww
2014-09-18, 07:43 AM
Yeah, the Mirror Image one was kind of a lazy addition on my part, I forgot that GMI exists in PF.
Which PF source is Greater Mirror Image in as I am not finding it anywhere.

Mirakk
2014-09-18, 09:15 AM
Which PF source is Greater Mirror Image in as I am not finding it anywhere.

Ah! When I'd made the original reply I didn't catch the fact we were talking about pathfinder. I didn't read properly apparently.

It may or may not exist! Sorry!

MightyPirate
2014-09-18, 09:41 AM
It isn't in Pathfinder to my knowledge. This actually makes mirror image a decent option before more powerful spells become available. Protection from Evil (or other), Antimagic Field (to protect conjurations from Disjunction) are decent options. If plundering contingency as a cleric, druid, or oracle you also really like the antilife shell option.

Zubrowka74
2014-09-18, 11:27 AM
And since it only allows one to be active at a time, would you say this is a waste of known spell for a spontaneous caster?

Sayt
2014-09-18, 11:33 AM
Resilient Sphere
Emergency Force Sphere

Really? it's an immediate action, it doesn't really need to be contingent. Assuming a decent perception score, I guess.

Globe of Invulnerability isn't a bad choice, seeing as most blasting optimizations tend to use scorching ray as a base point. My runesmith has this in case the parties spellwarp sniper decides to off him with occular maximised blah blah blah scorching rays for 300 odd damage or something. (It's a tense party).

Resist Energy, if your GM lets you choose the element when the contingency triggers.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-18, 04:12 PM
Really? it's an immediate action, it doesn't really need to be contingent. Assuming a decent perception score, I guess.

Yeah, I listed it mainly because you can't take immediate actions when flatfooted, so EFS, while quite overpowered and useful as a panic button on its own, still has some use for contingency, if you're really paranoid. Perhaps it doesn't belong on the list of good choices, though.

nedz
2014-09-18, 05:16 PM
And since it only allows one to be active at a time, would you say this is a waste of known spell for a spontaneous caster?

It depends upon your strategy. It probably wouldn't be your first choice of spells known at that level and you could always buy scrolls of Contingency.

andreww
2014-09-18, 05:25 PM
Paragon Surge or a Scroll with Mnemonic Vestment are probably better options.

Zubrowka74
2014-09-19, 09:40 AM
It depends upon your strategy. It probably wouldn't be your first choice of spells known at that level and you could always buy scrolls of Contingency.

Yeah, considering that the spell is 1500 GP a casting and the scroll is... 1650 ?

EDIT: And also, Limited Wish would work for this, albeit a level higher. In downtime this doesn't change a thing.

Sayt
2014-09-19, 11:33 AM
It's a 1500 gp focus, not material component. It's reusable.

Zubrowka74
2014-09-19, 11:38 AM
It's a 1500 gp focus, not material component. It's reusable.

True. Got mixed up with limited wish.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-09-19, 01:50 PM
Mythic Contingency adds half your tier to the number you can have up. Thought I might put that out there.