PDA

View Full Version : Totem Shape Druid: Broken?

noparlpf
2014-09-19, 06:27 AM
I couldn't find any old threads that quite answered the main question for this ACF, so...

Does Totem Shape even work as written? It doesn't include any kind of caveat to replace Wild Shape's HD cap or size limits. If I want to go Bear Totem, can I even use my main class feature until level three? (Black Bear has 3HD.) Or could I just go straight for Brown Bear (6HD, Large) or Polar Bear (8HD, Large) from level 1? And then when I get Dire Totem Shape at level 6, do I have to wait another six levels to use Dire Bear (12HD)?

"Totem Shape (Su): Totem shape uses the same rules as wild shape, although a druid can only take the form of her totem animal. She gains the ability to change into this shape once per day at 1st level." (DR 335 p87)

Wild Shape (Su): At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.

A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to this form does not permit speech.)

A druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, as noted on Table: The Druid. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 8th level, a Tiny animal at 11th level, and a Huge animal at 15th level.

The new form’s Hit Dice can’t exceed the character’s druid level.

Darrin
2014-09-19, 07:21 AM
Does Totem Shape even work as written? It doesn't include any kind of caveat to replace Wild Shape's HD cap or size limits. If I want to go Bear Totem, can I even use my main class feature until level three? (Black Bear has 3HD.) Or could I just go straight for Brown Bear (6HD, Large) or Polar Bear (8HD, Large) from level 1? And then when I get Dire Totem Shape at level 6, do I have to wait another six levels to use Dire Bear (12HD)?

I... can't tell what the designers intended here. On one hand, "the same rules as wild shape" include the limitations. On the other hand, the totem shape rules appear to be a specific exception with the idea that a restriction on what forms you can wild shape into should go along with some sort of power boost to offset the restriction. On the gripping hand, it would be absolutely insane to allow access to a 16HD Dire Tiger or 18HD Dire Shark at ECL 6.

My best guess is the designer didn't realize how insane this was, and you should keep the size/HD restrictions in place. Thus, Dire Wolf will be available at ECL 6, but Dire Tiger isn't available until ECL 16... so if you're playing a low-level campaign, don't pick the tiger as your tribe's totem animal.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-19, 07:51 AM
It's not like you get the forms HD or hitpoints, so it isn't all that insane. A Dire Tiger makes an okay melee form, but you pay a lot for it in the form of versatility. And the best wild shape forms aren't even on the list.

Ignoring the HD restriction is pretty much the only way this variant is worth anything. Taking a strong totem animal already means you have to spend most of your low levels without an animal companion. So you get a large form with 27 Str and 3 attacks + pounce/rake at level 6. Big deal, it doesn't even have reach. Or any good (Ex) abilities to nab with Enhance Wild Shape.

For reference, a normal druid can turn into a Fleshraker (really doesn't need explanation), Dire Eagle (only 20 Str, but flight and 10ft reach) or a ton of utility forms.
A few levels later he gets things like the Warbound Impaler, Briarvex, Ironthorn, Myconid Sovereign, Shambling Mound and loads of other forms. The totem druid is still stuck with his crappy dire tiger.
And that's not even counting things like Aberration Wild Shape, which offers some very sick melee forms even before Enhance Wild Shape and its access to (Ex) abilities (of which normal animals have few, if any, you couldn't get somewhere else).

Totem druids get free Natural Spell, speaking in wild shape and the ability to use the celestial template at higher levels without taking Exalted Wild Shape in exchange. The boost to the animal companion isn't even worth a full 2HD upgrade.
In short, totem druids are already getting less. Giving them their animal forms at the indicated levels regardless of HD at least lets them shine a little at the lower levels. After level 7-9 they're hopelessly behind the standard druid.

Uzgul
2014-09-19, 08:15 AM
As i read it, you can use this wildshape on level 1, no matter the limitations.
The rules of standart wild shape apply with one exception: you can only transform into your totem animal, which includes that you can do so.

For example: if someone can only lift 10 pounds, he is able to lift 10 pounds.