PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] The Valley of Obelisks IC Thread

SudoDragon
2014-09-19, 11:48 AM
Welcome to Sumberton!

http://i.imgur.com/estmAfu.jpg

The sun is shining on a beautiful early spring morning in the city of Sumberton. The streets are busy with merchants, customers, guardsmen, laborers and other people going about their lives as the planting season gets underway. The winter had been particularly brutal, with many heavy snows and plunging temperatures, so it's no surprise that the streets are crowded on what many consider the first truly representative day of spring. The river is swelling from the melting snows upstream, so the vital waterway trade is bustling as well with many barges, riverboats, fishermen, and other watercraft. Outside the city, the many fields and orchards are filled with farmers and laborers busy with the next round of new crop planting.

A group of individuals is making their way through the city from different places, summoned to a small but pleasant street-side cafe with a dozen pleasant wrought iron tables with polished wooden tops and similarly designed chairs, some designed for halflings and others for taller folk. Various plants and vines drape from trellises and hanging planters, creating an inviting place to sit, chat, and dine. The Summer Grove Cafe is popular among the residents for its baked pastries and hot teas, and as a retreat from the comparative chaos of the city.

Most of the tables are occupied with diners happily discussing current affairs and gossip and two serving women wind their way expertly through the tables, attending to the customers. However, two of the taller tables have been pulled together and a red-haired halfling woman is sitting there, waiting patiently and sipping tea from a delicate white and green stoneware cup in her right hand. She is in a simple but well-made dark red and yellow dress, and is obviously lost in thought as the fingers of her left hand idly play with a folded tent sign on the table that reads "Reserved". Six empty chairs surround the two tables. Those who approach her think she must look remarkably like her mother in her younger years, the now-retired adventurer Kenra Halfoak. However, this is Merrilyn, the elder Halfoak's daughter and whom now acts as administrator of her estate's affairs.

http://i.imgur.com/gkNLdot.jpg

Woggle
2014-09-19, 03:11 PM
Dalrian Lightfoot

The warm spring sun shines down on a young Halfling with short, curly brown hair as he makes his way through the bustling streets of Sumberton. His cloak slung over his shoulder and his trusty riding-dog at his side, Dalrian Lightfoot gazes idly about as he approaches the Summer Grove Cafe, his eyes a-twinkle and a half-smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "It sure is nice to have winter over with, eh Grip?" Dalrian inquires of his canine companion, while scratching him behind the ears. Rounding the street corner, the Summer Grove Cafe comes into view and Dalrian waves cheerily at the Halfling waiting at the tables.

Dalrian ties up Grip near the reserved tables, giving him a pat on the head, then turns to greet Merrilyn warmly: "It's a pleasure to see you again, Merrilyn, and I do hope that your mother remains in good health. I suppose you want to wait for the others to arrive before explaining what this is all about." Dalrian sits back comfortably in his chair, enjoying the sun, and making light conversation with Merrilyn while waiting for the rest of the invitees.

I'm assuming that Dalrian and Merrilyn would have met at least once over the past few years. Hope that's alright :smallsmile:.

drayen
2014-09-19, 03:30 PM
*Phyx Kendaer*

The hood of his grey cloak up against the light and heat of the noonday sun the young half-elf walks the lanes of Sumberton at a measured pace. Eventually he arrives at the cafe of his summons. To his surprise, the halfling Dalrian is sitting at the table with Merrilyn Halfoak. His curiosity furthered piqued by this strange turn of events, he smiles as he approaches. "Hello, Merrilyn Halfoak. How do I find you this sunny spring day? I see you also know Master Lightfoot. It is good to see you again, Dalrian."

Phyx politely waits for Merrilyn to return his greeting and offer him a seat before presuming to sit.

Woggle
2014-09-19, 05:48 PM
Dalrian Lightfoot

"Likewise," replies Dalrian. "Fancy meeting you here, too."

Samshiir
2014-09-19, 06:39 PM
Kaith Sheyzan

A young man with short, dark hair and mid-toned skin that suggests a mixed heritage stands in front of the Summer Grove Café. He is wearing a set of loose-fitting multi-layered grey and white robes that feel as natural on his body as his own skin.

Kaith Sheyzan tightened the leather strap of the katana strapped to his side. The katana had once belonged to his great-grandfather, Xihou Gongshu, and was passed down through the generations until, only recently, it had finally arrived in Kaith's worthy hands.

It began when a letter arrived for the Sheyzan family from Kenra Halfoak, a long-time friend of Kaith's parents, Anderyn and Celeste Sheyzan. It was a letter summoning Anderyn to a small shop called the Summer Grove Café in Sumberton. Rather than answering the summons, Anderyn decided to send his only child, Kaith, to answer the summons in his place.

Although he didn't know why he was being sent in his place, Kaith was not one to disobey his father, so he packed his gear and set out to Sumberton to take Anderyn's place at the summoning.

Realizing that he had been standing in front of the Café for over a minute, causing people to walk around him, Kaith sighs and approaches an empty seat where a few other members called to the summoning sit.

