PDA

View Full Version : Nexus Dancing Fox Inn XI: The Menu's Made Up and the Drinks Don't Matter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Deathkeeper
2014-09-19, 12:04 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn7/KCK_015/DancingFoxInnSign1.jpg

Welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn! Come and try our one of a kind beverages and food, chat with friends, or grab a private room and relax. All are welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn.

We would like to ask, please, no smoking in the establishment unless you are on fire. We understand that there are often exceptions. Thank you for understanding. Be sure to enjoy your stay.
If your characters are upstairs, please say so to avoid confusing the other occupants

Description:
The inn is . . . indescribable. Size wise, anyway. It has as many tables as needed, and as many chairs as needed. So that needn't be said as well.

The floors are smooth hewn logs. In fact the whole inn is made of wood, with a solid foundation of stones. There is a downstairs common room of tables and private booths, and an upstairs with bedrooms. There is a bar, behind the bar is a kitchen. The tables and seats are made of well-lacquered and cared-for wood, old but cleaned often. The private booths are also made of wood but the seats are cushioned with new upholstery of deep, earthy colors. There is also a basement that acts as storage for the drinks and food (and a secret meeting place). Access to the basement is through the kitchen.

Mist Anders is usually at the bar, with all sorts of convenient tools in his pockets. The fox-boy is currently the bartender and the waiter despite co-owning the place, but don't worry, his hands won't shed into your drinks.
Kitty is around the inn, waiting tables and keeping things running. Just don't stare at her poofy dress. Or the tails that it's supposed to be hiding.
Kestrel is...around. He does lots of things, and it's kind of difficult to pin down what he's doing and where he's doing it at any given time.

The inn as a whole can be described as homey, and great pains have been taken to fix it up and make it as good as new where it counts. New paint, new wood, everything. It's not the kind of thing to be shiny, but if it was, Mist would have gotten it sparkling.
Current Staff:
Mist Anders- Barkeep And Waiter And Owner (LordDeathKeeper)
Kitty- Waitress (Gulaghar)
Kestrel- Janitor, Medic, and All-Purpose Employee (recaiden)
Vemnon - Cook (Devixer)
Empty - Bard

HIRING: Pretty covered right now.
THE MENU:

Under Complete Overhaul. Until it's done, just ask Mist or Kitty for something.

Wines*:
Fender Bender Mender: A nice wine mixed with a healing potion. Comes in non-alcoholic. No one can quite decide on what it tastes like, as it likes healing taste-buds and making itself taste divine.
Bar Drinks*: Nuka Cola Cleansed. A fairly decent knock-off without the unfortunate ingredient of radiation. Plus all sorts of other things on tap!
Beers, Ales & Such*: If it's found in the Nexus, there's probably a pint of it somewhere
Food: Roast Pheasant, barbecued ribs, fresh fruit, and honestly anything you could probably think of. Once we have a cook, that is.
Dessert:

*Can substitute the alcohol for a magical liquid that can make anybody drunk, no matter what the resistance, for a little extra.

Some Excellent Poems
Dancing Fox Inn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5113391&postcount=1400) and DFI '09 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5592826&postcount=1146)
The Ballad of the Inn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4780487&postcount=714)
We Dream of a Town (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4561030&postcount=61)

http://i25.tinypic.com/2i6nrlz.png
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/Beans-tastic/beansseal.png

Side note: The DFI is not in any way, shape, or form, inside Inside. It's just a quiet little place off somewhere, that would like to stay free from apoco-plots, various inter-warring factions, and all that jazz.
Everyone is equally welcome here, just please leave it at the door.

And, as such,
On Violence:
The DFI is a peaceful place. There has been some IC, as well as OoC, talk about it, and the end result is 'please, for the sake of everyone else, don't do it'. If you want to fight, go elsewhere.
If you insist on fighting here, you will probably find your weapons turning into nerf versions of what they used to be, until you leave. After you leave they'll be returned to what they should be.
If you try to teleport someone out so you can kill them, it will fizzle and not work. Teleporting out in order to go do plot or RP stuff is fine. Just not to work around the rules and kill someone.
Lastly, if you choose to ignore these and keep trying to fight, you will either be ignored, or the entire inn and everyone else in it will be teleported off somewhere else, leaving you where it had been completely alone.
Or, you might find that there's a Nerf gun in your holster instead of your Glock. And a cheese stick in your knife sheathe. And generally other odd coincidences which would make that loadout rather useless.

Though please just don't.

Enjoy your stay.

And no, Mist can't dance, no matter what the name might have led you to believe. Kitty might. He hasn't asked her yet.

Recaiden
2014-09-19, 12:10 AM
The more important question: if there's another Fox sort of person here, can she dance?

Cleo, one of many (currently) unofficial bards, has no interest in this question though. She's settled in her corner, playing one of her favorite background tunes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mg8JiFDzk4).

The fact that the set of pipes it's being played on magically encourages calm and good cheer in those hearing it doesn't hurt the Inn's ambiance either.

Mee
2014-09-19, 12:16 AM
Mist smiles.
"I'm glad to hear that, Naku. I really am. And thank you, it really means a lot to have people here. I'd say more than you know, but I think you probably do.

I think it'll really help a lot in the NEW THREAD."

"I'm glad you're glad." Naku says, before grinning at him again, and hugging him tightly. "Anything you did want to ask or talk about? Since we're talking now already?"

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 08:05 AM
At some indeterminate point during the day, there is a flash of light from one corner of the inn. It's this brilliant, golden, unnatural light that seems to permeate every corner of the room, casting no shadow. Curiously, it is not blindingly intense, and lasts for barely a second before dissipating.

A curious individual stands in what before was an empty spot. They are naked, but their figure is completely androgynous; the skin glows with the same golden light that signalled its arrival, and is marked with darker, patterned areas. Their head is hairless, and bears pair of downward-facing horns sprout from their temples, which look to be iridescent bronze in colour.

Whether this being is divine, demonic, or indeed neither, remains to be established.

For the moment, they just stand there, appearing to be in a state of utter bewilderment.

Shadowcaller
2014-09-19, 09:39 AM
Fortuna's communicator will suddenly start to beep. It looks like Cessie Mithar is calling her.

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 10:10 AM
May as well provide a physical description of Fortuna, right?

She's a serpentine creature with a build that's a strange fusion of equine and feline, almost akin to an oriental dragon, though with a better defined body. Thick, dark grey fur covers most of her body, her underbelly is clad in obsidian scales etched with gold. Two Maleficent style horns grow from the back of her head with a third sabre-like horn sprouting from her forehead. Her eyes boast golden sclera, purple irises, and vertically slit pupils. Eyes that express far more than just a little bit of mischief. Her front limbs are equal parts eagle and lion while her back legs have all the strength and thickness of an earth pony's combined with the glove-hoofed grace of a unicorn. Two pairs of wings adorn her back, a larger pair equal parts dragon and griffin near her shoulders and a second, smaller pair like a congealing of pegasus and bat pony at her hips. Her tail is long and lithe, ending in a golden, a trapezohedron that appears almost like a spear point. The point appears to be a hollow frame containing stellar blackness flecked with flowing points of light a slowly turning galactic splash of blazing purple. A star trapped within a gilded cage.

Though perhaps her most striking feature is the pair of golden d6 faces on her haunches, as though she had a huge die simply growing out of her. Little purple tropical storm symbols of star sapphire surround each of the die's dots, slowly rotating.

She's wearing a pulp adventure style flight jacket sized for her unusual body, has a pair of flight goggles around her neck, and a fancy looking wrist computer on her front left leg.

Fortuna waves at the unusual newcomer, a slight tinge of concern on her face. "Hello there? Are you feeling alright?" she asks.

Then her PIPcolt begins warbling at her! She boops a button on it. "Hello Cessie. What's up?"

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 11:08 AM
At first, it seems that the newcomer is entirely oblivious to anything around them. They take a few steps forward, turn slowly on the spot, and generally look completely spaced out.

Then, the person half collapses. Doesn't even bother to find a chair or anything, just sort of floomps down onto their knees. Very slowly, their slit-thin eyes turn to look at Fortuna.

'This is some sort of trick, right?' It's not clear if she's directly addressing Fortuna directly, though from what she says next, one would hope she isn't. 'This is sick. You people are sick! It's one thing to trap me, but giving me false hope like this? That's low. That's so, so low.'

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 11:19 AM
Fortuna frowns at that reaction. Certainly not what she was expecting by any means! When the strange being collapses, she moves to try helping her back up, a look of clear worry on her face. Obviously this person is in distress, what can she do to help?

"I don't know who might have wronged you, but this place is safe," she assures the newcomer. "I'm Fortuna the Golden Dice of Wonder, resident draconequus and bringer of auspicious changes in fortune. And this is the Dancing Fox Inn in the Nexus, a meeting point between all possible worlds."

That's probably a lot to take in at once, Fortuna.

"And don't think you're trapped here. Leaving the Nexus can be trying, but it's possible," she offers as reassuring of a smile as she can. "I've been working on a means to open bridges that have closed. I might be able to help get you back to where you belong?"

Fortuna's bridge project is nowhere near being done.

But...

Sometimes hope helps, right?

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 12:23 PM
There's another long pause, as the glowing person tries to process this new information. There are a mixture of facial expressions that she makes - doubt, confusion, realisation, doubt again... and then, something that's probably very comforting.

Relief.

Not just 'phew, that was a bit worrying for a moment' relief, but all-encompassing, cathartic relief. Honey-coloured tears begin to trail down their face, but it's clear they are tears of joy, or at the very least, tears of being completely overwhelmed. She brings her knees up to her chest and lets out a long breath, then reaches forward to take Fortuna's helping hand.

'Do you know what I am, Fortuna? I think if you did, you'd know that I do not want to return to where I belong. So I should explain.'

Looks like she's about to tell a big story. Until she breaks down into sobs, that is.

'Just... sorry. I need a moment.'

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 12:39 PM
Fortuna has no idea what this person is. There are plenty of things in the Nexus that she isn't familiar with. But that hardly matters to her. All she sees right now is someone who could use some comfort.

While the newcomer cries, Fortuna gently wraps a wing around her in a feathery embrace.

"It's okay," she says soothingly. "Take all the time you need."

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 01:44 PM
It's a couple of minutes before the person has calmed themselves enough to speak. 'My name is Buhayyah. I am a djinn... one of an ancient race, who possess great power.'

A djinn, huh? She's certainly no genie in a bottle, that's for sure.

'In my world, djinn are prisoners to all the other folk of the world, who seek to use our power. We're hunted like game. Squabbled over like toys. Even if we manage to escape captivity, it's only a matter of time before someone finds us again, and locks us away. Most of my kin have given up on running any more,' she says, sadly. 'There's no point in putting up a fight. If you're lucky, your captor treats you well, and you live a secure existence for a decade or so, maybe more.'

Sounds like a pretty miserable existence.

'There was a man who rescued me, just now. I didn't know him. Not even his name. But he wished...' She pauses here, making a little gasping sound. 'I mean, he helped me to use my power to get here. To escape my world. I thought it was a trick at first, but if this truly is another world...' A broad smile spreads over her face. 'Then truly, I am free.'

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 02:09 PM
Fortuna listens studiously to Buhayyah's story. Djinn... That isn't a word she's familiar with. She'll have to look it up later. But for now? Just being here and helpful is all she needs to do. When the tale concludes Fortuna can't help but laugh.

"Hehe, I'm sorry, but I'm just glad for you," she giggles. "Usually people who get whisked away to the Nexus are distraught over it. I'm glad it meant something positive for you."

She'll step back a pace or two to give Buhayyah some personal space.

"I suppose the next question is, what are you going to do with your new found freedom? And I don't think you have to worry about being captured again, at least if you stick to the City of Inside. Slaving of any sapient being is illegal there."

Not being able to grab people off the street and sell them is always a plus.

At least it is for the folks that don't like being grabbed.

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 02:46 PM
At first, Buhayyah frowns at Fortuna's chuckling, but upon realising her compassion she smiles, managing a small chuckle of her own. 'This is about the best thing that could have happened to me, really.' As she calms herself, and wipes the last of the tears from her eyes, the glow of her skin slowly dies down.

As for next steps, Buhayyah bites her lip. 'I... I don't know. I always dreamed about what I would do if I were free, but now it's actually happened... I mean, would I need a job here? I don't really have any skills.'

Being a perpetual prisoner/fugitive doesn't leave much time for professional development.

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 03:19 PM
Getting your hearts' desire can be a little jarring sometimes. Once you have it what are you going to do with it?

"Well," Fortuna huffs. "I guess that depends on what you need? There are a number of places around the Nexus that offer temporary housing for castaways."

A beat.

"Umm, that's the term used around here for new people that suddenly poofed in. Anyway, once you have some shelter finding a job isn't hard. The businesses around the Nexus are always looking for help since we have an uncannily high populations of adventurers, assassins, mercenaries, and bounty hunters. So everyone is always looking for someone who can lend some help. Even if they have to learn."

Imagine that.

A place where you can just walk into somewhere and say, 'I want to work here' and not have to worry much about being turned down.

Wouldn't that be great?

Deathkeeper
2014-09-19, 04:10 PM
"I'm glad you're glad." Naku says, before grinning at him again, and hugging him tightly. "Anything you did want to ask or talk about? Since we're talking now already?"

Hugs!
"Well, right now my biggest project will be checking if I can find someone to replace our cook. That'll take some out-of-inn research. If you're ever on a trip and see something let me know, but that's something that really is my job to do myself."
Actually, Ally would probably be a better choice than him. She's probably better with contacts and info, but he can't reasonably ask her to go around talking to lots of people given her circumstances.
"We can talk later, I think we've got another newcomer to help." he says with a warm expression on his vulpine face.

Mist goes over to the faintly-glowing woman, carrying a throw blanket.
"Hello Ms. Buhayyah. Let me be the second to congratulate you. I'm sure you'll manage fine, especially compared to your history. If you need a start, you can take a room for the night on me. We're currently out one cook, but I can warm something up from what Strahd left in the pantry. And I think I can scrounge up something if you'd like some clothes." he says, offering her the blanket.

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 04:55 PM
'So long as I have some shelter, I'll be fine I think. And even without I can make do.'

At the mention of bounty hunters, Buhayyah looks ever-so-slightly nervous, but reminds herself that there are laws in place to protect her here. 'I'd be very willing to learn a trade.'

Then, she looks over at Mist. 'Thank you, sir, but I'll be fine as far as lodging and food is concerned. I don't actually eat or drink or sleep, so...' She smiles. 'Oh, but clothes? I know I don't exactly have anything to conceal, but if it's the social norm, then I understand.'

Seriously, she's like a shop mannequin. Nothing there at all.

There's a pause, after which she pipes up, 'Uhm, maybe I could try... no, no, that's not going to work at all.' She, for a moment, was considering to learn to cook, until she reminded herself that she had no idea what food was meant to taste of. She'd likely be utterly awful at it.

Rebonack
2014-09-19, 05:06 PM
Fortuna offers a kind smile to the djinn before returning to her table and wrinkling her nose at the tea. It got cold, alas. Thankfully she has the tool to fix that. The ambient temperature of the room drops ever so slightly as the tea warms back up. There! Much better! She pours herself another cup and sips it.

"I'm no cook myself," Fortuna admits. "But I can get word out that the Dacning Fox is looking for one."

Fortuna can cook, honestly. It's just like following any other kind of formula. But between her job at the weather factor, her research, and her friends she really doesn't have any time left over for helping out in the Dancing Fox' kitchen. It would probably be fun, and she really does love the little inn, but the time just isn't there...

If only she could be in more than one place at a time...

Shadowcaller
2014-09-19, 07:34 PM
"Hello Geneva, you aren't busy at the moment are you?" Cessie replies. "I don't want to distract you from an experiment as it's not really that important."

Deathkeeper
2014-09-19, 07:45 PM
Yes, because continuity doesn't already cry enough with one Geneva/Fortuna running around, it needs a canon copy so she can break its flow twice as much.
"It's a social norm, but as our friend Fortuna here makes obvious it isn't really required, although a more humanoid shape is usually expected to wear something. You're probably fine. If I can do anything for you, just ask. It's my job." he says with a smile.

