PDA

View Full Version : Etherguant info needed

j_spencer93
2014-09-18, 04:25 AM
I am trying to create a bad guy using the Etherguants but am finding little info on them. SO i came here to ask for any source that mentions them, any edition would work.

Brookshw
2014-09-18, 05:12 AM
Fiend Folio. Edit: I should probably specify 3e. Anything in particular you're trying to find?

Karnith
2014-09-18, 05:24 AM
Ethergaunts are mainly described in the Fiend Folio, though there is a bit of info on them elsewhere - Dungeon Magazine #143, for example, has an adventure called Mask of Diamond Tears that features some additional history and a Khen-Zai antagonist.

Eldan
2014-09-18, 05:48 AM
If you're open for fan works, Ripvanwormer is about as good as it gets.

Masters of the Ethereal. (http://www.oocities.org/ripvanwormer/ethergaunts.html)

Written from a Planescape perspective, though.

BWR
2014-09-18, 07:46 AM
If you're open for fan works, Ripvanwormer is about as good as it gets.

Masters of the Ethereal. (http://www.oocities.org/ripvanwormer/ethergaunts.html)

Written from a Planescape perspective, though.

Rip is indeed an awesome fellow, but Mechalich isn't Rip. ;)

Brookshw
2014-09-18, 08:07 AM
Rip is indeed an awesome fellow, but Mechalich isn't Rip. ;)

I suspect someone salvaged it from the planewalker crash and reposted it, hence why its in the ripvanwormer folder :smallwink:

j_spencer93
2014-09-18, 11:58 PM
Well if that is all there is on them then i guess i know everything there is to know. Awesome idea but kinda need some fleshing out.

BWR
2014-09-19, 01:15 AM
Flesh them out yourself. That is the core of the Planescape community. Come up with awesome ideas and share them with others.

Eldan
2014-09-19, 01:35 AM
Yeah. They were introduced in the Fiend Folio, so they don't have any old history, despite how cool they are. And as far as I can tell, they weren't used again much later.

Tvtyrant
2014-09-19, 01:37 AM
Personally I give them (and several other aberrations) the Craft Device feat from Legacy of Blood (a third party book set in Ravenloft.) This allows them to make none-magical magic items called devices (a different version can be found in the Gnome Artificer class in Magic of Faerun.)

This gives them none-magical "science," which they are fluffed to have anyways. I also tend to have them in direct competition with the other powerful aberrant super-races, such as the Beholders, Aboleths and Mindflayers.

Eldan
2014-09-19, 02:32 AM
Aboleths work well, yeah. They seem to be similarly old.

My own campaign setting is set in the ethereal, so they occur regularly. Though I tend to mix them up with 40ks Necrons a fair bit.

Brookshw
2014-09-19, 08:34 AM
On the note of devices here's some more homebrew (http://mimir.planewalker.com/050406/ethergaunt-devices) if you're interested. You may also want to read up on the Ethereal, especially the deep Ethereal.

Tvtyrant
2014-09-19, 04:35 PM
Aboleths work well, yeah. They seem to be similarly old.

My own campaign setting is set in the ethereal, so they occur regularly. Though I tend to mix them up with 40ks Necrons a fair bit.

I am assuming the Retcrons and not the old, C'tann worshipping ones?