PDA

View Full Version : Class alignment

Grayson01
2014-09-18, 10:33 PM
So I was reading the Paladin section, I can't find anything that has a alighnment restriction. Am i just missing it? Do any of the other classes have alighnment restrictions?

Occasional Sage
2014-09-18, 10:41 PM
Nope, nothing you're missing. There are alignment *suggestions*, but no restrictions. While some of the Paladin oaths may be hard to see as "not LG" or some such, remember that those are the IDEALS of the character, not their day-to-day behavior. Heck, you can even have Chaotic monks and Lawful barbarians now!

Grayson01
2014-09-18, 10:49 PM
And Lawful BARDS :-) thanks

T.G. Oskar
2014-09-19, 03:04 AM
Playing a Good Paladin is a strong suggestion given by the fluff, but by no means Paladins have to be Good. The last paragraph actually mentions that Paladins rarely are of Evil alignment; that implies that at least one can be Evil.

Of the Oaths, Oath of Devotion fits the Lawful Good mentality, Oath of the Ancients fits Good overall (though hints of Chaotic Good), and Oath of Vengeance fits Lawful Neutral or just plain Neutral Paladins. All are explicitly mentioned, by the way.

No class has alignment restrictions anymore, so indeed, you can play Evil Paladins, Chaotic Monks and Lawful (or, for grognards out there, non-Neutral) Bards, and also non-Neutral Druids. Also, Lawful Good Warlocks. Alignment is mostly there for fluff reasons, since there's no spells that actually affect alignment, and there's no "damage against Good/Evil-aligned creatures" thing (that was replaced in a way by Radiant and Necrotic damage).

MukkTB
2014-09-19, 06:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that since the Paladin only gets the oath class feature at 3rd level, you can dip for two levels without any behavior restrictions at all. The fluff could easily be that you learned the basics but lacked the moral conviction to go further.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-19, 12:08 PM
...there's no spells that actually affect alignment, and there's no "damage against Good/Evil-aligned creatures" thing (that was replaced in a way by Radiant and Necrotic damage).

HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT?!

I now feel like a terrible person who feels terrible.

Ebon2014
2014-09-19, 12:52 PM
So I was reading the Paladin section, I can't find anything that has a alighnment restriction. Am i just missing it? Do any of the other classes have alighnment restrictions?

Also the 'Detect Evil' ability went away, and changed into 'Detect specific type of monster'.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-19, 12:59 PM
Also the 'Detect Evil' ability went away, and changed into 'Detect specific type of monster'.

There is Detect Good and Evil

I'm loving the inclusion of Good in that cycle of spells, since it represents how Paladins can be killing Good creatures, and still be Good themselves. Mainly from killing Celestials that are interfering with the affairs of mortals. Very human like, wanting to shape your own destiny.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-19, 05:22 PM
There is Detect Good and Evil

I'm loving the inclusion of Good in that cycle of spells, since it represents how Paladins can be killing Good creatures, and still be Good themselves. Mainly from killing Celestials that are interfering with the affairs of mortals. Very human like, wanting to shape your own destiny.

Or killing a Sephiroth who somehow remained good aligned... Or stopping a Celestial from murderizing drow children because they're drow. Or really, any example of overzealous outsiders needing stopping. :P

Pex
2014-09-19, 08:11 PM
Or in case Angels decide to go all "Legion"/"Dominion" on mortals for their lack of righteousness.

Trouble is Celestials are resistant or immune to radiant damage, so Paladins will have to improvise.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-19, 10:29 PM
Or in case Angels decide to go all "Legion"/"Dominion" on mortals for their lack of righteousness.

Trouble is Celestials are resistant or immune to radiant damage, so Paladins will have to improvise.

Unless they are evil/ neutral paladins. Then the necrotic damage comes imto play.

Is anyone up for a nice full glass of VENGEANCE against all that is holy today? :3

Talyn
2014-09-20, 11:17 AM
There are lots of non-radiant damage types as variant Smite spells - take that, rival angels!