PDA

View Full Version : Wings of Flying

Yahzi
2007-03-12, 01:10 AM
In my 3.0 DMG, these are Caster Level 5 and 5,500 gp.

In the 3.5 SRD, they are Caster Level 10 and 54,000 gp.

Is this a typo?

jlousivy
2007-03-12, 01:15 AM
Typo in the 3.0 DMG (i hope) because the boots of flying cost more

Fizban
2007-03-12, 01:57 AM
3.0 is in error. If you look at the item creation rules, you can see that a 3rd level spell at will/continuously costs more than 30k. Adding in the new rule that 1 min/level spells cost twice that and you're atually getting a price break.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-03-12, 09:11 PM
I dont really have anything to add, since Fizban said it so well, but I have to say, these wings sure have a goofy name.

Deathcow
2007-03-12, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, it typo'd in two different places. Which, coincidentally, is why every single 3.0 character I ever played had a pair of them.

Kantolin
2007-03-12, 09:25 PM
Yeah... quite a few things ramped up in price between 3.0 and 3.5

*Grumblecakes* Like gloves of storage *Grumblecakes* Making them from kinda cool to utterly useless.

Aximili
2007-03-12, 09:47 PM
And Hat of Disguise. From cheap and amazing to cheap and very useful (no, I'm not complaining).

Dausuul
2007-03-13, 10:14 AM
You ask me, 54K is way too much. By the time you can afford to dump that much money on being able to fly continuously, the party wizard can just cast teleport.

I might spring for 25K, maybe even 30, but 54? No way. Not unless I was level 20+ with money to burn.

At 16K, the winged boots are much more reasonably priced IMO. For overland movement, get a broom of flying for 17K.

Aximili
2007-03-13, 03:09 PM
You ask me, 54K is way too much. By the time you can afford to dump that much money on being able to fly continuously, the party wizard can just cast teleport.
fly = teleport?

I always thought of flying boots/wings as items to be used by non-casters for aerial fights.
There are cheaper and better ways to move great distances than an item of continuous flying.

kamikasei
2007-03-13, 03:47 PM
Indeed, the point of flight is not the movement speed or the ability to avoid difficult terrain but the tactical options it gives a character in combat.

Fizban
2007-03-13, 07:26 PM
Yeah... quite a few things ramped up in price between 3.0 and 3.5

*Grumblecakes* Like gloves of storage *Grumblecakes* Making them from kinda cool to utterly useless.
Cheer up, from what I've read over on WoTC's site they've been cutting costs on a lot of items for the Magic Item Compendium. The reasoning being that no one ever uses anythig but "the big 6", your ability enhancers, weapons, cloak of protection etc, so they've been taking items that cost too much to be practical and revamping them. One poster said there was a bit of a 3/day uses theme going on, and another item got cut down to less than half it's orignal price because they brought it down to 1/day instead of continuous.

RaistlinandPals
2007-03-14, 12:20 AM
Monk + Wings of Flying + Spring attack = Awesome.

Ardantis
2007-03-14, 12:46 AM
actually, the Monk would need "Fly-by attack" the monster feat to do what you're thinking.

Ardantis
2007-03-14, 12:55 AM
Also, since it's cheaper to buy a bunch of lower-level items than one big one, I usually spring for a couple of stat/AC enhancers and then save up for items that give me more of a tactical advantage rather than numerical. Perhaps it's just my play style, but I see much more utility in a Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) than in a +2 weapon, and they cost about the same.

Then again, I generally play Bards and Rogues, which are far more likely to avoid or at the very least postpone combat than any other class (besides a beguiler.)

Rigeld2
2007-03-14, 08:10 AM
actually, the Monk would need "Fly-by attack" the monster feat to do what you're thinking.
No, Fly-by Attack is just more advantageous. Spring Attack doesnt limit what type of movement you have to make, while Fly-by Attack does.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-14, 02:07 PM
Though, if you don't have superior reach, Spring Attack would have the advantage of negating attacks of opportunity from the opponent you attack, something Flyby Attack doesn't do.