Social interactions was not Kaith's strong suit, so he planned to open with a short sentence, hoping that someone else would quickly steer the conversation away from him. He also hoped that nobody would recognize that he wasn't Anderyn, the person the letter had requested.

"Hello." Kaith says with a mature voice before taking a seat. A moment later he realizes that his introduction was too short and he was expected to say more. "My... name is Kaith Sheyzan."

Kaith noted two things in his mind. The first was that he didn't recognize anyone currently at the table, which wasn't very surprising. The second was that the halfling woman seemed too very young to be the woman that had once been an adventurer alongside his parents.

Athaleon
2014-09-19, 11:51 PM
The next to enter was a fair-haired, fresh-faced young man who walked in tentatively, as if he wasn't sure he was in the right place. "Hello," he began wiith a small wave and a sheepish smile, addressing no one in particular. "I got this letter... Ms. Halfoak asked to meet me here?"

DeRerumNatura
2014-09-20, 12:58 AM
A young woman comes running through the door, slender and petite, with a dusky skin, brown almond shaped eyes and long black hair her Dragon Empire heritage is obvious.
She is clothed in dark red robes a dark green long coat, wearing a black rune inscribed staff in her right hand.
Her habitual smiles lits up as she sees Kaith and she steps up to hug him
How are you?
This done she turns to the rest of the table and sitting down greets them.

Good morning, Dalrian, Morning Merrilyn, how is your mother and also good morning to everyone else, I am Xuesheng Gongshou from the Scriveners Guild. .

Samshiir
2014-09-20, 06:46 AM
Kaith returned his second cousin's embrace warmly. It was nice to see a familiar face here, at least.

"It's good to see you, Xuesheng."

Cardea
2014-09-20, 10:47 PM
A small trail of smoke grows from the open robed man. He walks slowly, looks around him lazily, and smiles comfortably, enjoying the smoke in his lungs mingling with the fresh season air. Sumberton. A nice place. A nice valley. Full of untouched wilderness and ore veins and materials, all ripe for the taking and harvesting. Each day was slow, saving his money for when he could get an operation going, but each day was more welcoming than the last. The letter from Halfoak was an oddity, but oddities were his trade, and maybe this would help him get both feet forward now, instead of one foot forward later. He comes upon the cafe, taking stronger, deeper breaths, to fill his lungs, and then pushes out the cinders with his thumb. He spends a moment, outside, admiring the hound tied up outside, before heading inside himself. He smiles when he sees Xuesheng and Phyx, feeling more at ease to see two of his favored customers here. "Allo allo allo," he says, seating himself. "T'ain' it a good 'ting to see fav'rite buyers. People ahminin to trust already, aye? Mornin' tae y'all of yae. Ahm Ueya, herb'list, alch'mist."

drayen
2014-09-21, 08:25 AM
Phyx smiles at the newcomer. "Hello, Ueya. It's good to see another familiar face."

Woggle
2014-09-21, 11:24 AM
Dalrian rises to great each newcomer warmly as they arrive. He is somewhat surprised to see that Xuesheng has also been summoned by Kenra Halfoak. "It's great to see you once more, Xue," Dalrian says to the young wizard. "It's a pleasure to meet you all," He adds, turning to the rest of the guests.

SudoDragon
2014-09-22, 12:21 AM
Merrilyn seems to remain deep in thought as Dalrian arrives and says his greeting. After a moment, she shakes her head a moment as if clearing her thoughts and smiles at the approaching outrider. She sets her mug of tea down on the table gently and gestures to one of the empty chairs around the table. "Hello Dalrian. It's good to see you as well. Thank you for responding to mother's letter! Please, have a seat and order something if you like. The others should hopefully be here shortly..."

After the server comes around to take Dalrian's order, Merrilyn engages him in friendly chit-chat but does not divulge anything about the nature or reason of the summons. After about five minutes of this pleasant conversation - of which she seems extremely capable and comfortable - Phyx arrives. "Ah, I didn't realize the two of you knew each other. Good to see you Phyx! Please join us. There should be a few more joining us in time." She goes on to extend the same offer to order anything from the menu that she had made to Dalrian, and then idle conversation continues among the three of them for about two minutes.

Then, Merrilyn looks up inquiringly at the stranger saying hello. With a slight tilt of her head, she simultaneously but wordlessly questions the man and urges him to continue. When he awkwardly says, "My... name is Kaith Sheyzan," she still looks confused for a second longer. Then her eyes widen in recognition, "Ah! Anderyn's son, if I'm not mistaken?" She stands from her seat and extends her hand for a firm handshake in greeting. "I'm Merrilyn. Kenra Halfoak is my mother. Thank you for coming!" After exchanging pleasantries, and being privately amused at Kaith's social difficulties, she stops as if realizing something. "Is your father in good health? I was told that he would be among those that would respond."

