PDA

View Full Version : The Shackled City

Lady Tialait
2014-09-18, 02:19 PM
Chapter 1: Life's Bazaar

It was a terrible autumn night, the weather was not wet enough to have an excuse to stay in a nice warm tavern, but not dry enough to get the four blocks to the inn you happen to be staying at.

It had been a guard job that got the four together this time, the Gymnasium of Kord needed some folks to keep the peace at the nearest tavern, and the pay was all the ale they could drink. Sweet gig, for the takers. The only problem was they had to walk home, now soaking wet from the weather.

A few blocks down the road they can hear a yell for help, they voice sounds elderly, and three other voices yelling back, "Shut up, old man!" two other voices can be heard as well, "Yeah, you'll keep your mouth shut or we'll slit your throat!" "And keep your nose out of the Last Laugh's business!" followed by the thud of a kick to the victim's ribs.

Shmee
2014-09-18, 02:49 PM
The little Goblin tried his best to keep up with the larger folk's pace, all the while he was complaining "We were ripped off I tell you! Ripped off! A whole evening's worth of work and got paid with ale? JUST HOW MUCH DO THEY THINK I CAN DRINK?" he growls in frustration at his small frame of a body. "A meal! They could have at least throw in a meal! BUT NOT ALL IS LOST! Before we left, I told the barkeeper to hold on to my last pint of ale till I get back! Next time we go there, I've got a free pint with my name written all over it. HE PROMISED HE'D LOOK AFTER IT! Mwahahahahaha!" he begins laughing in his deeper than usual voice, wringing his hands and clearly pleased with just how clever he was.

Nilbog hears the cries for help and scratches his head "You know what's fun? Mugging some muggers! The night doesn't need to be a total waste! Who wants to go first? Not me though..." he says while elbowing Thokk suggestively.

Chimaera
2014-09-18, 03:18 PM
"Being paid in drinks, my father would be soooo proud of me now", Argo thnk outloud and laugh at his own joke. A sarcastic kind of laughter.

"Well, at least it was kinda fun... It has been a while since I drank that much without worrying with paying. A shame it wasnt wine", he keeps talking, the wet cloths not putting his good mood down.

When he hear the cry for help he stop and once he hear the goblin suggestion he smile, "That sure will make my old man even more proud! Hell! Maybe he might even die being that much proud! Lets be some good samaritans and help".

Binks
2014-09-18, 03:39 PM
Booker, walking alongside the others, cloak down and smiling after the rather enjoyable evening, frowned at the sound of voices. Turning to look in the direction of the sound he let out a soft sigh of annoyance. "Just once I'd like this city to impress me with its restraint rather than the lack thereof..." he noted, glancing at the others to confirm that they too would like to intervene.

With a nod to the others, confirming his intentions to join in as well, Booker began moving towards the scene, taking care to stick to shadows but moving quickly, trusting that the site of his allies approach would cover up any undue noise he made.

Darksidebro
2014-09-18, 04:29 PM
Plodding along through the small puddles left from the days drizzle, Thokk smiles to himself as he listens to Nilbog's ceaseless chatter. He stops short and lets out a gutteral grunt at the sounds of a mugging nearby. Thokk looks down at Nilbog and grins "Perhaps this evening won't end without excitement, after all... Stay behind me, Little friend."

Noticing Booker moving towards the noise through the shadows, the large Orc sets off down the alley. Wearing nothing but a sleeveless sackcloth shirt, buckled cloth breeches, and a pair of worn down leather boots, Thokk silently cursed himself for leaving his armor, and more importantly, his Greatsword, at home.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-18, 05:12 PM
The scene is grim, an old man in priest's vestments and a symbol of St. Cuthbert is unconscious in the alleyway, and three men are taking turns kicking him. "Take that!" "Yeah! Don't mess with us!" "And don't snoop no more!" The men are wearing black leather, and their faces are painted half white and half black one side in an upturned sneer and the other in a mock-sorrowful frown. They either don't notice those who are approaching or don't bother reacting.

These are low ranking members of a gang known as the Last Laugh, a local thieves guild turned to thuggery.

Shmee
2014-09-18, 05:44 PM
Nilbog follows the rest, taking his ceremonial place in the rear, as befits a Goblin leader... well, at least in Nilbog's mind. Noticing who is being beaten up, Nilbog mumbles to himself "I always wanted to get on the clergy's good side!" and decides to use the fact that the thugs were ignoring him to his advantage. The Goblin takes a moment to pick one of the thugs, and deciding which one he seems to like less, uses his secret powers granted to him by the Vestige that he had summoned.

"You! APPROACH!" he growls at his target as he prepares his crossbow, confident in the fact that he had his companions standing between him and the thugs.

(Use Persuasive Words on one of the thugs.)

Darksidebro
2014-09-18, 06:20 PM
Taking a step forward to stand between the Thugs and his friends, Thokk cracks his knuckles and lets out a deep, loud growl. As if daring the Thugs to raise weapons against his companions.

Chimaera
2014-09-18, 07:12 PM
Seeing the bullies attacking the unconscious man made Argo smile a little. Maybe that old bastard deserved it, maybe not, but maybe he could something to really make his father proud.

Enjoying the fact the thieves are unaware of their presence, Argo send a dark arrow straight at one of them, hoping to defeat one of them and make their numerous advantage a little greater.

"You stop that and drop your weapons and you wont be harmed... much".

RTA aggainst flatfooted AC [roll0] non lethal damage [roll1]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-18, 07:40 PM
The three thugs turn, to the group approaching them, "You just made a big mistake!" "Yeah, this is our turf!" "You better get running!"

[roll0]

Binks
2014-09-18, 09:50 PM
Booker, concealed of a small doorway nearby that was perfectly sized to cloak his slender frame in shadow, observed the scene calmly, though inside he was not feeling any particular need to be gentle with these thugs given what could be seen.

Noting the others attempts at diplomacy (at least, that's what it seemed the goblin was doing), intimidation, and a quick offense he elected to simply remain in observation for the moment, stepping in when it would be advantageous, probably when one of the thugs closed on Thokk.

Can I safely assume I was hidden at the start of the encounter since I was trying to stick to the shadows?

If yes - Standard -> Swift -> Island of Blades Stance (lasts until I switch stances), just staying hidden with my earlier roll

If no - Standard -> Move -> Get to a shadow and hide with the OOC roll if I can.

Either way Booker doesn't intend to reveal himself in the surprise round.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-19, 11:10 AM
The Arrow of Dusk shoots past one of the head of one of the thugs, and Nilbog's screaming doesn't seem to be effective. The thugs pull daggers from hidden places in their outfits and tumble towards their targets. One to handle the goblin, one for the elf, and one to handle the half-orc.

Tumble Checks, they only have to get past Thokk, failure means Thokk can make an attack of opportunity.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Their attack rolls

Thokk: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Argo: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Nilbog: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]

Chimaera
2014-09-19, 12:07 PM
These actions take effect at his Initiative count.
I'll be playing with friends today and may be busy to wait for the time my initiative comes around.
Hope you dont mind :smallwink:

Looking at the thug close to him, Argo take a step back and tell him, "Have a good night sleep, badboy", and shot another arrow of dusk at his stomach, hopefully knocking him out.

RTA [roll0] nonlethal damage [roll1]

Binks
2014-09-19, 12:33 PM
Observing the three thugs and their rather pathetic attacks Booker nods to himself before stepping out of the shadows and quickly closing the distance on the thug who had attacked Nilbog. Moving his blade in a deliberate pattern designed to both distract from Thokk and remind his opponent that he is putting his back to an Orc, Booker brings the sword in for an attack, a shadowy version of the blade appearing momentarily to strike a second early and befuddle his defense. Staying silent (the better to play the part of a mysterious assassin striking from the shadows) he leaves the wordplay to his allies as he simply does his best to distract the opponent from Thokk.

Move - Move in near the thugs. Preference is to be adjacent to both thugs next to Thokk but if that's not possible or would provoke an AoO then just the thug next to Nilbog as well. My stance means I flank from any side so actual positioning is irrelevant, just need adjacency.

Standard - Shadow Blade Technique, I roll 2d20s and pick one to use for the attack, if I pick lower I get +1d6 cold damage. Going to roll it out then edit in my choice. This is a Supernatural ability if it matters (highly doubt it, but no harm in mentioning).
Atk1: [roll0] (flanking bonus included)
Atk2: [roll1] (flanking bonus included)
Dmg: [roll2]
Bonus Cold Dmg: [roll3]

EDIT: I will use the higher one, as I doubt an 11 will hit. So 20 vs. the thug's AC for 6 damage

Swift - Nothing. I don't really want to use burning blades until I know more about these thugs, so no real use for it.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-19, 12:54 PM
Booker drops one of the Thugs, and the other Thug is hit with the Arrow of Dusk and drops as well.

Chimaera
2014-09-19, 01:25 PM
"Oh, seems your friends kinda left... this world. Drop your weapons and state your business", Argo tell the thug before looking at his allies, "Make sure to keep them alive or we might get in trouble".

Darksidebro
2014-09-19, 01:59 PM
A tremendous roar tears through the alley as the Thugs draw weapons and begin tumbling this way and that. Thokk picks one tumbling more inaccurately then the other and takes a sideswing as he passes, more interested in the painted half-grin face bearing down on him.

A swift sidestep defeats the overconfident Thug's dreams of skewering a half-Orc. Not today, Whelp. Thokk returns the clumsy strike with a swift uppercut of his own.

Thokk doesn't move this round, instead taking AOO and Standard action unarmed strike.

Attack of opportunity
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Standard Action Strike
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-19, 03:11 PM
Both of Thokk's swings catch nothing but air as they swing toward the passing thug.

Shmee
2014-09-19, 03:36 PM
Realizing that his meat-shield had missed and that the thug was heading his way, Nilbog screams "GAAAAAH!" as he takes a few steps back in order to fire his crossbow, all the while pleading "NOT THE FACE! NOT THE FACE!"

Nilbog does a 5 foot adjustment backward
Attack roll: [roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-19, 03:44 PM
Nilbog's bolt let's loose and hits the thug right in the chest, dropping him.

