PDA

View Full Version : By RAW, can small creatures ride horses?

Kantolin
2007-03-11, 09:55 PM
Or are they limited to ponies/riding dogs?

Things seems to suggest that a small creature is free to ride a large creature without penalty. Then again, they have ponies in the book probably for a reason... just looking for a RAW response.

Clementx
2007-03-11, 10:26 PM
There is no restriction on being too small for your mount, like there is for being too big. It falls to the DM to add penalties for inappropriate gear (like a -4 Ride penalty for a Halfling on a Medium saddle since he can't reach the stirrups) and require checks that are normally ignored (like a Climb check to get up there in the first place, whereas a human would get it without a check). To be fair, a human that was trying to ride a Huge Dragon would also need to make a Climb check, as well as buy an appropriate exotic saddle, instead of using one he stole from a gnome dragonrider.

Dhavaer
2007-03-11, 10:34 PM
You can also fit multiple creatures on, if you can find an appropriate saddle. Rather like Haradrim on the Mumakil.

Kantolin
2007-03-11, 11:15 PM
Alright... thanks.

I'm aiming to play a gnome wizard who was raised in a human-only military academy, and thus simply learned to use human-sized mounts as the standard. Just was making sure there wasn't anything RAW-illegal about this.

Weasel of Doom
2007-03-12, 01:34 AM
Yeah, need saddles designed to be put on a large creature but used by a small creature

Wehrkind
2007-03-12, 02:10 AM
By RAW you might, but stirrups are very adjustable on most saddles. While they make saddles for children, they are not strictly necessary.

Kantolin
2007-03-12, 02:38 AM
Huh... does RAW say that you'd need a custom-saddle to ride a horse?

As I was thinking along Wehrkind's lines, more than odd else.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-12, 10:39 AM
You need custom-made saddles for exotic mounts, but that's about it as far as special mount gear goes.

Clementx
2007-03-12, 11:09 AM
Huh... does RAW say that you'd need a custom-saddle to ride a horse?

No, but it also doesn't say that a halfling can't wear a orc's trousers. Small and Medium creatures need different sized everything. It is not exotic, but it is definitely purpose-built.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-12, 11:24 AM
Seeing as how a medium creature can ride a Dragon I expect a small character can ride a horse. A medium character would have trouble with the riding dog though.

Indon
2007-03-12, 11:37 AM
No, but it also doesn't say that a halfling can't wear a orc's trousers.

That's easy.

Orc Pants + Belt + rolling up pant legs = Halfling pants.

If it was in my campaign, I'd say, make a Ride check to rig the saddle/stirrup to your size, so if you even had a Ride skill you could take 20 and set it up... at least, within reason.

Zherog
2007-03-12, 11:39 AM
There's no need to rig anything. Buy a saddle. Say it's the right size for you and the mount. Done.

Wehrkind
2007-03-13, 12:49 AM
Pony saddles work on horses, and for the most part vice versa (I suppose a heavy saddle for use in combat on a war horse could be a but awkward for a pony). Any saddle should do the trick one way or the other, whether made for horse or pony, halfling or human.