PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Big as Daggers, Eyes Like Fire! [Template]

Jack Mann
2007-03-12, 05:04 AM
Monster of a Few Stories Here and There

A monster of a few stories here and there is a creature whose reputation precedes it. Old men sitting on porches, retired warriors in taverns, children playing in the streets; all tell tales of the monster of a few stories here and there. The power of these stories have taken on a life of their own, and have imbued the creature with abilities to help it maintain its mythic stature. A monster of a few stories here and there is a unique creature and considered to be an echo of the archetypes for creatures of its kind. These gifted creatures are often found in secluded areas where they are normally only seen from a distance, often at night or in bad weather.

Monsters of a few stories here and there seem dangerous. They are widely believed to be tougher, stronger, and fiercer than their normally encountered kin. Most stories about them talk about potent attack forms and special qualities that mark them as being remarkable and rare. Monsters of a few stories here and there are usually encountered purely by chance, and rarely close enough to get a good look at it.

Creating a Monster of a Few Stories Here and There
"Monster of a few stories here and there" is an acquired template that can be added to any animal, magical beast, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid (hereafter referred to as the base creature). If the base creature is an animal, type changes to magical beast; otherwise, type remains the same.

Hit Dice: All of the base creature's Hit Dice increase to d4s (if smaller than a d4, otherwise same as base creature).
Speed: Same as the base creature's.
AC: Base Creature's natural armor bonus increases by +1.
Attacks: Same as the base creature's.
Damage: Same as the base creature, or as indicated on the table below, whichever is greater.

{table=head]Size|Slam|Bite|Claw|Gore
Fine|
--
|
|
--
|
--

Diminutive|
|
1d2
|
|

Tiny|
|
1d3
|
1d2
|
1d2

Small|
1d3
|
1d4
|
1d3
|
1d4

Medium|
1d4
|
1d6
|
1d4
|
1d6

Large|
1d6
|
1d8
|
1d6
|
1d8

Huge|
1d8
|
2d6
|
1d8
|
2d6

Gargantuan|
2d6
|
2d8
|
2d6
|
2d8

Colossal|
2d8
|
4d6
|
2d8
|
4d6
[/table]

Special Attacks
Somewhat Alarming Presence: A monster of a few stories here and there makes a bluff check as a free action at the beginning of battle. All creatures with fewer hit dice than it has within twenty feet who hear its terrible roar (or scream, cry, bleat, croak, etc.) must make a sense motive check. If they fail, they must succeed on a Will save (DC 10+1/2 monster of a few stories here and there's Charisma modifier) or become shaken--a condition that lasts until the opponent actually witnesses it make an attack or they are out of range.
Spellcasting: A monster of a few stories here and there casts spells as a level one bard (save DC 10+spell level+the monster of a few stories here and there's Charisma modifier).
Special Qualities: A monster of a few stories here and there retains the base creature's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. In addition, it gains four of the following special qualities.
Sorta Toughness: A monster of a few stories here and there has one more hit point than it normally would have.
Reputation: The DC for knowledge checks to find the monster's abilities are always +15 higher than they normally would be. Gather Information can be used to find out about it, but this always yields exaggerrated results, describing the monster as one size category larger and with much more powerful abilities (full spellcasting, unnatural strength and toughness, etc.). Attempts to scry on them always seem hazy, miscolored, and at odd angles, making it very difficult to see what's truly going on.
Beguiling Myth: Creatures with ranks in profession (journalism) who hear about the monster of a few stories here and there are affected as by a suggestion spell (DC 10+1/2 monster of a few stories here and there's hit dice+charisma modifier) to go and seek the creature out.
Salient Feature: Monsters of a few stories here and there always have a feature that makes it stick out, and easy to identify. Such features can include a visible scar, an unusual number of toes, claws, or tentacles, odd coloration, or interesting marks. This gives a monster of a few stories here and there a -4 penalty on disguise checks.
Saves: Same as the base creature's.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Cha +4
Skills: A monster of a few stories here and there has skill points as the base creature. Its class skills are the same as the base creature, with the addition of bluff. Monsters of a few stories here and there get a +10 racial bonus to bluff.
Feats: A monster of a few stories here and there gains Monkey Grip as a bonus feat.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.
Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Same as the base creature.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2.

