PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Society legal Optimization, cleric, witch, gunslinger.

Drackstin
2014-09-18, 09:44 AM
Next week i am starting a pathfinder Society game with a friend of mine and my girlfriend. we have picked gunslinger, witch and cleric. i have never played pathfinder before, and seeing all the cool options for classes and races are cool, but there is also a lot i can't pick from. so i was wondering if there are some sure fire ways i can go.
for the witch everything is still up in the air, so any information is good.
for the gunslinger my friend picked half orc, other then that he has nothing picked
for the cleric, im going to be CN and a worshiper of rovagug, i would like to be a battle cleric and human, but ill take suggestions. also i would like to find something in a bull rush style. since rovagug has two good bull rush feats, also chaos, destruction and war domains, and good subdomains.

thanks for the help

Psyren
2014-09-18, 10:04 AM
1) Google "Witch handbook pathfinder." Find at least two of them so you can distill the best strategy that fits your playstyle.
2) Cross reference any suggestions the guide or guides make against the PFS ban list (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources) to be sure you're doing something PFS legal.
3) Once you're satisfied - repeat this process with the other two classes.

Handbooks are the best place to start since there are so many options in this game, it can get pretty daunting if you're brand new to it or to a class.

Also, there are basic PF rules you will need to know like CMB and CMD - if there's anything you're not clear on, feel free to ask here.

GreyBlack
2014-09-18, 10:16 AM
Next week i am starting a pathfinder Society game with a friend of mine and my girlfriend. we have picked gunslinger, witch and cleric. i have never played pathfinder before, and seeing all the cool options for classes and races are cool, but there is also a lot i can't pick from. so i was wondering if there are some sure fire ways i can go.
for the witch everything is still up in the air, so any information is good.
for the gunslinger my friend picked half orc, other then that he has nothing picked
for the cleric, im going to be CN and a worshiper of rovagug, i would like to be a battle cleric and human, but ill take suggestions. also i would like to find something in a bull rush style. since rovagug has two good bull rush feats, also chaos, destruction and war domains, and good subdomains.

thanks for the help

First, Rovagug is evil and has the evil domain, so I don't see how you'll get the good subdomain.

Secondly, I'm actually liking this concept. One thing you'll want to pick up is Channel Smite, seeing as you'll probably be channeling negative energy, and using that to mow down legions. In addition, the Bull Rush Strike feat would be up your alley.

ETA: Also, see if you can pick up a high-crit chance weapon and use that to guarantee yourself critical hits for Bull Rushing.

grarrrg
2014-09-18, 10:26 AM
First, Rovagug is evil and has the evil domain, so I don't see how you'll get the good subdomain.

He believes that the subdomains granted by Rovagug are better than average, thus they are "good options" for subdomains.

Drackstin
2014-09-18, 10:31 AM
1) Google "Witch handbook pathfinder." Find at least two of them so you can distill the best strategy that fits your playstyle.
2) Cross reference any suggestions the guide or guides make against the PFS ban list (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources) to be sure you're doing something PFS legal.
3) Once you're satisfied - repeat this process with the other two classes.

Handbooks are the best place to start since there are so many options in this game, it can get pretty daunting if you're brand new to it or to a class.

Also, there are basic PF rules you will need to know like CMB and CMD - if there's anything you're not clear on, feel free to ask here.

i have played 3.5 for years but i never even looked at pathfinder, so things like cmb and cmd are alien to me. i have 4 witch handbooks and they are very opinionated and nothing points out anything for society. but they are very good. its just hard to pick witch so many options. also the witch is for my girlfriend so i think she will pick a race by look and not stats lol.

Secondly, I'm actually liking this concept. One thing you'll want to pick up is Channel Smite, seeing as you'll probably be channeling negative energy, and using that to mow down legions. In addition, the Bull Rush Strike feat would be up your alley.

ETA: Also, see if you can pick up a high-crit chance weapon and use that to guarantee yourself critical hits for Bull Rushing.

not the "good subdomain" i meant these domains have good subdomains in them lol, but simple error. i was looking at the few bull rush feats, and it looks like a good crit weapon would work, but should i take half-orc for the weapon familiarity for falchion, or should i take human and blow a feat on Nadochi from ultimate combat? also i saw you can get free bull rush attemps with a shield feat, but im not sure its worth i for that tree since the crit is only 20.

