PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember a spell

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 06:09 PM
I remember reading a spell somewhere that makes the target subject to an entire prison sentence in the span of a few seconds. The subject remembers the entirety of the sentence but it never actually happened. I can't remember what it is called, or where I found it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-18, 06:15 PM
I can't remember a thing like that existing either. You could duplicate the effect with mind rape though.

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 06:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the spell I'm thinking of adversely affected a mental stat as well. I'll use mindrape if I have to, but it's for a game world where one of the city states is run by mages. It's their version of prison. It seemed fitting enough

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-18, 06:26 PM
I can't remember a thing like that existing either. You could duplicate the effect with mind rape though.

You can duplicate any effect with mind rape. Well, except for the ones that require Ice Assassin and/or Gate.

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-18, 06:28 PM
You can duplicate any effect with mind rape. Well, except for the ones that require Ice Assassin and/or Gate.

Okay that is a fair point :smalltongue:

RolandDeschain
2014-09-18, 06:30 PM
The only thing I can think of that comes close is the Glimpse of Eternity spell - 5th level arcane enchantment, but it has nothing to do with a prison sentence, the subject experience all the ancestral memory and experiences of the elves and results in confusion + nonlethal damage

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 06:34 PM
If I have to, I'll homebrew something, but I would rather not.

Alent
2014-09-18, 06:39 PM
Could you perhaps be misremembering a Sci-fi movie which did the same thing via technology?

There was one I remember seeing on Sci-fi channel back before they were making TV series where the inventor of such a technology accidentally mazed himself with it while attempting to prove that it was safe.

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 07:06 PM
Could you perhaps be misremembering a Sci-fi movie which did the same thing via technology?

There was one I remember seeing on Sci-fi channel back before they were making TV series where the inventor of such a technology accidentally mazed himself with it while attempting to prove that it was safe.

Definitely a spell. Although now that I think about it, I'm only about 95% certain it came out of D&D. Could have been another game. I don't think it was another game, but it may have been.

Also, there was an episode of Star Trek DS9 with kind of the same thing

holywhippet
2014-09-18, 07:45 PM
There is sanctify the wicked from BoED but that takes an actual year.

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 07:59 PM
That is the first time I have read that spell for some reason. Not exactly what I'm going for, but nice none the less. Thanks for pointing it out

Fax Celestis
2014-09-18, 08:17 PM
Sounds sort of like being sent to prison in Oblivion.

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 08:43 PM
So, I decided screw it. If I can't find it, I'll just homebrew something.

I'm thinking

Enchantment (Mind Affecting)
Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 9
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: Touched creature
Duration: 1 year
Saving Throw: Will Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The caster stares into the condemned's eyes for one full minute without interruption. After the casting is complete, a hole opens up underneath the condemned and swallows them. into a featureless gray cell with only a small slot in one wall through which they deliver food, and a grim-looking drain in the floor through which he must eliminate waste. This cell has one light source in the ceiling behind a translucent panel that cannot be broken. There is no door. No one speaks to him. He sees no one. He hears no one except when voiceless figures approach to give him food. He can scream and thrash and bang his head against the walls, but nothing ever changes. Even if he somehow escapes, he just winds up in another room exactly like the one he left. Things go on like this for a number of years equal the caster level of the person who cast this spell. Then one day, a door that wasn't there the day before opens. Light floods into the room, and the prisoner notices smells he hasn't smelled since before he came to this awful place. He stands on shaking legs and stumbles into the light…
…to find himself staring in the eyes of the caster who imprisoned him. He comes to his senses to find that only minutes have actually passed—one minute per year spent in the prison. Every maddening minute of the years and years he spent imprisoned remains fresh in his memory, but now he’s somehow got to get on with his life among all these other people after all that time alone.

For every 5 years spent in the prison, the condemned suffers a 2 point penalty to wisdom, intelligence, and charisma. This penalty lasts for 1 year. A successful save negates the ability penalties

Only the Effects of an Atonement, Wish, or Miracle can restore them.

Thoughts?

Alent
2014-09-18, 08:51 PM
Erm, it would seem to me this spell has a non negligible chance of rendering the victim comatose or a vegetable for a year given the minimum caster level on a level 9 spell, a level 20 caster could conceivably leave a person with 0's in at least one mental stat.

Perhaps tone down the mental stat damage and let the caster customize the duration and isolation?

I have a few thoughts on the isolation from an effectiveness perspective, but you don't have to accurately implement the SAN damage such a thing would cause, so that is largely just preference.

Also. "Whole" = "hole"?

Reaper217
2014-09-18, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the grammar catch. I also changed the penalty. Any other pieces of helpful criticism?

Also, my mistake it did come from another game. I found the spell in the other game. It's from White Wolf's Scion. Psychic Prison (Level 7 Justice Purview)

Oneris
2014-09-18, 09:55 PM
It sounds vaguely like this spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/maddening-oubliette) from Pathfinder.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't read before I posted.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-18, 10:30 PM
You should look up the text on imprisonment and steal from it liberally.