From above on the roof, a feminine laugh can be heard, and a bolt flies down hitting the thug that was rendered unconscious from the Arrow of Dusk. The thugs are dead now and the woman on the roof speaks up, "Now now, you shouldn't be messing around with the Last Laugh. You don't know what you are getting yourselves into. This priest was interfering with important, and profitable business." The figure doesn't remove her hood, and features can't be made out, "However, it was distasteful, don't you agree? Well, they are dead now. You better get that priest to his church, he looks pretty banged up." With that she drops something and a smokescreen fills the air above the alleyway, when it clears she is gone.

Shmee
2014-09-19, 03:51 PM
As the mysterious woman throws her smokescreen, Nilbog is heard shouting "Hey! Hey! Wait! I said WAIT!" Realizing that it was already too late, the Goblin starts muttering curses under his breath as he looks at the thug that he had killed. "You dared pick on me because I was small, DIDN'T YOU?" he demands from the lifeless corpse as he gives it a swift kick "Tell your friends in the after-life that this is what happens to those who dare to mess with NILBOG THE GREAT!" As he growls his declaration, the Goblin gets an idea. "LEAVE NO EVIDENCE!" he declares, as he begins to search the corpse for any evidence... and by evidence, Nilbog means anything of even remote value.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-19, 03:54 PM
Oh the corpses, there are their street cloths, medium light crossbows and 20 bolts each, three daggers each, and small money bags containing 4 copper, and 8 silver all together.

The old man is wearing a wooden symbol of St. Cuthbert, and has some kind of potion on his belt. If you check his money pouch you'll find 2 gold pieces.

Chimaera
2014-09-19, 04:05 PM
"Don't worry, girl", Argo say to the vigilante as she leaves, "I wonder if she is pretty...", he say before looking at the dead thugs.

"Let's take this priest back to safety before we are found in this crime scene", he tell them and look at the orc friend, "Can you carry him?".

Shmee
2014-09-19, 04:50 PM
Nilbog rummages through the thug's belongings and takes the crossbow bolts for himself, however leaving a bolts few on each of the corpses. As the crossbows are too big for him to use, instead placing them in the grasps of the thugs that he and Booker had killed. He then takes one of the daggers from the one that the mysterious woman had killed and using it to stab the thug that Booker had slain, before returning it to the corpse's grasp.

He then takes a moment to look at his work as he describes the scene as if he was directing a play "Three ruffians... friends since childhood decided to go out and see what bounty the dark streets of this city can offer. ALAS THOUGH! Fate struck them a cruel blow, as an argument erupted amongst the three friends leading to all three of them drawing their weapons at each other! AND ALAS! None survived... what a tragedy... what a tragedy..." he says covering his face as if he was crying... before letting out a sly grin.

"Well... that's what those foolish fools of a fool guards will believe at least. And none will be the wiser... none will ever suspect that this is but a ruse... a ruse made by none other that NILBOG THE GREAT! Mwahahahahahah! I am so clever!" he says gloating over how his plan was going to fool the city guard.

Rolling for Forgery [roll0]

Chimaera
2014-09-19, 04:54 PM
"A nice piece of art, Nilbog", Argo tell the goblin, "But let's keep on moving, shall we?"

Darksidebro
2014-09-19, 05:16 PM
A scowl edges onto Thokk's face at the statement of the woman. He kneels down and looks over the Corpses of the Thugs, shuffling through the belongings then tossing the bodies aside. "Here, Nilbog." He grumbles out, handing the goblin a case of crossbow bolts, clearly deep in thought.

Thokk pulls a dagger from a thig's belt and holds it up to the moonlight, searching the whole length of the blade, as well the hilt and handle for any kind of Smith Mark or origin mark. Any sort of clue as to the blade's origin.

He looks up at Argo, face illuminated by moonlight. "Yes.. I will carry this man to his temple." At that, he hoists the priest over his shoulder, arms dangling down his broad back. He pockets the dagger, determined to not be unarmed again.

[roll0]

Chimaera
2014-09-19, 05:25 PM
"Ok! Let's move!", Argo says following Thokk toward the temple of St. Cuthbert, "But I dont know if it would be very wise for us to get in the temple, but... Nevermind let's do it".

Lady Tialait
2014-09-20, 01:15 AM
The group arrives at the Church of St. Cuthbert, a large cathedral build with large imposing windows. Lights inside bring a multicolored mosaic to life as water drips down them. The group bring the priest in, and are immediately are met with three women in dark mauve robes. They take the man and lay him on one of the benches. A woman enters with a look of surprise on her face, she moves over and checks to see if the old man is alive and closes her eyes, whispering a prayer to her deity. Healing light rushes from her to the man, and he awakens, "What happened Rufus? What did you found out?" She stops herself and turns to the four, "Please be seated, I need to speak with Rufus first, then we can speak." She takes the old man beyond a large door to speak with him, guiding him softly.

Chimaera
2014-09-20, 01:42 AM
"We'll be waiting here", says Argo sitting on the bench.

As much as they were doing a good act, the elf cant shake the fact the church of St. Cuthbertis waaaaay too lawful to his liking. Maybe coming here was a mistake. But maybe not. Deity of retribution: that is something that is capable of striking fear in someone's heart.

"Well, the worst case scenario is being judged by killing those thugs and saving the priest, which would be at least hilarious", he thinks and smile.

Shmee
2014-09-20, 03:51 AM
Nilbog is fidgeting restlessly on his seat, all the will wringing his hands as he takes in the sights of the church that had barred his entrance on so many occasions. "Yes! Yes! I am finally in! My plan to infiltrate the church has succeeded as I knew it would!" he mumbles to himself in glee.

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 09:19 AM
Thokk casts a sidelong glance at Argo. "Will we?" His eyes scan the large room, uneasy in this temple. A temple so unlike the gymnasium. He pats Nilbog roughly on the back, harder than intended, trying to calm his mumblings.

He rests his elbows on his knees while sitting, hand close to his new dagger, just in case these priestesses thought they were responsible in some way.

Binks
2014-09-20, 10:35 AM
Booker waits with the others, frowning at his surroundings. Like Argo he wasn't exactly a fan of the overtly lawful church, but hopefully returning this priest to them would be enough to keep anyone from bothering them.

As they wait for the priest to recover Booker speaks, barely above a whisper and hopefully only audible to the group. "Anyone else get the feeling we just stumbled into something big?"

Chimaera
2014-09-20, 11:14 AM
"If that vigilante girl said is true, so yes", Argo whisper back to Booker, "But I dont think a small band of thugs is that big deal..."

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 12:36 PM
Thokk lets out a loud grunt, turning to look at Argo and Booker. "I get no such feeling, Booker." He tries to whisper, but only deep, guttural baritones escape his thick lips. "This looked like just another lower rung thieves guild beating up an old man. They acted with the brutality of common thugs, not the finesse of a trained thieves guild." Thokk sets back, resting his elbows on his knees once again.

Shmee
2014-09-20, 02:41 PM
"She did say 'important' and 'profitable' and I like the sound of both of them. Both words sounds more like 'opportunity' in my mind!" growls Nilbog.

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 04:15 PM
Thokk snorts at Nilbog, dismissing the Goblin's hopeful speculation. "It's been a long day, and longer night. I'd just as soon come back here in the morning to figure out what all this was about. A cold ale and my soft cot would get me through the night."

Lady Tialait
2014-09-20, 05:11 PM
Just then the woman in priestly robes enters, "Thank you for waiting. You have been most helpful in our endeavors. Unfortunately the High Priest is on a mission and is unable to be contacted right now. So, all I can offer you is grateful words." She starts to walk away and stops herself, "Wait, could you be of help in a investigation? I'm sure you have heard that there has been a string of kidnappings as of late, and you don't seem frightened by the Last Laugh." She looks at Thokk, "and seem to be able to handle any dangers that might be set upon you."

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 05:44 PM
Thokk stands up and swells with pride, standing as to appear broader and taller than usual. "These are commonplace thugs, not trained well in subtlety or combat." He relaxes a little, eyeing the priestess expectantly.

Binks
2014-09-20, 05:55 PM
"What makes you think this gang is connected to the kidnapping?" Booker asks.

Chimaera
2014-09-20, 06:26 PM
"I havent heard of any kidnappings at late, but maybe you can tell us more", Argo tell the priestess, "I'm Argo Silverthorn", he says making an exxagerated bow and kiss her hand, "It'll be a pleasure to help... as long as our efforts are well rewarded" he add.

"If you could tell us everything you know about these kidnappings and about these so-called Last Laugh it would be of great help too".

Shmee
2014-09-20, 06:31 PM
"First pints... then grateful words... what happened to the good old days when people just gave you money..." mutters Nilbog, before something clicks in his mind "HOLD IT! Are we to investigate this on orders of the High Priest himself? Official church matters? We pay our taxes... well... I don't but that's besides the point... to the city guard so they can prevent such things from happening! Why is your church involved then?" Just because she was a cleric didn't mean that she automatically gained the Goblin's trust.

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 07:20 PM
Thokk nods at his little goblin friend. "This is correct. The local guardsmen should be able to sort this out. It is, as Nilb-" the half-Orc cuts off midsentence, assuming Nilbog would be disgruntled at his name being given out. "-as the goblin says, their job."

Lady Tialait
2014-09-20, 09:35 PM
The Priestess shakes her head, "That is the issue, you see. The city guard is dealing with a large amount of the investigation. There have been over sixty kidnappings. The last four however, were an affront to the Church of St. Cuthbert directly. They took four children from our orphanage. None of the captured people have been found yet, and the orphans are our charges. We do not take direct insults like this lightly." She sighs, "However, the warrior base of our church went with Sir Splintersheild several months ago, to cleanse the underdark of evil. Our High Priest had an important mission to attend to three days ago, so we were left with myself, Rufus, and four apprentices. We are severely under manned in this time of crisis. Hence, I will open our vaults and offer a reward to you, and only you. Five hundred gold per child returned to us, and double if you return all four. You will be working as agents of the Church and will be given holy relics to act as your credentials. So, as you can see, we the authority, and need farther assistance. If you agree to these terms, I will tell you what the relics are. Then show you what information we have gathered. If not, I'm afraid poor Rufus will just have to continue without your assistance. If he gets assaulted again, and dies as a result, the Church may very well have to reflect on your choices."

