PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 + PF Mythic] Help Me Create the Kusanagi-No-Tsurugi!

Lonely Tylenol
2014-09-19, 06:49 PM
Alright, so here's the rub:

I am a level 11 samurai (the warrior, not the class) who is of venerable age, who has spent most of his life as a rōnin working to redeem himself for his failures in his younger years, which led to the fall of his lord. (This has manifested largely in helping a newly appointed Elf lord lead his town wisely to prosperity and teaching my one living student the sword art which I perfected, while helping both of them defend against the prevailing evils of the land.) This has, over time, led to the reconstruction of his frail (and failing) body through mythic ascension, as well as the return of the power of his legendary weapon, the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, which lay dormant following his failure.

To this end, I have but one problem: There are too many options for me to juggle in re-creating the sword, and I am becoming very overwhelmed balancing all of them out!

Relevant Information:
- This is a very high-powered campaign setting, with access to 3.5 and Pathfinder material, as well as officially sourced variants. Mythic is on the board, and this game is expected to go to Epic levels.
- I am an 11th-level Factotum 4/Warblade 3/(Kensai + Iaijutsu Master gestalt) 4, fluffed as an aging samurai master
- I am Mythic Tier 4 (Dual Path Trickster + Marshal).
- The base weapon is an Ornate (+2 Intimidate) Razor Sharp Kaorti Resin +1 Keen Collision Focus Katana (using the Pathfinder rules, a katana is an exotic longsword with no piercing option, but an 18-20 threat range).
- I have selected Legendary Item (Weapon), and have four tiers' worth of abilities (two of which--DM-created options which provide +6 untyped bonuses to physical and mental ability scores, respectively, and are thus frankly broken--are locked in).
- I have the Item Familiar feat (the 10th-level special ability has not yet been selected).
- I am a fourth-level Kensai (two levels' worth of enchantments have not been selected).
- The Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi I am referring to is the sword of Japanese legend (for those wholly unfamiliar, a brief run-down of the sword's abilities can be found here (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusanagi).
- I am interested in retaining the sword's mythic powers concerning mastery of wind, as well as giving the sword legendary sharpness, as the sword whose common name is anglicized to "Grasscutter's Sword" is rumored to have. To this end, I want the sword's powers concerning the winds to sort of scale upward from "controls the direction and strength of the wind to an extent" all the way to "flexible mastery of the winds", preferably using a variety of spell-like abilities from both 3.5 and Pathfinder.
- To this end, capstone-level abilities of the sword can draw from its formal name, "Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi" ("Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven"), if the wind-themed powers of the Kusanagi alone are not enough to scale the sword up to full power.
- If Item Familiar and Legendary Item (weapon) from the mythic tiers is too much to make this weapon a reasonable reconstruction of Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi's powers, I can move one of these two traits to the wakizashi, giving me a pair of legendary weapons, although to that end I would like to know of a legendary wakizashi (if one exists) whose folklore I can derive the wakizashi's powers from. (I am not a two-weapon fighter; this would mostly be for fluff purposes.)

Thanks in advance for any advice or build suggestions you guys can give me!

Regards,
Colten

Lonely Tylenol
2014-09-20, 02:07 PM
I'm going to bump this with relevant spells that I might want to use (basically, just using this as an infodump so I can try and sort things out). If anyone else has input, please send it my way. :smallsmile:

1st:
Alter Winds (PF, Sor/Wiz 1)
2nd:
Binding Winds (3.5, Druid 2)
Gust of Wind (3.5, Sor/Wiz 2)
Wind Wall (3.5, Ran 2)
3rd:
Air Geyser (PF, Sor/Wiz 3)
Cloak of Winds (PF, Sor/Wiz 3)
Fickle Winds (PF, Ran 3)
Hurricane Blast (PF, Druid 3)
4th:
Air Walk (3.5, Cleric 4)
Defenestrating Sphere (3.5, Sor/Wiz 4)
Eye of the Hurricane (3.5, Druid 4)
5th:
Control Winds (3.5, Druid 5)
Cyclonic Blast (3.5, Sor/Wiz 5)
6th:
Wind Walk (PF, Cleric 6)
7th:
8th:
Dragon Cloud (3.5, Sanctified 8)
Mastery of the Sky (3.5, Sky 8)
9th:

Lonely Tylenol
2014-09-20, 11:36 PM
OK, so what I'm thinking thus far, as far as my choices go.

Assumptions I am making:
- The DM will allow me to "carry over" points from Intelligent (spellcasting) on the Legendary item through multiple tiers (example: I want to cast a 4th-level spell 3 times/day, and thus I can use hold onto my points for two tiers so that I can spend 8 at a time in order to gain 3/day access to that fourth-level spell); OR
- I can apply the same number of points a second time for a spell I had applied points to in order to cast it 1/day in order to cast it 3/day (example: at Mythic tier 4, I spend 4 points from Spellcasting in order to gain a 4th-level spell 1/day, and then at Mythic tier 6, I spend 4 more points from another instance of Spellcasting to instead cast the same 4th-level spell 3/day)
- I can use the Pathfinder Intelligent Item rules for creating powers for the Item Familiar special abilities, with every power under 10,000gp counting as a "lesser power", everything from 10,000gp and up on the same table counting as a "greater power", and the dedicated powers table counting for "dedicated powers".
- I can cast "Dragon Cloud" (an 8th-level spell) as the dedicated power, perhaps priced as a 7th-level spell, with the caveat of "the wielder still has to pay the sacrifice cost of 1d3 CON damage".

Item Familiar:
10th: Lesser Power (Gust of Wind 3/day, 7,200gp)
14th: Greater Power (either Defenestrating Sphere of Eye of the Hurricane 3/day, 33,600gp)
18th: Special Purpose (act in unwavering service of a fair and just ruler), Dedicated Power (Dragon Cloud at-will with sacrifice cost, 182,000gp)

Legendary Item:
1st: Perfect Conditioning, Physical (+6 to all physical abilities)
2nd: Perfect Conditioning, Mental (+6 to all mental abilities)
3rd: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Wind Wall 1/day, Alter Winds 3/day)
4th: Foe-Biting
5th: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Cloak of Winds 1/day, Whispering Wind 1/day, 1 point unspent)
6th: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Control Winds 1/day, 1 point unspent)
7th: Unstoppable Strike
8th: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Wind Wall +2/day, Cloak of Winds +2/day)
9th: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Cyclonic Blast 1/day)
10th: Intelligent (Spellcasting: Control Winds +2/day)

Weapon magical properties with +x values:
Start: +1, Keen
Kensai 1: ---
Kensai 2: +1, Keen, Collision
Kensai 3: ---
Kensai 4: +1, Keen, Collision, Shadowstriking
Kensai 5: +2, Keen, Collision, Shadowstriking
Kensai 6: +3, Keen, Collision, Shadowstriking
Kensai 7: +4, Keen, Collision, Shadowstriking
Kensai 8: +5, Keen, Collision, Shadowstriking