Lore (Knolwedge: Local [or as appropriate for the Base Creature])

30: Some creatures gain reputations that only grow with time.
40: Monsters of a few stories here and there are enhanced by the stories that are told by them, making them a bit more powerful than other creatures of that type.
45: Monsters of a few stories here and there have exaggerated reputations. The greatest part of their power goes into making them seem more powerful than they really are. They are in truth much easier to kill than the stories would suggest.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-12, 05:27 AM
Scarbeak, Owlbear of a Few Stories Here and There

Large Magical Beast Hit Dice: 5d10+26 (53 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Somewhat Alarming Presence, spells
Special Qualities: Scent, Sorta Toughness, Beguiling Myth, Reputation, Salient Feature
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8, Bluff +12
Feats: Alertness, Track, Monkey Grip (B)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: --

Scarbeak is an owlbear of average size, with a thick, jagged scar on its beak from an encounter with a non-owl bear.

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, an owlbear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Somewhat Alarming Presence (Ex): Scarbeak makes a bluff check as a free action at the beginning of battle. All creatures with fewer than 5 hit dice who hear its terrible roar must make a sense motive check. If they fail, they must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or become shaken--a condition that lasts until the opponent actually witnesses it make an attack or they are out of range. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spells: Scarbeak casts spells as a level one bard (save DC 12+spell level). His spells known are Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Daze, and Know Direction.

Sorta Toughness: Scarbeak has one more hit point than it normally would have (already factored in).

Reputation: The DC for knowledge checks to discover Scarbeak'ss abilities are +15 higher than they normally would be. Gather Information can be used to find out about Scarbeak, but this always yields exaggerrated results, describing Scarbeak as one size category larger and with much more powerful abilities (full spellcasting, unnatural strength and toughness, etc). Attempts to scry on Scarbeak always seem hazy, miscolored, and at odd angles, making it very difficult to see what's truly going on.

Beguiling Myth: Creatures with ranks in profession (journalism) who hear about Scarbeak are affected as by a DC 14 suggestion spell to go and seek the creature out. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Salient Feature: Scarbeak has, as its name implies, an ugly, noticeable scar on its beak. This gives Scarbeak a -4 penalty on disguise checks.

Simius
2007-03-12, 07:06 AM
This could've come straight from a discworld book. Good job, guys.:smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-12, 01:00 PM
What happens if it already casts spells as a bard?

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-12, 01:18 PM
Then it casts spells as TWO bards, or one useful spellcaster.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-03-12, 01:27 PM
Classy work! :biggrin: I love it.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-12, 02:10 PM
Level Adjustment "--"? WHY?! I want to play a Bard Of A Few Stories Here And There. I'll call him Moderately Well-Known Jack.

Maldraugedhen
2007-03-12, 09:22 PM
The Jack of A Few Trades? I think I've heard of that guy.

Wehrkind
2007-03-12, 10:48 PM
This is definitely made of both win and love. Thank you.

"Leave me alone! I just want to eat grubs!"

tgva8889
2007-03-13, 03:43 AM
That is great work. It's...it...can't say anything. It's just great work. I want to try to use this template in some game, someplace, just because it's so hilarious that it's true.

Jack Mann
2007-03-13, 05:11 AM
I added the information for what creatures qualify for the template. And y'know, I'll even give it an LA. Because I'm cool like that.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-13, 05:27 AM
I added the information for what creatures qualify for the template. And y'know, I'll even give it an LA. Because I'm cool like that.

But have you added what happens if the base creature already casts spells as a bard? :smalltongue: There are monsters that do that!

Jack Mann
2007-03-13, 05:47 AM
If the monster of legend template doesn't need to clarify that, neither do I.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-13, 05:18 PM
If the creature already casts spells as a Bard then add the two class levels together. For example a level 3 Bard Liliend with this Template would cast spells as a 4th level bard. I think that's how it works with Dragons and Cloaker Lords.

Jack Mann
2007-03-13, 10:36 PM
Posted the results of knowledge checks made to learn about the creatures.

DaMullet
2007-03-15, 01:45 PM
This is fantastic. I can't say anything but that.

mabriss lethe
2007-03-16, 12:55 AM
Simply Amazing. This would be perfect for a goblin character I've had bouncing around in my head for a while now.