Darksidebro
2014-09-20, 10:24 PM
A low guttural "Hmmm.." He crosses his arms, not wanting to speak for the others. A slow smile creeps onto his harsh face. He looks down at Nilbog, expecting the goblin to jump out of his skin at such a steep paying job.

Chimaera
2014-09-21, 01:21 AM
"Have then asked for ransom?", he ask her before looking at his companions, "Before you answer, let me confer with my friends for a sec, please".

Argo move closer and whisper to them, "What you guy think? I'm for it: a thousand gold pieces each sounds pretty nice and they look to be a meek ragtag band of wannabe bandits so it's almost like free money. What you say?"

Once them all say yes or no, Argo look at her and smile.

"We already have an answer, but first... What's your name again? And how is our old friend doing?"

Shmee
2014-09-21, 03:13 AM
Nilbog strokes his chin, clearly interested "TELL YOU WHAT! If you throw into the deal that we all get access to your church, then I shall convince my associates here to take this important mission. AFTER ALL, if we are to throw ourselves in front of danger... for the greater good of the city of course... then we may need some healing!

Binks
2014-09-21, 10:42 AM
Booker raises an eyebrow at the mention of the missing orphans but otherwise remains silent through the priestesses tale. When she has finished he turns to his comrads and whispers "I'm all for this investigation. If this last laugh group is kidnapping orphans their motives are likely not random. he adds with a shudder, unable to fully contain himself completely.

Darksidebro
2014-09-21, 10:43 AM
Thokk sits back, eyeing his companions and nodding at what they have to say. Especially at Nilbog's 'getting in with the church' bit. He sniffs the air and scowls, this air doesn't smell right. Not the correct sameness of scent that he's accustomed to at home. Thokk turns and nods deliberately to Booker and Argo, his customary form of agreement. "What fate do the children face, if not helped?" he asks the priestess.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-21, 12:59 PM
"The goblin speaks true, you may need healing and rest while on the job. We will provide such things if you need them, and come to the church. Waving the normal donation. you are doing the great Saint's work after all." the woman gives a worried look to Thokk, "As to the children's fate, we cannot be sure. My name has been asked, it's Jenya Hansdotter, what is all of yours?"

Chimaera
2014-09-21, 01:08 PM
"As I said before, I'm Argo Silverthorn, the pride and joy of a far far away land".

Shmee
2014-09-21, 01:27 PM
The Goblin jumps on his seat "I am.... NILBOG THE GREAT! Be sure to remember it!" he yells loudly before sitting back down "And I think I shall accept your hospitality. VERY WELL THEN! It seems my associates and I agree to your terms. We are your agents, and you are our patron. Now then... if we are to pick up were Rufus left off, we shall have to speak to him. When do you think he will wake up?"

Darksidebro
2014-09-21, 02:01 PM
Thokk winces at Nilbog's shrill outburst. He shifts his bulk a step away from Nilbog. Thokk beats his chest twice with his fist, a custom brought from his Orc tribe. "Thokk Chain-Breaker. Defender of the Broken." He says in a guttural, grating voice. Keeping it simple and to the point.

Binks
2014-09-21, 02:12 PM
"Just call me Booker." the scarred human in a cloak notes, giving the priestess a polite nod.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-21, 03:38 PM
Jenya nods, "Please follow me, Rufus has been through a lot, but he was able to tell me everything he found. I can answer any of your questions in my office. Give you what little we have discovered thus far." Jenya walks to her office leading the four. She takes a seat and pulls out a very thin roll of parchments. She unrolls them and scoots them across the table.

Tiervan Wisport (male gnome, age 91): A local alchemist, Tiervan lived with two cats and ran a marginally successful business. He disappeared 88 nights ago.

Jorl Seerkin (male gnome, age 72): A law clerk who worked for a local gnome barrister named Aeryk Gylbar, he disappeared from his home 83 nights ago.

Azmi Dresker (female human, age 19): A known prostitute who plied her trade at the Slippery Eel Tavern, she disappeared from her residence 81 nights ago. She and a coworker, Shellen Rycah, rented the house from an old woman named Matira Hathaway, who was asleep in the house that night and didn’t hear anything.

Shellen Rycah (female human, age 20): Another prostitute who frequented the Slippery Eel Tavern and shared a house with coworker Azmi Dresker and their landlord. Shellen disappeared 81 nights ago.

Krylscar Endercott (male human, age 24): Kicked out of the local milita for drunk and disorderly conduct, Krylscar vanished from his parents’ home 74 nights ago. Neither parent hear or saw anything suspicious, but they believe Krylscar may have robbed them and fled the town in disgrace.

Callum Sunnyrush (male Halfling, age 37): He groomed horses and ponies for the Lathenmire noble family. He vanished from his room at a cozy local inn 69 nights ago.

Gryffon Malek (male human, age 32): He worked as a barkeep at the Tipped Tankard tavern. He disappeared 66 days ago, three days before his planned wedding to tavern barmaid Imelie Deranti.

Szordra Callagher (female human, age 35): A self-proclaimed sage, she ran her own small bookstore. She was last seen 60 nights ago by her 18-year-old Leagan, a mason’s apprentice.

Tembor Kalavan (male human, age 25): A local minstrel of some repute, he vanished 52 nights ago from his room in the Laughing Horse Inn.

Irruth Mercadi (female human, age 36): A local chandler who disappeared from the apartment above her shop 47 nights ago.

Deven Myrzal (male human, age 18): A lamplighter who vanished 45 nights ago. Guards found the pole Deven used to unhook hanging lanterns in the street a few blocks from his home (which was not robbed).

Jeneer Everdawn (female Halfling, age 42): A jeweler’s apprentice who did volunteer work at Bluecrater Academy, she disappeared 40 nights ago.

Lorthan Ironfold (male dwarf, age 125): A skilled Cartwright. He and his wife Sondor, vanished from their home 35 nights ago.

Sondor Ironfold (female dwarf, age 127): Wife of Lorthan Ironfold, she and her husband disappeared 35 nights ago.

Rikaldo Vesker (male human, age 34): His ransacked home contained blood droplets and blood-encrusted knives – not surprising, since Rikaldo worked as a skinner. He disappeared 31 nights ago.

Lestor Coldwater (male human, age 22): A trained scribe and struggling poet. He and his girlfriend, Jelluth, vanished from her home 26 nights ago.

Jelluth Sirlana (female half-elf, age 33): A struggling shoemaker who inherited her father’s failing business, she vanished (along with her boyfriend, Lestor) 26 nights ago.

Elethor Ashstaff (male half-elf, age 58): A wizard and trickster who occasionally performed minor feats of prestidigitation at birthday parties for upper-class children. A dead rat – possibly Elethor’s familiar – was found in his home. He vanished 22 nights ago.

Maple (female Halfling, age 32): Last name unknown. Maple was rumored to be associated with the Alleybashers. She disappeared 18 nights ago.

Corystan Pike (female human, age35): A retired adventurer who was living on stolen loot, she walked with a cane. She disappeared from her modest abode 16 nights ago.

Jasper Drundlesput (male gnome, age 74): A reclusive and eccentric mathematician who worked at Bluecrater Academy, he is believed to have vanished nine days ago. Pieces of parchment covered with numbers and symbols littered the floor of his ransacked house.

Deakon Stormshield (male dwarf, age 20): A bright dwarf, Deakon was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. The orphanage took him in when he was six years old, after his parents failed to return from an adventure.

Evelyn Radavec (female human, age 9): A quiet, sullen girl, she was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. Her father and mother succumbed to the filth fever plague that struck Cauldron seven years ago.

Lucinda Aldreen (female human, age 8): A gregarious but superstitious child given to the Lantern Street Orphanage at age four by her poverty-stricken mother, Lucinda was abducted from the orphanage three nights ago.

Terrem Kharatys (male human, age 9): This orphan, taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago, is a dour and temperamental lad. His parents died shortly after his birth (circumstances unknown).

Beyond the Curtain, Below the Cauldron
Beware the doors with teeth, though the land where none are seen
In the Malachite Prison, Half a Dwarf binds them but not for long

The doors were closed and locked, no one was seen coming in or out all night. I have the only key and they are locked from the outside, preventing the girls and boys from any funny business. They only persons here was myself and Patch our ground's keeper. Neither of us saw anything.

Jenya waits for the four to take a look at the parchments then speaks, "The first is a list of all the kidnap victims, no rhyme or reason behind the kidnappings, just taken then never seen from again. The second is what my divination have yielded as per usual it's a confusing riddle. The third is the account of the head mistress of the orphanage, that was what Rufus was out gathering. This is as far as our own investigation and that of the town guard has gotten. Unsurprisingly, low priority, they mostly collect the escalating taxes. Our next move was to get a meeting with Lord Mayor Vhalantru, who said he would give a reward for the return of the Orphans."

Darksidebro
2014-09-21, 05:14 PM
Thokk grunts at the papers, giving them a partial glance. The jumbled writings appearing to twist and writhe in a confusing pattern to his vision. He looks sidelong at Booker, knowing his cloaked friend will study the papers and relay what the scratchings ment later. Probably over a cold mug of ale... Thokk smiles to himself, having thought of a relaxing tavern maybe with a seat by a warm hearth.

Shmee
2014-09-21, 05:44 PM
Nilbog takes the paper and reads the list with great interest "Oh... its in chronological order... that's quite nice of you..." he mumbles as he reads the names of those who have been kidnapped "What do you know of this orphanage? Can the people running it be trusted?" he growls at Jenya.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-21, 06:39 PM
Jenya nods, "Yes, Headmistress Ranni has been working there for almost a hundred years. This has never happened before. As for her staff, she hires them as she sees fit."