Mee
2014-09-19, 07:48 PM
Hugs!
"Well, right now my biggest project will be checking if I can find someone to replace our cook. That'll take some out-of-inn research. If you're ever on a trip and see something let me know, but that's something that really is my job to do myself."
Actually, Ally would probably be a better choice than him. She's probably better with contacts and info, but he can't reasonably ask her to go around talking to lots of people given her circumstances.
"We can talk later, I think we've got another newcomer to help." he says with a warm expression on his vulpine face.

Yay hugs!

"Well, I can cook basic things if need be for at least a little while. I'm no actually trained cook, but I could handle a few things for a bit. But yes, I'll keep an ear out for you.

Later is good, yes. Go be sociable and help them out. Boss." Naku delivers the last bit with a grin. Oh how the tables have turned.

Then after some eavesdropping, she offers: "I can go fetch some of my extra clothing? I have a few pairs."

Baeleck
2014-09-19, 07:59 PM
'I don't want to make people uncomfortable,' Buhayyah says, pulling the towel a little tighter around herself. She'd be drawing plenty of attention anyway - golden, glowing people with horns tended to do that.

As for Naku's offer, she bows her head forward, thankfully. 'Everyone here is very kind... if you have spare things, I would gladly wear them.' Any degree of kindness was unexpected for Buhayyah, and these people were bending over backwards to help her. 'They should probably do up from the front, mind. Fitting something over my head might be a bit tricky.'

Those horns she has aren't exactly small.

Mee
2014-09-19, 08:04 PM
As for Naku's offer, she bows her head forward, thankfully. 'Everyone here is very kind... if you have spare things, I would gladly wear them.' Any degree of kindness was unexpected for Buhayyah, and these people were bending over backwards to help her. 'They should probably do up from the front, mind. Fitting something over my head might be a bit tricky.'

Those horns she has aren't exactly small.

"Of course. I'll go see what I have." Naku replies with a bow of her own, before stepping back, and heading up the stairs to her room. She'll be back at some point with clothing.

Rebonack
2014-09-20, 10:25 AM
Fortuna still doesn't really get the humanoid issues with clothing. But every culture has their own unique taboos, so who is she to judge?

"I'm just taking a little time to relax right now," she replies brightly. "No experiments. At least no formal ones. What did you want to talk to me about?"

Shadowcaller
2014-09-20, 10:35 AM
"I just wanted to discuss a recent discover made in my world. I know you aren't familiar with it but I just wanted someone to discuss it with and I figured you might be interested." Otherwise she might call Riss or Dorota.

Rebonack
2014-09-20, 10:38 AM
Ooooh.

Scientific discoveries!

Those are one of Fortuna's favorite things.

"Really? I can tell you're excited by what you found. I might not have the whole context to understand, but I'll do my best. By all means, what did you discover?"

Shadowcaller
2014-09-20, 03:09 PM
"Actually, I didn't discover it, another group of mages from my world did, but their discovery will aid me a great deal here in the nexus. I'm not sure how much I'd like to divulge over the communicator but basically they have discovered the basic components of the eldritch realm. A form of 'unformed' matter if you will that's yet have been given a kami, a plan of how it should be formed. It's believed to be the smallest type of matter that can be given a kami, uh, plan. But I don't want to make too many assumptions yet, this is all very new even if hypothesis much like these have been hanging around for years this is the first time it have been testable enough to form a real theory." Cessie explains excitedly.

Rebonack
2014-09-20, 03:15 PM
Fortuna's already running a number of different models through her head regarding this odd substance. She has heard of similar concepts in her reading on other forms of magic that have popped up in the Nexus, such as the ectoplasm that can be harvested from the so-called Astral Plane. In fact, that isn't terribly different from how conjuration spells worked back in Equestria, though such material typically wasn't very stable and tended to evaporate back into its proper place after a time.

"Interesting... Well, would you like to meet me at the Dancing Fox Inn?" Fortuna offers. "I'm just relaxing at the moment and I won't be going anywhere for a while. We could discuss the subject in a little more detail."

FireFox
2014-09-20, 08:04 PM
Ashley giggles a bit. "Is that so? What kinds of hats are we talking about?" She actually did get the meaning behind that, or at least she thinks she did.

Wouldn't you like to know. The thief winks coquettishly.

Strahd drops the platter right in front of her. It's probably one of the least pleasant possible ways to give someone a handmade, lovingly made meal. There's coffee, glazed and powdered donuts, and bagels with cream cheese topped by slices of tart pickled watermelon and crispy bacon. A masterpiece of a breakfast.

He wipes his hands on his apron, before pulling it over his head and dropping it on the counter besides the tray. His chef's cap joins it there momentarily. "I'm reshigning ash chef. Shorry for the lack of notice, but I cannot work in thish environment if the co-owner ish a figure of interesht to the mafia. Or when she ish shomeone I have no experienshe working with and no experienshe of her own managing. Pleashe enjoy your breakfasht."

Previously, Mist just gives Ally a pained expression. He can be skipped for a bit.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I guess you're welcome for giving you an excuse. She crosses her arms and looks from Strahd to Mist. You know what I'm talking about? He didn't even give me a chance to show how I manage. I haven't even done anything with the authority he's imagining I can't wield competently. Apparently having bad people want to do bad things to me is cause enough to refuse to give me a chance. One can only imagine how lonely his life would be if he held everyone to that same standard. That's okay though, Mist, we can be offended together. After all, as I am your equal partner, he's refusing to give you a chance too. He is assuming, without any supporting evidence from me, that my bad can't be overcome by your good.

Shadowcaller
2014-09-20, 08:55 PM
"Dancing fox inn? Been ages since I've been in a tavern. Let me just get changed and I'll meet you there then." Cessie replies. She would need to get her enchanted dress!

Said enchanted dress was to cover her pregnancy as for some silly reason, she couldn't show that in public. Cessie was a very silly person in that way. Still, she makes her way to the dancing fox inn but seem to have some difficulty locating Fortuna. Perhaps it's since she doesn't recognize her anymore. She might have to call her on it Fortuna.

Rebonack
2014-09-20, 08:59 PM
Hiding pregnancy really isn't something ponies do, but they don't really talk about it. Doing so is rude because everyone can obviously tell by the scent. Fortuna still thinks that humanoid customs are really weird. But no doubt they feel more or less the same way.

Anywho!

When Cessie arrives Fortuna begins waving at her!

"Over here, Cessie!"

Fortuna won't comment on the scent of pregnancy, either. Especially in public. Because it's rude!

ThirdEmperor
2014-09-20, 09:02 PM
"And now I have sheen eshactly why you're an incompetent." Strahd bristles, and his nostrils flare as he huffs out a breath of indignation. For a moment he actually looks as if he might smack her. "You are acting entirely childish and unprofesshional. I eshpect you'll be running out of friendsh here before I do. Good day, and good luck." And with a nod to Mist, Strahd stomps past the counter and farewell out the door.

Devixer
2014-09-20, 11:38 PM
Ashley giggles again. What was wrong with her this morning? "Of course I would, silly. That's why I'm asking."

Deathkeeper
2014-09-20, 11:43 PM
Mist looks offended alright, but it's not at Strahd. He watches the cook walk out impassively before he turns his head back to Ally.
"Do me a favor and don't ever try to pull that kind of **** with me." says the fox coldly, walking away to go mope and be found later.

Recaiden
2014-09-21, 12:58 AM
The bard's song comes to a slow, lingering end, the last three notes drifting on and on and on.
Man. That Ally is real bad news. Cleo could take lessons on theatric jerkiness. And it's lost the Inn a cook. Which is a shame, not because she ever ate the food (I think Cleo is the chronically hungry character of mine now) but because a good cook made the place simply better, even if you never partook of the food.

That one time he made a salad with tiny animated dinosaur toppings? That was amazing. And now nothing like that will ever happen again.

Baeleck
2014-09-21, 08:55 AM
"Of course. I'll go see what I have." Naku replies with a bow of her own, before stepping back, and heading up the stairs to her room. She'll be back at some point with clothing.
Yay clothes!

The garments in question are taken in hand with much care. Whether they are old and worn or something a bit nicer doesn't matter. 'I've never worn clothes before,' Buhayyah says, in a childlike way.

She finds herself somewhere a little less conspicuous to change. Buhayyah at least knows that people tend to get dressed in private.

Recaiden
2014-09-21, 12:12 PM
Someone comes looking to find the fox.

As one might expect, it's Leah, looking fully solid. She's smiling, attempting marginally well to look confident and poised, and rather dressed up; hair washed and styled in elaborate loops, wearing a sort of suit (http://images.shopmadeinchina.com/AF2A04922EB85932E040007F01004E5C/097/8649097_6/2012-black-shiny100-Womens-Tuxedo-Pant-Suit-6P_8649097_6.bak.jpg) (which she picked because no one at home knew how to tie a necktie properly) and her fanciest sandals, no magical armor, and with only one weapon on her person, a tiny derringer in her coat pocket.
She's also carrying a single azalea flower. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Redazalea.jpg)

Deathkeeper
2014-09-21, 12:57 PM
Mist smiles as he looks up to see the Fey with her fancy suit and presumably still glowing eyes.
"Hiya Leah, what's going on?" he says, feeling a bit brightened by her timing of arrival.

Shadowcaller
2014-09-21, 01:05 PM
Hiding pregnancy really isn't something ponies do, but they don't really talk about it. Doing so is rude because everyone can obviously tell by the scent. Fortuna still thinks that humanoid customs are really weird. But no doubt they feel more or less the same way.

Anywho!

When Cessie arrives Fortuna begins waving at her!

"Over here, Cessie!"

Fortuna won't comment on the scent of pregnancy, either. Especially in public. Because it's rude!

She really need to add an enchantment that covers smell as well. She had been planning to ever since she hanged out with Promise, a wolfen friend of hers. Fortuna's appearance causes her to pause however before she slowly starts to approach the table. "Geneva?" She asks, regarding Fortuna cautiously. The sorceress had never been good at handling unexpected social situations.

Recaiden
2014-09-21, 01:33 PM
Leah does still have glowing eyes, and since it might not go without saying, also has her sunglasses on.

"Mist!"
Offers him the flower.
"I think my magical bad luck is finally over - only knocked down one building the whole week, so it wasn't that bad anyway - so I figured I should come by and see how you were and what you were up to. I hear you're co-owner of this place now? Congratulations!"

Mee
2014-09-21, 01:40 PM
Yay clothes!

The garments in question are taken in hand with much care. Whether they are old and worn or something a bit nicer doesn't matter. 'I've never worn clothes before,' Buhayyah says, in a childlike way.

She finds herself somewhere a little less conspicuous to change. Buhayyah at least knows that people tend to get dressed in private.

The clothing, it turns out, is a very comfortable pair of sweatpants, and an obviously well loved leather jacket. The jacket has more than a few scars along it. Most of them didn't even puncture all the way through! The most common look to be the long narrower cuts of blades, though there are more than a few sets of claw marks. The shoulder even has very large, very canine-looking tooth puncture holes from where some veeeeery large dog-thing tried to take a chunk out of her shoulder.
The jacket is also overly large, and with the way it folds, obviously implies plates of some sort generally reside on the inside to keep various fleshy-bits safe. The plates have been removed, though. Probably what took Naku so long.

"I'd like the jacket back at some point. But it's yours until you can find something better."

Deathkeeper
2014-09-21, 01:52 PM
Mist takes the flower with a sad smile.
"Yeah, I am. Hitting some obstacles though. Glad to hear that you're doing better, though." he says.

Rebonack
2014-09-21, 02:29 PM
"That's me," the draconequus replies. "This crazy metamorphasis that you-know-who's nonsense kicked off finally ran to its conclusion. I'm just glad that it's over with," Fortuna explains. "I can tell it tweaked my personality slightly. I'm a little more spontaneous than I was before, less neurotic. Which is probably a good thing in the long run."

She grins a silly grin.

"You might say I'm better at rolling with strange situations than I was before. I could complain, but this is obviously my lot in life. So now the die is cast and I'm living with the results. Thankfully I'm learning to control my chaos magic, so it isn't a complete crap-shoot."

Oh lordy...

Dice puns...

So many dice puns.

"Come sit down! Do you want some tea? I can ask them to bring another pot."

Shadowcaller
2014-09-21, 04:19 PM
Cessie probably missed a lot of those puns or she'd be falling over dead right now.
She isn't a complete stranger to strange transformations though, it seemed to happen at a daily basis at the nexus. Though she wasn't one that readily accepted them like Fortuna did, but if she didn't mind Cessie couldn't really try to change her mind about it could she? The mental change worried her however, how could one be sure one really was the same if their minds had changed? But putting such worries aside for a moment, the sorceress sits down to address her friend. "Ah, I'll just have some juice, thanks." She says before considering what to say next. "I'm... glad that you're so adaptable. I know that I'm not particularly good at handling changes like that."

Recaiden
2014-09-21, 04:31 PM
Mist takes the flower with a sad smile.
"Yeah, I am. Hitting some obstacles though. Glad to hear that you're doing better, though." he says.

"Thanks. Would you like to talk about the obstacles, or would you rather just forget it for a while?"
Poor Mist. Hopefully it isn't her making him sad.

"Oh, and how do you feel about heights?"

Rebonack
2014-09-21, 04:34 PM
Fortuna gives a little laugh. "If I still had my old mindset I'm sure I would be a nervous wreck right now. But I'm not, so everything is fine. Really though, getting rid of my more nervous qualities was a blessing."

Then a little frown.

"I know what you're probably thinking. Mental changes are bad, that means I'm not strictly the same person I used to be. I..." she takes a deep breath. "I'm not. I'm not the same person I was when we first met. My character sheet has even been updated with a new name. Fortuna the Golden Dice of Wonder. But I'm okay with it. People change all the time. Who we are changes over the course of our lives. My change was just a little more dramatic than usual."

She reaches out to put a reassure paw/claw over Cessie's hand and offer her a kind smile.

"But in spite of all of that, you're still my friend. My goals are still the same. I just have a refreshed outlook on things."

The draconequus gives a nod.

"Right! So then. About this protomatter your colleagues discovered?"

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-21, 06:07 PM
Mrs McGinty's dead. She's lying there, face down on the floor of the Inn, cold and lifeless. Dressed in a stone-coloured woolen skirt and matching cardigan, her plump form and greying curls speak only of aging banality, of a quiet life spent engaged in matters of no great import. Of what caused her death, there is no clue apparent. Nor is there any evidence to be seen of how or why she appeared in this place.

Suddenly, and without warning, Mrs McGinty's eyes snap open. Glancing around the common room, a look of polite curiosity moving across her hitherto leaden features, she picks herself up off the floor, brushes the dust from her clothes, approaches the bar, and unpuckers her narrow lips to speak: "I hear you're in need of a cook..."

Baeleck
2014-09-21, 06:08 PM
The clothing, it turns out, is a very comfortable pair of sweatpants, and an obviously well loved leather jacket. The jacket has more than a few scars along it. Most of them didn't even puncture all the way through! The most common look to be the long narrower cuts of blades, though there are more than a few sets of claw marks. The shoulder even has very large, very canine-looking tooth puncture holes from where some veeeeery large dog-thing tried to take a chunk out of her shoulder.
The jacket is also overly large, and with the way it folds, obviously implies plates of some sort generally reside on the inside to keep various fleshy-bits safe. The plates have been removed, though. Probably what took Naku so long.

"I'd like the jacket back at some point. But it's yours until you can find something better."
'I'll make sure to take good care of it,' Buhayyah promises. Which probably isn't saying much. Another scratch or ten would likely go unnoticed. 'Might I ask your names?' she adds, nodding in Mist's direction. 'It would be helpful to know who to ask for when I come to return these.'

Shadowcaller
2014-09-21, 07:40 PM
Her 'character sheet'? The golden die? It sounded like the title of an object, not a person. Still, Genva or Fortuna didn't seem to worry about it so neither should she right? She takes a deep breath, best to just try to ignore it at the moment. "Right, well it has often believed that the eldritch realm simply was a storage space for energy and matter. That fire, water, earth, coal, granite and so fourth all co-existed together, or perhaps were divided into smaller sub-realms. However, now I'm quite certain that the eldritch realm in fact looks completely featureless and empty. Matter without a plan just waiting for something to shape it. We're just so used to everything having at least some properties recognized by our senses that we can't imagine a place where there is matter with none. All matter in my world has a kami, a form of basic spirit which tells it what it should be. These are the basics of all matter, including human life. We are in fact made up of an endless amount of kami which in turn makes up large and larger kami and so fourth. It's a bit hard to explain, but apart from the smallest kami, they're all concept spirits. When a mage uses their link to the eldritch realm they use their thoughts who in turn are made up of these kami to transport and shape this matter they've chosen to call kuri." Cessie explains.