He believes that the subdomains granted by Rovagug are better than average, thus they are "good options" for subdomains.

yes

Psyren
2014-09-18, 10:39 AM
i have played 3.5 for years but i never even looked at pathfinder, so things like cmb and cmd are alien to me. i have 4 witch handbooks and they are very opinionated and nothing points out anything for society. but they are very good. its just hard to pick witch so many options. also the witch is for my girlfriend so i think she will pick a race by look and not stats lol.

Yeah, it's a very complicated class sadly. But the only real way to learn is to dive in; don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Somebody here might be kind enough to build you some starting characters though.

Drackstin
2014-09-18, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it's a very complicated class sadly. But the only real way to learn is to dive in; don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Somebody here might be kind enough to build you some starting characters though.

after looking threw all the handbooks, it is clear that some options are better then others, one option i wanted to take can't be used in PFS so i skipped the class, but my girlfriend wanted to try the class. i think the best options will be human, elf, or half-elf for her, since most of the other PFS races are locked. also is it worth taking fly at first level or should she take it later and get a better hex at first like slumber?

Psyren
2014-09-18, 11:00 AM
I would personally go with Slumber as you're rarely outdoors in early PFS.

Drackstin
2014-09-18, 12:02 PM

good to know, also i wanted to know, how many feats do i have total, i would like to make the builds for this chars but don't know what to add. ill start with my cleric, since its mine im not asking anyone if they want something so its easy atm to do it.

Cleric of Rovagug ether half-orc for falshion or human and use the extra feat for nodachi, or just take a 2 dip in barb for it and save the feat. is multiclassing aloud in PFS?

i"m going to try and make a crit bull rush build, maybe add the intimidate to the list. so the bull rush works better.

i have no idea about the traits, but i know i get two. i saw one that brings my caster level up two, if i can take barb for rage and weapon proficiency and maybe rage power moment of clarity, i think this will work best.

i have no ideas about archtype or favored class stuff, and im not sure about Prc's so what will work?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-09-18, 12:51 PM

Hah, my first PFS adventure was almost entirely outdoors (and poorly run by a GM who kept using 4.0 rules...). I'd say to pick up the Flight hex at level 5 since that's when you'll actually get to fly!

Since you're new to PF and PFS, I want to point out that you're going to have complete 3 sessions to level up to level 2, and that PFS gives you free rein to completely rebuild your character when you make this jump! Basically, level one is for getting used to the rules and figuring out if you like your character concept. If not, or if you just want to tweak your optimization a bit you can completely rebuild your first level.

Multi-classing is allowed and a bit of dipping isn't uncommon in PFS. I'd use the fact that you can rebuild your character when you go to level 2 as a chance to hold off on archetypes. There are a ton of them to read over and if you're completely new to some of the PF classes they can be a bit to process. Since you'll have to get 3 play sessions in to level up, that gives you plenty of time to read over all the archetypes and decide if you want to use any. Finally, most PRCs are pretty bad in PF. This is primarily due to them generally not progressing class features and PF gives most classes really nice class features. There are a few exceptions, and they tend to get talked about in class guides.

2014-09-18, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately, my knowledge of the witch class is rather limited, and I'm sure there's plenty of people more familiar with the cleric's options than I am. I can help with the gunslinger, though. Since race is already selected, I'll go over other things.

Gunslingers are, ultimately, a mundane class focused around DPR; they're not exactly high tier, and optimizing them usually focuses on increasing DPR beyond all reason. Basically, there's two main paths to take you can take to be the best gunslinger you can be: dual-wield pistols, or snipe with a rifle. Either way, you'll want these feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, and Deadly Aim. Unfortunately, it takes forever to get them all; honestly, the most optimal way to become a gunslinger is to start with 2 levels of fighter with no archetype, functioning as an archer; that way, by the time you've taken your first level of gunslinger (at ECL 3), you have all four feats. If you're going sniper, take the Musket Master gunslinger archetype; if not, take either the Pistolero or no archetype.