Chimaera
2014-09-21, 06:58 PM
"I'm new to these parts of the Oerth... Can you lend me a map of the region around? I think I got some answer to your riddle", Argo says taking a look at the second parchment as he read it outloud:

"Beyond the Curtain, Below the Cauldron
In the Malachite Prison, Half a Dwarf binds them but not for long"

"I believe they're trapped in some natural cave of sorts: a malachite prison. Beyond the curtain may mean a waterfall and below the cauldron... maybe a volcano or a crater? Doors with teeth may be some rocky natural obstacle, like stalagmites or slataltites... As for the half dwarf part... I hope we can save them before they finish whateveer they're planning", the elf says scratching his chin, "Do you now of any waterfall around, maybe? What the rest of you think?"

Binks
2014-09-21, 07:08 PM
Booker passes over the first list of victims, figuring that the church would likely have a better chance of finding some connection than he would. The second and third sheets, however, he pays great attention to, committing the second to memory and reading the third with great interest.

"Obviously some form of magic, or considerable skill to pick and re-lock the room after kidnapping without being observed. I assume the church has already checked the door locks for any scratches or other signs of forced entry? If not may I take a look?" Booker asks before continuing.

Turning to address Argo's interpretation he nods "Reasonable supposition, though I would assume the curtain likely has a more symbolic meaning myself, and below the Cauldron almost certainly means beneath this city." Booker adds.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-21, 07:32 PM
Jenya pulls a map out from her desk and hands it to Argo, "This is a current map of Cauldron."

https://sites.google.com/site/eberron1520/cauldron_players_map.jpg

She turns to Booker, "As for the locks themselves, you are free to go see the locks yourself, according to Rufus when he went to the Orphanage to get the statement, they were not tampered with. Perhaps he missed something." She points out Lantern Street Orphanage on the map. "Here is where the orphanage is." She then pulls out four rods with the symbol of St. Cuthbert engraved upon them. "These are the relics I promised you as well. They are infused with magical energies, and are important to the Cauldron branch of our faith. They once belonged to Sir Greggory Demonsbane, a knight and Paladin, who served Lord Spellmason when he pushed back a demon invasion and founded the twin cities of Cauldron and Redgorge" She holds up the first of the Rods, "This is the blessing of the healer, it can transform any magic into healing magic." She takes the second of the rods, "This is the blessing of the knight, allowing anyone who presents it to banish darkness." She holds up the third of the Rods, "This is the blessing of the inquisitor, it's holder can open any lock in order to pursue heretics who keep their secrets locked away." She then holds up the last rod, "This is the blessing of the Spellmason, it can be used along with any healing magics to remove any curse, and heal ailments of the body or mind." She smiles at the rods proudly, "They are yours till your work for the church is done."

Here is what they do in Game terms:
Blessing of Healer: Can convert any spell (arcane or divine) into an equivalent level cure spell. The spell stays in the same slot till cast. Use: Standard Action

Blessing of Knight: 1/day the holder can turn undead as if they had their hit dice as cleric. Use: No Action

Blessing of Inquisitor: The holder of the rod gets a +10 on open lock, and disable device. Also, they gain the Trapfinding skill as per a rouge of their level. Use: No Action

Blessing of Spellmason: Can convert any cure spell into an equivalent level restoration spell, or if the spell is 4th level or higher, it may be a break enchantment instead. The converted spell is immediately cast. Use: Standard Action

Darksidebro
2014-09-21, 08:16 PM
Thokk stands back, listening intently to his companions as they debate the meaning of the papers. Taking mental notes on what's being said. "The Underdark.. The riddle speaks of the Underdark caverns beneath the city. There is an Underdark opening within the very walls of Cauldron. Many Paladins for hundreds of years have entered... Not a single one came out alive.." He grumbles out matter of factly. Crossing his large arms, he eyes Booker and Argo waiting to hear what they think.

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 11:35 AM
"Or maybe the sewers? Adventuring in an Underdark passage that killed many paladins doesnt seem... Wise. Maybe we should check on the locks or the orphanage or even on the streets. You know, get some inteligence on the Last Laugh and maybe attract some of them our way".

Argo then look at the rods, " I think the healing one may be useful in my hands, but Im not sure I can work my magic through it..."

Shmee
2014-09-22, 01:29 PM
"Either way Argo, YOU have a better chance of using the Blessings of the Healer and Spellmason than the rest of us. BOOKER should get the blessing of the Inquisitor of course, and I suppose Thokk can have the Blessing of the Knight! You know... since YOU ARE THE GOOD GUY HERE! You can keep those filthy undeads away from us."

Darksidebro
2014-09-22, 03:36 PM
Thokk snorts, reaching forward to grasp the rod designated 'knight'. He chuckles inwardly, never thought he'd ever be the most qualified for anything made for Knights. "We have our information and we have our leads. Children are killed with the time we waste."

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 04:00 PM
"So what you want to do first? Check on who these last laughs are, check on the orphanage and doors or look for a one way trip to Underdark?", Argo ask the group after packing the two rods that were giving to him.

Binks
2014-09-22, 04:15 PM
"Checking the locks would take but a moment, and could give us some clues about what we are dealing with." Booker chips in.

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 04:16 PM
"So let's kill two rabbits with a single swing: let's check on the orphanage. We can see the locks and talk to the woman in charge there and maybe find something else".

Darksidebro
2014-09-22, 04:25 PM
Thokk shoves his rod into his boot for safekeeping. "We forget another possible lead, my friend." He pulls the dagger taken from a Last Laugh thug from his belt. "This dagger may have a smith mark. Find the mark, find the Smith. If they're well known enough." He holds the dagger to the light where both he and Argo can see it, flipping it over and running his thick fingers across the flat of the blade.

Taking 20, so [21]

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 04:47 PM
"Well, one can try", Argo says taking a long look at the dagger.

Take 20 for 26.
28 if you consider Thokk is aiding my check.

Shmee
2014-09-22, 05:37 PM
Nilbog is busy scratching his head and all of a sudden yells "BOOKER!" as he points at the Human "You've got more street smarts than the rest of us. What do you know about this "Last Laugh"? Know any place were they operate? Perhaps we can... kindly convince... some of them... by cracking their skulls open... to tell us how exactly they are involved in all this."

Binks
2014-09-22, 07:04 PM
"Unfortunately my knowledge of this organization is as limited as any commoner." Booker informs the Goblin with a shrug. "I have never had much reason to operate near them in the past. If they are involved in these matters it is likely their rank and file, as it were, are unlikely to know much. Most guilds keep the majority of their knowledge close." he adds.

"I believe visiting the orphanige would be our best move as well. I can look over the locks and grounds for any signs of non-magical entry. Argo, can you check for any traces of an arcane spell used to pass through the doorway? It may be too late to detect anything, but could be worth a shot. And Nilbog and Thokk could question the keepers to see if there is any other information." Booker notes before grabbing the Inquisitor rod, rather amused by the fact that the church was giving him an item whose blessing would have been very useful to the kidnappers. Presumably it only worked on a just cause or had a similar defense mechanism, or the church may very well have created its own enemy if another of these rods had been created and lost in the past.

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 07:13 PM
"If there's any lingering magical effect I can read its signature. I'll give it a try once we get there", Argo then bow to Jenya and kiss her hand again, "We're departing to investigate the orphanage. Later we'll come back and see how Rufus is doing and bring any news we find", and with that Argo leave the temple toward the orphanage, hopefully with the others following him.

Shmee
2014-09-22, 07:46 PM
"Yes, yes. Let me do the talking! I HAPPEN TO BE GOOD AT TALKING!" Nilbog takes the scrolls, and wrapping them puts them in his bag proceeds to follow the rest to the orphanage, but not before he turns to Jenya and growls "Be sure to have a nice comfortable bed ready for me! I'M GOING TO BE SLEEPING WARM TONIGHT!

Lady Tialait
2014-09-22, 08:27 PM
Jenya blushes at Argo's gesture, and wishes the group well before they leave.

The Lantern Street Orphanage is a small place, partly built into the side of the walls of the bowl of the volcano that the whole city is built in. There is a small garden to the side, that is fairly clumsily kept, and a shack. The whole place looks depressing in the gloom of the night. Upon knocking on the door, a small slot in the door opens, "What do you want?" a old woman's voice croaks out.

Chimaera
2014-09-22, 08:41 PM
"We are here to investigate the kidnapping", Argo say and show her one of the rods, "We were sent by Jenya and Rufus and have the support of St. Cuthbert's church. My small friend here would like to ask you some questions while the rest of us will... You know, investigate", he says with a mocking smile and begin to walk the placehis eyes shinning with silvery light trying to track any magic trace left by spells cast.

"Probably it will reveal nothing, but again: wont hurt trying", he think to himself.

This mystery functions like the spell detect magic, except as noted above. You can detect magic up to 30 feet away.

Darksidebro
2014-09-22, 09:28 PM
Thokk listens to the exchange with little interest, never much for talking. His eyes scan his sorroundings, taking in the pitiful orphanage. The Orc's bright green eyes fall on the Shack. A low, contemplative growl rolls forth from his chest. He nudges Nilbog with his foot and jerks his head toward the shack as if to say 'lets go see'.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 01:07 AM
The old woman huffs, "I already spoke to Rufus today, and he looked at the locks. I have also talked to the town guard. " She sighs, and opens the locks, the thud of at least four locks can be heard, then the door opens showing the small gnomish woman, "Go ahead, but be quiet the children are sleeping."

There is no detectable magic, those who examine the locks, find they are locked from the outside with a very high quality lock (DC 30 open lock to pick) and no sign to of tampering.

Shmee
2014-09-23, 02:52 AM
Nilbog nods at Thokk and whispers as he had a bad history when it came to children. "We should go look at were they slept. MAYBE THERE IS A CLUE!" somehow while whispering Nilbog was still able to yell. But before they head in, he turns to the Gnome "Have you noticed any strange people around the orphanage? Did the missing children talk to any strangers that may have entered the orphanage posing as a guest?"

Binks
2014-09-23, 08:30 AM
Booker examines the lock, letting out a low whistle at its quality before checking for any marks. Upon finding nothing Booker moves to rejoin the party after their work is done. "Whoever entered either bypassed the door, or we're dealing with one of the greatest lock picks around. No evidence the lock has ever been picked." Booker whispers to the others once they have joined up.