Again, a few moments passed before the next person arrived to answer the letter. As Variel hesitantly introduces himself, she nods in affirmation. "I apologize that she cannot be here to meet you in person. I'll address that in short order once everyone has arrived. But I am her daughter, Merrilyn. I run her and her estate's day-to-day affairs these days. By your appearance, you would be Variel of house Arcatus?" At his acknowledgement, she smiles and asks for him to have a seat and join her and the others.

Once more, the server strolled by the table with the ever-growing number of customers and delivered the previous orders and took any new orders. "My treat," Merrilyn informs everyone pleasantly and idle conversation continues among the five of them. When Xue arrives, she smiles warmly at the mage of the Scriveners' Guild. "Hello and good morning, Xuesheng. I see you know Kaith?" she says questioningly, then continues. "Thank you for coming. We're waiting for one more person to arrive, so please have a seat and have some tea and anything you like from the Cafe. I'm buying, but once the last person arrives we'll get down to the reason everyone has come," she says pleasantly, seemingly unconcerned with repeating herself several times.

When the alchemist Ueya arrives, she greets him warmly. "Good morning, Ueya. I'm Merrilyn, the lady Kenra Halfoak's daughter and estate administrator. Thank you for joining us. We're sitting down to some tea and pastries, so please join us if it suits you." Then she begins to make the rounds, allowing everyone to introduce themselves as they finish breakfast. She allows conversation to continue for the next fifteen to twenty minutes, keeping the conversation steered away from anything to do with the letters at first. She happily answers any other questions in regards to what she does, her role as Kenra's estate and business manager, and adds to any amusing stories and anecdotes that may arise.

Sense Motive success (I rolled privately). Phyx realizes that while the conversation is very light and pleasant, Merrilyn seems to be rather shrewdly assessing everyone. She is paying very close attention to everyone's behavior, statements, and general conversation...and simultaneously, while outwardly she seems very relaxed, she's obviously quite stressed about something.

As a member of the Scriveners' Guild, Xue knows that Merrilyn was once a member of the guild but resigned willingly and amicably about two years ago. Her talents were more natural versus learned. (That is, she's some manner of spontaneous caster.)

You know that a servant of the Halfoak estate occasionally but not regularly buys alchemical and herbal supplies from Donra's (your mentor and adoptive father mentioned in your background) shop. However within the last week or two, her servant has been coming by with greater frequency.

After the conversation continues for a little less than a half hour, she finally takes a deep breath and sighs. "I realize that you are probably wondering why you're here. The truth is...I was the one who wrote those letters to you. My mother..." she stops to look around casually, her fingers tapping against the side of the teacup, and then lowers her voice slightly so that only those gathered at the table can hear. Her eyes have a slight sparkle to them, as if holding back tears and trying to keep herself composed. "She's not well at all. I know that all of you were known to my mother and that she had nothing but compliments for each of you...well, except as I said, my mother - or rather, I - sent for Kaith's father, as he's the only surviving member of her old adventuring company. However Kaith, I'll gladly accept your aid, as I and my mother have nothing but the highest respect for your family. I kept the letter intentionally vague, as I suspect someone, or potentially multiple people, have targeted my mother. I can't prove it, but that's partially why I've asked for you all," she pauses, obviously still struggling to contain her emotions. Then, after another surreptitious look around, she continues, "I have to act as though nothing is amiss. The gossip spreads quickly around town, but I haven't heard anyone mention her condition yet...and really I'd like to keep it that way. So, in essence...I'm asking if you'd be willing to repay my mom for her previous kindness. But I am also asking if you'd keep anything I tell you from here on in the strictest confidence?"

Then she eagerly waits for everyone to respond...

Athaleon
2014-09-22, 04:09 AM
"Count me in", Variel spoke up immediately, with no trace of his previous hesitancy. "We never really spoke, but I understand how much she helped me. And I never found out why." Looking Merrilyn in the eyes, he adds "You'll have my help, and my discretion".

Woggle
2014-09-22, 11:47 AM
Dalrian Lightfoot

As Dalrian listened to Merrilyn's words, the warmth of the spring sun seemed to drain from the sky. He sat stone-faced for a moment, his previous joyful expression nowhere to be seen, before replying quietly: "I am forever indebted to your mother, and so I will do everything within my power to help you now." Dalrian then sat back down, his brow furrowed, a brooding look clouding his face.

Cardea
2014-09-22, 12:03 PM
"T'ain' no worries," Ueya says, flashing a smile, leaning forward. "Y'got me. Customer loyalty, ay."

Samshiir
2014-09-22, 08:32 PM
"Ah! Anderyn's son, if I'm not mistaken?" She stands from her seat and extends her hand for a firm handshake in greeting.

Kaith, with an awkward politeness, stands halfway up from his seat and returns the handshake. "Yes, I am Kaith. Anderyn's son."

"Is your father in good health? I was told that he would be among those that would respond."

"My father is well..." Kaith gestures at the katana at his side. "Once I inherited his blade, so too did I inherit his responsibilities. What is your excuse? Where is your mother?"

Based on Merrilyn's expression, Kaith knew he had already struck a nerve before the completion of his sentence. Instead of making the situation worse, he decided to remain silent until spoken to again. Luckily, Merrilyn didn't answer his question, at least for a while, and casual conversation resumed.

