PDA

View Full Version : Compensating cleric for an unusual campaign setting?

Sindeloke
2014-09-19, 08:32 AM
So undead aren't really a thing in my campaign world, except in one particular region where many people specialize to fight them and no one else really ever even goes. Also, the gods are distant and obscure and may not even exist, and aren't in the business of handing out weekly miracles to any robed nutjob who prays to them.

In 3.path I never found the undead thing to be an issue, because feats were cheap,turn was complicated, divine feats were plentiful and clerics were pretty OP anyway and didn't feel the loss. But just looking at the table for clerics in the 5e PHB and how often the word "undead" pops up makes the turn undead feature feel very significant and therefore a bit mean to make useless, and of course the miracle thing is tied to their capstone. I could refluff that much I suppose as just a <20% of getting a free random spell through whatever same magic fuels their other spells, but that feels... weird, and still leaves the turning as a signature and yet utterly useless feature for 90% of the campaign. I'm thinking of just letting them have one extra channel divinity from a second domain, does that seem like too much? Too little? Would giving them two domains worth of features and then letting them cast the second doman's spells as well as a capstone be a fair replacement for Turn Undead+Divine Intervention?

Fwiffo86
2014-09-19, 08:40 AM
Some responses:

1) reconfigure channel divinity into an entirely new ability. Something like... taking a single target spell and buffing up (x) party members within 25 feet using the slot and the channel.

2) actually use undead out of their designated region. Certainly a large story potential there.

3) just because gods may or may not exist should have absolutely no effect on D&D characters. Personally, I think divine intervention should be exceptionally rare (they are already weilding magic granted from beyond after all). And I have always held the opinion that no mortal can actually understand a divine being. Similar to an ant attempting to understand a human.

4) take a page from 3.x and used divine channel to turn other things, like abberations, or true evil, or whatever.

5) most clerics have a additional use for divine channel, just let them do it +1 time or something.

6) all of the above applies to paladins as well.

Yorrin
2014-09-19, 08:43 AM
If your character/gods have enough subtlety to them that more than one Domain's turn undead use fits them then I see no problem with it. Most of the Turns aren't anything near overpowered.

One other thought would be to look into the Paladin class for new uses for Turn. If something like Turn the Faithless from Oath of Ancients fits your world better that might be a good option. Otherwise Abjure Enemy from Oath of Vengeance would be pretty universally useful.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-19, 12:00 PM
I don't really think its a big issue, there's several powerful uses for Channel Divinity in each domain. You are more limited by Channel Divinity's restrictions than by the options you have.

but, if you do want to change it and you are pretty much certain there won't be undead, I would let them choose a god-appropriate group for Turn to work against. Aberrations, fey, other abnormal groups.

Ebon2014
2014-09-19, 12:49 PM
You could always bite the bullet, drop the Cure spells on the Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock lists and cut the cleric out as a class. Or bolster the druid with some healing/'Life Domain'-like abilities.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-19, 01:18 PM
What kinds of enemies would be in this campaign?

With the lack of Undead, Clerics might have developed skills against other types of enemies.

You could also ignore it, since every Cleric gets other (less narrow) options for their Channel Divinity.