Chimaera
2014-09-23, 09:17 AM
"No magical reading too", Argo says as he look for windows, " Argo, if you were a hungry childeating monster and had to get inside and failed to bypas the locks... How would you enter this place?", he says more to himself and begin looking for an way to enter without having to deal with the locks.

Shmee
2014-09-23, 10:39 AM
Nilbog turns his head to Argo and whispers "IF I WAS A MONSTER? I'd find a way to trick the children to come outside. If no one came in, we need to check if someone went out."

Binks
2014-09-23, 11:12 AM
"Out a locked door?. No...there must be an alternate means of entry. Check the windows, maybe one of them is loose. Or a chimney...though those are a lot harder to get through than they look..." Booker says, thieves instincts taking over as he searches the orphanage's exterior for signs of alternate entryway.

"Other options are some form of hidden passageway in the room itself or that the kids weren't in there when it was locked for some reason. Very strange...I was just expecting some form of teleportation spell..." he continues as he searches, careful to stay quiet enough to be inaudible to the orphans inside as be searches.

Search: [roll0], +2 if I can use spot instead.

Chimaera
2014-09-23, 11:14 AM
"It could be possible, but I think it's unlikely...", Argo tell Nibolg.

He then walk to the gnomish lady, "Can we talk witht the children come tomorrow? See if anyone heard anything, etc?".

Argo then walk away and talk to his companions in private, "I was thinking... Maybe we could ask the clergy to cast some spell to speak with the dead rogues to get some answers or maybe we should find that vigilante girl. Anyone want to get a drink in some tavern? We cn try to get some informations about this gang there too".

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 11:33 AM
The gnome shakes her head at Nilbog's question, "No, no persons before the kidnappings, sense then there has been a lot. Almost all of them asking to talk to the children. So, I made the choice that no one talks to the children unless they are here to adopt. I'm sure that upsets you, it upset the town guard as well. They are my children, and I won't have them harassed." she looks at Thokk her voice changing to a sweet maternal tone, "Sweatheart, could you do me a favor? My son Patch is out in the shed, could you go fetch him. He may be needed soon."

Shmee
2014-09-23, 12:36 PM
"ALRIGHT FINE! I won't talk to the kids..." growls Nilbog before turning to the rest "While Thokk goes off to look for her son, I'm going to have a look around and see if I can find a way the children might have escaped. After all... I'm a Goblin and we see things from a... lower perspective..." Nilbog seems to be muttering under his breath for almost calling himself 'small'. "You can hit the taverns with Booker, its more your thing. Once I am done here I will be going back to the temple anyway... BECAUSE I AM SICK OF SLEEPING IN A CAVE! So I can also speak to Jenya about your idea while I'm there. We can meet up at the temple in the morning with any information we've got."

With that, Nilbog goes off, and begins his search around the orphanage, while at the same time keeping an eye out to see if any of the children might be awake.

Search roll: [roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 12:44 PM
Nilbog doesn't find any opening, the wood of the walls is sturdy if old. He doesn't hear any children on the other side awake, just quiet sleeping sounds.

Shmee
2014-09-23, 01:10 PM
Nilbog scratches his head in frustration, and turning to the door where he hears the sleeping sounds he walks up to the door and takes a peek through the key hole.

[roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 01:11 PM
Looking through the key hole reveals that there are springs and locking mechanisms.

Darksidebro
2014-09-23, 01:21 PM
Thokk trudges through the mangled garden and knocks on the dilapidated shack with three loud thuds. He tries to see if he sees any movement through the cracks in the wooden walls. "Gnomish Son? You are needed."

[roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 01:27 PM
The door to the shack opens and Thokk is met with a eight foot tall man with orchish heritage, "No gnomish son here. Me Patch" He presses his thumb against his chest proudly smiling.

Darksidebro
2014-09-23, 01:42 PM
Thokk looks up at the man, something he doesn't have to do often. "Greetings... Patch. I am Thokk Chain-Breaker. Your.. Mother. Requests your presence." He beats his fist against his chest two times for the introduction.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 01:56 PM
Patch nods, "Okay, mommy needs me. Patch will come, chain-breaker." Patch follows Thokk inside and the mistress of the Orphanage then stands up, "If you have no more questions, Patch here will show you out."

Shmee
2014-09-23, 04:31 PM
Nilbog looks up at Patch... then at his 'mother' before doing a double take "Nope... I'm not going to ask how... the thought is too disturbing even for me..." he says shaking his head. Turning to the Gnome he says "Couldn't find any escape routes... and the door is locked pretty tight. Who made those locks for you?" his voice back to normal now that he's sure that the children won't be waking up.

Chimaera
2014-09-23, 05:05 PM
"Well...", Argo look at the gnome and her son, " I guess we should takr our leave now, but...", he raise his index finger and add, "before we go. Patch is it? Do you sleep here with the kids? Or do you sleep someplace outsidr the building? Have you heard anything that night? We are here to help, not harass anyone'.

Once and if he answer, Argo bow his head and leave to the closest tavern.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-23, 06:30 PM
The good mother answers Nilbog's question, "The locks are gotten at the local locksmith, Gleve's Locks. It's the only place in town really." Then she gestures for the door.

Patch laughs, "Patch sleeps in his home, Patch built it himself!" Patch thumps his chest proudly.

Shmee
2014-09-23, 07:36 PM
"ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT! I CAN TAKE A HINT!" yells the Goblin as he walks out the door. Once everyone is out he scratches his head "So then... NO MAGIC INVOLVED... there was NO FORCED ENTRY... and the children couldn't have left their room. I think we need to visit this locksmith early in the morning... perhaps the... 'GOOD Mother' is not the only one with a key as she believes she is..."

Darksidebro
2014-09-23, 08:55 PM
Thokk stomps through the dark street with his Companions, his steps echoing loudly up and down the street. "Are we going to a Tavern? Or retiring for the night, to meet up at a Tavern for breakfast tomorrow?"

Chimaera
2014-09-23, 09:52 PM
"Hmmm, if the locksmith is involved it would explain somethings... How about meeting him comes.the morning? We go to a warm tavern, drink and rest. Whi's with me?"

Darksidebro
2014-09-23, 11:10 PM
Thokk looks up at the night sky. "It's been a long day, and Longer night. Ale is tempting... But we should get good sleep. We'll need it for tomorrow."

Shmee
2014-09-24, 12:12 AM
"I've had enough drinks for one night. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I'll be heading to the temple for some shut eye. We can meet up at the tavern for breakfast."

Darksidebro
2014-09-24, 12:49 AM
Thokk nods at Nilbog, and waves farewell to the others, trudging off through the puddles of the dark street in silence. He watches the rooftops and the alleyways all the way back to the Gymnasium of Kord, ever alert to potential Thug ambush.

Arriving at the Gymnasium Thokk takes in a deep breath and smiles. Feels good to finally be home. He stomps off to his room, to tired to be quiet. Entering, Thokk sits down on his ragged cot and pulls out a bottle of Ale. Taking a swig as he pulls his boots off, the Rod of the Knight slips out and clangs on the stone floor; Thokk picks it up to examine it once more, still surprised the Cuthbert Church entrusted him with such an artifact.

The Orc strokes the handle of his nearby Greatsword and mulls over the night's events, Booker's words strike a nerve with him: "Maybe we did stumble onto something big, friend." He raises the bottle of ale as if toasting the perceptive thinking of his companion.

Putting the alcohol away he lays down for bed. The last thing going through Thokk's mind before he drifts off to sleep is that he hopes his friends made it home alright.

Binks
2014-09-24, 10:46 AM
Booker bids adieu to his allies and heads off to his current residence, a small rented room in a dilapidated old inn on the outskirts of town. Sneaking in through the window, mostly to test the usefulness of this fancy rod the church lent him, he checks that the room is secure before getting some shut eye.

Chimaera
2014-09-24, 11:03 AM
Seeing the group heading to their places, Argo sighs and head to a tavern to spend the night.
Maybe he could find drinks, food and company for the night to go by.

Heexpected to question about the Last Laugh there, but being alone triggered a more defensive behavior on him, so he just do what he have to do and stay late enough to not be a complete mess comes the morning.

Does we got XP from the thugs?

Shmee
2014-09-25, 02:43 PM
Nilbog waves to the others as he heads to the temple. However, where the others kicked up their feet and called it a night, the Goblin was going to be very busy. Finally coming as close as he has ever been to finding the knowledge he sought out, Nilbog wrings his hands as he chuckles to himself and tries to quietly head to the library.

Hide Roll [roll0]
Move Silent Roll [roll1]

Upon sneaking undetected into the temple's Library, Nilbog proceeds to start searching for the forbidden knowledge which had attracted him to this city in the first place. After several hours, Nilbog notices a weird tome. Running his hand over it Nilbog realizes what had drawn him to it. To his horror he realizes that the tome was bound with Goblin skin. Fighting the urge to yelp, opens the book and after flipping several pages, a smile grows on his face which goes from ear to ear.

Wasting no time and placing the tome in his bag, Nilbog quietly slips into the night and runs towards his cave, shaking with delight but not wanting to tempt fate by drawing attention to himself. Finally reaching the saftey of the cave that his calls 'home', Nilbog finally lets out everything that he had pent up as he roars to no one in particular "That is why I am called NILBOG THE GREAT! BECAUSE I AM SO GREAT! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

He then decides that he better get some rest, for he was going to demonstrate his greatness again, come morning. Even as he slept he could be heard mumbling in his sleep "Mwahahahahaha...."

Lady Tialait
2014-09-26, 04:53 AM
The next morning the sun is shining and mists have collected in the bowl that makes up the city. The group gathers at the Tipped Tankered Tavern, as agreed upon.

250 XP each

Two men followed you here, keeping their distance. When you looked their direction they ducked into an alleyway then showed back up later on following you again.

Chimaera
2014-09-26, 11:20 AM
Satisfied from the drinking and gambling from last night, Argo walks with smile in his tired face.

"Last night was fun...", he thinks as he wander the strets to the tavern to meet the rest of the party.