Rebonack
2014-09-21, 08:37 PM
Fortuna sits and ponders for a time as she assimilates all that information.

Wow...

That is wholly unlike her own home universe.

"So... you basically your magic is drawing unpurposed matter from this eldritch realm and applying a purpose to it in the process of conjuring it?"

That's pretty neat, actually.

And she can see how such a paradigm shift could drastically change the practice of magic.

Mee
2014-09-21, 10:28 PM
'I'll make sure to take good care of it,' Buhayyah promises. Which probably isn't saying much. Another scratch or ten would likely go unnoticed. 'Might I ask your names?' she adds, nodding in Mist's direction. 'It would be helpful to know who to ask for when I come to return these.'

Well, the jacket is obviously very well cared for, and is obviously loved. So more might be noticed.
"I'm Naku. Though finding me shouldn't be too hard; I live and work here.

Now if you'll excuse me a moment."

Mrs McGinty's dead. She's lying there, face down on the floor of the Inn, cold and lifeless. Dressed in a stone-coloured woolen skirt and matching cardigan, her plump form and greying curls speak only of aging banality, of a quiet life spent engaged in matters of no great import. Of what caused her death, there is no clue apparent. Nor is there any evidence to be seen of how or why she appeared in this place.

Suddenly, and without warning, Mrs McGinty's eyes snap open. Glancing around the common room, a look of polite curiosity moving across her hitherto leaden features, she picks herself up off the floor, brushes the dust from her clothes, approaches the bar, and unpuckers her narrow lips to speak: "I hear you're in need of a cook..."

"We are." Naku informs her, walking around to her old spot behind the bar. "Tell me about yourself. How long have you been cooking? What can you cook? Is, and I mean no offense," She says, smiling and showing her very pointy fangs, "is what you cook safe?"

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 09:58 AM
Buhayyah figures Naku wouldn't have given away something so precious, even if she was asking for it back. She nods as Naku heads off to deal with the dead-but-suddenly-not-dead woman. 'Thank you again,' she calls after her.

For the time being, Buhayyah will go take a seat and take some time to properly arrange her thoughts. Come to terms with her new freedom, figure out her next steps, and the like.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 10:11 AM
Down the stairs comes Delta.

At the foot of the stairs, she stops for a moment to look around at everybody here. She was still getting used to all of the unusual sights of the Nexus.

Delta has long red hair, part of which covers the right side of her face. A slight green glow can be seen under her hair there. Her visible eye is blue. She wears boots, jeans, and a t-shirt. Her right arm is not normal. It is metal.

Delta's gaze lingers on Buhayya a bit. She had never seen anybody like Buhayya before. She tilts her head a bit, obvious curiosity on her face. After a moment, she walks over to the djinn.

Um, hi! My name's Delta.

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 10:38 AM
Another friendly someone! Buhayyah glances up from her reverie, nodding to Delta.

'I'm called Buhayyah,' she says, with a faint smile. She draws her arms in a little closer to herself. 'Can I help you?'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 10:50 AM
Delta smiles a bit.

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm still kinda getting used to seeing all of the unique types of people here. So, I figured I'd meet as many as I can.

Mind if I sit and chat with you?

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 11:00 AM
'So you're new here too, yes?' Buhayyah seems to warm a little, and leans around to pull out a seat. 'I suppose it makes sense to meet as many folk as you can. It's nice to meet you, Delta.'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 11:35 AM
Delta nods a bit before sitting down.

Yeah, I haven't been here long. I didn't know you were new here. How long ago did you arrive?

Shadowcaller
2014-09-22, 01:09 PM
Fortuna sits and ponders for a time as she assimilates all that information.

Wow...

That is wholly unlike her own home universe.

"So... you basically your magic is drawing unpurposed matter from this eldritch realm and applying a purpose to it in the process of conjuring it?"

That's pretty neat, actually.

And she can see how such a paradigm shift could drastically change the practice of magic.

Cessie mentally twitches. There was that word again, 'magic'. But if she could suppress her concerns about all the transformations, she could suppress her concerns for that too. "According to the new theory yes. This will have all sort of implications on how things work and are ordered. It will be a great boon to my future research on eldritch. For instance, it might explain why some elementals are harder to summon than others, simply since it's bound by human imagination."

Rebonack
2014-09-22, 01:17 PM
Has Cessie explained the different to Fortuna yet?

Rebo's pretty sure she hasn't. Which means Fortuna is just speaking in ignorance right now.

"It sounds like a really exciting time to be studying magic on your world," she says brightly. "We really don't have any analog for that back home. The closest thing would be gathering proto-matter from the Astral Plane since it can be shaped pretty easily by magic. I don't think we have anything like kami, though."

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-22, 03:01 PM
"We are." Naku informs her, walking around to her old spot behind the bar. "Tell me about yourself. How long have you been cooking? What can you cook? Is, and I mean no offense," She says, smiling and showing her very pointy fangs, "is what you cook safe?"

Mrs McGinty wrinkles her forehead at Naku’s last question. “Is it… safe? Well, I’ve not had many complaints. Well, alright, I’ve had quite a few. But nobody’s ever got sick. I mean, there was the time old Reverend Caulson got a bad of a case of the you-know-whats after eatin’ too much of my mutton vindaloo, but that counts as self-inflicted in my book…”

She pauses for a moment, a hint of a smile playing at the edges of her mouth as she recalls what was, apparently, a highlight of her career.

"…Anyroad, the name’s McGinty – Mrs McGinty to you – and I’ve been cooking since I was a wee lass. I learnt my trade at my mother’s stove, and I’ve made a fair enough living off the back of it, I’ll have you know. I’ve worked in the big country houses, cooking for the great and the good: aristocrats, politicians, famous authors, stars of stage and screen… But also for the humble folk, down at the local pub or the village fete; never get too big for your boots, that’s what I say."

"As for my repertoire..." (her voice takes on a rather more pretentious tone at this point) "...I have recipes to suit every occasion and every taste, with dishes ranging from the comforting and homely to the challengingly exotic. If you would care to examine it, I have here a menu of the various culinary delights with which I might enrapture the taste-buds of even your most choosy of customers..."

From the pocket of her cardigan, Mrs McGinty brings out a folded piece of paper, and offers it across the bar...

Mutton Chops, Mutton Steak, Mutton Burger, Mutton Pie, Mutton Pasties, Mutton Soup, Mutton Broth, Mutton Casserole, Mutton Stew, Mutton Pudding, Steamed Mutton, Roasted Mutton, Baked Mutton, Boiled Mutton, Broiled Mutton, Fried Mutton, Mutton-Fried Mutton, Stir-Fried Mutton, Grilled Mutton, Chargrilled Mutton, Flame-Grilled Mutton, Pulled Mutton, Minced Mutton, Smoked Mutton, Salted Mutton, Mutton Biltong, Mutton Jerky, Jerk Mutton, Mutton Tartare, Mutton Salad, Mutton Noodles, Mutton Risotto, Mutton Pickle, Mutton Pate, Mutton Terrine, Mutton Kebab, Mutton Croquettes, Mutton Dumplings, Confit of Mutton, Muttonballs, Mutton Cachupa, Mutton Hawawshi, Mutton Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Mutton, Mutton Satay, Mutton Korma, Mutton Madras, Mutton Jalfrezi, Mutton Bhuna, Mutton Vindaloo, Chilli con Mutton, Mutton Fajita, Mutton Ravioli, Mutton Souffle, Mutton Sponge, Mutton Tarte, Mutton Eclairs, Mutton with Orange, Mutton with Cherries, Mutton Surprise.

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 03:35 PM
Delta nods a bit before sitting down.

Yeah, I haven't been here long. I didn't know you were new here. How long ago did you arrive?
'About half an hour ago, at a guess. Really not long.' Buhayyah sighs and shakes her head. 'I'm not sure what to make of this place, aside from it being safer that my homeland.'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 03:40 PM
Delta's visible eye blinks in surprise.

Wow. That wasn't long ago at all.

She gives a reassuring smile. Yeah, this place can be kind of overwhelming at first, but everybody here has been really nice so far.

What was your world like?

Deathkeeper
2014-09-22, 03:49 PM
At some point in the middle of all of that, Mist Anders gives his name to the curious djinni.

((also, can you please confirm what exactly your character is, McGinty? Unless your avatar was supposed to be a hint I only know she's a female...thing))

"Thanks. Would you like to talk about the obstacles, or would you rather just forget it for a while?"
Poor Mist. Hopefully it isn't her making him sad.

"Oh, and how do you feel about heights?"

Mist shakes his head. "It's okay, Leah. Our chef just quit. He'll be happy, I'm sure, and we'll manage. That's what's important. Well, he'll be as happy as someone like him can really be, that old grump.
I've never really dealt with heights before. What did you have in mind?"

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-22, 04:15 PM
((also, can you please confirm what exactly your character is, McGinty? Unless your avatar was supposed to be a hint I only know she's a female...thing))

(OOC: Sorry, I'm new to this. She's a human woman in late middle-age, grey-haired, plump and dowdily dressed, with a British accent of uncertain origin. Aside from having recently suffered a mild case of death (the effects of which seem to have worn off now), she appears entirely unremarkable.)

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 04:20 PM
'For most people, rich and prosperous. I, however, was either a captive or a fugitive, depending on the situation.'

Another sigh.

'I've already explained to one of the other people here about my world. The long and short of it is that my people are oppressed and mistreated because of what we are, and what we can do.'

From her tone, it would be safe to assume that Buhayyah doesn't want to delve too far into the details.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 04:32 PM
Delta picks up on Buhayya's reluctance to discuss her past. The cyborg will go to put her left hand on the djinn's shoulder. Which is the normal hand.

I kinda know how you feel. I'm a fugitive myself. I'm also a military project.

Delta reaches up and pulls her bangs aside, exposing the right side of her face. From the cheek bone up to her forehead, and from the side of her nose to back past her ear, Delta has metal instead of skin. Her right eye looks kind of like a camera lens, and has a slight glow to it. The metal continues down the right side of her neck and beneath her shirt.

This was done to me over a year ago. Most of my right side is mechanical.

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 04:45 PM
At first, Buhayyah shrinks away from the reassuring hand, but a little bit of solidarity goes a long way. Delta is allowed to place her hand on her.

'Sounds like you've escaped to a better world, too,' Buhayyah says, relaxing now. 'I noticed there was something different to you than a normal human, but given how strange this place seems...' She shrugs. 'I figured it could be perfectly normal for you.'

Buhayyah takes a little time to inspect Delta. Technology wasn't a big thing in her homeplace.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 05:06 PM
Delta smirks a little and shakes her head.

No, this is definitely not normal. Even in my world, I'm pretty unique. There are people with mechanical parts, but they aren't as extensive as mine.

The thing I hate most is that all of my memories from before they worked on my head are gone. Or blocked. I don't even remember my real name. Delta was the name they gave for the group of cyborgs made at the same time as me.

Delta pulls up her right sleeve to expose her shoulder. Stamped into the metal there is a triangle followed by the number 88.

That's the serial number they gave me. Delta 88. When I escaped, I just decided to keep being called by Delta because I didn't know any other name for myself.

Baeleck
2014-09-22, 07:19 PM
'It's possibly for the best that you can't remember. I know there's plenty from my past that I'd rather forget.' That's over two centuries of personal history, there. Buhayyah frowns. 'It must be frustrating not knowing, though.'

The serial number is also inspected in some detail. 'Delta's a fine name,' she comments. 'People find it hard to pronounce mine.'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-22, 08:07 PM
Delta shrugs a bit. Yeah, I know I might not like what I find. But I still want to know. I mean...I don't even remember my parents.

Then she smiles a bit. Thanks. It's just a letter from the alphabet of an old language back home, but I still like it.

I can see how people would have trouble saying Buhayya correctly, but I still like it. Delta actually pronounced it exactly the way Buhayya herself did.

Mee
2014-09-22, 09:38 PM
Mrs McGinty wrinkles her forehead at Naku’s last question. “Is it… safe? Well, I’ve not had many complaints. Well, alright, I’ve had quite a few. But nobody’s ever got sick. I mean, there was the time old Reverend Caulson got a bad of a case of the you-know-whats after eatin’ too much of my mutton vindaloo, but that counts as self-inflicted in my book…”

She pauses for a moment, a hint of a smile playing at the edges of her mouth as she recalls what was, apparently, a highlight of her career.

"…Anyroad, the name’s McGinty – Mrs McGinty to you – and I’ve been cooking since I was a wee lass. I learnt my trade at my mother’s stove, and I’ve made a fair enough living off the back of it, I’ll have you know. I’ve worked in the big country houses, cooking for the great and the good: aristocrats, politicians, famous authors, stars of stage and screen… But also for the humble folk, down at the local pub or the village fete; never get too big for your boots, that’s what I say."

"As for my repertoire..." (her voice takes on a rather more pretentious tone at this point) "...I have recipes to suit every occasion and every taste, with dishes ranging from the comforting and homely to the challengingly exotic. If you would care to examine it, I have here a menu of the various culinary delights with which I might enrapture the taste-buds of even your most choosy of customers..."

From the pocket of her cardigan, Mrs McGinty brings out a folded piece of paper, and offers it across the bar...

Mutton Chops, Mutton Steak, Mutton Burger, Mutton Pie, Mutton Pasties, Mutton Soup, Mutton Broth, Mutton Casserole, Mutton Stew, Mutton Pudding, Steamed Mutton, Roasted Mutton, Baked Mutton, Boiled Mutton, Broiled Mutton, Fried Mutton, Mutton-Fried Mutton, Stir-Fried Mutton, Grilled Mutton, Chargrilled Mutton, Flame-Grilled Mutton, Pulled Mutton, Minced Mutton, Smoked Mutton, Salted Mutton, Mutton Biltong, Mutton Jerky, Jerk Mutton, Mutton Tartare, Mutton Salad, Mutton Noodles, Mutton Risotto, Mutton Pickle, Mutton Pate, Mutton Terrine, Mutton Kebab, Mutton Croquettes, Mutton Dumplings, Confit of Mutton, Muttonballs, Mutton Cachupa, Mutton Hawawshi, Mutton Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Mutton, Mutton Satay, Mutton Korma, Mutton Madras, Mutton Jalfrezi, Mutton Bhuna, Mutton Vindaloo, Chilli con Mutton, Mutton Fajita, Mutton Ravioli, Mutton Souffle, Mutton Sponge, Mutton Tarte, Mutton Eclairs, Mutton with Orange, Mutton with Cherries, Mutton Surprise.

"Holy crap an actual menu." Naku mutters under her breath when she's handed the piece of paper.
"Why is it all Mutton, though?" Naku asks politely. "Your qualifications seem good, though. Your thoughts, Boss?" She aims the last at Mist.

Recaiden
2014-09-22, 09:51 PM
Mist shakes his head. "It's okay, Leah. Our chef just quit. He'll be happy, I'm sure, and we'll manage. That's what's important. Well, he'll be as happy as someone like him can really be, that old grump.
I've never really dealt with heights before. What did you have in mind?"

"Hope he is, yes."
Chef. How funny. She'd never spoken to him. Not that there was a reason to. No, there was, once. He offered to make ghost food, mistaking her for someone who was properly undead. He had seemed nice.
"Well, going flying should be fun then. The nexus is very different from the air."

Deathkeeper
2014-09-22, 09:57 PM
Yes she has, there was a scene about Strahd offering to try making some ghost-edible food for Leah, but it kind of went nowhere...
"Oh, um, flying? Flying uh, how?" says Mist, unsure of what Leah has in mind?

Mist gives a sidelong glance to Naku and the woman, and her menu!
"Credentials seem alright, but we get a decent number of vegetarians here. Can you make anything that isn't from the same basic dish?" he says.