"I know that all of you were known to my mother and that she had nothing but compliments for each of you...well, except as I said, my mother - or rather, I - sent for Kaith's father, as he's the only surviving member of her old adventuring company. However Kaith, I'll gladly accept your aid, as I and my mother have nothing but the highest respect for your family.

Kaith nodded his head appreciatively.

"I kept the letter intentionally vague, as I suspect someone, or potentially multiple people, have targeted my mother. I can't prove it, but that's partially why I've asked for you all,"

Then she eagerly waits for everyone to respond...

Kaith's mind became fogged with questions. The warrior slowly leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes to help calm his mind and organize his thoughts.

Who would target Kenra Halfoak, a retired halfling? Old adventuring adversaries, perhaps? If so, it would be logical that father could be in danger, as well. Also, why are they targeting her? Political gain? Revenge for something in the past? So many questions, and so many answers to seek. A mystery. A challenge.

He opened his eyes again. For the first time since the beginning of the meeting, Kaith Sheyzan looked the halfing in the eyes and spoke with true confidence. "Miss Halfoak, our families before us have built trust, respect, and friendship toward each other. It would be an honor to continue that tradition into the future. My blade and my mind are yours."

drayen
2014-09-23, 12:14 AM
Phyx considers the halfling's words before finally nodding his assent. "Agreed, Miss Halfoak. What is the nature of the aid which you require of us?"

SudoDragon
2014-09-23, 09:38 PM
Merrilyn nods, smiles sadly and gives a gentle unsure shrug towards Variel. "I'm afraid I'm not sure of my mother's intent on many things. With any luck, soon you'll be able to ask her yourself. However," she pauses with a heavy sigh, "as you can guess, she's sadly in no condition to answer at present. But thank you for your most appreciated help."

As Dalrian gives his heartfelt and earnest response, the halfling woman smiles a bit more, though the sadness is still evident on her features. "Thank you ever so much, Dalrian. You may know that mother has come to think of you almost as the son she never had. And so it pleases me - and I'm confident her as well - to no end to hear that you will help."

Merrilyn swivels her head to look at Ueya as he gives his consent as well. She chuckles, albeit briefly and subdued. "Well, if you can figure out what has happened to mother and help her, then I can guarantee that customer relationship will only grow stronger. On that, you have my word."

Then she puts a hand to her heart in thanks to Kaith with an appreciative smile. "I certainly thank you...thank all of you...for your response to my letters and to agreeing to help. It seems that the Sheyzan family is very much indeed a proud and noble line - one I'm glad to call friends." She sighs sadly then, and stops speaking further as the server comes back with a fresh teapot and leaves with a light curtsy. Merrilyn pours a fresh serving and leisurely enjoys a couple sips as she watches the cafe a bit more.

Afterward, she fingers the rim of her tea mug while returning her gaze to Kaith. "I certainly hope that your blade will not be necessary, but...w...well, I fear that it may come to that."

At which point, she turns to Phyx as well, who'd just given his assent. "Well, th...that's the trouble of it, Phyx. I'm not...certain. These matters are well...be... beyond my comprehension. So it's perhaps...errm, best if I let you...uh...see for..." She stops speaking then and stands slowly and unsurely, leaning heavily on the wood and wrought-iron table. "I..." she says almost in a whisper, then falls to the side limply, her head hitting and bouncing off the cobblestones below with a sickly thwack sound. Then she begins violently convulsing, the blood from her head wound starting to run free and staining the stones with a rich red color.

A chorus of gasps erupt around the cafe and from the street as people crane their necks to see what the fuss is about.

Cardea
2014-09-23, 10:03 PM
"Ay'ya!" Ueya yells, rushing to the woman's side. He pulls a cloth from his satchel and places it under the woman's head, and places her head on his lap. His mind rushes to things he could use, things he could give. All his tools were at the shop, all his ingredients were at the shop. What was going on with her?

Heal to stabilize/know what is going on: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]
K. Nature: [roll2]

Woggle
2014-09-23, 10:34 PM
Momentarily stunned, Dalrian snaps to action, kneeling beside Ueya, and offering any aide he can. "Poison? Perhaps one of us should seek the aide of a healer or apothecary?" Dalrian glances up to the rest of the group.

[roll0] To stabilize, or as an Aide another if anyone else does a healing check.
[roll1] To Identify a possible cause of the convulsions, if caused by some natural source (poison, etc)
[roll2] To notice anything unusual in the immediate area.

drayen
2014-09-24, 12:21 AM
At the halfling woman's collapse, Phyx starts from his seat. Staring at Merrilyn in shock he nearly misses Dalrian's exclamation. An idea forming, the half-elf begins to concentrate on the scene before him.

Athaleon
2014-09-24, 12:26 AM
Variel just stared in shock for a frozen moment, before looking around frantically for the server.

If he spots her, he will go after her directly. If not, he will go to the kitchen and see if she went into a back alley or something.