[roll0]

Binks
2014-09-26, 12:07 PM
Booker waits at a table in the lightly crowded tavern, having arrived in advance of the sunrise after a good night's sleep. Waving to the others as they enter he keeps his eyes open for potential threats or points of interest. It wouldn't do to have the church's inquisitor rod pick-pocketed after all.

[roll0]

Darksidebro
2014-09-26, 12:49 PM
Clad in full Scalemail armor with a Tremendous Greatsword strapped to his back, Thokk tromps along through misty streets and alleyways on his normal route from the Gymnasium to the Tavern. Walking briskly with a nod to every earlybird passerby, the Orc soon finds himself outside the agreed upon meeting tavern. With a grunt he swings wide the door and steps inside, spotting Booker he moves to sit with the human. Without a word Thokk waves Down a Tavern Girl and orders breakfast.

Shmee
2014-09-28, 03:23 PM
Nilbog walks into the tavern with a huge smile sprawled over his face. Noticing the rest of the group, he walks to them and takes a seat giving them his normal greeting "Good morning my peons!" his voice was no longer gravelly nor is he growling as he speaks. "So, whats our plans for today?" unlike Thokk, Nilbog does not order anything to eat or drink.

Chimaera
2014-09-28, 06:37 PM
"I guess we'll break our fast and then go check on the locksmith guy. After that we have only the enigma to think about...", argo says as he raise his hand calling out a servant girl, "Please some coffee for me and a muffin for our little friend here", he says pointing to Nilbog.

Shmee
2014-09-28, 06:57 PM
"NO THANK YOU! No sugary stuff for me today... I'm sweet enough as it is." he says still smiling to the girl who takes their order, before turning to Argo "I drank so much ale last night that I think I may need to go on a diet for today." he says patting his stomach which he pumps out to make himself look fatter.

Guess as he's lying I'd have to roll.
Bluff roll: [roll0]

Darksidebro
2014-09-28, 10:10 PM
Thokk snorts at Nilbog's response. "Must eat, little one. Or you'll never grow strong." He says matter of factly.

"The locksmith.. Yes. He may know something, and as Nilbog stated last night-" he rattles the Greatsword on his back "- We may need to make him talk."

Turning to Booker, the Orc attempts to whisper, but it comes out deep and grating: "I was thinking last night.. The Gnomish woman and her offspring, Patch. Something didn't seem right. She was too short in her responses and far too quick to see us leave."

Shmee
2014-09-29, 07:38 AM
Nilbog turns to Thokk "ARE YOU SAYING THAT I'M TOO WEAK, SMALL AND PATHETIC TO HELP OUR GROUP? I'LL SHOW YOU!" he says still smiling as he yells at the Orc. He jumps down from his chair and declares "I shall lift this chair up TEN TIMES! That will prove that I do not need food to grow stronger!" as he attempts to lift it.

I'm guessing a Strength roll? If not, tell me what I need to roll.
[roll0]

Binks
2014-09-29, 10:08 AM
Booker nods at the other's suggestions, then drops his voice down to a whisper. "Before anything else, we need to do something about our tails. Did any of you notice the two men following us? I think we may want to have a...friendly conversation with them about what they're up to..." he adds.

Lady Tialait
2014-09-29, 05:07 PM
The chair Nilbog is trying to lift scoots a bit but isn't lifted, his confidence doesn't equal strength.

Chimaera
2014-09-29, 10:10 PM
"Someone is following us? :smallconfused:", Argo ask in a whisper then smile broadly, "Perfect. Let's leave the tavern and get ready to ambush them. Maybe we can get some information from them".

He then look at the orc, "And I agree with you. Maybe she's helping them or maybe they're initimidating her. Maybe threating the other kids, but whatever they're doing will have to stop".

He finishes his breakfast and wait for the rest to take to the streets, looking for a corner to ambush them when they least expect.

Darksidebro
2014-09-29, 11:45 PM
Thokk looks down at Nilbog's pitiful attempt and smirks. He then nods at Argo and pushes his plate away, signaling he's finished. "I didn't notice any 'Tails' following me. But if men mean to watch us, they can watch us draw blades!" He says with a deep growl at the end, getting up and looking quite ready to move out.

Shmee
2014-09-30, 03:52 AM
Climbing back on his chair after his rigorous workout and rubs his hand over his bald head "If we are being followed, then I suggest we flush them out. I offer to act as bait... they won't resist picking one someone like me. Once I lure them to a nice isolated spot, then we can make them bleed."

Binks
2014-09-30, 10:30 AM
Standing as well Booker speaks loudly enough to be overheard by anyone trying, a more casual tone of voice. "Well then. Off we go. This mystery isn't going to solve itself."

As soon as the others indicate, like Thokk, their readiness to depart he adds quietly "Keep an eye out for the tails. If anyone sees them give a signal and Argo and I can sneak up on them."

Shmee
2014-10-01, 06:51 AM
Nilbog follows Thokk and nods at Booker "RIGHT! Off we go TO SEE OUR CONTACT! We can't afford TO WASTE ANY TIME!" he somehow manages to yell in what is casual by his standards.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-01, 03:37 PM
The group walks through the city toward the locksmith, keeping an eye out for their tail.

Two tall men wearing cloaks are following about a block away, keeping their distance.

A small turret dominates the facade of this two-story black stone building. Iron bars are embedded in the thick window frames. Beyond the turret's ground-floor windows sits a lovely display of locks, from large to small, simple to complex. To the left of the turret, above a heavy oak door, swings a simple sign that reads “GHELVE'S LOCKS”.

Shmee
2014-10-01, 07:02 PM
Spot check [roll0]

Nilbog turns to the rest and says "So how are we going to do this? A couple of us go in, the others keep an eye out for trouble?"

Darksidebro
2014-10-01, 09:04 PM
Thokk looks up at the imposing building and frowns. "Seems to be doing well for himself. For a locksmith." He thinks to himself. The Half-Orc's gaze shifts to his tiny goblin friend. "You and I should wait outside. Booker and Argo are much better at Talking, and much more accepted by the Commonfolk." Thokk looks around at his sorroundings. "If trouble comes, we can handle it, little friend. Just remember to stay behind me and run inside if things turn for worse."

Shmee
2014-10-02, 06:13 AM
Nilbog is about to argue with Thokk, and then shrugs conceding the point to the half-Orc. They both knew that it was not easy being green. "DON'T YOU WORRY! I've prepared a few tricks up my sleeves for our 'friends'. If anything they shall be doing the running..." he says smiling at Thokk.

Binks
2014-10-02, 11:33 AM
Booker nods to Thokk before pushing the door open and stepping in. Glancing around briefly he heads towards the counter to talk to the locksmith.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-02, 11:48 AM
The front door is locked. When you push it a bell rings, and a gnomish man's head pops out of a upper window. "Go away! We are closed!"

Darksidebro
2014-10-02, 01:20 PM
Thokk looks down at the goblin questioningly, knowing full well Nilbog didn't have sleeves. He opens his mouth to say something but stops and sighs. He never would understand the customs of these city folk.

At the door being locked and the announcement of being closed, Thokk grunts. Unslinging his backpack and setting it on the ground he begins to rummage through it.

Thokk nudges Booker and gestures towards the Portable Ram he pulled from his pack. The large Orc then hoists it up into his shoulder and grins.

Binks
2014-10-02, 02:49 PM
Booker lets out a laugh as Thokk pulls the portable ram. Waving the Orc away from the door, for the moment at least, he tries a slightly more subtle approach.

Knocking a few times he speaks loudly but politely to the individual inside. "Sir. We're here from the Church of St. Cuthbert. We need to ask you a few questions please."

Waiting a moment to hear if there is any response Booker pulls out a few trinkets he keeps on his person for just such an occasion. Making a mental note to look into purchasing a real lockpicking kit, purely for the benefit of the Church's investigation of course, he goes to work on the lock if there is no sign that the proprietor is going to answer.

He gives it one shot to try and open the door quietly before giving Thokk free reign if necessary.

So trying three things:
1. Knock and ask politely. Worst case scenario is he bolts, but that would give us access to his files and a clear trail of guilt, so net positive if that happens even if we lose some questioning.
2. If that doesn't work try to pick the lock: [roll0]. I have a +4 to open lock naturally, no lockpicking kit (-2 penalty), and the rod (+10 bonus). Assuming this guy's got a higher quality lock, but I can potentially succeed against anything but a top of the line lock, so worth a shot. This way we can claim to be experts on locks and not damage any of his stuff before talking to him.
3. If neither of those works, I get out of Thokk's way and let Orc nature take its course.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-02, 05:18 PM
The gnome yells out, "I already told the guards everything I know! Go away!"

Darksidebro
2014-10-02, 10:24 PM
Thokk looks up at the man yelling from the window. "GNOMISH MAN!" He shouts in a deep guttural baritone with impressive volume. "I WILL DESTROY THIS DOOR, AND WE WILL FIND THE ANSWERS WE SEEK REGARDLESS OF YOUR COOPERATION!" The Orc waits to see if the man will come to reason in this situation.

I would like to attempt an Intimidate Check to show the Guy that Thokj means business. If that's allowed then its [roll0]

If that doesn't work or isn't allowed, then Thokk will attempt to break the door. Taking 20 with the battering ram and assuming Booker helping with it, that'll be.. [29] strength check.

Chimaera
2014-10-03, 12:09 AM
When the gnome keep waving them off, Argo smile, "We are not with the guards! We are here in account of the Laughter. We have some loose ends to... You know...", he says and wait to see if the gnome would bite his bait.

If he was cooperating with the Last Laugh maybe that would make him show his guilty now.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-03, 12:42 AM
The gnome yells down in panic from the half-orc, "Please don't hurt me!" The sound of scurrying is heard as ten locks are in sequence unlocked from the front of the building, a gnomish man in six foot stilts opens the door, "Just, get in quickly, and don't let anyone see you." He hurries all four into his shop and closes the door. "With how you talk, i'm assuming you are sent by Lord Vhalantru? It's about time he he send his agents to protect me." The gnome looks around, his eyes flash with magic, "Good, they arn't watching. They have him. You have to rescue him, if you don't. They will kill him, and I can't bare that!" He hushes himself, near panicing.