Recaiden
2014-09-22, 11:47 PM
"Oh, I do remember him! Poor guy."
Leah laughs softly.
"On flying animals, silly. Like horseback-riding, but up in the sky. It's fun. Then, well, I'd go out to the Hunting Grounds, but if you'd like something less frightening perhaps a film or a museum."

Mist is rarely outside the DFI, from what she understands. Everyone she asked about how to conduct dates had unhelpful answers.

'Well I really don't know any more than you, Leah.'
'You should go tomb-robbing together; always worked for me'
'Courtship is an inefficient practice. You should let me arrange a more beneficial relationship for you.'
'Ssssssissshssssss'

Deathkeeper
2014-09-23, 12:39 AM
Mist gives her an interested look.
"Oh, what kind of animals? I'm not super good at riding, so it might be kind dangerous for me, since falling would be...bad. If you think it's safe I'd try it. I'm only really good at throwing knives, honestly. I guess I'm an okay shot if you gave me a gun. I don't know if I'd do very well hunting one of those giant things in the Grounds." he says.

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-23, 01:58 AM
"Holy crap an actual menu." Naku mutters under her breath when she's handed the piece of paper.
"Why is it all Mutton, though?" Naku asks politely. "Your qualifications seem good, though. Your thoughts, Boss?" She aims the last at Mist.

Mist gives a sidelong glance to Naku and the woman, and her menu!
"Credentials seem alright, but we get a decent number of vegetarians here. Can you make anything that isn't from the same basic dish?" he says.

Mrs McGinty looks puzzled, as if the concept of a mutton-less meal has never occurred to her before.

After a moment spent deep in thought, an idea pops into her head. She smiles warmly at Naku and Mist, and says with a chuckle: "Silly dears... You didn't look at the other side of the menu..."

On the reverse of the piece of paper, another list has appeared, which definitely was not there a moment ago:

Turnip Chops, Turnip Steak, Turnip Burger, Turnip Pie, Turnip Pasties, Turnip Soup, Turnip Broth, Turnip Casserole, Turnip Stew, Turnip Pudding, Steamed Turnip, Roasted Turnip, Baked Turnip, Boiled Turnip, Broiled Turnip, Fried Turnip, Turnip-Fried Turnip, Stir-Fried Turnip, Grilled Turnip, Chargrilled Turnip, Flame-Grilled Turnip, Pulled Turnip, Minced Turnip, Smoked Turnip, Salted Turnip, Turnip Biltong, Turnip Jerky, Jerk Turnip, Turnip Tartare, Turnip Salad, Turnip Noodles, Turnip Risotto, Turnip Pickle, Turnip Pate, Turnip Terrine, Turnip Kebab, Turnip Croquettes, Turnip Dumplings, Confit of Turnip, Turnipballs, Turnip Cachupa, Turnip Hawawshi, Turnip Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Turnip, Turnip Satay, Turnip Korma, Turnip Madras, Turnip Jalfrezi, Turnip Bhuna, Turnip Vindaloo, Chilli con Turnip, Turnip Fajita, Turnip Ravioli, Turnip Souffle, Turnip Sponge, Turnip Tarte, Turnip Eclairs, Turnip with Orange, Turnip with Cherries, Turnip Surprise.

Baeleck
2014-09-23, 05:00 AM
Delta shrugs a bit. Yeah, I know I might not like what I find. But I still want to know. I mean...I don't even remember my parents.

Then she smiles a bit. Thanks. It's just a letter from the alphabet of an old language back home, but I still like it.

I can see how people would have trouble saying Buhayya correctly, but I still like it. Delta actually pronounced it exactly the way Buhayya herself did.
Ah, parents. Now there's an alien term to Buhayyah. As a genderless creature born of magical energies, the word is known but not comprehended. Her limited knowledge is garnered from the small interactions she's had with members of the other races, in those fleeting periods of escape.

'Sorry, um... I don't really understand what parents are,' she admits. 'I get that they're elders who assist in one's upbringing, but I have a feeling there's more to them than that.'

The pronunciation of her name is met with a pleased smile.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-23, 08:18 AM
Delta nods a bit. Oh yeah, definitely more to it then that. They're also usually the people that created you in the first place.

I take it your...um...species? Is that the right term here? I guess your species doesn't reproduce the same way as humans?

Baeleck
2014-09-23, 09:34 AM
'No, species is the right term... but reproduce is the wrong term. We continue lineage.' Buhayyah pauses, then explains. 'When one of us dies, a new djinn is formed from the residual magical energy. We're so old, and our origins so obscure, nobody knows how or why it is that way.'

So they're kinda like phoenixes, that way.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-23, 09:40 AM
Delta tilts her head a bit. Huh. That's kinda interesting, actually.

So, do you have somebody that raises you and teaches you stuff? Or is the knowledge just passed on automatically? Or is it more like instincts?

Delta's thirst for knowledge is showing.

Baeleck
2014-09-23, 11:02 AM
'We certainly don't get caught. And there's knowledge... just, no memory.' The amnesiac experience is probably quite familiar to Delta. 'I don't know how much I would say instinct has a part in it, purely because we're not an instinctive species. We don't have the same base desires as other people - we don't eat, sleep, breed...'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-23, 01:13 PM
Delta shows a bit of confusion on her face. Caught? What do you mean by that? Delta didn't remember mentioning being caught at all.

Shadowcaller
2014-09-23, 02:52 PM
Has Cessie explained the different to Fortuna yet?

Rebo's pretty sure she hasn't. Which means Fortuna is just speaking in ignorance right now.

"It sounds like a really exciting time to be studying magic on your world," she says brightly. "We really don't have any analog for that back home. The closest thing would be gathering proto-matter from the Astral Plane since it can be shaped pretty easily by magic. I don't think we have anything like kami, though."

She is used to people using the word 'magic' to describe anything "supernatural" and she doesn't consider eldritch to be supernatural. "The differences between the world is indeed curious. Makes me wonder how we all can co-exist here so easily. But with luck I'm guessing you will find that out soon." She says with a smile. "If you haven't already of course, but I have heard all manner of theories on the subject and it does seem to be hard to prove anything conclusively." That's most likely the nexus trolling any scientist trying to find out too much about it.

Baeleck
2014-09-23, 05:49 PM
Due to an oversight on her player's part, Buhayyah similarly looks a bit confused. 'Did I say caught? I meant taught. Yes, taught.' If she was capable of blushing, she would be.

((Serves me right for relying too much on auto-correct :smalltongue:))

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-23, 06:07 PM
((Curse you autocorrect!))

Delta chuckles a bit. That's okay. It happens.

It sounds more like instinct than anything else. Just because you don't have the same instincts as humans doesn't mean you don't have instincts.

Baeleck
2014-09-23, 08:02 PM
'That's true enough, I suppose. Running is definitely instinct for us, even when escape isn't really possible. We're quite cognitive otherwise. Plenty of time on our hands to think things over. Process things logically.'

Buhayyah had gotten quite upset earlier, it was true. Now, however, she was remarkably calm.

'So, um... to what extent are you different from the rest of the people in your world?' Buhayyah figures she should ask some questions too - give Delta some proper time to speak about herself.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-23, 09:13 PM
Delta gestures towards her mechanical arm. Most people don't have any kind of mechanical parts on them at all. There are a good number of people that do, but the majority don't.

What makes me more unique is how much mechanical stuff I have. She uses her right hand to tap her right leg, and then the right side of her torso. Both taps produce a distinct, metallic sound.

Most of the people that have mechanical stuff just have it on their limbs. Hands, feet, legs, arms. A fewer number have some kind of mechanical thing inside of them. Mostly stuff to help failing organs. And a few had work done on their brain. Those people were pretty much all military experiments.

With the "Delta Phase", they wanted to combine all of it and get it to work. Which, they did.

Baeleck
2014-09-24, 10:55 AM
'I'm assuming the more augmentations they attempt, the more dangerous it becomes?' Buhayyah shifts a little under her jacket, seeming uncomfortable with the thought of experimentation on such as scale. 'It's interesting it's just one side of you... do you think they were aiming for a full-body transformation, eventually?'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-24, 11:20 AM
Delta nods a bit. Yeah, more dangerous for the person getting the mechanical stuff, and more difficult for the people doing it.

As far as I know, their final goal was to replace most of my body with the cybernetic stuff. They stopped at this point so they could do testing and make sure everything was working out.

Baeleck
2014-09-24, 11:23 AM
'How did you escape? And did any of the other subjects make it out with you?' Buhayyah assumes not, given Delta was alone.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-24, 01:11 PM
Delta shrugs a bit. There was some kind of explosion at the facility. It took out most of the security systems. A bunch of people escaped, but I haven't seen any of them since. The chances of them ending up here are pretty low.

Recaiden
2014-09-24, 03:52 PM
Mist gives her an interested look.
"Oh, what kind of animals? I'm not super good at riding, so it might be kind dangerous for me, since falling would be...bad. If you think it's safe I'd try it. I'm only really good at throwing knives, honestly. I guess I'm an okay shot if you gave me a gun. I don't know if I'd do very well hunting one of those giant things in the Grounds." he says.

"Pterosaurs! The bigger ones, I don't remember for sure if these are like the quetzalcoatlus or that other one, but its not terribly important."
Leah smiles and gives a quick nod.

"I think it'd be safe enough. I mean, you wear a parachute in case of a high fall, and the ordinary safety gear should protect you from a short fall. And that's if I somehow don't catch you. But either way I haven't seen anyone fall yet."

True, she has a very small sample size, but it only has to sound encouraging.

"As for giant things, well, you hear about them more, but the majority of things there aren't gigantic behemoths."

Mostly you get accosted by other hunters. Occasionally a moderately large reptile. And once in a great while, there's a big exciting monster.

Baeleck
2014-09-24, 04:11 PM
'What do you figure you're going to do, now that you're here?' Buhayyah says, her expression contemplative. 'I know it's the question I've been asking myself over and over since I arrived. Any ideas?'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-24, 05:18 PM
Delta shrugs again.

I'm not entirely sure. I mean, I know I need to find a job and a place to live first. But beyond that? No idea.

Which is kinda exciting.

Deathkeeper
2014-09-24, 05:34 PM
Mist quirks his head a bit.
"I guess that sounds safe enough. But where the heck did you get pterosaurs?" he asks, completely bewildered.

---
((Just gonna go since this one is kinda Mist's call))
Mist frowns at the menu's reverse side.
"Well, it's still kind of specific. If someone doesn't like mutton or turnips they're basically shut out. Here, could you give us an application and I could talk it over with my fellow co-owner? I shouldn't make hiring decisions without her input." he says.

Baeleck
2014-09-24, 08:29 PM
'Well, I've a little proposition for you Delta.' Buhayyah smiles demurely. 'I figure while we're in a similar sort of situation, it would make sense to stick together - at least until we're found our way in this world. I've been told it's not hard to find a profession in this city, at least.'

Being very much used to being alone, the idea of friendship isn't a natural progression for Buhayyah to make. From her tone, it sounds more as though she's offering some variety of informal business deal.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-24, 08:37 PM
Delta smiles and nods. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You'll be the second friend I've made so far. The first one seems to have gone into a maybe-permanent deadtime.

Mee
2014-09-24, 08:59 PM
Mrs McGinty looks puzzled, as if the concept of a mutton-less meal has never occurred to her before.

After a moment spent deep in thought, an idea pops into her head. She smiles warmly at Naku and Mist, and says with a chuckle: "Silly dears... You didn't look at the other side of the menu..."

On the reverse of the piece of paper, another list has appeared, which definitely was not there a moment ago:

Turnip Chops, Turnip Steak, Turnip Burger, Turnip Pie, Turnip Pasties, Turnip Soup, Turnip Broth, Turnip Casserole, Turnip Stew, Turnip Pudding, Steamed Turnip, Roasted Turnip, Baked Turnip, Boiled Turnip, Broiled Turnip, Fried Turnip, Turnip-Fried Turnip, Stir-Fried Turnip, Grilled Turnip, Chargrilled Turnip, Flame-Grilled Turnip, Pulled Turnip, Minced Turnip, Smoked Turnip, Salted Turnip, Turnip Biltong, Turnip Jerky, Jerk Turnip, Turnip Tartare, Turnip Salad, Turnip Noodles, Turnip Risotto, Turnip Pickle, Turnip Pate, Turnip Terrine, Turnip Kebab, Turnip Croquettes, Turnip Dumplings, Confit of Turnip, Turnipballs, Turnip Cachupa, Turnip Hawawshi, Turnip Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Turnip, Turnip Satay, Turnip Korma, Turnip Madras, Turnip Jalfrezi, Turnip Bhuna, Turnip Vindaloo, Chilli con Turnip, Turnip Fajita, Turnip Ravioli, Turnip Souffle, Turnip Sponge, Turnip Tarte, Turnip Eclairs, Turnip with Orange, Turnip with Cherries, Turnip Surprise.

((Just gonna go since this one is kinda Mist's call))
"Well, it's still kind of specific. If someone doesn't like mutton or turnips they're basically shut out. Here, could you give us an application and I could talk it over with my fellow co-owner? I shouldn't make hiring decisions without her input." he says.

((It is. Sorry it took me a while to reply.))

Naku hands back the paper, so Mrs McGinty could hand it to Mist, or change it again, or whatever she wanted to do with it. Then she just kinda stands there behind the bar, not sure exactly what to do.

Recaiden
2014-09-24, 09:46 PM
Mist quirks his head a bit.
"I guess that sounds safe enough. But where the heck did you get pterosaurs?" he asks, completely bewildered.

Leah waffles.
"Museums. Living ones are super hard to find, actually. Uh, that might sound bad; it isn't, I'm pretty sure. Uh, you'll see. And I gave the originals back right away."

Deathkeeper
2014-09-24, 10:00 PM
I'm not entirely sure what waffle means in the context of a conversation.
"Well, okay then. Did you have a day in mind?" he asks simply.

Recaiden
2014-09-25, 12:13 AM
It means to start and fail to complete many thoughts.

"The first day of this next weekend?"
Fewer people die in the Nexus on weekends, for narrative reasons, makes lots less work.

It's a silly question anyway. Mist is the one with obligations. Leah is the one who has to hunt her own food (like a snake) but has basically no other material needs or obligations, since she doesn't have a job so much as volunteer at things no one asked for help with.

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-25, 02:11 AM

Mrs McGinty continues to beam a warm smile at Mist. "If a customer wants something that's not on my menu, I can always do requests..." Apparently from nowhere (since she has no room about her person to carry such a thing), she pulls out an enormous cookbook and thumps it down on the bar. "If it can be cooked, then it's in 'Old Gutwrangler'. And if it's in 'Old Gutwrangler', then I can cook it."

It seems that every ingredient, dish or cooking technique, real or imagined, can be found listed in this book. Whilst the Encyclopedia is a large and weighty tome - roughly the size of a microwave oven, and twice as heavy - it's clear that there is nowhere near enough space for all the information it must contain. Nevertheless, anytime you search for an entry - even one relating to something that hasn't yet been invented - you will find exactly what you're looking for.

"With regards to the application you mention, is there a form I should fill in? If not, could you give me some idea of the details you wish me to include?"

Baeleck
2014-09-25, 09:39 AM
Delta smiles and nods. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You'll be the second friend I've made so far. The first one seems to have gone into a maybe-permanent deadtime.

'I'm guessing there must be a market district or similar about - it could be good to look there?' Buhayyah suggests. 'If you wanted to eat or rest first, that's fine. I'm in no rush.'

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-25, 09:59 AM
Delta shakes her head a bit. No, I'm good to go. I don't need to eat or sleep much.

I know where there's a big mall in this city. We could check that out. Delta will stand up and wait for Buhayya to rise as well.

Baeleck
2014-09-25, 10:24 AM
Buhayyah is quickly on her feet. When she's standing, it's more noticeable how different her build is from a human's. Her limbs are definitely more elongated and slimmer than one would expect.

'Lead on, Delta,' she says, gesturing towards the door.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-09-25, 10:47 AM
Delta notices, but doesn't comment. That might come off as rude.

Instead, Delta gives a smile and a nod before heading for the door. She'll be leading Buhayya to Mallside.

