PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic Hunter questions

Diachronos
2014-09-18, 12:27 AM
Bit of background: In one campaign I'm in, the DM just ascended us to our first Mythic tier. I just brought in a new character; the Arcanist I had put together was fun, but I decided to do something else because we had all of 2 martial characters in the party (a Synthesist Summoner and a Bladed Scarf Dancer Magus). Long story short, Kizzik the Kobold Vermin Hunter was rolled.

I don't have any experience with Mythic campaigns, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to choose. I do know that Archmage and Marshal aren't the paths that I want, and Hierophant and Guardian don't feel right either, so that leaves Trickster and Champion. Most likely I'm going to be focusing on dealing as much damage as I can while my giant mantis companion helps out on the front line, so those seems like the ideal paths.

Kizzik is currently level 1, so he's just getting started (first feat is Weapon Finesse, and first Mythic feat is Mythic Weapon Finesse). The questions I have:

Champion seems like the better option, but for a semi-stealthy Hunter would it be better to take that or Trickster? (Note that I intend to go straight Hunter)
What path abilities are recommended for a DPS character? Limitless Range looks like a fun one, but are there any others that would be a good pick?
Is there a way to make my animal companion truly count as a mythic creature? I know there's a feat to make him count as one when affected by Mythic spells/effects, but I was hoping to be able to give him actual Mythic abilities/feats too.

EDIT: After reviewing Kizzik's stats, I rearranged a couple of things to make him more effective at melee. The original focus was going to be ranged attacks, but I've decided to have him be more melee instead (f***ing LOVE Mythic Weapon Finesse!). So now, instead of +2 on melee attack/damage rolls he's getting a total of +5.

Giddonihah
2014-09-18, 03:13 AM
For your animal companion you will want Guardian, it can give it Surges, extra attacks, and eventually 1st Tier Guardian Path. But its true that outside of those its mostly defense oriented. That said the Universal Path Legendary Weapon is fantastic, make sure your weapon has foebiter (x2 damage) and you won't ever regret it. A legendary weapon gets its own surges that you can use to make an important attack hit. Since its a Universal Path it has the added bonus that it doesn't care about what class you choose.

Alternatively consider the Dual Path mythic feat. Its an alright mythic feat just from giving a lvl 1 ability and it gives you more options. Just be sure to make the class that gives the most HP your main one. You don't actually need to take it Tier 1.

Also the Trickster class can steal one path from somewhere else, that's always important to remember if theirs only one thing you want from elsewhere.

Edit: Good Dps feats are Mythic Power attack, Mythic Vital Strike (It makes Vital Strike worth it), NOT MYTHIC TWF, Mythic Arcane Strike (Arcane Strike was good, but this frees up your swift actions). Since you are a Hunter, and thus have some spellcasting, I advise you to look at Mythic Spellcasting, theres some Mythic Versions of Buffspells that are really good. Take a look at Mythic Magic Fang, Mythic Animal Aspect, Mythic Barkskin.

Alleran
2014-09-18, 09:25 AM
Champion seems like the better option, but for a semi-stealthy Hunter would it be better to take that or Trickster? (Note that I intend to go straight Hunter)
Either is usable. Champion is for dealing more damage yourself. Trickster gives you more stealth, but has some okay damage stuff in there (and also has Fleet Charge, like Champion). Guardian can bump up the effectiveness of your animal companion, but Hierophant will do that as well (it'll also give your Hunter access to Inspired Spell for his, albeit 6-level, casting). The Guardian path, while I like the idea behind it, is probably the worst path.

If you can't choose, you can always take the Dual Path feat at 1st level, which will let you have a primary path and a secondary path, and take path abilities from both.

What path abilities are recommended for a DPS character? Limitless Range looks like a fun one, but are there any others that would be a good pick?
Depends on your path choice. Browsing through Champion, there's the beautiful duet of Fleet Warrior and Precision. Stacking yourself up with an artifact weapon via Legendary Item is also fun. Foe-Biting will bring the pain.

Feats are easier. Just look at the feats you've got, and see what the mythic improvements are. Mythic Improved Critical is a good one.

Is there a way to make my animal companion truly count as a mythic creature? I know there's a feat to make him count as one when affected by Mythic spells/effects, but I was hoping to be able to give him actual Mythic abilities/feats too.
I don't think so. There are a couple of Guardian and Marshal abilities that allow your animal companion to get access to some Mythic abilities, but they'll cost you path abilities that would otherwise be used to boost you. There is a 3rd Party Mythic variant of the Leadership feat that allows your cohort to gain mythic tiers itself. I haven't checked to see if there's one that would apply to an animal companion, but you could certainly ask your DM to see if he's willing to allow it.