Shmee
2014-10-03, 03:55 AM
Nilbog continues to smile as he sees an opportunity "Yes! We are AGENTS! But we haven't been given much details." Well, technically they were agents... just not the agents that this Gnome was thinking of "CARE TO FILL US IN WITH WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?"

Lady Tialait
2014-10-04, 12:46 AM
The gnomish man keeps looking around as he speaks, "The tall ones, and the short ones. They took him, and took the master key. I told the Lord about this, and he said he would send agents. You bunch. I expected Lord Sheriff Tessereg, or perhaps the Stormblades." He looks around again, suddenly becoming silent, "Please don't hurt me! Take all the money from the registers and leave, Blaggards!" he holds his hands in the air looking at the group with fear.

Darksidebro
2014-10-04, 10:38 PM
Thokk draws his massive Greatsword and stands in the shop's doorway, continuing to guard the entrance, as the plan suggested. Preferring to leave the talking to those more qualified, the Orc listens intently to the Gnome's words as he watches the street.

Chimaera
2014-10-05, 10:05 AM
"Who took the masterkey from you? And who knows they stole it?", Argo ask the gnome before he offers the money in the register.

"We arent here to take your money or your life", he begins to lose his calm and slap the gnome, " Calm down. Answer our questions and we'll help you. Who took it? Who knows it was stolen?"

Shmee
2014-10-05, 11:13 AM
As Argos slaps the hysterical Gnome and Thokk goes to guard the door, Nilbog begins to look around the store. As the good gnome offered all of this money, Nilbog is pretty sure that he wouldn't miss a lock or two and tries to hide from the Gnome's view.

Hide roll [roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 02:50 PM
The gnome motions his eyes toward the back of his shop with his eyes, "Take whatever you want!"

Shmee
2014-10-06, 03:27 PM
Getting his hand on two fine looking locks which will probably fetch a fine price, Nilbog notices the Gnome motioning towards the back of the shop. He finds it weird that the Gnome at first seems to be cooperative, then acts as if a different personality. Nilbog knew well what it means to be touched in the head. While the others would talk to the Gnome, the Goblin decides to have a sneak peak inside.

Move Silently Roll [roll0]

Pulling the curtain which leads to the back room, Nilbog notices a door with a massive gear... something akin to a safe that has been rolled aside. The Goblin notices a path behind the door and decides to risk another peak. Using the Goblin's affinity for darkness, Nilbog sees that there is a staircase going down. Scratching his bald head, still smiling, Nilbog passes by the curtain leading to the shop, and excitedly begins jumping up and down like a maniac, trying to attract his companion's attentions, all the while pointing behind towards the back room.

Binks
2014-10-06, 03:55 PM
Booker, thoroughly confused by the gnome's odd behavior, notices Nilbog's attempt to get his attention. Blinking a few times in confusion he shrugs, mentally, and walks over to join the goblin, keeping his footsteps silent as he does so and looking around at the various wares on sale out of simple curiosity.

Move Silently: [roll0]
I'm not attempting to hide from the gnome, just not make any noise as I walk.

Also, will keep an eye out for any lockpicking tools on the way back. If Booker happens to notice some he'll grab them and drop a fair amount of coins wherever he found the kit.

Chimaera
2014-10-06, 04:03 PM
Argo was about to give the gnome another slap, but he see the gnome found something.

"A secret passage?", he wonders and move toward the hidden path as silently as he can.

Move silently [roll0]
Edit: forgot to add the skill modifier (+8).
So the result is 16

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 04:19 PM
There is a lockpicking kit on the counter on the way to the curtain to the back of the store where the curtain is.

Darksidebro
2014-10-06, 04:25 PM
Thokk turns and watches his companions leave the gnome standing there as the move to the back of the shop. He opens his mouth to say something but sighs in frustration, the Orc looks closely back out the open door at the street. The Tails were still out there, waiting.

With a grunt Thokk slams the door and re-locks the numerous locks, he turns on the Gnome and rumbles out: "You come with me, Gnome." Thokk grabs the man roughly and attempts to drag him along with him towards the back of the store.

[roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 04:41 PM
The staircase descends another twenty feet before opening into a room. From this landing, you can hear strange sounds emanating from the chamber below, specifically chirping birds, rustling leaves, and cheery giggles. The landing itself is bare save for an empty iron torch sconce mounted on the south wall. The gnome screams and flails about for a moment in Thokk's grasp, then settles down after a bit, and begins to look bored.

Shmee
2014-10-06, 04:49 PM
Nilbog notices Thokk dragging the Gnome with him and giving a sigh slaps his hand over his face. The Goblin first points to Thokk and then taps his forehead with a finger. "ARE YOU CRAZY? WHAT DID YOU DRAG HIM DOWN HERE FOR?" whispering while yelling at the same time.

Darksidebro
2014-10-06, 05:51 PM
Thokk stops. Holding the gnome in mid air with one arm. He looks at Nilbog, puzzled. "Is this Gnome not working with the Last Laugh? Will he let us roam through his store and search his secret staircase? What if attempts to find the sheriff he spoke of? Or perhaps some friends from the Last Laugh?" His voice rises slowly as his questions draw to a close. Thokk gives the Gnome a violent shake to excentuate his point.

The Orc scowls as he hear's giggling from down the dark stairway. "The Orphans?" He asks urgently, turning to glare menacingly at the Gnome, who is still held suspended in the air.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 05:58 PM
The gnome shakes his head, "I don't know anything about the Last Laugh, and this staircase is just an old passage to the Gnomish district. As for the Sheriff, I thought you guys worked for him? What is going on here?"

Shmee
2014-10-06, 06:54 PM
"AS I SAID... we are Agents... just not the type you think. The fact that you lost your master key may be the lead we need. So how about this? You give us some information to prove that you aren't with the guys who are trailing us... AND WE'LL PROVIDE YOU EVIDENCE OF WHO HIRED US? Whadda ya say? We got a deal? Common... common.... I know we can work something out... scratch my back, and I scratch yours?"

Diplomacy Roll: [roll0]

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 08:49 PM
The gnome shakes his head, "Nothing you just said made any sense. Listen, if you guys will rescue my little Ghelve junior, I'll answer any questions you want. He is located in the old gnomish district. I am frankly scared to go down there."

Darksidebro
2014-10-06, 10:26 PM
Thokk throws the Gnomish man to the ground with a great thud and holds his Greatsword in both hands at the ready. "What is in the Gmomish district you fear? Is 'Glheve Jr.' An orphan of yours?" The Orc continues to stand over the gnome and stares down at him menacingly.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-06, 11:18 PM
The gnome scampers back as much as he can, "The vanishing! It made all the gnomes living down there dissapear twelve years ago! I am a gnome! As for Ghelve Jr. he's my familiar!"

Chimaera
2014-10-06, 11:41 PM
"Ok, we'll get to this familiar of you and you'll help find out who stole your keys. We're here to help find the orphans and the others who got kidnapped and we're pretty sure your master key have some part in how they're kidnaping people", he then looks downstairs, "What lies down there that scare you that much?"

Darksidebro
2014-10-07, 07:13 AM
Thokk scowls deeply and spits on the floor. "Mages..." He mumbles to himself while walking towards Nilbog, his booted footfalls sending echoes through the store.

Upon reaching the goblin, Thokk leans against the open staircase doorway. Greatsword still held in his hands.

Binks
2014-10-07, 09:14 AM
Slipping away from the others as they question the Gnome Booker does his best to stealthily recon the area ahead to get some idea where the noises are coming from.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Lady Tialait
2014-10-07, 10:30 PM
The gnome's eyes open wide, "I know who stole my keys, the tall ones and the short ones. They are creatures of darkness, they took my familiar too! They took all of it down into the gnomish district, because they knew I wouldn't go down there after the vanishing plague. My whole family disappeared down there!"

---
Up ahead, the staircase ends at a forty-foot-square room with a ten-foot-high ceiling. A slight draft blows into the from a ten-foot-wide open passage in the far wall, directly across from the stairs. Two four-foot-diameter circular doors are set into the middle of the south wall. Each door is made of wood and framed with a ring of mortared stones. The westernmost door is closed and inscribed with a strange glyph. The easternmost door bears a different glyph but rests half-open. The half-open door reveals an iron rim of gearlike teeth, and a dim light spills from the chamber beyond. Mounted to the walls of the room are twelve tarnished copper masks. The masks are two feet tall and cling four feet above the floor. Each one depicts a smiling gnome's visage. The soft giggling, chirping, and rustling noises seem to pour from the very walls.

Welcome to Jzadirune - behold the wonder!
But beware, ye who seek to plunder.
Traps abound and guardians peer
Beyond every portal, behind every gear.

Shmee
2014-10-08, 11:43 AM
"What familiar are we talking about anyway? And why would someone threaten you like that?"

Lady Tialait
2014-10-08, 12:36 PM
The gnome sighs, "He's a super cute rat. As for who would do that? Someone who didn't want me to report the stolen keys to the local authorities. So, I haven't. I asked Lord Vhalantru, he said he would send agents."

Binks
2014-10-08, 01:16 PM
Booker sighs, completely mentally of course, making any noise at all being completely counterproductive to his current goal of sneaking about.

Of course...wouldn't be a gnome settlement without traps everywhere... he thinks, more amused than anything else as he prepares to examine the area.

Stepping into the square room he glances about in every direction, including up. Being ambushed from the ceiling once is enough for a lifetime after all. Once certain the room is clear, at least as best as his limited senses can tell, he slips towards the southern doors. He first approaches the westernmost door, examining the glyph to see if it holds any clues but spending very little time near it. His examination of the other door is more detailed, as he checks to gearlike teeth to try to determine their purpose and attempts to peer into the room beyond without being noticed.

Once he has finished his first pass examination of the area Booker returns to the party to grab the others. He takes special care as he moves to stay away from any of the copper masks and keeps his posture and body language neutral, suspecting that the 'guardians' may, in fact, be some form of enchanted magics about.

Alright...stop me when I trigger a trap and die a pointless death :smalltongue:.