Deathkeeper
2014-09-25, 10:57 AM
Mist is not surprised by the appearance of the book. That kind of thing is pretty standard. He does slip through a page or two, and smiles. It's a Duane-style Wizard Manual for cooking!
"We don't have formal application forms, mostly because I just decided we should do applications this morning. How about just your basic personal information, contact info, skills, and job experience? Maybe any needs you have? That should be enough. If you have nowhere to stay in the meantime I can offer you a room while I discuss it with Ally."

---
Something tells me that snakes don't have many of the emotions Leah feeds on.
"Next Saturday it is." says Mist with a smile.

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-25, 11:15 AM
Mist is not surprised by the appearance of the book. That kind of thing is pretty standard. He does slip through a page or two, and smiles. It's a Duane-style Wizard Manual for cooking!
"We don't have formal application forms, mostly because I just decided we should do applications this morning. How about just your basic personal information, contact info, skills, and job experience? Maybe any needs you have? That should be enough. If you have nowhere to stay in the meantime I can offer you a room while I discuss it with Ally."

Mrs McGinty looks very pleased. "Oh, a room would be lovely, thank you deary. And I'll get that application written for you right away."

With this, she pulls out a large mechanical typewriter, places a sheet of paper into it, and begins typing slowly - but rather violently - with one finger. With her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth in concentration, Mrs McGinty carries on like this for some time, pausing only occasionally to utter a loud profanity, pull the current sheet of paper from the machine, crush it into a ball, and replace it with a new one.

Rebonack
2014-09-25, 11:55 AM
She is used to people using the word 'magic' to describe anything "supernatural" and she doesn't consider eldritch to be supernatural. "The differences between the world is indeed curious. Makes me wonder how we all can co-exist here so easily. But with luck I'm guessing you will find that out soon." She says with a smile. "If you haven't already of course, but I have heard all manner of theories on the subject and it does seem to be hard to prove anything conclusively." That's most likely the nexus trolling any scientist trying to find out too much about it.

The Nexus loves to troll scientists.

It's probably one of its many aggravating hobbies.

"I have a friend who has been researching that subject heavily," Fortuna replies excitedly. "She's discovered that the Nexus' translation effect covers a vast array of things, far beyond language. It translates physics and even various systems of 'magic'-"

She even does the little talon quotes there.

"-into effects that are comprehensible to the cosmology of the person experiencing it. It's incredibly fascinating. And not to mention versatile. he only place it doesn't seem to function is in the Everfree Park Inside. Which is... well... a death trap for obvious reasons."

Stumbling into an area where the physics are different from your own can be instantly lethal.

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-25, 12:28 PM
Mrs McGinty looks up from her typewriter and says loudly to the room: “Does anybody know how to spell the word ‘decapitation’? I’m not sure if it’s one ‘p’ or two…”

A moment later, before anyone has time to answer, she adds “…actually, don’t worry about it; probably best I don't mention that part anyway...”, and then returns to her endeavors.

((Edit: I'll be preoccupied with RL for a couple of days now, during which time Mrs McGinty will continue very slowly to compose her job application.))

Deathkeeper
2014-09-27, 12:40 AM
Mist raises an eyebrow.
"Uh, you could just hand-write it if it'd be easier for you..." he suggests.

Mee
2014-09-27, 02:49 PM
Mist raises an eyebrow.
"Uh, you could just hand-write it if it'd be easier for you..." he suggests.

"So!" Naku says, turning to Mist and clapping her hands together quietly. "Anything for me to do? Have you thought about furniture rearrangements?"

Mrs McGinty
2014-09-29, 01:44 PM
By the time Mrs McGinty has finally finished typing, her hair and clothes have acquired a rather bedraggled look, her face and posture are showing clear signs of exhaustion, and her index finger has swelled to twice its normal size, going purple in the process. Nevertheless, it is with a triumphant grin that she pulls the completed application from the typewriter, smacks it down on the bar in front of Mist, and says: "Now I think I deserve a drink. Sherry please. Just give me the bottle. And a pint mug."

Application for the position of Cook at The Dancing Fox Inn

I would like this job because I think it would suit me because I like cooking for all sorts of people and non-people too because I find it interesting to see what they like to eat and how they eat because it's not always the same as the people I've cooked for before because they were different people and they were all people and none of them were non-people well except for my cats because they aren't really people I suppose and they do eat quite differently as well. I promise I will do the job really really well and I will work really really hard and I will be really really polite and I won't steal and I won't sleep on the job and I won't start any drunken brawls and I won't accidentally burn the place down (or deliberately).

Personal Details
Surname: McGinty
Forename: Mrs
Place of Birth: Broadhinny, Kilchestershire, England
Date of Birth: None of your business!
Date of Death: Various

Qualifications
O-Level in Home Economics (Broadhinny School for Girls)
D-Phil in Metametametaphysics (Oxon)
Bronze Swimming Certificate (Kilchester Municipal Swimming Baths)

Skills
Cooking
Cleaning
Motorcycle Maintenance
Archery
Touch Typing

Experience
Kitchen Maid at Broadhinny House, Broadhinny, Kilchestershire
Commis Chef at the Golden Truffle, Kilchester, Kilchestershire
Sous Chef at the Golden Truffle, Kilchester, Kilchestershire
Head Cook at Weston Manor, Weston-on-the-Lam, Berglohampcestershire

Personal Interests
Gambling on the Horses
Sherry Drinking
Mexican Daytime Soap Operas
Transcendental Meditation
Crossword Puzzles

Contact Info
Just yell. I’m only sitting over here.

Deathkeeper
2014-09-30, 08:20 PM
Mist looks up at Naku.
"I have, but nothing specific in mind. Did you have any ideas?" he asks her
---
Mist takes the form, placing it delicately in a folder under the bar.
"Coming right up. "he says before fetching her the items. "anything else? that finger doesn't look too good."

Recaiden
2014-09-30, 09:07 PM
It may at some point be an appointed time on a Saturday. Leah is not early, nor on time. Eventually it is clear that she will not arrive at all.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-01, 11:47 AM
Mist takes the form, placing it delicately in a folder under the bar.
"Coming right up. "he says before fetching her the items. "anything else? that finger doesn't look too good."

"Nothing a little nip of sherry won't fix.." replies Mrs McGinty, filling the mug almost to the brim.

A few big glugs later, with the mug now half empty, she casts her eye around the Inn, before addressing Mist in a respectful tone: "So, boss, how did you come to end up running this fine establishment?"

Holy-hunter
2014-10-01, 01:33 PM
A soft blue light flashes at the tavern door. The light blue glow grows around the door handle as a translucent arm passes through the wooden structure following the motions one might if they had actually opened the door.
A second latter a young boy completely formed of this semi transparent, incorporeal flesh walks into the bar, side stepping an invisible closing door.

The boys features are hard to read as the light creating his form wisps around like waves of smoke, however his eyes remain clear, and above his light hearted step, friendly smile or inquisitive glances (that fall on empty chairs) behind his eyes is a deep sorrow and confusion.

He stands at the door in an eerie utter silence, looking around, basking in his own soft inward hazy blue glow.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-01, 05:18 PM
Mist sighs, laying an elbow on the counter and his head on that hand.
"I was a waiter here for a year and a half, and then the boss wanted out, so I got co-ownership. Simple as that."
He's still not totally happy with it. He still thinks he enjoyed his days of less-responsibility more.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-02, 01:48 PM
Mist sighs, laying an elbow on the counter and his head on that hand.
"I was a waiter here for a year and a half, and then the boss wanted out, so I got co-ownership. Simple as that."
He's still not totally happy with it. He still thinks he enjoyed his days of less-responsibility more.

"Hard work, is it?" asks Mrs McGinty. "Customers give you a lot of trouble? Seems like a calm enough place now, but you must get some rowdy sorts show up from time to time." Glancing over at Naku - and remembering the Barmaid's smile earlier on - she adds "Though I'm guessing there's not much the pair of you can't handle, if it comes to a scrap..."

Shadowcaller
2014-10-03, 11:58 AM
The Nexus loves to troll scientists.

It's probably one of its many aggravating hobbies.

"I have a friend who has been researching that subject heavily," Fortuna replies excitedly. "She's discovered that the Nexus' translation effect covers a vast array of things, far beyond language. It translates physics and even various systems of 'magic'-"

She even does the little talon quotes there.

"-into effects that are comprehensible to the cosmology of the person experiencing it. It's incredibly fascinating. And not to mention versatile. he only place it doesn't seem to function is in the Everfree Park Inside. Which is... well... a death trap for obvious reasons."

Stumbling into an area where the physics are different from your own can be instantly lethal.

Quite, funny how internal planes like the elemental or the eldritch and deep planes (think far realms) in Cessie case are just that, while completely different ones such as the nexus are perfectly inhabitable. "Really? I have heard rumors that the parks in Inside are supposed to be dangerous but I never imagined that dangerous. Is there some sort of nexus anomaly within the area? Or has something created it?"

Deathkeeper
2014-10-03, 07:07 PM
Mist shakes his head.
"No scraps here. It simply can't happen. It makes managing the place a bit easier." he says with a smile.

Rebonack
2014-10-03, 07:13 PM
"I haven't had very good experiences with parks," Fortuna admits. "The last time I was in one, some crazy 'agents' tried to assassinate me. I'm not even sure who they're working for."

Considering that plot started the same day Fortuna came to the Inn and thus hasn't been resolved yet in this continuity.

See!

Rebo can keep track of this stuff!

"And I have no idea what's up with Everfree Park. The best explanation that I've heard is that it's just some kind of hole in the Nexus' translational effect."

Which is, as stated, absurdly lethal.

People don't really go there.

Probably because they don't like dying horribly.

Mee
2014-10-03, 09:58 PM
Mist looks up at Naku.
"I have, but nothing specific in mind. Did you have any ideas?" he asks her

"Well. Could always change things around upstairs in the rooms. Add furniture. Or down here, could move things around. Put the musical stuff in a different corner. I dunno for sure."

A soft blue light flashes at the tavern door. The light blue glow grows around the door handle as a translucent arm passes through the wooden structure following the motions one might if they had actually opened the door.
A second latter a young boy completely formed of this semi transparent, incorporeal flesh walks into the bar, side stepping an invisible closing door.

The boys features are hard to read as the light creating his form wisps around like waves of smoke, however his eyes remain clear, and above his light hearted step, friendly smile or inquisitive glances (that fall on empty chairs) behind his eyes is a deep sorrow and confusion.

He stands at the door in an eerie utter silence, looking around, basking in his own soft inward hazy blue glow.

"Good evening!" Naku says to the young boy. "Welcome to the DFI. I'm Naku." She introduces herself, smiling at him. "What can I do for you?"

Holy-hunter
2014-10-04, 12:18 AM
The boy looks up and smiles at Naku, greets him with a small nod and then seemingly begins talking as he looks around.
Only, no sound escapes his moving lips. He carries on briefly glancing at Naku while looking around waving his arms around to go with the story, completely oblivious, he doesn't seem to realise as he he stops and patiently looks to Naku waiting for a response.

Recaiden
2014-10-04, 02:33 PM
Someone else enters the Inn. It's Leah, only several days late!
Although recognizable as the same person, she looks very different.

She's wearing different sunglasses. :smallcool:
And she's moving in that light, unconstrained way that one does on the moon or other places with low gravity.
Her right arm is gone, replaced with a mechanical prosthesis. Her skin is dark, the featureless matte of her living shadow constructs, and there's not a strand of hair on her head. Her dress doesn't quite fit, like she's changed shape minutely since last wearing it. She seems to have some sort of wings, made of steel and wire and shininess, folded behind her, and looks very cautious and uncertain.

She smiles at the glowing boy and heads up to the bar, seeing who's here currently.

Mee
2014-10-04, 02:47 PM
The boy looks up and smiles at Naku, greets him with a small nod and then seemingly begins talking as he looks around.
Only, no sound escapes his moving lips. He carries on briefly glancing at Naku while looking around waving his arms around to go with the story, completely oblivious, he doesn't seem to realise as he he stops and patiently looks to Naku waiting for a response.

Naku blinks slightly. She was fairly good at reading lips, and tried to run through the conversation again, seeing if she could piece together any of what he had said.
She shrugged and tapped her ear, looking apologetically at the boy, before signing <Hello?> at him.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-04, 03:08 PM
The glowing boy, the ghostly image of Arlen, watches as Naku shrugs at his words then taps her ear and begins to sign.

"Oh" Naku reads from his lips "so you're deaf? just my luck"
Arlen then softly chuckles to himself in his eerie silence.

He raises his hands and shakes them and his head, slowly mouthing "sorry I can't speak wi...."
His lips keep moving but his head twisted to follow the newcomer, never had he seen armour like that or a person like her, oh and the shiny! His eyes lit up as he couldn't help gawking for a bit.
He looks back at Naku, lips still flowing. "...nds do. You. Under. Stand. Me?"

Arlen smiles his warm playful smile, then suddenly his light fades dramatically, so much so his limbs almost vanished entirely, within a second the blue hue was back and swirling around while he seemed none the wiser.

Mee
2014-10-04, 03:20 PM
The glowing boy, the ghostly image of Arlen, watches as Naku shrugs at his words then taps her ear and begins to sign.

"Oh" Naku reads from his lips "so you're deaf? just my luck"
Arlen then softly chuckles to himself in his eerie silence.

He raises his hands and shakes them and his head, slowly mouthing "sorry I can't speak wi...."
His lips keep moving but his head twisted to follow the newcomer, never had he seen armour like that or a person like her, oh and the shiny! His eyes lit up as he couldn't help gawking for a bit.
He looks back at Naku, lips still flowing. "...nds do. You. Under. Stand. Me?"

Arlen smiles his warm playful smile, then suddenly his light fades dramatically, so much so his limbs almost vanished entirely, within a second the blue hue was back and swirling around while he seemed none the wiser.

"Well, I'm not." Naku informs him with a grin. "I just wasn't sure about you. For some reason," she lets him know, hopping over the bar and walking over to him. She's quite tall, and has nearly floor length, darkish purple hair. "And I do understand you, yes." She smiles at him, vampire fangs showing. "What can I do for you?" With that, she kneels a bit in front of him, so they're on more equal height footing, as it were.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-04, 03:41 PM
He emits no sound in his reply but clearly he heard Naku,
Watching Naku as she approaches him, a clear hint of surprise strikes his face then his lips reply,
"Well this is a weird turn of events"
His right foot slides back, he bends slightly at the knee dipping and twisting his torso side on, lastly he raises his fists.

"Now you follow me to my dreams, well that's ok, I guess I can't really lose then can I" again no sound, just the readable motion of his lips.

Without tone in his words it's hard to discern wether he is angry or excited about starting this fight, seemingly both.

Mee
2014-10-04, 05:39 PM
He emits no sound in his reply but clearly he heard Naku,
Watching Naku as she approaches him, a clear hint of surprise strikes his face then his lips reply,
"Well this is a weird turn of events"
His right foot slides back, he bends slightly at the knee dipping and twisting his torso side on, lastly he raises his fists.

"Now you follow me to my dreams, well that's ok, I guess I can't really lose then can I" again no sound, just the readable motion of his lips.

Without tone in his words it's hard to discern wether he is angry or excited about starting this fight, seemingly both.

Naku steps when he enters his fighting stance, raises her hands slightly, and backs up a step.
"It's all right." She informs him, smiling slightly. "The DFI is a peaceable place. No one's going to hurt you."

Holy-hunter
2014-10-04, 10:41 PM
" hurt me?" His lips move out the rhetorical question.
" hurt people is all vampires do!"

With a sharp twist he flicks his foot at the top of a chair leg, a strong kick to snap free a piece of wood, only nothing....
His soft blue hue slightly flashes, sparkling as the object passes through his leg.

Arlen dare not divert his eyes from the vampire but he is clearly bewildered by the current event. He seems at a loss for what to do.

Next he reaches for a table, this time from the corner of his eye he sees his predicament as his hand passes through, again and again. He loses his fighting stance and gives up his focus on Naku as he begins desperately pawing at random objects.

With fear and horror on his bewildered confused face he looks up at Naku, hands open in front of his chest shaking, his charade of a vampire hunter gone. Wiped clean. His now expression and stance reveal him for the young confused scared boy he really is. With a tearless crying face his lips ask in desperation

"What have you done to me? What's going on?.... th this isn't a dream is it.."

