PDA

View Full Version : Just realized something about Haley

CaDzilla
2014-09-19, 09:41 PM
She's Nami from One Piece. She's a red-haired, level headed rogue who's obsession with money stems from a ransom.

RighteousWarior
2014-09-19, 10:21 PM
I dunno. Haley's character is pretty broad. She could easily be a female version of Yamucha from dragon ball. Though yes, that character does remind me of Haley a LOT.

Depends who you ask, I guess.

Hacktor
2014-09-20, 12:56 AM
I have to say the same thing happened to me when I came up with Lizzie (the character in the avatar to the left <---) People were saying she looked and acted like Bubbles from the power puff girls even though there was no conscious decision there.

The human brain is really good at creating similarities where there are none but ...there are probably none :)

ti'esar
2014-09-20, 02:33 AM
I don't know why people come into threads like this and say "it's just a coincidence". I mean, yeah, it almost certainly is, but it's not like the OP was accusing the Giant or whoever the creator of One Piece is of plagiarism or something. The thread's just pointing out an interesting similarity.

Unisus
2014-09-20, 03:30 AM
Maybe it would look better if the OP had written "She's like Nami..."

Killer Angel
2014-09-20, 03:55 AM
The thread's just pointing out an interesting similarity.

Nope. The OP said that Haley is Nami from One Piece. And I strongly doubt it.

CaDzilla
2014-09-20, 06:39 AM
Nope. The OP said that Haley is Nami from One Piece. And I strongly doubt it.
I was being hyperbolic. Nami is obviously different from Haley by several factors like weapon choice, occupation, romantic relationships, etc. To me, they just seem very similar in their initial motivation and character design.

Keltest
2014-09-20, 06:54 AM
I don't know why people come into threads like this and say "it's just a coincidence". I mean, yeah, it almost certainly is, but it's not like the OP was accusing the Giant or whoever the creator of One Piece is of plagiarism or something. The thread's just pointing out an interesting similarity.

because its slightly more interesting than looking at it, going "yeah, youre right" and never going anywhere with it.

SavageWombat
2014-09-20, 09:06 AM
Maybe she's a Time Lord.

Killer Angel
2014-09-21, 04:06 AM
I was being hyperbolic. Nami is obviously different from Haley by several factors like weapon choice, occupation, romantic relationships, etc. To me, they just seem very similar in their initial motivation and character design.

That's another matter, and I could agree. But now, it would be interesting to know why you pointed out this similarity... a curious coincidence? a secret homage? the birth of a new stereotype? :smallwink:

CaDzilla
2014-09-21, 06:18 AM
the birth of a new stereotype? :smallwink:
That's interesting; does anyone know any other fictional characters that fit this mold?

orrion
2014-09-21, 11:09 AM
That's interesting; does anyone know any other fictional characters that fit this mold?

What, the greedy rogue? They're all over the place.

Also, I wouldn't say Haley's obsession with money stems from a ransom. She was a thief and part of the Thieves' Guild long before she got that ransom note from Miron. The ransom note wasn't the cause of her becoming a thief or the cause of her liking money.

137beth
2014-09-21, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure Haley is a version of a certain character from The Order of the Stick:smalltongue:

littlebum2002
2014-09-22, 02:44 PM
"Will you stop pointing out the repetitiveness of female protagonists and hurry up?!?"