DeRerumNatura
2014-09-24, 06:29 AM
Swearing like a trooper Xue jumps up. Realizing that Dalrian and Ueya have the situation far better in hand then she ever could she looks for the server while asking desperately:
Can I get me anything from your shop, Ueya?

Perception roll to find the Waiter: 19
roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18157245&postcount=64)

Samshiir
2014-09-24, 06:51 AM
It seems Merrilyn's hunch was correct. Unfortunately, she just proved it and stepped directly into it.

At the moment, the only lead they had was most likely the servant that just served Merrilyn's last cup of tea just before she collapsed.

Kaith hoped she wasn't dead, but he needed to find that waiter. Kaith stood and scanned the area for his target.

Perception to find the servant:[roll0]

If it is a success, Kaith will move to and attempt to grapple the servant.

CMB to grapple: [roll1]

If the perception check fails, Kaith will stand vigilantly over the rest of the party as they investigate Merrilyn. He wasn't qualified as a medic, and will leave that for the others.

SudoDragon
2014-09-26, 11:41 PM
As Ueya pulled the cloth out of his satchel, he could not think of anything immediately that could cause such violent and terrible symptoms for the halfling woman. Unfortunately, as soon as he put the cloth down on the ground to cushion her head, she spasmed again in a flurry of stiff bodily jerks, her teeth clenched tightly and grunting, and the cloth was tossed to the side from the violent action.

Seizing on the opportunity, Dalrian grabs the cloth and instead, wraps the bandage around her forehead to try to stop the bleeding and has Ueya assist him in clearing the space around her so that she doesn't injure herself any further from her seizures. Frustratingly, no further rationale for her condition springs to mind. He surveys the scene to look for anything out of the ordinary, but other than the suspicious fresh pot of tea brought by the serving woman, nothing else felt "out of place".

Sure enough, Merrilyn's body, her shattered teacup, and the teapot all begin to glow to Phyx's eyes after he casts detect poison.

Speaking of the pot of tea, Variel and Xue decide to leave the care of the halfling woman to the two that are knelt by her and instead they look around for the server who brought it. It takes but a moment to spot her as she's perhaps twenty feet away, near the doorway leading into the cafe from this outer dining area, looking on the scene, absolutely horrified by the display. Her hand is to her mouth in shock and her eyes wide, a teacup gripped loosely in her other hand.

Seeing their eyes lock onto the server, Kaith springs into action and makes a beeline for her. However, as he approaches, instead of running she looks desperately at Kaith and asks, "What happened!?"

Meanwhile, the crowd begins to close around the spectacle and a murmur ripples through them. Out of sight at the edge of the crowd, a man is shouting frantically for the city guard. "They're attacking her! Guards! Guards!"

At which point, one of the bolder of the diners that are onlooking states a bit hesitantly, apparently mistaking their actions, "Hear now! Stay your hands from that woman! Back away!" He steps forward with a butter knife (still with some jam dribbling from the end) brandished like a weapon.

Athaleon
2014-09-27, 02:19 AM
"We're not attacking her!" Variel countered. "That tea she brought us was poisoned, we want to know by who." His hand was on the pommel of his sword, and he had to resist the urge to draw it.

Diplomacy to placate the samaritan: [roll0]

Sense Motive to see if the server is feigning shock: [roll1]

Ready action to draw sword if attacked.

SudoDragon
2014-09-27, 07:09 AM
The man that stepped forward lowers his butter knife, placated and a bit shamed. "I...I wasn't sure. I only wanted to help, chap," he says embarrassed.

That issue settled, Variel has a moment to study the reaction of the server. In his opinion, her trembling hands and wide, tear-filled eyes are genuine displays.

The other gawkers near him begin to murmur and whisper among themselves about the tea being poisoned and swiftly it begins to ripple through the crowd as many teacups are dropped or replaced on the table.

Samshiir
2014-09-27, 07:31 AM
Kaith ignores the woman's comment. Merrilyn was poisoned, and logic dictated that it was the servant tea that did it. With his target in sight, Kaith did not halt his charge to subdue her.

Continuing previous grapple.

SudoDragon
2014-09-27, 08:49 AM
The serving woman's green eyes widen as Kaith continues his charge. She lets out a high-pitched shriek as he grabs her and holds her in place, the teacup in her hand finally dropping and shattering on the cobblestones below. She struggles feebly against his superior strength to break free, yelling, "Wha...Hey! Ow! Release me! I've done nothin!"

Escape Artist check: [roll0]

Several of the onlookers gasp as they see this struggle ensue. A loud, deep male voice from within the cafe yells out, "OY! You let 'er go, NOW!" A dwarf with a graying red beard and wearing a flour and fruit-stained apron and chef's hat steps from within the building, brandishing a rolling pin as a club menacingly.

Cardea
2014-09-27, 09:13 AM
Ueya looks to the man holding the knife, scowling, and then to Dalrian. "I am an apothec'ry!" He reaches deep into his robes and pulls out a vial of antitoxin, the pricey mixture saved for situations such as these. The sting of losing it dulled in his mind. "I only havin' the one. You be givin', aye? Steadyin' hands, woodsman."