Mee
2014-10-04, 11:10 PM
" hurt me?" His lips move out the rhetorical question.
" hurt people is all vampires do!"

With a sharp twist he flicks his foot at the top of a chair leg, a strong kick to snap free a piece of wood, only nothing....
His soft blue hue slightly flashes, sparkling as the object passes through his leg.

Arlen dare not divert his eyes from the vampire but he is clearly bewildered by the current event. He seems at a loss for what to do.

Next he reaches for a table, this time from the corner of his eye he sees his predicament as his hand passes through, again and again. He loses his fighting stance and gives up his focus on Naku as he begins desperately pawing at random objects.

With fear and horror on his bewildered confused face he looks up at Naku, hands open in front of his chest shaking, his charade of a vampire hunter gone. Wiped clean. His now expression and stance reveal him for the young confused scared boy he really is. With a tearless crying face his lips ask in desperation

"What have you done to me? What's going on?.... th this isn't a dream is it.."

"I . . . don't know what's going on." Naku has to admit, shaking her head, very, very sadly at the situation before her. This feels eerily familiar, and has her thinking back to the few days preceding her first visit to the Nexus.

"This is definitely not a dream. I've asked the same thing too often.

. . . would you feel more comfortable if I got someone else over here to talk to you? You don't seem at ease with me. I don't want to make you worry."

Recaiden
2014-10-04, 11:10 PM
"Naku? Is everything okay?"
Leah has been watching the ghostly antics, unable to read lips, but turns towards Arlen, face showing slight concern.

"Can you hear us, boy?"

She walks over, a bit closer.

"You don't know what's going on, do you? You look like a ghost."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-04, 11:26 PM
Mist smiles.
"Well then, my first order to you is to get yourself an opinion on how the furniture in the main room here should be reordered, and follow it. Got it?" he says.

And later!

"Oh geez. Leah, what happened?" asks the fox, hopping over the bar and over to the now-winged lady.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-04, 11:48 PM
Wide eyed Arlen head twists from Naku to Leah and then down to his hands.

His lips begin, "am"

"Am I?"

"Dead?"
The last word manifests into material sound, although a silent shout the anguish and fear echos off the walls as a soft audible hum.

As he looks up waiting for answers, nothingness begins to develop within his incorporeal hue, swirling amongst his light like a moving piece of him isn't there. It grows and spreads with the despair on his face threatening to consume him, or remove him.

Mee
2014-10-05, 12:01 AM
"Naku? Is everything okay?"
Leah has been watching the ghostly antics, unable to read lips, but turns towards Arlen, face showing slight concern.

"Can you hear us, boy?"

She walks over, a bit closer.

"You don't know what's going on, do you? You look like a ghost."

"He can hear, and talk, just can't make any noises." But then the look like a ghost comment.

Wide eyed Arlen head twists from Naku to Leah and then down to his hands.

His lips begin, "am"

"Am I?"

"Dead?"
The last word manifests into material sound, although a silent shout the anguish and fear echos off the walls as a soft audible hum.

As he looks up waiting for answers, nothingness begins to develop within his incorporeal hue, swirling amongst his light like a moving piece of him isn't there. It grows and spreads with the despair on his face threatening to consume him, or remove him.

"Hey, kiddo. Don't go anywhere. You may be dead. Or you may just be an astral projection of yourself. Whatever it is that's going on, the important part is that you're still here. We're here with you. You're not alone. Don't worry. Don't be scared."

Recaiden
2014-10-05, 12:26 AM
"I died. That's why I didn't show up. I can explain more later."
And why all the strangeness, like talking in a different font.

She shoots Mist a smile, and then looks to the ghostly boy.
"And I'm fine, see? Don't you worry. We'll puzzle out whatever is going on with you, you know?"

Leah steps over and tries to pat him on the shoulder. Whatever is up with him, she should probably be solid to him. Manipulating corporeality and solidity is still one of her things.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-05, 03:11 AM
Arlen looks to Naku as she speaks, listening intently he calms and becomes whole again. "Thank you" he lips regaining his posture and turning to Leah. He was about to ask a question when suddenly he felt the weight of her hand on his shoulder.

The sudden surprise made him jump, looking like a boy touched by a ghost he staggers back and trips over his own feet, hitting the floor with a silent thud.

Sitting up he looks up at every one then throws his head back in silent laughter with a big grin. Looking to Leah he begins "Ok so you can touch me and apparently I can still touh myself" he lips while rubbing the ankle he tripped on. Then as he stands he looks to Naku and with a smile mouths,
"Your right, I'm still here and I bet it's better then the alternative. Thank you" then he ends with a large sigh.

Holding one hand to his chest "Arlen" he slowly and clearly mouths for every one to see. The wind ever so softly whispers his name within its own sounds.
He holds his free hand out in greeting, a now pointless habit, he silently laughs and retracts it.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-05, 07:55 AM
"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Arlen..." says Mrs McGinty, her grey, aged features forming a loose approximation of a kindly smile. Out of the pocket of her cardigan she pulls a small paper bag, which she offers in the incorporeal boy's direction. "Would you like a boiled sweet?"

Holy-hunter
2014-10-05, 12:06 PM
Arlen smiles as he scratches the back of his head contemplativly staring at the sweets in the old lady's hands, a lust in his young eager eyes.
Eventually he shakes it off, politely waving his hand in refusal, not being sure he could take it if he wanted or what he would do with it.

Your still thinking and concious he reminds himself, pushing away the worries of the unknown. One new thing at a time.
His confident smile faulters,
Slowly and curiously he reaches out both his arms either side of him, extending one outstretched finger towards Leah's shoulder and the other to Naku's.

Mee
2014-10-05, 03:06 PM
Arlen looks to Naku as she speaks, listening intently he calms and becomes whole again. "Thank you" he lips regaining his posture and turning to Leah. He was about to ask a question when suddenly he felt the weight of her hand on his shoulder.

The sudden surprise made him jump, looking like a boy touched by a ghost he staggers back and trips over his own feet, hitting the floor with a silent thud.

Sitting up he looks up at every one then throws his head back in silent laughter with a big grin. Looking to Leah he begins "Ok so you can touch me and apparently I can still touh myself" he lips while rubbing the ankle he tripped on. Then as he stands he looks to Naku and with a smile mouths,
"Your right, I'm still here and I bet it's better then the alternative. Thank you" then he ends with a large sigh.

Holding one hand to his chest "Arlen" he slowly and clearly mouths for every one to see. The wind ever so softly whispers his name within its own sounds.
He holds his free hand out in greeting, a now pointless habit, he silently laughs and retracts it.

"That's the right attitude!" Naku says, grinning along with him.

Arlen smiles as he scratches the back of his head contemplativly staring at the sweets in the old lady's hands, a lust in his young eager eyes.
Eventually he shakes it off, politely waving his hand in refusal, not being sure he could take it if he wanted or what he would do with it.

Your still thinking and concious he reminds himself, pushing away the worries of the unknown. One new thing at a time.
His confident smile faulters,
Slowly and curiously he reaches out both his arms either side of him, extending one outstretched finger towards Leah's shoulder and the other to Naku's.

Well. Naku's as solid as any other real living person, so whatever would happen to anyone else happens to Naku as the finger gets poked at her.

Recaiden
2014-10-05, 03:20 PM
Leah nods. She's not sure what the boy said, but Naku said it was the right attitude, so surely it was.
"Right. Harlen? Arlen."
Leah is then poked in the shoulder, which is as solid as the rest of her.

Turns back to Mist with a smile.
"Sorry. You were being concerned?"
She shrugs.
"I went out to investigate something on the Wall, and I got killed. Not sure how; I can't remember any of it. But thanks to Kes and my dad, I got better. Sort of."

Holy-hunter
2014-10-05, 10:27 PM
Arlen's finger disappears into Naku's shoulder with a fizzle of light, whie on the other hand (litteraly) his finger bends against Leah's.

He looks at his hands them the girls and finally begins moving his lips at Leah while touching his index fingers together.

Naku will see the words as - why is it that you are real to me? Do you think there is a way I can learn to do what you do? I mean like, live in both worlds?
Arlen holds a hopeful plea in his eyes as he carries on.

Mee
2014-10-05, 10:29 PM
Arlen's finger disappears into Naku's shoulder with a fizzle of light, whie on the other hand (litteraly) his finger bends against Leah's.

He looks at his hands them the girls and finally begins moving his lips at Leah while touching his index fingers together.

Naku will see the words as - why is it that you are real to me? Do you think there is a way I can learn to do what you do? I mean like, live in both worlds?
Arlen holds a hopeful plea in his eyes as he carries on.

Naku relays to Leah, not really having anything else she could say. "Talking to everyone, I think, should be first." Naku adds with a bit of a smile.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-05, 10:42 PM
Mist gives her a heavy, blank, dumbfounded look.
"Wait, no, what? You what?" Mist gently puts his hands on her shoulders and looks her over.
"Are- are you okay? Did it all go smoothly? Oh geez, Leah..." he says, more than a bit at a loss.

Recaiden
2014-10-05, 11:02 PM
"I think it's probably possible, but I don't know how to teach you. A friend gave me a talisman that let me act in this world, but it's been damaged; it wouldn't work for you. We, I heard something, I thought, when you said your name. Can you try to say things the same way you did then? I'm sorry."
Leah shrugs, hands open helplessly.
"I'll see if we can maybe make something like it for you, but don't hold your breath hoping for it."

Shakes her head at Mist. When looked over, all the changes are visible: different sunglasses, eyes not glowing, mechanical whirring sound, no heartbeat, skin is slightly warmer than normal and made out of shadow-stuff, bald, shaky (though that's probably just nerves), voice is a little tinny, certainly doesn't smell like herself. No visible injuries.
"Died. I don't even know how. Just, my suit stopped reporting life signs back to the recorder at home. My body was gone by the time we went to look. But it wasn't bad. I don't even remember it. Waking up again..."
She shudders involuntarily.
"...that was awful. I was aware a long time before I could move or see. And I'm like, a robot or something now? I don't really understand it all; I studied astrophysics, not electronics, but-"
She waves her more mechanical hand to demonstrate.
"-it's okay. The worst part is I can't sense emotions anymore. It's like walking into a sound-proofed room, all the time. But I've met a lot of dead people, and this certainly beats being dead. I can still come be here with you all." :smallsmile:

Holy-hunter
2014-10-05, 11:18 PM
"My body!" Just as Leah stoped talking a sharp gust of wind ratteled loose objects and as before in its own sounds it hid Arlen's words. This time it was clearer and louder, like a fierce whisper.

Arlen lept infront of Naku so she could clearly read his words.
- "I don't know where my body is, what if something happens to it?.... Shoyler!"
He suddenly silently shouts with excitement.

-"he can help both of us!" Arlen's eyes widen with excitement at this sudden realization, "he's a powerful old guy and I've seen him undo the vampire curse before. He's gotta be able to do something for ghosts too and maybe even find my body, you know, just so I know it's safe."

A blue glow fizzles on Naku's hands as Arlen in his excitement tried to grab them.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-06, 09:36 PM
Mist still isn't quite sure how to respond.
"Well...you went full Fey before, right? Aren't they one of the kinds that can recover from being killed? Or is that just certain Sidhe? Are you stuck like this? It's not bad, mind you, I just don't know what the story is if you don't."

Mee
2014-10-06, 09:57 PM
"My body!" Just as Leah stoped talking a sharp gust of wind ratteled loose objects and as before in its own sounds it hid Arlen's words. This time it was clearer and louder, like a fierce whisper.

Arlen lept infront of Naku so she could clearly read his words.
- "I don't know where my body is, what if something happens to it?.... Shoyler!"
He suddenly silently shouts with excitement.

-"he can help both of us!" Arlen's eyes widen with excitement at this sudden realization, "he's a powerful old guy and I've seen him undo the vampire curse before. He's gotta be able to do something for ghosts too and maybe even find my body, you know, just so I know it's safe."

A blue glow fizzles on Naku's hands as Arlen in his excitement tried to grab them.

"Shoyler? We can definitely look for him." Naku says, her own excitement growing. She might not be able to take his hands, or have hers taken, but she keeps her hands there anyway! "I'm sure we can find him. Is he around the Nexus?"

Holy-hunter
2014-10-06, 10:39 PM
Arlen's sudden excitement fades away with a shrug of his shoulders. Rubbing his chin as he thinks.
-"it's been along time but I met him at the black dragons den."

Listening as Leah talks about her death A strange new thought popped into Arlen's head and once again his focus diverged as he was distracted.

He begins by circling Mrs McGinty, eyeing her up and down, analysing the old woman as he goes around, then he moves onto Mist.
Are you guys dead too? He eventually tries to ask forgetting no one can hear him. His train of thought now leading to the idea they are all dead in some way and this is a halfway place.

-"She is pretty old" he mouths to back to Naku while standing behind the old lady slightly nodding.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-07, 01:57 AM
Arlen's sudden excitement fades away with a shrug of his shoulders. Rubbing his chin as he thinks.

Listening as Leah talks about her death A strange new thought popped into Arlen's head and once again his focus diverged as he was distracted.

He begins by circling Mrs McGinty, eyeing her up and down, analysing the old woman as he goes around, then he moves onto Mist.
Are you guys dead too? He eventually tries to ask forgetting no one can hear him. His train of thought now leading to the idea they are all dead in some way and this is a halfway place.

-"She is pretty old" he mouths to back to Naku while standing behind the old lady slightly nodding.

"I've been older..." Mrs McGinty replies, unbidden and without seeing the boy's lips move. "I've also spent enough time dead to know that's not where I am right now. In my experience, death doesn't do good sherry..." She lifts the pint mug to her lips, and drinks deeply once again, pausing then to wipe her mouth on the sleeve of her cardigan, before giving a nod of affirmation. "And that's a very good sherry."

*Burp*

Recaiden
2014-10-07, 12:49 PM
Leah shifts awkwardly, not knowing how to answer.
"Honestly I'm not sure. Yes, we can recover from dying...sometimes. 'If you die in a dream, you're fine in the next dream' and all that. But there are things that do us in for good. Make us as dead as anyone, at least."
Like iron, divine weapons, stronger fae.
"I guess I ran into one of those, and had to get better through normal means."
That's not actually what happened, but it seems reasonable enough.
"So I'm stuck like this for now, but probably not forever."
Leah gives a bright cheery smile.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-07, 01:15 PM
Mist smiles at the woman. "Thanks. We try." They don't make the sherry, but they do try to get good stuff.

---
Well, that's fine. It's not like I have any idea of what happened.
Mist still frowns, but he does seem brightened a bit.
"Well, good then. No offense, but I do prefer your look with hair." he says teasingly.

Recaiden
2014-10-07, 01:33 PM
Just so we don't get as many confused questions when the horrible but exciting truth is revealed.

"Hah."
Leah runs her left, less mechanical hand over her scalp, laughing.
"Didn't realize I'd really care about it till it was all gone. Maybe I can come up with something though. Or maybe you'll get to like it. I wouldn't try it yourself though."
And of course upon imagining a furless Mist, she has to laugh for a moment.

Her face brightens up then, remembering.
"Plus side, unrelated: I can taste things now! Not as well as a human even, but like, real actual senses like other people get."
Why there just happened to be a bunch of artificial tongues but no working limbs in Kes's warehouse of parts is a question she never got answered.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-07, 01:36 PM
Arlen chuckles at the old lady's burp the way a young carefree boy should. The peaks of his laughter reach through and materialise as soft sounds. He looks around the room at people he already regards as friends and smiles waitingly.

Next second he is behind Leah examining the shiny metallic contraption on her back, running a finger across the edges, enjoying being able to touch.
He begins talking to Mist then remembers and looks to Naku,
-"please ask the owner (Mist) the way to the dragons den, or if a large old man named Shoyler ever visited here, or any of his companions Ivaz, Alistair, or even..." He pauses as his memories bring a soft smile to his face, he looks to the hall behind the bar following his memory and his smile slowly fades and he ends the conversation there as he focuses on his hands as he begins inquisitively trying to open Leah's wings.

Mee
2014-10-07, 09:33 PM

Naku started to grin and nod in agreement, but then Mrs. McGinty answered him apparently.

