PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Elf Variant

Easy_Lee
2014-09-19, 11:06 AM
I am trying to build a druidic elf variant for the purpose of a character concept: silent guardian of nature. Was hoping to get some opinions on the idea.

For type, I'm thinking either nature-touched, deep forest, half-dryad, or one of the previous edition subraces (the usual ones like wild, sun, and aquatic don't really fit). I could also ask my GM to allow custom race: Sylvari, which would fit the bill nicely. Alternatively, it could just be a wood elf whose parents were both druid and thus has a closer connection to nature (though found he/she had little talent for the craft).

Stats are identical to wood elf save the bonus move speed. Instead of speed, the race goes in the spirit of high elves and takes one cantrip from the druid list, casting stat is wisdom.

I realize there are other options to achieve this, but none really fit the concept until later levels (and sacrifice quite a bit in the process).

What do you think? Would you allow a subrace like this at a table you ran? Are there any subraces you know of from previous editions that would fit the concept?

DrLemniscate
2014-09-19, 11:33 AM
I am trying to build a druidic elf variant for the purpose of a character concept: silent guardian of nature. Was hoping to get some opinions on the idea.

For type, I'm thinking either nature-touched, deep forest, half-dryad, or one of the previous edition subraces (the usual ones like wild, sun, and aquatic don't really fit). I could also ask my GM to allow custom race: Sylvari, which would fit the bill nicely. Alternatively, it could just be a wood elf whose parents were both druid and thus has a closer connection to nature (though found he/she had little talent for the craft).

Stats are identical to wood elf save the bonus move speed. Instead of speed, the race goes in the spirit of high elves and takes one cantrip from the druid list, casting stat is wisdom.

I realize there are other options to achieve this, but none really fit the concept until later levels (and sacrifice quite a bit in the process).

What do you think? Would you allow a subrace like this at a table you ran? Are there any subraces you know of from previous editions that would fit the concept?

What are you trying to do with this character? Druid? Paladin Oath of the Ancients? Monk? There are a few ways to achieve this.

Also, what cantrip are you trying to get?

MustacheFart
2014-09-19, 11:38 AM

My only issue would be with the two parts I made bold. You stated you were found to have no talent for the craft yet you expect to be able to cast a cantrip from the druid list. I'd call that talent. Just my opinion though.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-19, 11:41 AM
I would definitely not allow this at my table. It's not broken, it's just that there's no reason to do it aside from min-maxing. It doesn't add anything thematically since Wood Elves thematically fit all of the nature-based classes already. You're just trying to squeeze out another cantrip. Screw that.

Inevitability
2014-09-19, 11:55 AM
I think that at my table, I'd just change the High Elf ability boost to wisdom and swap their wizard cantrip to a druid cantrip.

Easy_Lee
2014-09-19, 12:08 PM
What are you trying to do with this character? Druid? Paladin Oath of the Ancients? Monk? There are a few ways to achieve this.

Also, what cantrip are you trying to get?

Trying to pick up Shillelagh as a way to get it on a rogue for HotDQ. Ultimate goal is to build a thief-acrobat type character that still does good damage. Would eventually be a mix of shadow monk and thief or assassin rogue.

There are other ways to build a more busted version of the character, of course. Druid 1 fighter 1 with ~ 18 Dec and wis, dual wielder, and stealth skill profs produces a character who can dual wield light clubs that become 1d8 and add dex+wis. Eventually go shadow monk (in a longer campaign) for 21 ac naked and other benefits.

Point is, there are plenty of more min-maxy ways to build the character with core alone. I was just trying to opt for something simple that doesn't feel minmaxed. This is the easiest way I can think of to build a competent thief-acrobat.

The paladin option sounds promising, though I might suffer some MAD. Would ranger be able to pull this off?

Easy_Lee
2014-09-19, 12:10 PM
I think that at my table, I'd just change the High Elf ability boost to wisdom and swap their wizard cantrip to a druid cantrip.

That's basically what I was going for, though the wood elf hide in foliage trick fits the theme a little better. My only concern is that the hide trick is a bit more useful than a bonus language, and I don't want to create an OP race.

MustacheFart
2014-09-19, 12:20 PM
Trying to pick up Shillelagh as a way to get it on a rogue for HotDQ. Ultimate goal is to build a thief-acrobat type character that still does good damage. Would eventually be a mix of shadow monk and thief or assassin rogue.

There are other ways to build a more busted version of the character, of course. Druid 1 fighter 1 with ~ 18 Dec and wis, dual wielder, and stealth skill profs produces a character who can dual wield light clubs that become 1d8 and add dex+wis. Eventually go shadow monk (in a longer campaign) for 21 ac naked and other benefits.

Point is, there are plenty of more min-maxy ways to build the character with core alone. I was just trying to opt for something simple that doesn't feel minmaxed. This is the easiest way I can think of to build a competent thief-acrobat.

The paladin option sounds promising, though I might suffer some MAD. Would ranger be able to pull this off?

One question: How would you be adding dex and wis to your attacks? I thought Shillelagh replaced your attacking stat with your casting stat so wis instead of dex.

If you're wanting a thief/acrobat with Shillelagh then just go the obvious route. Pick human, use the variant, and grab the Magic Initiate feat to get Shillelagh. As a human you can come up with whatever frakking backstory you want. Humans are everywhere. Then there's not need for customizing.

Easy_Lee
2014-09-19, 12:32 PM
One question: How would you be adding dex and wis to your attacks? I thought Shillelagh replaced your attacking stat with your casting stat so wis instead of dex.

If you're wanting a thief/acrobat with Shillelagh then just go the obvious route. Pick human, use the variant, and grab the Magic Initiate feat to get Shillelagh. As a human you can come up with whatever frakking backstory you want. Humans are everywhere. Then there's not need for customizing.

Picking human is the backup choice since elf just fits the theme better.

I was under the impression (from reading the forums) that shillelagh added wis, and didn't replace attacking stat. If you're right, then there would be no reason to take the spell, and I would just opt for a standard rogue monk combo instead.