PDA

View Full Version : "Poisoned" condition

KevlarTheD
2014-09-19, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

Reading through spell descriptions recently, I completely misread an entry and that sent me searching for a question which I have not yet been able to answer:

How does one bestow the "poisoned" condition on an enemy?

Spells such as Poison Spray and weapon poisons as listed in the equipment section deal poison-type damage but, as far as I can tell, do not leave the target with the Poisoned condition.

So, is this a "DM decides you've taken enough poison damage to count as poisoned"?

randomodo
2014-09-19, 01:51 PM
Thus far, I've seen it only coming from some monster descriptions - I think the pseudodragon and maybe the sprite familiar's arrows can bestow the condition, and probably a few others.

I don't think the intent is that things like the poison spray cantrip inflict the poisoned condition (which, inasmuch as it imposes disadvantage, would be pretty powerful)

Fwiffo86
2014-09-19, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

Reading through spell descriptions recently, I completely misread an entry and that sent me searching for a question which I have not yet been able to answer:

How does one bestow the "poisoned" condition on an enemy?

Spells such as Poison Spray and weapon poisons as listed in the equipment section deal poison-type damage but, as far as I can tell, do not leave the target with the Poisoned condition.

So, is this a "DM decides you've taken enough poison damage to count as poisoned"?

The poisonous cantrip bestows the poisoned condition until the end of your next turn. Or something like that. Which in light of suddenly having DisAdv on every roll, makes it one of the most powerful cantrips in my opinion.

hymer
2014-09-19, 02:10 PM
Ray of Sickness can apply the 'poisoned' condition IIRC.

randomodo
2014-09-19, 02:43 PM
The poisonous cantrip bestows the poisoned condition until the end of your next turn. Or something like that. Which in light of suddenly having DisAdv on every roll, makes it one of the most powerful cantrips in my opinion.

Poison Spray doesn't; is there a different cantrip that does?

Fwiffo86
2014-09-19, 02:50 PM
Poison Spray doesn't; is there a different cantrip that does?

Please see this post:

Ray of Sickness can apply the 'poisoned' condition IIRC.

Ferrin33
2014-09-19, 02:51 PM
Please see this post:

Ray of Sickness is not a cantrip though. :p

Galen
2014-09-19, 02:55 PM
- Dagger of Venom (Hoard of the Dragon Queen web supplement) can inflict the Poisoned condition

randomodo
2014-09-19, 03:14 PM
Cool; thanks!