Heal to Aid Another to help treat Poison. If we can beat the DC with a Heal check, she gains a +2 bonus to resist its effects. [roll0] Edit: Ffffuuuuuu
Antitoxin will give +5 to her saves vs. the poison for an hour.

drayen
2014-09-27, 09:22 AM
"She is most definitely poisoned. It came from the tea she drank." The quiet half-elf murmured to the other two at the halfling's side.

Phyx begins to watch the teapot to ensure that it does not go missing.

Woggle
2014-09-27, 09:45 AM
Leaving the commotion among the gathering crowd to be dealt with by the others of the group, Dalrian remains knelt by Merrilyn's side. He nods in response to Ueya's words, "I'll give it," carefully taking the vial of antitoxin in his hands, and taking a deep breath to steady his nerves, applies it as best he can to Merrilyn's form.

[roll0] To apply antitoxin to aide Merrilyn to overcome the poison.
Edit: Don't think this will do, sorry guys :smalleek:

DeRerumNatura
2014-09-27, 04:52 PM
Several of the onlookers gasp as they see this struggle ensue. A loud, deep male voice from within the cafe yells out, "OY! You let 'er go, NOW!" A dwarf with a graying red beard and wearing a flour and fruit-stained apron and chef's hat steps from within the building, brandishing a rolling pin as a club menacingly.

Xue interposed herself between the angry dwarf and the struggle. One of your customer has been posioned. Your waitress brought the tea. Get the city guard.

Rolling diplomacy untrained:
[roll0]

Athaleon
2014-09-27, 05:53 PM
"Look at her!" Variel pointed back to Merrilyn, unconscious and bleeding on the floor. "If you don't believe us, go take a swig from that teapot yourself!"

Variel auto-succeeds Aid Another on Xue's Diplomacy check

Samshiir
2014-09-27, 09:51 PM
"OY! You let 'er go, NOW!"

"That isn't going to happen! Unh!" Kaith yells back at the dwarf as he struggles with the waitress to keep her under control. "And she is going to tell us who she is unless- Urnh! - Unless she wants a sip of her own tea!"

Kaith is trying to intimidate the girl with that last part.

[roll0]

SudoDragon
2014-09-28, 01:10 PM
Assuming I have everyone's positions correctly:
Ueya and Dalrian: kneeling by Merrilyn
Phyx: standing within five feet, watching them and the table with the teapot
Kaith: grappling with the serving woman, about twenty feet away from Merrilyn
Xue: standing between Kaith and the dwarf
Variel: standing next to Kaith

After making his threat, the woman in Kaith's grip altogether stops struggling and breaks into tears. She looks up at the dwarf with red, swollen eyes, "I'm so sorry <sniffle> Brendic! H...he's right. Oh, b...but I didn't know something like...that would happen! <sniffle> The guy...he...he said it was medicine! I swear! Oh gods, what have I done..." and she devolves into a blubbering, shuddering mess.

The graying dwarf, Brendic, lowers the rolling pin but gives the serving woman an angry look. "Ye've made a piss poor choice by the looks of it," he says gruffly as he moves to go past her, Xue and Kaith. He looks at Xue with a challenging glare, "Yer mind? I 'ave a customer to attend to," and pushes his way past the wizard.

Provided he's not barred from going any further, he arrives just as Dalrian and Ueya are administering the anti-toxin to the still-convulsing halfling. A trickle of blood is starting to issue forth from the corners of her mouth and her muscles are completely seized up, writhing in a mostly fetal position. Unfortunately, the symptoms do not subside even after the application of the antitoxin. The dwarf stands back a few feet to give them space and asks in a much more friendly tone, "Can I get yer annathin'?"

Meanwhile, the echoing clomp of boots on stone signals that the guardsmen are nearing, and by the sounds of it, at a run. Some of the outer onlookers begin to part to give them room. Others nearer the scene continue to gasp and whisper and murmur among each other. The samaritan with the butter knife, a fairly well-dressed human in greens and browns, looks around at the nearest onlookers. "You lot! Back up and give 'em space, hey?" and begins to push the encroaching crowd back.

Woggle
2014-09-29, 11:09 AM
Still kneeling by Merrilyn's side, Dalrian looks up toward the older dwarf, Bendric, in response to his query. "Is there a healer or priest or cleric near? I fear that aiding Ms. Halfoak is beyond my skill." Dalrian then turns back to Merrilyn, wiping the blood from her mouth and doing what he can to keep her stable and maybe stave off the poison.

[roll0] To keep Merrilyn stable and combat the poison (if it is possible).

Athaleon
2014-09-29, 12:13 PM
Variel leaned in closer to the sobbing waitress. He didn't like pressing her in such a state, but time was of the essence. "Who is the guy? When did he give that stuff to you?"

Samshiir
2014-09-30, 03:10 PM
When the girl broke down and Variel began questioning her, Kaith released her. He stored ready for anything, though, just in case.

