PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making a Tree character, and would love assistance

The Vagabond
2014-09-18, 10:27 PM
So, I'm trying to make a character that's an awakened tree, so I have to ask, do you have any tips on how too boost my effectiveness? Any class recomendations? Any must have items? The game's level 10, so I have 5 class levels.

Gnome Alone
2014-09-18, 10:35 PM
Take Leadership for a free Dryad BFF?

Nihilarian
2014-09-18, 11:06 PM
What are the stats for an awakened tree?

Dyllan
2014-09-18, 11:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... you're still rooted into the ground and therefore immobile, right?

How exactly will that work as a character?

Erik Vale
2014-09-18, 11:20 PM
That, and you'd lack communication, hands, etc.

There's some 3pp tree based races, or you could play a Treant.
If your DM allows you to uproot as a tree animated by a Treant, then speed boosting gear is a priority, as well as size changing gear, as you're going to be quite large and moving at 10ft, both bad things for general play.
If the game ran long enough with a Treant, you'd get an additional 4 levels by level 20 I think, which should make things easier, but you're basically stuck in a fighting class, such as barbarian. Or monk.
*Finds Awaken*
Ah, what size tree are you playing? Because that'll change lots of things.

Pex
2014-09-18, 11:31 PM
Start with the warforged statistics replacing "construct" for "plant". Some changes will be necessary. For example, you're still a complete living creature even though you're a plant so you would get full benefit from healing spells. You would be vulnerable to fire. Your bark gives you +2 Natural Armor, and you can spend a feat on Oak Body. You are a plant creature with wood for all spells that would matter.

Erik Vale
2014-09-19, 12:50 AM
Start with the warforged statistics replacing "construct" for "plant". Some changes will be necessary. For example, you're still a complete living creature even though you're a plant so you would get full benefit from healing spells. You would be vulnerable to fire. Your bark gives you +2 Natural Armor, and you can spend a feat on Oak Body. You are a plant creature with wood for all spells that would matter.

He's playing PF, not 3.5, and he's playing an Awakened Tree, which acts as a animated object.
Thus, we need to know the trees size so we can figure out it's CR so we can make appropriate suggestions.

Psyren
2014-09-19, 01:08 AM
Trees are anywhere from 5 to 20ft. in diameter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/wilderness), which usually means anywhere from Medium to Gargantuan. I would go with Large or Huge to avoid logistical problems though.

Heliomance
2014-09-19, 05:48 AM
He's playing PF, not 3.5, and he's playing an Awakened Tree, which acts as a animated object.
Thus, we need to know the trees size so we can figure out it's CR so we can make appropriate suggestions.

He's already said it's a level 10 game and he has 5 class levels to play with. I think we can safely assume that he and his DM between them have come up with racial stats that satisfy them.

That said, it would be really useful to see said stats so that we know what kind of thing it's suited for.

The Vagabond
2014-09-19, 06:23 AM
Oh, my apologies, I am playing a large tree/animated object, which leaves me with 3 cp, 5 class levels, no constitution score, +12 str, -2 dex, +3 to one mental stat, and -3 to another.

avr
2014-09-19, 06:47 AM
You probably don't want to start a pure spellcaster 5 levels behind. It doesn't seem well suited to being a skill monkey. Maybe a paladin? You can get a pretty high charisma with +3 racial and dumping wisdom will be safe, and the image amuses me at least.

Heliomance
2014-09-19, 07:10 AM
Snowflake Wardance Bard? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYt4HvUxIM)

Nihilarian
2014-09-19, 11:14 AM
Large size and +12 strength means you probably want melee. This is reinforced by you losing 5 class levels, a misstep for dedicated casters. Half-caster gishes lose a bit less, and IMO half-casters are what Paizo is best at.

I would go Skald and pretend I'm Treebeard, calling the Ents to war.

Diachronos
2014-09-19, 11:32 AM
Tree Rogue. You should get a MASSIVE bonus to Stealth in the forest, making sneak attacks extremely easy.

On a more serious note:
Barbarian/Bloodrager would be a great first choice, but I don't know how exactly the rage would work out without having a Con score. If I remember right, Con -- is treated as if it were Con 10 when you're working with things that go off of your Con modifier, but I think that might be a 3.5-only ruling. Skald could be a good alternative, though.

Fighter is a nice choice, equipment's just going to be a little expensive because of the size/shape difference.

Paladin or Ranger might be good since they don't get much in the way of spellcasting anyway, and you might be able to do well with a class like Bard or Summoner that doesn't rely too much on your spells.

Brawler or Monk could be good too, though if you go with one of those I'd probably recommend Brawler since it's less MAD.