Other useful feats for either gunslinger are Improved Initiative, Improved Critical, Rapid Shot, and Far Shot. Weapon Focus and other accuracy improving feats are less-than useful for you, because you're a full BAB class primarily targeting Touch AC.

The key for a gunslinger, once you've got multiple attacks, is free action reloading; Rapid Reload and alchemical cartiridges will allow it for a single pistol, while both of those and the Musket Master archetype will suffice for a rifle. To free action reload with two pistols, you need a third hand as well; to get it, I recommend a 2 lvl dip into Alchemist with the vivisectionist: you get 1d6 sneak attack, mutagens, and a vestigial arm as your discovery. Boom! You're dual-wielding pistols without being completely terrible. That said, you'll at least need Two-Weapon Fighting, because even the gunslinger can ignore penalties as huge as featless dual-wielding.

Drackstin
2014-09-18, 01:38 PM
Hah, my first PFS adventure was almost entirely outdoors (and poorly run by a GM who kept using 4.0 rules...). I'd say to pick up the Flight hex at level 5 since that's when you'll actually get to fly!

Since you're new to PF and PFS, I want to point out that you're going to have complete 3 sessions to level up to level 2, and that PFS gives you free rein to completely rebuild your character when you make this jump! Basically, level one is for getting used to the rules and figuring out if you like your character concept. If not, or if you just want to tweak your optimization a bit you can completely rebuild your first level.

Multi-classing is allowed and a bit of dipping isn't uncommon in PFS. I'd use the fact that you can rebuild your character when you go to level 2 as a chance to hold off on archetypes. There are a ton of them to read over and if you're completely new to some of the PF classes they can be a bit to process. Since you'll have to get 3 play sessions in to level up, that gives you plenty of time to read over all the archetypes and decide if you want to use any. Finally, most PRCs are pretty bad in PF. This is primarily due to them generally not progressing class features and PF gives most classes really nice class features. There are a few exceptions, and they tend to get talked about in class guides.

oh i see, that's a lot of useful information, so i can take 2 traits for first level, when when i dip a level i can take the trait that gives me higher casting levels. also i looked over the PrC and they all do look bad, but i wont have to worry about them for some time, also all 3 of the classes we picked don't benefit from any PrC.

is there anything else i should know?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the witch class is rather limited, and I'm sure there's plenty of people more familiar with the cleric's options than I am. I can help with the gunslinger, though. Since race is already selected, I'll go over other things.

Gunslingers are, ultimately, a mundane class focused around DPR; they're not exactly high tier, and optimizing them usually focuses on increasing DPR beyond all reason. Basically, there's two main paths to take you can take to be the best gunslinger you can be: dual-wield pistols, or snipe with a rifle. Either way, you'll want these feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload, and Deadly Aim. Unfortunately, it takes forever to get them all; honestly, the most optimal way to become a gunslinger is to start with 2 levels of fighter with no archetype, functioning as an archer; that way, by the time you've taken your first level of gunslinger (at ECL 3), you have all four feats. If you're going sniper, take the Musket Master gunslinger archetype; if not, take either the Pistolero or no archetype.

Other useful feats for either gunslinger are Improved Initiative, Improved Critical, Rapid Shot, and Far Shot. Weapon Focus and other accuracy improving feats are less-than useful for you, because you're a full BAB class primarily targeting Touch AC.

The key for a gunslinger, once you've got multiple attacks, is free action reloading; Rapid Reload and alchemical cartiridges will allow it for a single pistol, while both of those and the Musket Master archetype will suffice for a rifle. To free action reload with two pistols, you need a third hand as well; to get it, I recommend a 2 lvl dip into Alchemist with the vivisectionist: you get 1d6 sneak attack, mutagens, and a vestigial arm as your discovery. Boom! You're dual-wielding pistols without being completely terrible. That said, you'll at least need Two-Weapon Fighting, because even the gunslinger can ignore penalties as huge as featless dual-wielding.

all good things to know, ill talk to my friend and see what he wants to do. i know he never optimizes and mostly picks things based on flavor, he normally sucks at what he dose and hops he rolls good with no real plan ever.