SudoDragon
2014-10-01, 11:01 PM
When Kaith slowly releases his grip but still has the stance of someone very wary of her actions, the serving woman wipes her eyes and sniffles. She sighs for just a second or two, running her fingers through her hair while thinking. Finally, in a soft shaking voice, "H...he was a halfling. Ummm...brown hair 'n dressed as a priest of that sun goddess. W...which is why I didn't think a thing of it! I swear! H..he was sitting right over there," she points through the crowd.

As she points, the crowd splits to provide line of sight to a table at the northern edge of the cafe grounds, right along the narrow alleyway leading in the same direction. A series of murmurs and whispers ripples through the crowd. One voice from within the gathered mass says, "Aye, 'e was there. I saw 'im too, I did!" There's a single mug of tea and a small saucer with some crumbs on the table, but no one is sitting there. "Well...he was there..." she clarifies.

Then she pulls out a small glass vial from within her black apron. The vial is no larger than the end half of an index finger, perhaps an inch and a half long and a half inch in diameter. It is unstoppered and has tiny green flakes in it with a miniscule amount of liquid residue coating the insides. She hands it off eagerly to whomever wants it, as if it were suddenly aflame.

Meanwhile, from the south towards the main intersection, the tromping of boots gets louder as four guardsmen finally push through the crowd. The one in front, a half-elf male with black hair and burn scars along the left side of his face, has the markings of one with some rank and quickly surveys the scene. "What happened here!? Someone explain quickly!" Then he catches sight of one person in the crowd and tilts his head and widens his eyes in mild surprise. "Xue? What's going on?" He asks this as he kneels down beside the collapsed form of Merrilyn and quickly assesses Ueya and Dalrian.

DeRerumNatura
2014-10-03, 12:08 PM
As the sergeant enters the room Xue comes to attention. Quickly but with clear enunciation she starts to speak:"Sergeant, Merrilyn Halfoak was poisoned by the tea brought by this waitress. The waitress just claimed, that she acted with on ill intent on behalf of a third person, a halfling priest of the sun goddess. Mister Lighfoot and Mister Ueya have adminstered first aid but to no avail. I was just on my way out, getting a cleric for help."

if needed
rolling untrained profession(cityguard)
[roll0]
rolling untrained diplomacy
[roll1]

if his next reaction is not to order someone to get help Xue is going to give a repectful short bow and starting to run

Woggle
2014-10-03, 06:30 PM
Looking up toward Xue, Dalrian adds, "I am at a loss as to what to do; I don't have much knowledge of poison. All I can do is try to stem her bleeding, but I fear if more aid is not found then Ms. Halfoak will not survive." Dalrian looks from the guard back to Xue, concern written deeply in the lines of his face.

[roll0] To continue to stabilize Merrilyn, if need be.

Athaleon
2014-10-04, 07:35 PM
"He was just here?" Variel bolts for the alleyway in the long-shot hope of picking up the culprit's trail.

[roll0] Perception

Also does Variel know anyone from the temple matching the suspect's description?

Cardea
2014-10-06, 11:38 AM
"Poison. Fast actin', life eatin'." Ueya pulls out a vial, the green mixture moving inside its container. "Where be goin'? Sumberton Balms an' 'lixirs, or tryin' a temple? Can move faster, can carry her, but needin' dest'nation."

SudoDragon
2014-10-07, 07:58 PM
The sergeant listens to Xue while knelt beside Merrilyn and the others surrounding her. He looks back up at Xue after she finishes and shakes his head. He says with no small amount of authority, "Negative. You and the others," he pauses and turns to look at Ueya and the green vial with a surprisingly menacing glare, "especially you," then looks back up at Xue, "are going nowhere until we get this whole matter settled. Carter!" he yells this last name.

A tall, impressively muscular red-haired human steps up and salutes. "Sir!"

The sergeant nods once towards Xue while looking at the guardsman, "Former guardswoman Gongshu mentioned getting a healer. A sound plan. Make for the Eternal Peace temple and elicit one, as soon as possible! Move!" The guardsman snaps off another salute and races south down the alley onto the street and turns out of sight, heading towards the bridge and eventually Pious Way where all of the temples reside.

"Bainsbridge!" The captain yelled next. A shorter, blonde man steps up and salutes. "You have keen eyes. Search for signs of this halfling. Brown hair. Dressed as a priesty type of Sarenrae. Was seated just there. I better be impressed. And bring back that damned fool what just ran off. He's a witness to this mess."

With one more salute, the blonde guard takes off after Variel, yelling after him, "Stop! City Watch!"

"Dellosar, start getting statements," the sergeant orders. The last guardsman, a tall bald elf covered in many tattoos along his head and long ears, walks over to the waitress. He asks her what happened and receives the same story as was told previously to the rest of the group. He starts wandering around the crowd, asking further questions and taking statements from the onlookers.

