PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy modifiers

Nightgaun7
2014-09-19, 11:07 AM
Where can I find a list of modifiers for a Diplomacy roll other than the attitude of the NPC? There ought to be a list for situations like "asking NPC to do something life threatening" or "Asking NPC to do something he's morally opposed to" or even "Asking NPC to pet a kitten" but I've not found it yet.

Kurald Galain
2014-09-19, 11:16 AM
Where can I find a list of modifiers for a Diplomacy roll other than the attitude of the NPC? There ought to be a list for situations like "asking NPC to do something life threatening" or "Asking NPC to do something he's morally opposed to" or even "Asking NPC to pet a kitten" but I've not found it yet.

4E doesn't have rules this detailed for any skill.

Kimera757
2014-09-19, 12:31 PM
I just steal these rules: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html

Inevitability
2014-09-19, 01:45 PM
I think the developers learned from the horror that was 3.5's diplomacy rules. 'What, so I can non-magically enslave each sentinent being, starting at level 1'?

Kurald Galain
2014-09-19, 03:47 PM
I think the developers learned from the horror that was 3.5's diplomacy rules. 'What, so I can non-magically enslave each sentinent being, starting at level 1'?

Ironically, at some point in the 5E playtest you could do precisely that, again :smallbiggrin:

Nightgaun7
2014-09-19, 04:03 PM
Problem I have is a player trying to use diplomacy to convince NPCs to do something extremely unhealthy if not outright lethal. He has a really high Diplomacy check and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Kimera757
2014-09-19, 04:16 PM
Problem I have is a player trying to use diplomacy to convince NPCs to do something extremely unhealthy if not outright lethal. He has a really high Diplomacy check and I'm not sure how to handle it.

The GitP rules would assign at least a -10 penalty to that, possibly more based on relationship. For 4e, you could make the DC hard for the NPC's level and then assign a -10 penalty for a suicidal request.

Furthermore, I'd make it a skill challenge. Getting lucky once happens more often than getting lucky several times. Also, if the PC has an ability that boost a single Diplomacy check, this reduces its impact. (In my own game, I have a half-elf who can give a +4 to any skill check. This gets uses a lot.)

Tegu8788
2014-09-19, 09:41 PM
A crit is a success. But not always the success you want. That's how I run things. You diplomance your way into a massive success, good job.

But you also have to talk it out. What you say moves the DC in my games.

This means, if you crit and tell the self repairing robots you are there to do maintenance, they aren't going to shut down and let you "fix" them. But they are certainly going to be confused for a bit, which will give you a surprise round. Maybe you can convince a dragon that you really believe that it's in danger if it stays in it's cave, but that doesn't mean the dragon agrees. It will, however, treat you favorably.

So, if a player is trying to use Diplomacy to Dominate, I'm looking him or her square in the eye, and I'm gonna be just as cheesy. My players know I adjust to their level. Bring a Blackguard, Binder, and Vampire and I'll have a dark, shadowy horror game full of lvl-2 fights. Bring a Wizard, Ranger, and Warlord, and they are gonna find everything is lvl+4. Whatever level they bring, I make it a challenge. You use a trick, and don't be surprised if the organized monsters learn.