PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Background: Doctor

JamesIntrocaso
2014-09-18, 08:14 AM
Hey all! So I wrote up a doctor/vet background (http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/09/18/whats-up-doc/). Let me know what you think, particularly of the background features, traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws. Thanks!

Liberivore
2015-09-21, 05:15 PM
Very good, should have been done before.

Nitpicking:

-there's no Evil doctor? Really? Oppenheimer springs to mind or "Knowledge is like a knife. In the hands of a well-balanced adult it is an instrument for good of inestimable value; but in the hands of a child, an idiot, a criminal, a drunkard or an insane man, it may cause havoc, misery, suffering and crime." and I don't care science rules or 'I want fame and prestige' or 'I want to extend my own life by all means'/'I want to destroy death' or 'I am broken by a past failure' (Dr. Hogback from One Piece combines the latter two). There's a gap that needs filling there.

-"My opinion is always factually correct". How is that a flaw?

-The features might need balancing, they are very very good. Money AND access to free healing? Opportunity to steal any horse in the country? Not giving my players that without restrictions.

All in all, very good.

JNAProductions
2015-09-21, 05:25 PM

They overestimate the value of their own opinion is how.

Princess
2015-09-22, 09:51 PM
Very good, should have been done before.

Nitpicking:

-there's no Evil doctor? Really? Oppenheimer springs to mind or "Knowledge is like a knife. In the hands of a well-balanced adult it is an instrument for good of inestimable value; but in the hands of a child, an idiot, a criminal, a drunkard or an insane man, it may cause havoc, misery, suffering and crime." and I don't care science rules or 'I want fame and prestige' or 'I want to extend my own life by all means'/'I want to destroy death' or 'I am broken by a past failure' (Dr. Hogback from One Piece combines the latter two). There's a gap that needs filling there.

-The features might need balancing, they are very very good. Money AND access to free healing? Opportunity to steal any horse in the country? Not giving my players that without restrictions.

All in all, very good.

The last flaw listed is pretty close to Evil.

And "My opinion is always factually correct" is both hubris and factually incorrect, because opinions are not facts. Which means the doctor in question is both stubborn and says stupid things.