Meanwhile, the sergeant turns back to Merrilyn and those around her. He places a calming hand on the still quivering body and quietly, soothingly says, "Easy...help's coming." Her only response is to continue grunting and writhing in pain...at least for a few more seconds. After one particularly violent spasm, she stops having seizures and lays perfectly still, her body still in a fetal position. At that, the sergeant's good eye widens while the other one on the burned side of his face remains open and slightly bloodshot. He stands quickly and draws his longsword and points it at Ueya, his eyes burning with anger. "You...apothecary!...what'd you do to her!? Answer now or Abadar save me, your head will roll here and now," he growls menacingly, his fingers wrapped around the hilt of his sword tightly.

Variel

As he dashes off into the alleyway, he quickly reaches a sideways T-shaped intersection. The northbound route meanders off through a small grassy park before passing the local river boatsmen's favorite watering hole, the Anchor's Rest. The westbound route from that intersection leads back to the main street and a crowd of people passing to and fro in the pleasant morning sun.

Just as Variel spots a small shape in a white and red robe ducking into a crowd of nearly a dozen sailors in front of the tavern, he hears the blonde guardsman yell, "Stop! City Watch!"

Cardea
2014-10-07, 08:41 PM
"I's givin' antitoxin! I's tryin' helpin', com'n' here on her 'questin', com'n' here on her letter!" Ueya shouts, pulling the letter of summons from one of his pouches, offering it to the sargeant. "We talkin', all us tellin' her we gon' help her wit' what'eva she wantin', and then she on groun' shakin' like mad, blood comin' forth. We givin' her antitoxin, we givin' her aid, but if we don' move fas', man, she gon' die! Vial I holdin' be Exp'ditious Retreat. Helpin' me move faster, helpin' me carry her to a healer or an apoth'cary shop. Is for me drinkin', not her. Now your boy may find halflin', your boy may not. But time is wastin' if I ain' movin'. I be Ueya Cherra. Fam'ly runnin' shop in town. We be established people of the community. My aim righ' now is to get Halfoak to someone who can help now. Not later. Not soon. Now. You makin' me wait more is jus' tickin' clock on when poison start spreadin' faster. I don' be knowin' the problem you be havin' wit' me, but if you wan' be killin' me now, you can be explainin' to the Halfoaks why you be killin' the son of their primary supplier of curealls and med'cine. I ain' be havin' time to go back and forth wit' ya, so either you stab me here and now, or you can be followin' me and tellin' me to go to either cloth men or potion shop!"

OH GOD DIPLOMACY UNRANKED PLEASE NATURAL 20

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Edit: I... have no strong feelings about this result one way or the other.

drayen
2014-10-07, 11:42 PM
Phyx listens to all of the conversations, keeping his eye on the teapot. At Merrilyn's sudden jerking, he wonders, [i]That looked like a death spasm. Probably over for her now. So thinking, he made to blend into the crowd hoping to sneak away after the fair haired young man.

Stealth: [roll0]

Athaleon
2014-10-08, 03:06 AM
Variel ignored the watchman. He was so close, and if he stopped even for a moment he would lose his target in the crowd.

Woggle
2014-10-08, 01:22 PM
Dalrian begins to panic slightly as Merrilyn's body becomes still. Ignoring the sergeant and Ueya for a moment, he attempts desperately to rouse her. Dalrian curses under his breath in halfling, and implores Merrilyn "Don't leave us now, dammit! Come on, come on, please..." Dalrian continues to do all he can to try to stabilize Merrilyn.

After hearing the sergeants accusations, Dalrian looks up towards him. "Lower your blade, sir. We need no more blood spilled, I implore you. This man has done nothing but offer aide, and you threaten his life? Please, now is not the time for such rashness."

[roll0] One last heal check...
rolling for Diplo in the Ooc thread.

Samshiir
2014-10-08, 08:06 PM
Kaith moves between the sergeant and Ueya, placing his back directly in front of Ueya in a protective manner while facing the sergeant with a daggered glare.

"You have no evidence, let alone proof, of this man's actions. We do. He is not at fault for Merrilyn's..." Kaith pauses to check the status of the Halfling, unsure on what to call her current condition. He decides not to finish that sentence. "Display undue and misplaced wrath if you must, sergeant, but know that you will cause more chaos than necessary. We can work this out, but we must think this through rationally."

While speaking, Kaith made sure to let the sergeant notice his left hand balancing the sheath of his katana and his right hand ready to remove the blade from it. He didn't want this to resort in a fight, and was hoping to work this through with words rather than violence, especially since the only bloodshed at the moment would be from those that were not guilty.

Diplomacy check:[roll0]

If this fails bad enough, a majority of Kaith's words from this post will actually be an internal monologue.

DeRerumNatura
2014-10-09, 06:31 AM
Sergeant, Mister Ueya has not done anything to Miss before she collapsed, and after he has, as far as I can tell, done nothing but trying to help her. More important at the moment is got cath the fleeing priest and get help for Miss Halfoak.
After trying to calm down the Sergeant, she tries to whisper to Kaith, without anyone else noticing or atleast hearing.
Dont draw your blade, no good can come from it

Rolling Diplomacy to calm him down
(I should have put points into it)
[roll0]
Rolling Bluff (?)
[roll1]