"I've been older..." Mrs McGinty replies, unbidden and without seeing the boy's lips move. "I've also spent enough time dead to know that's not where I am right now. In my experience, death doesn't do good sherry..." She lifts the pint mug to her lips, and drinks deeply once again, pausing then to wipe her mouth on the sleeve of her cardigan, before giving a nod of affirmation. "And that's a very good sherry."

*Burp*

Naku . . . did not expect this. She blinks several times. She could read lips, but that . . . was crazy.
". . . how did you hear him?" This could be important! This could help Arlen get his voice back.

Arlen chuckles at the old lady's burp the way a young carefree boy should. The peaks of his laughter reach through and materialise as soft sounds. He looks around the room at people he already regards as friends and smiles waitingly.

Next second he is behind Leah examining the shiny metallic contraption on her back, running a finger across the edges, enjoying being able to touch.
-"please ask the owner (Mist) the way to the dragons den, or if a large old man named Shoyler ever visited here, or any of his companions Ivaz, Alistair, or even..." He pauses as his memories bring a soft smile to his face, he looks to the hall behind the bar following his memory and his smile slowly fades and he ends the conversation there as he focuses on his hands as he begins inquisitively trying to open Leah's wings.

Naku is able to give him directions to the Dragon's Den on her own, and inform him that she didn't remember seeing any of them, though the names did seem familiar. Mist might know more.

She stands as he goes to play with Leah's wings, and smiles at him. He's a good kid. Naku likes kids.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-08, 02:06 AM
Naku . . . did not expect this. She blinks several times. She could read lips, but that . . . was crazy.
". . . how did you hear him?" This could be important! This could help Arlen get his voice back.

"I, erm, saw his reflection in my pint mug?" lies Mrs McGinty, unconvincingly.

Mee
2014-10-08, 09:46 AM
"I, erm, saw his reflection in my pint mug?" lies Mrs McGinty, unconvincingly.

This truly bothers and upsets Naku. "That was entirely uncalled for." She informs Mrs. McGinty, her expression harsh and unamused. "This poor boy lost his body, and no one can hear him, save for sporadic, quiet words now and again. You apparently can, and are trying to lie about it.

So I ask again." Naku says through mostly clenched teeth. "How did you hear him?"

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-08, 11:31 AM
This truly bothers and upsets Naku. "That was entirely uncalled for." She informs Mrs. McGinty, her expression harsh and unamused. "This poor boy lost his body, and no one can hear him, save for sporadic, quiet words now and again. You apparently can, and are trying to lie about it.

So I ask again." Naku says through mostly clenched teeth. "How did you hear him?"

Mrs McGinty sighs deeply, her shoulders slump, and her face suddenly looks much older than before. "I couldn't hear him. At least not in the way you're thinking. There was no sound. And my ears played no part in the process. I just... knew." She stares into what remains of her sherry for a moment, before looking up, directly into Naku's eyes, her face set in a terrible intensity. "Please trust that you do not want me to explain any further. Nobody can experience what I have without learning things..." For a moment there is a glint of genuine terror in her gaze. "...things that should not be known."

Holy-hunter
2014-10-08, 12:25 PM
"So you sorta died" Arlen excitedly states more so than asks Mrs McGinty, now knowing she can hear him.

If any look toward Arlen or are distracted by the blury blue glow waving behind Leah they will notice him sitting on the floor within a chair.
With his butt on the ground his upper torso protrudes through the seat, he bares a proud 'I was right' smile and a deep complex focus in his eyes. However nothing about the scene can be taken seriously as his arms frantically wave about in a new combined mixture of swimming and flying moves.

Some may have noticed it unraveled as so:
Arlen fell back into a chair looking a Leah's wings, having been caught up in a new obsession and infatuation. (regardless of the out come of him playing with them)
After a small moment of sitting 'on' the chair the sudden realization caused him to fall though it.
Having only moments ago been thinking about flying, his logical thought process leads him to think he was flying above the chair.

And that is why you will now see a young semitransparent smiling, concentrating torso flapping and making vertical swimming motions as he tries to fly upwards from an old dirty tavern seat.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-08, 01:31 PM
"So you sorta died" Arlen excitedly states more so than asks Mrs McGinty, now knowing she can hear him.

"More than once" she replies, with a sad smile. "More, in fact, than I care to remember. To start with, you fear each time will be the last. Eventually, you get to hoping it is."

Recaiden
2014-10-11, 10:49 PM

Leah's wings are 'feathered' with solar panels, to eventually fold out to great surface and soak up light to keep her running. Mostly polished, but there's a few places with exposed wires.
She turns to note the boy's curiosity with a laugh.
"I don't know that you can fly, Arlen."

Arkhosia
2014-10-11, 11:36 PM
Arlen meets an old friend

The door opens and a gust of wind heralds the approach of Sophia by the steam that blows inside. Sophia, her muscular and (unlike most) not curvy form clad in a Magtok-Purple sweater under her uniform, enters, her cheek cut and seeping steam. She looks slightly tired, and is oddly not equipped with her 3dmg.
She enters, looks about, and her draw hops when she spots Arlen.
Arlen? Is that you?
She asks,with joy cautiously held at bay.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-11, 11:56 PM
Arlen totally freezes under the sound of the newcomers voice, still within his chair he slowly turns to see her, a pale expression of disbelief clung to his face.

Quicker then he could flash his wide ecstatic smile he burst from the floor darting 'at' Sophia, the edges and outlines of chairs and tables softly sparkle with blue as his incorporeal body passes through and over anything between them.

"Sophia" the name softly yet excitedly echo's faintly of every tavern surface, eerily seemingly originating from nowhere.

He comes to a sudden halt as he reaches her, wide eyed and happy, his arms wave in an awkward flap as he stumbles between the idea to hug her, shake her hand or tap her shoulder. (Even tho he probably couldn't do any)

He takes in a deep imaginary breath before exploding in a fast paced flurry of motions, his hands wave around as he speaks his lips moving incredibly fast and even if Sophia was going to lip read in Arlen's excitement he keeps turning his head to his new friends behind him.

As he slows he scratches his head.
"So yea, I might be dead but how have you been" Sophia will see his lips move.
"Glad you kept your promise and are still alive"
He adds before a silent chuckle.

Arkhosia
2014-10-12, 12:15 AM
Sophia grins at the sight of her friend, and is a le to lip read in fact!
Well, I'm hard to kill, after all. I do have regenerative powers. Not much has happened on my end. Met a scientist under my dad's employment, helped to stop a kidnapper terrorize a holloween party though he kidnapped a couple people, may have accidentally crushed a building, the usual.
It 's great to see you, though it is rather sad that it had to be with you in such a condition. I know a temple nearby that might be able to resurrect you though!
Sophia replies, smiling broadly at this turn of events. Arlen is back and she can help him out easily!

Holy-hunter
2014-10-12, 12:43 AM
Arlen's excitement grows even further and his hand blurs through Sophia's like a soft blue breeze as he tried to grab it and pull her to meet the others, realising it failed he motions for her to follow.
With the old lady able to hear him he faces Naku so she can read his smiling lips, "this is my friend Sophia, she thinks she might be able to help me... Will you come too?" An eagerness and hopefulness grows in his eyes during the last part.

Spinning back to Sophia taking a more relaxed stance and flicking back some ghostly hair he mouths,
"So glad your ok! Last I remember you saved me from those giants when I got lost in the woods.. Then nothing... By the way these are my friends" he nods as he waves his hand guesturing to the small group conversing around him "helped me realise what's happening, So how far is this temple?"

Mee
2014-10-12, 02:23 AM
Mrs McGinty sighs deeply, her shoulders slump, and her face suddenly looks much older than before. "I couldn't hear him. At least not in the way you're thinking. There was no sound. And my ears played no part in the process. I just... knew." She stares into what remains of her sherry for a moment, before looking up, directly into Naku's eyes, her face set in a terrible intensity. "Please trust that you do not want me to explain any further. Nobody can experience what I have without learning things..." For a moment there is a glint of genuine terror in her gaze. "...things that should not be known."

((So first off, sorry for this post taking so long to be made. It's been quite the week.))

Naku chuckles slightly. "You speak of things that shouldn't be known as if you're the only one with memories like that. But as you wish. I won't ask again." Naku says without malice nor ire being aimed at Mrs. McGinty, just statement of fact, and acceptance of McGinty's desire to not speak about it.
With that, she looks over to Arlen, and grins at him.

With the old lady able to hear him he faces Naku so she can read his smiling lips, "this is my friend Sophia, she thinks she might be able to help me... Will you come too?" An eagerness and hopefulness grows in his eyes during the last part.

"If my boss doesn't mind me taking the time off, and I don't think he will, I would be delighted to go as well." Naku also nods a greeting at Sophia. "Would we leave soon, or in a bit?"

Arkhosia
2014-10-12, 12:17 PM
Sophia thinks for a bit.
about a 30 minutes walk away from here.
She replies.
I should be able to get us all over there on my titan form, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep up with it or stay upon it...

Holy-hunter
2014-10-12, 12:32 PM
While Arlen smiles at the idea of riding a Titan and there is a noticeable longing in his eyes for that adventure, he starts.
"Let's all go by our own feet, no rush."

"Naku! No drinking my blood when I'm alive again, ok?"
"Mrs McGinty are you coming too?"
"Sophia who are we meeting there?"
"Naku can you go out in the day? We will wait till night if we must."
"Mrs McGinty, are you alright to walk that far?"

Arlen's enthusiasm is obvious, however general concern caught him on the last two questions as he span in a circles facing each person he questioned.

He finally stops and stares at Sophia with a contempt smile, when she notices him he jumps up over to Leah and Mist giving them the puzzled 'are you coming too' look and lip motions.

Mrs McGinty
2014-10-12, 01:43 PM
"A walk might be nice" replies Mrs McGinty. "And don't worry about my old legs slowing you down - I'll keep up alright." With that, she drains the last of the sherry, and starts doing some stretches by way of a pre-stroll warm up. As it turns out, she's surprisingly flexible.

((So first off, sorry for this post taking so long to be made. It's been quite the week.))

((No worries. I've had a pretty crazy one myself.))

Mee
2014-10-12, 04:27 PM
((No worries. I've had a pretty crazy one myself.))

((Thank you.))

While Arlen smiles at the idea of riding a Titan and there is a noticeable longing in his eyes for that adventure, he starts.
"Let's all go by our own feet, no rush."

"Naku! No drinking my blood when I'm alive again, ok?"
"Naku can you go out in the day? We will wait till night if we must."

Arlen's enthusiasm is obvious, however general concern caught him on the last two questions as he span in a circles facing each person he questioned.

"I wouldn't drink your blood anyway, even without the request." Naku informs him, grinning slightly. "And no. The sun won't stop me. But this all depends on Mist."

Speaking of Mist, Naku stands, and addresses the good man!
"Hey, Mist. Do you mind if I," she's quite proud. She avoids saying 'babysit' here. "accompany these guys on a thing?"

Arkhosia
2014-10-12, 10:48 PM
Sophia grins happily when she sees Arlen inquire so cheerfully and excitedly, like a kid who wants to badly go to a certain theme park found in the U.S. Retirement Home State and just can't wait to get on the next plane there. She missed the joyful and naive hopeful hero.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-12, 11:24 PM
Mist looks over and shakes his head. " 'course not Naku. You're the one who always encouraged me to take a few breaks and have interests outside of work."

Holy-hunter
2014-10-13, 05:25 AM
Arlen's resurrection
The quest begins

With Mists reply Arlen jumps with a burst of excitement as he fist pumps the air. He looks at the group brimming with excitement.

"Yea lets go" the words almost audible, driven and filled by his vibrant energy!

He runs to the door then last minute detours for the wall and vanishes through it in a soft splash of blue light.

He will wait outside and follow Sophia to the temple.

((Ark can you please make first post at, and post a link to, the temple?)) ((thanks:smallsmile:))

Arkhosia
2014-10-13, 08:00 AM
Arlen's resurrection
The quest begins

With Mists reply Arlen jumps with a burst of excitement as he fist pumps the air. He looks at the group brimming with excitement.

"Yea lets go" the words almost audible, driven and filled by his vibrant energy!

He runs to the door then last minute detours for the wall and vanishes through it in a soft splash of blue light.

He will wait outside and follow Sophia to the temple.

((Ark can you please make first post at, and post a link to, the temple?)) ((thanks:smallsmile:))

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18250601&postcount=608
Tadah!

Recaiden
2014-10-13, 11:49 AM
"Yes, yes; I'm coming too."
Leah smiles at the ghostly boy's enthusiasm, turns and winks at Mist, and goes to head out the door.

Holy-hunter
2014-10-13, 12:02 PM
After Leah leaves the tavern a soft sparkly blue face appears through the door, and without words Arlen asks
'So are you coming too?'

After all the tavern is nearly empty and it's only a short walk away and shouldn't take too long.

Mee
2014-10-13, 01:03 PM
Mist looks over and shakes his head. " 'course not Naku. You're the one who always encouraged me to take a few breaks and have interests outside of work."

"Thank you, Mist. So I'll need a few minutes, everyone." Is at least what Naku starts to say, before everyone just runs out the door.

Well that was kind of unexpected. She quickly hops over the bar, and grabs her swordbelt from its fastened position underneath, while muttering about how a minute to grab armor would have been nice. Oh well.
"See you later, Mist. Good luck." With a tip of her invisible hat, she took off with everyone else.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-20, 08:42 PM
Alysha is here!

The peppy vampire is sitting at the bar at the moment. There's a paper in front of her. There's a pencil in her hand. She's currently chewing on the eraser, lost in thought. The paper has a crossword puzzle on it.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 12:13 AM
((sorry about the delay; I dozed off again.))

There's the sound of someone sitting down at a stool near her, and shortly thereafter, a voice.
"Alysha? That you? Oh geez, it's been a year, hasn't it? Sorry about that, I was pretty busy with the Irregulars. How've you been? You look exactly the same, although I guess that's to be expected."
The voice belongs to a large griffin sitting next to her, black from his head to the feathery fan at the end of his tail, though his beak is yellow. A combat helmet with a pair of flight goggles are on the bar next to him, and he's wearing only a shoulder-holster with a sleek black laser-pistol and a black armband with a white Union star on it. (He didn't ask to match his uniform's colors!)
Now, the voice does sound exactly like one Nick Richards who Alysha spent an afternoon with a year ago before having to deal with some Irregulars questioning about a giant robot, but unless Alysha's memory is very subjective she'd probably remember that fellow as a man in a dark coat, and not a griffin.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 07:50 AM
Alysha turns to the sound of the voice, the pencil still in her mouth. She takes a moment to look over the griffin, then tilts her head a bit.

Okay...you sound like somebody I met. We were in a robot. I think it ate us, maybe?

You definitely don't look like him, though. He was human. Not saying how you look is bad! It's just different.

Alysha goes into a thinking pose now. What was his name again? Rick? Mick? Nick? No...hm...

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 09:12 AM
The griffin smiles, which probably looks a bit funny with the whole beak thing.
"Right on the third try! And uh, yeah, sorry about that..." his wings shuffle a bit. "I alternate so much I sometimes forget that what I at the time might not be what people expect. "

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 09:55 AM
Alysha smiles and chuckles a bit. Aw, that's okay. I've changed a few times, too. Sure, it's really only when I go to certain worlds, but still.

So, what very you been up to?

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 10:40 AM
Nick's tail flicks. This bar stool really isn't big enough for him, but he's gotten awfully good at balancing on such things.
"Well, I joined the Irregulars after that, so it's the Union now. And uh, I ended up seeing someone. That got weird for unrelated reasons, but we're still happy. I can look like this and my normal self due to a weird incident involving a map, a Die, and a monkey king. Uh, what about you?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 09:17 PM
Alysha sets the pencil down and thinks it over, trying to remember.

Well...I've spent a lot of time travelling. Doing my duty of protecting the hearts of worlds and stuff. It's funny that you mention a monkey king, cause I met one. His name was Louie. He loved singing and dancing. Wasn't great at dancing, but that didn't stop him.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 09:23 PM
Nick scratches under his beak, which his player doesn't think can really be called a chin.
"Yeah, I don't think Wukong was very coordinated either. He said he could slay demons, and given his folklore I'll believe him, but he sure was weird. Yours like that?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 09:28 PM
Alysha shakes her head a bit. No. Well, he was kinda weird, but in a funny way. But he didn't do any demon slaying or anything. Just kinda told the rest of the monkeys in the jungle what to do.