1. Want to just glance at the westernmost door from closer up. Not touching anything, but memorizing the glyph and checking if I've ever seen anything like it before. Knowledge check? If it's history [roll0] and I am trained so can get more detailed knowledge. If it's anything else subtract 2 from that and I can only get DC 10 or less information as I am untrained.

2. Moving to the easternmost door. I would like to examine the teeth and try to determine if they are related to how the door works and, if so, how one would go about opening the door. Also checking it for traps I guess? I have trapfinding, but also basically no ranks in search, so probably won't find anything. Search on the door: [roll1]

3. After examining the door want to just peer into the lit room beyond and get a basic idea of its layout. Spot: [roll2]. I assume listen will just return the same 'all around you' noises as before, so skipping that roll (even though I'm far better at listening than looking).

4. Once all that is done, if nothing has triggered, heading back to rejoin the others and tell them what I've seen, will post that IC if nothing happens before then.

Darksidebro
2014-10-08, 06:56 PM
Thokk follows Booker after the human comes to get the party. Greatsword drawn and held in front of him, Thokk stalks down the stairs and makes no attempt at being quiet as his heavy footfalls and clanking scale mail echo down the stairs.

Ready for anything the Orc arrives at the room of masks. Grimacing at the strangeness of it all as his eyes fall on the glyphs. "Magical traps?" He asks booker, again not trying to be quiet, as Thokk would feel much more comfortable fighting something in the open on his terms then getting caught trying to sneak.

Lady Tialait
2014-10-08, 08:26 PM
Booker doesn't find any traps, however the symbols on the doors are old gnomish. The doors have a key hole in the middle of each of them, and the way that Booker is looking toward leads to a dusty cobweb filled room with fifteen beds and fifteen footlockers.

Chimaera
2014-10-08, 10:45 PM
Arog remains silent looking at everything.
Definitely, dying from a trap in a dark place wouldnt achieve any fame. At all.
That wont do.

He then begin doing small gestures as his shadow do some on his own, completely diferent than the ones he's doing.
When he finish, his eyes glow with dark light (Or should I say.. glow with darkness?) and he look around the room, looking for magic.

Detect magic on everything in the room

Lady Tialait
2014-10-08, 11:19 PM
The gear doors have abjuration and conjuration affixed to them, the masks have illusion. A small amount of illusion is all around.
A small trail of conjuration leads down a hallway.

Shmee
2014-10-09, 05:27 AM
Nilbog follows behind Thokk, scratching his head as Arog and Booker look around. All of a sudden Nilbog sits down next to Thokk and searching his backpack, he brings out one of the parchments that he had taken from Jenya.

"Beyond the Curtain, Below the Cauldron
In the Malachite Prison, Half a Dwarf binds them but not for long."

Smiling as he looks at the half opened door with the iron rim "I think we may be on the right track. YOU THINK A GNOME COUNTS AS A HALF-DWARF?"

Binks
2014-10-09, 09:38 AM
Booker nods to Nilbog. How could I have forgotten the door with teeth thing already?

"I doubt it, but I doubt even more we've seen everything down here. Are you sensing anything Arog? I didn't spot any traps, but I'm honestly not the best at that sort of thing." he notes before moving back to the eastern door.

"My vote is we move carefully and examine these rooms. We should probably do everything possible to avoid looking like looters, as I don't like the sound of that rhyming warning the gnomes put up here." he says, pointing to whatever surface held the message he first saw.

Before proceeding into the open doorway Booker waits for Arog's assessment of the area.

Chimaera
2014-10-09, 10:57 AM
"There are several magics around...", Argo says looking around and pointing at things, "Illusions cover everything around as well as the masks... Abjuration on the doors, probably some lock spell to ward off looters, even though one of them is already open... And conjuration on the door too... Maybe some runes or stuff like that?"

He then look at the goblin and smile, "You're pretty smart, didnt expect anything else from you. Good job Nilbog", he look at the rest, "We'll have to bypass the door and keep going, but there may be traps. Since I'm the one who can heal us I hope you dont mind if I'm not the first in line. Who wants to take the lead? Also, I believe the rod of the inquisitor may help us bypass whatever door block our passage".

Once the first in line is decided Argo says, "Let's go! We have a righteous quest to do here!", in an almost mockery tone.

Darksidebro
2014-10-09, 12:20 PM
Thokk listens quietly to the chatter of his friends, intent on not being distracted by something barreling through either door with hopes of slaying them. He shifts uneasily, not comfortable in these cramped rooms with traces of magic.

The large Orc puffs out his chest when Argo is done speaking. "If we move as a group then ill go first. Others should stay behind me." He says in a deep baritone even though he attempted to whisper. "Does anyone have a torch or some form of light source?"

If nobody has anything else to say, Thokk moves to open the slightly ajar door and walks through it once everyone is in position.

Shmee
2014-10-09, 06:58 PM
Nilbog tugs at Thokk's pants, and once the Half-Orc looks down at the Goblin he will notice that Nilbog is pointing to his red eyes with a smile on his face "DOES IT LOOK LIKE YOU AND I NEED TORCHES?" He then turns around to Argo, still smiling "If you didn't expect anything else from me, then I'M ABOUT TO PROVE YOU WRONG! I'll take the rear and watch it... BECAUSE I CAN SEE QUITE FINE IN THE DARKNESS!" he yells as he takes out his crossbow and prepares a bolt.

Darksidebro
2014-10-09, 09:05 PM
Thokk squats down on his haunches and casts a sideways glance at the humans, his own eyes a deep crimson in the dark. He looks down at Nilbog, still a full head taller than the goblin. He speaks quietly in the quick, sharp, guttural language of Goblins: "The Humans will be both a weakness and a hindrance down here. I know we'll do fine, but still they can't see. Light will give us away, but darkness will have them stumbling over their feet. Bringing them may not have been the best idea, but Booker is a good fighter. I do not trust the Mage though, either at my back or in combat. Keep sharp eyes on him for us, little friend."

"That reminds me, take this." Thokk hands Nilbog a small fingerlength tube made of wood and bone. "A Signal Whistle, if you see anything, blow it."

After several minutes of speaking in the harsh Language, Thokk stands back up and stretches. Peering into the darkness ahead he rumbles out a quick sentence in common: "So, the Light?"

Shmee
2014-10-10, 12:23 PM
Nilbog replies to Thokk in the same language

"ITS NOT THEIR FAULT THAT THEIR GODS MADE THEM INFERIOR TO OUR KIND! If you fear the Elf and his magic, HAVE NO FEAR! I am NILBOG THE GREAT and I've learned a bit of... Elf Magic of my own. I'll look after you my little friend." He would normally be giving Thokk a pat on the back, but due to the size diffrence, he ends up giving a pat on Thokk's thigh instead.

He takes the whistle and smiling says "Thanks... although if we do get in trouble... THEIR YELLS AND SCREAMS WILL BE LOUDER THAN ANY WHISTLE YOU CAN FIND! I WILL MAKE THEM REGRET THEY EVER MESSED WITH ME!" Naturally Nilbog fails to mention the fact that his screaming and yelling would also be loud enough to raise the alarm.

Binks
2014-10-10, 01:25 PM
Booker nods to Thokk to indicate his readiness, and assumes a position directly behind the Orc, taking the second slot so he can move quickly to attempt to disarm any traps the group may come across. Withdrawing a sunrod from his belt pouches he holds it up to indicate that he has it, but does not light it yet. "This is going to ruin any attempts at stealth for the short term." he notes.

"Can you see in the dark like Nilbog?" he asks Thokk and Argo. "I cannot but could follow you guys to avoid casting any light source until we need one. Personally I don't think stealth is our best option down here, based on that entry rhyme I think being blatantly obvious that we're here to rescue people and not steal things might be a good idea, but better to try stealth and fail over to light than to go with light from the start and ruin our chances."

If the group votes to use the light Booker ignites it and keeps it on the path ahead, avoiding pointing it at Thokk or too far away from the path. He takes the second slot in the group's marching order and waves Arog in behind him as he moves.

Shmee
2014-10-10, 03:21 PM
"It might be a good idea to... convince... our Gnomish friend... to give us a map... advise on where to go... what to avoid... what to expect... otherwise even with all the light in the world... WE'LL STILL BE GOING DOWN THERE BLIND REGARDLESS OF OUR ABILITIES TO SEE IN THE DARKNESS!"

Chimaera
2014-10-10, 03:36 PM
"No no no, my little friend", Argo tell Nilbog, " You misunderatood me. I expect nothing less than your quick cunning. Not nothing else".

He then go down to the same eye height of the goblin so to not look down on him, "I can see greatness in your action and words, Nilbog. And Im sure youll make everyone proud, even my father", he then give the goblin a genuine smile.

He then looks at the others, " I'll need light. Or else will be only a burden and wont be able to help much"

Darksidebro
2014-10-10, 08:58 PM
Thokk snorts derisively at Argo's words to Nilbog. Thinking them pompous and unneeded. The Orc turns and nods to Booker: "The Sunrod, then."

He eyes Nilbog thoughtfully at the goblin'a mention of where to go. "We already know what we're looking for.. Half a Dwarf and a Malachite prison. We're on the trail so far."

Thokk then pulls a small ring engraved with the symbol of Kord out of his pocket and slips it on his finger. "Kord lend us his strength." He mumbles to himself. With that, he swings wide the partially ajar door, readying his Greatsword at the same time.

If there is nothing alarming or dangerous in the room beyond the Thokk will stalk forward as quietly as he can.

Move Silently [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Search [roll3]

Shmee
2014-10-11, 04:40 PM
Smiling back at Argo Nilbog speaks in the Elven tongue. It is a very thick accent... but its Elven alright

"As proud as a Goblin can make an Elf that is! I've been around the Elven lands... I DON'T THINK I NEED TO REMIND YOU WHAT YOUR PEOPLE THINK OF MINE!

He falls to the rear of the group, keeping an eye out himself in case of any trouble.

Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Shmee
2014-10-11, 04:42 PM
(Oops forgot my Move Silently roll)

Chimaera
2014-10-12, 02:22 PM
"I'm not my people, Nilbog. In fact, I ran from my people land", Argo says with a bitter smile