Although...I noticed he wasn't actually a monkey himself. Cause monkeys have tails, and apes don't. He didn't. I think he was an orangutan.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 09:34 PM
Nick waves a claw in a way that's probably supposed to be a shrug.
"Well, I guess you don't have to be a monkey to tell others what to do. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but I wouldn't necessarily trust an orangutan in the middle of the jungle to have been educated enough to know the difference. Hrm. Any other cool worlds? Ooh, ever been something that flies? Because it turns out flying is really damn awesome." he says, grinning another wide grin.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 09:40 PM
Alysha shakes her head.

No. Well...I haven't had wings. I have been to a place called Neverland, and there I got sprinkled with pixie dust, and then I could think happy thoughts and fly around. That was fun.

Let's see...I've been a lion, I've been a car, I've been a toy, and I've been in a world that's always Halloween. I went back there once after becoming a vampire, and I think I fit in even better than my first time there.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 09:45 PM
Nick tilts his head just a tiny bit in a very avian manner. He'd almost forgotten about that.
"Oh yeah. That still working out for you? I've hung around one of the Temples in Inside a few times, and from what I could gather they seem to take care of things like that, but you seem pretty happy with how you are, unlike other folks. Maybe they just don't have a kind quite as bearable."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 09:47 PM
Alysha shrugs a bit.

Eh, I've learned to live with it. It has certain pluses to it. Other than the occasional wave of anti-vampire paranoia that runs through the city every so often, people don't seem to really care, either.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 10:07 PM
Nick nods. "It was just an honest question. I'm not one to judge, especially given my complete lack of a concrete identity. You sound busy, though. How often do you leave the Nexus, anyway?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 10:12 PM
Alysha waves her hand in the air a bit.

Not a whole lot, but when I do go, I tend to be gone for a good chunk of time. I get a lot done in that time.

In all honesty, the Nexus is the world I've been at the longest. Besides my home. Which is weird, because I've hardly ever seen any Heartless or Nobodies here.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-21, 10:31 PM
Nick tilts his head again.
"What's weird about that? If you like being somewhere, why shouldn't you spend time there?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-21, 10:37 PM
Alysha shakes her head.

Oh, no, it's not that. Of course I'd want to stay at a place I like. That's just common sense.

No, it's that ever since I became a Keyblade wielder, I've never stayed at a world for very long. I get called to a world to help take care of some issue. It almost always has to do with Heartless or Nobodies. And then, when that's done, I get called somewhere else.

But here...I got called here, but I haven't come across anything having to do with Heartless or Nobodies. And I've been here way longer than any other place.

So, I'm saying it's bad. Just weird.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-22, 11:17 AM
Nick smirks. "Well...ever consider that maybe your Blade is trying to force you to take some vacation time? I mean, I think you said you didn't get turned too long ago, so you can't be too much older than you look. Kids shouldn't have to deal with saving worlds over and over and over again without a break at least. Well, I don't think they should be risking their lives at all frankly, but if you really have to do it that way you at least should make sure you don't wear 'em out. It sounds very stressful."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-22, 11:23 AM
Alysha goes to respond, pauses, then shuts her mouth and thinks it over for a minute.

That...could be true. Maybe. I have no idea. There's not anything on record of that happening before. But, Keyblades can be unpredictable. So who knows?

Deathkeeper
2014-10-22, 08:08 PM
Nick shakes his head.
"Well, I certainly don't. I don't get magic. Well, except what I need to fly, but that seems different somehow. So, what takes you here today? Just unwinding and stuff? I like grabbing drinks here. It's nice and quiet."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-22, 08:15 PM
Alysha nods.

Yeah, just hanging around, doing a crossword puzzle. Not much to do at the moment.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-23, 09:58 AM
Nick gets a drink that he totally ordered a minute ago. He doesn't have lips, so he uses a straw. A griffin sipping beer through a straw was probably not what Alysha was expecting to see today.
"Hey, you don't know how your Blade works at all, do you? Fortuna would freak out at a chance to look at something that interacts with how worlds are connected."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-23, 11:03 AM
Alysha finds the sight of a griffin drinking through a straw highly amusing.

She shrugs a bit. I know some stuff. About as much as most people back home. I know it's connected to people's hearts, and that's how it picks who can use it. If somebody else were to steal it from me, I can summon it back with a thought. Cause it's connected to my heart.

It also makes for a good way to channel magic.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-23, 05:46 PM
Nick nods.
"Hrm. Nothing about how it gets called and travels between worlds? A shame, but probably good for you. Fortuna is very persistent when it comes to leads for her Bridge Project." he says with a chuckle.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-23, 06:28 PM
Alysha waves her hand a bit.

Oh, no, the Keyblade doesn't do that.

Well...okay, it has some part in it. It can lock and unlock anything. Including the paths between worlds. And it does tell me when and where I need to go.

But for actually going, I have a Gummi Ship.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-23, 07:09 PM
Nick gives her a sideways glance with a small smile. "She's trying to make something that can make bridges between any world that the Nexus connects to, so people can come and go. Opening paths would be exactly what she's looking for. 'Course, chances of her getting a thing like yours that she can actually use are slim to none, but she'd probably want to see it in action once for some measurements."

Especially since the Key's Power of Friendship logic isn't all that dissimilar to what she normally works with.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-23, 07:25 PM
Alysha thinks for a moment.

Well, I can't create any paths. Just unlock and lock them. So they have to already be there. I also only know of one path. The one I use.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-23, 07:43 PM
Nick taps at his "chin" again, sipping his drink.
"Well, I think that's basically what they said they were trying to start with. Just reopening portals that people used to get to the Nexus. But it's okay if you've got limitations; it was just an idea. But how many worlds are on that one path of yours? Are they just lined up like houses on a street?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-23, 07:51 PM
Alysha shakes her head.

No, it just goes to one world called Traverse Town. A lot of worlds connect to that one.

Each path I travel just connects two worlds. I guess there could be paths with more than two worlds, but I haven't come across any.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-23, 10:51 PM
Nick nods. "Well, I guess that makes sense. I'm guessing you're the 'get money from smashing monsters' kind of hero-type? I can't imagine you having a job on top of those responsibilities."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-23, 11:39 PM
Alysha nods.

Yeah, I do get munny from that. But, the people in the worlds I help also usually thank me by giving me stuff. I don't take all of it, but some stuff I kinda can't say no to.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-24, 05:23 PM
Nick gives a short laugh which definitely doesn't sound like a squawk at all.
"Oh yeah. I know those types. Some types offer stuff totally innocently with real gratitude, but something about their culture makes them just not get that you're just doing your job. Usually it's just best to go with it. No point in offending someone, right?"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-24, 08:10 PM
Alysha nods a bit.

That's some of it, yeah. But I also get really, really useful things. Like keychains for my Keyblade. Or somebody might offer me room and board. It's always nice to rest a bit after a big battle.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-24, 09:56 PM
Nick smiles.
"Oh, yeah. Worst sign you can ever get is when you realize that you've gotten used to sleeping on the ground. That is when you know you need to find a bed fast before your spine gives out. I'm glad to say that those days are past me."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-24, 10:52 PM
Alysha chuckles.

And that's why inns are awesome. They're almost everywhere. Well, at least in almost every town.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-25, 09:24 PM
Nick sighs. "Yeah, I wish. You must visit worlds that are in need of saving because they haven't ended yet. Generally it was hard to find a settlement that was big enough to really have an inn, let alone one that wasn't a complete deathtrap."

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-26, 07:40 AM
Alysha nods a bit.

Yeah, haven't been to any world's like that yet.

I have been to one full of Greek gods. And one where there weren't people, just cars. And one in a computer.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-26, 08:10 PM
Nick gives a sad smile. "Sounds neat. Too often the only new things I ever met required me to shoot them, and that's just no fun. Glad that you never had to deal with that sort of thing. Or, much, judging from your stories."

Devixer
2014-10-27, 12:24 AM
Aiden walks into the DFI, looking a little better than he did last time he was here. He certainly got some sleep, at least.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 12:26 AM
Mist waves him over with a furry hand, sitting at the bar as always.
"Evening Aiden. What's going on?" asks the bartender/waiter/co-owner.

Devixer
2014-10-27, 12:30 AM
"I'm doing okay. Someone set up some magic... thing to help me out around the Roost," Aiden says. "So now I can actually sleep instead of staying there all night, every night."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 12:34 AM
Mist's ears perk up a bit.
"Oh? Good for you, man. What kind of magic? I know that you're not normally a taker on that sort of thing." he says.

Devixer
2014-10-27, 12:39 AM
"Umm, magic magic? I don't know too much about the specifics," Aiden says. "It's a basic cantrip that handles basic stuff for me so I can focus on actually making food."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 12:41 AM
Mist shrugs,
"What it did was what I meant. But anyway, sure sounds useful. We need to find us a cook around here. Our old one left. I'm guessing you've been doing better with the help of sleep?"

Devixer
2014-10-27, 12:43 AM
"Yeah, definitely. I'd still like to hire some real help, but hey. Baby steps," Aiden says.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 12:47 AM
Mist nods.
"Yeah, truth be told it's probably pretty easy to find cheap labor to help around a place like yours, but most of the folks who offer to do stuff like that are the kind you're shaky about dealing with."

Devixer
2014-10-27, 12:58 AM
"Well, that and I'm not gonna hire cheap labor. I'm gonna pay people what they deserve," Aiden says. "Otherwise I may as well just be stealing."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 01:10 AM
Mist shrugs.
"Sometimes it's a cultural thing."

"Yep." says a conveniently-placed imp a few seats away. He's covered in brown fur and wearing little khaki shorts, with tiny horns, bat-wings, and a very canine face. Some would call him cute, but he'd probably dislike that. Next to him sits a thick book.
"Some of us just need something to do to keep us sane. When you're pretty much set for life and really just need to stave off boredom since you don't really sleep, having work to do is more important than the pay itself."

Devixer
2014-10-27, 01:12 AM
Aiden shrugs as well. Whether it's to Mist or the imp that just popped up is hard to tell. "It's cultural for me as well. I wouldn't feel right not paying employees, even if they insist they don't need it."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 01:22 AM
Clearly the imp had been there the whole time.
Said imp clearly chuckles, muttering something about human morals.
"Whatever helps you sleep at night. Me, I like balancing checkbooks, so I wouldn't mind. 'Course, I can only work nights, so doesn't really matter here." he says to no one in particular.

Meanwhile! "That is how we operate honestly. Naku's insisted on stuff like that, and I do too honestly. Oh, but do keep an eye out for a cook. I suppose in Mallside you must get more traffic around than we do out here." says Mist.

Devixer
2014-10-27, 01:33 AM
"Well, I guess every business is run differently," Aiden says. "Say, how is Naku anyway?"

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 01:35 AM
Mist smiles. "Doing well. She's been feeling much better since she got back to work, especially as just waitressing. It's nice to see her smile again." he says. Her brief sad phase was rather distressing.

Devixer
2014-10-27, 01:41 AM
Aiden smiles as well. "That's good. That's... real good." The look on his face is probably easily readable for Mist.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-27, 01:45 AM
Mist smirks, turning his head a bit to give a sly look.
"You seem pretty happy about that for someone who hasn't been dating her for the last half a year." he says.

Devixer
2014-10-27, 01:48 AM
Aiden pauses for a second. He should probably tread carefully here. "Tha-that doesn't mean anything," he says, sounding awfully convincing except not at all.

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-27, 08:43 PM
Nick gives a sad smile. "Sounds neat. Too often the only new things I ever met required me to shoot them, and that's just no fun. Glad that you never had to deal with that sort of thing. Or, much, judging from your stories."

Alysha's face falls a bit.

Aw, I'm sorry. I didn't want to bring up bad memories.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 12:39 AM
Mist nearly snorts. "Well, it doesn't mean anything particularly special here, because it means about the same thing equally everywhere, doesn't it Aiden?" he says.

---

Nick shakes his head.
"No no, don't worry about that. It's no trouble at all. I've had plenty of time and ways to get over my own issues. I don't have trouble with that sort of thing. I've always been a Present-focused sort of guy." he assures her.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 12:42 AM
"I have no idea what you're talking about," Aiden says, sounding perfectly convincing again. He suddenly feels like he could use a drink, but he also knows what a bad idea that is.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 12:44 AM
Mist shrugs.
"I'm not talking about anything, except how of all the Nexus weirdness you scoff at it seems vampires are still something not on your list." he says innocently.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 12:50 AM
"What? Lots of vampires were human at some point," Aiden says. "Doesn't mean it makes any sense, but..."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 12:57 AM
Mist mm-hmms, resting his vulpine nose on his folded hands.
"Mmhm, and so was I, but sometimes I still catch you muttering disparaging things about talking animals." he says.
Darn fox-ears.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 01:09 AM
Aiden sighs at that. "I swear, if this is some kind of elaborate gotcha moment, you won't hear the end of it," Aiden says. This is really just his best attempt to mask the fact that he is not over Naku at all.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 01:17 AM
Mist tilts his head inquisitively in a very animal-esque manner.
"Why's that, Aiden? You don't have anything for me to say 'gotcha' about, do you? Whatever would I make such a plot to get you to say?" he asks.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 01:20 AM
Aiden sighs again and rests his head on a hand. He isn't too good at this whole "looking tough" thing. "I don't know," he says. "I have no clue what you would want to say that about anyway."

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 01:31 AM
Mist shrugs, leaning back a bit.
"Oh, I'd probably just lightly tease you for saying you dislike Nexus weirdness but having almost exclusively magic and/or nonhuman friends, then make fun of something involving your relationship with my former boss and current employee, and then you'd sigh and I'd laugh and then I'd make you a really crappy cup of coffee to make you feel superior because you do that about a hundred times better than I ever could. That sound about right to you?"

Devixer
2014-10-28, 01:34 AM
"Yeah, I didn't realize we'd hit that point in our itinerary," Aiden says. Well, at least he's smiling now, even if it's barely a half-smile. He's looking at the bar now, though, in that "I'm thinking about something that's probably stupid" way.

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 01:51 AM
"Well, clearly I'm not one for keeping a consistent schedule." a pause. "You thinkin' about something, Aiden?" he asks with a curious flick of the ears.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 01:55 AM
"...No, nothing." Aiden says. He's certainly not thinking about Naku, why would Mist even ask that?

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 07:23 PM
Mist sighs.
"Aaiiiden, I know we're basically throwing out the itinerary, but you already did 'stare off and think awkward romantic thoughts about Naku.' We can't go repeating steps or it throws off the whole groove of things!"

KerfuffleMach2
2014-10-28, 07:45 PM
Nick shakes his head.
"No no, don't worry about that. It's no trouble at all. I've had plenty of time and ways to get over my own issues. I don't have trouble with that sort of thing. I've always been a Present-focused sort of guy." he assures her.

Alysha perks up a bit again.

Well, that's good. No use dwelling on what happened, right? Gotta move forward!

She enthusiastically thrusts a fist into the air.

Devixer
2014-10-28, 11:46 PM
"Well, it's kind of hard for me not to do that," Aiden says, before having anything resembling a thought about that. "Oh, damn, I said that out loud, didn't I?"

Deathkeeper
2014-10-28, 11:51 PM
Nick laughs.
"Yeah, I hear ya. Have to go though, don't always have leave, you know. Nice talking to you, Alysha. Here, if you ever need help saving this world, give me a call. I'm probably a little faster than the normal Union help line. " he says, pulling a tiny business card out of his helmet. Yeah, he has those. Honestly, for exactly this reason. Nick likes to have people know he can fly in at a moment's notice. Or get permission to do so if he's on duty.
"Oh, or if you figure something about about those path-unlocking things. Fortuna really would probably want to take a look at that." he says, standing up (which requires getting off the stool) and collecting his helmet, starting to strap it on and adjust the strap and goggles.

---

Mist smiles a big, toothy smile as he lays his muzzle down on his folded hands again, the most sly of sly grins on his face as he languishes over the word,
"Gotcha."

Devixer
2014-10-29, 12:09 AM
"Shut up," Aiden says. Now he's resting his head on both of his hands because he knows he just lost the stupidest of contests.