PDA

View Full Version : Riding INSIDE monsters

Gnomes2169
2014-09-19, 10:45 PM
Now then, this is something that a lot of DM's have pulled on me, but never as much as my last 3.5 campaign. I was a lizardfolk with a homebrewed supernatural "tank" class, and my DM just loved to throw monsters with swallow whole after swallow whole at me... heck, one encounter I got eaten 16 times!!! As such, I am understandibly concerned about the whole affair in 5e.

So those of you with the MM already, how feasable is it to pull off a "kill it from the inside" in 5e? And which class would have the easiest time with it (in your opinion)?

Hytheter
2014-09-19, 10:56 PM
How long are your encounters if you can get swallowed 16 times in one???

Gnomes2169
2014-09-19, 11:30 PM
How long are your encounters if you can get swallowed 16 times in one???

It was a sidequest... We were stealing eggs from homebrew Colossal+ sized t-rexes... My class gave me fast healing high enough that we just said it was 16 times before the swarm gave up and stopped eating me so that I could murder them from (relative) safety while the Necromancer laughed his ass of... It was bad. XD

Easy_Lee
2014-09-20, 12:57 AM
I've actually put some thought into this, and expect a wildshaping druid would be the best class for it. Reason being, I know of one monster in the MM who swallows players currently: the tarrasque.

The rules for being swallowed by big T are take bite damage, end up restrained in stomach (until he takes over a certain amount of damage in one round), and take a large amount of acid damage at the start of each of big T's turns. But wait, a wildshaping druid can turn into monsters with acid immunity...

Yep, that's pretty much how you make your DM throw the DMG at you. Trick him into eating your druid, latch on and get comfy. Grapple your favorite part of his insides and hit him with cantrips every turn. Soon enough it dies, you tear your way out, and can reasonably assure it won't be getting back up again.

It doesn't hurt that moon druids are one of the strongest core choices available. Once elemental shifting comes online, you can adapt to your host's stomach no matter how harsh the environment. Play a halfling druid and call yourself the parasite.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-20, 05:28 AM
new legendary action for tarrasque: bowel movement!

Aldurin
2014-09-20, 05:53 AM
Casting classes that have powerful spells should have an easier time, assuming they can manage to fire off the stomach-ripping evocation spell of their choice. But the druid idea is right. Getting swallowed is a damage race, and either having a powerful output or mitigating the swallower's output is the best way to deal with it.

The title made me think this thread was about turning an oversized undead into a mech via Magic Jar, I'm disappointed.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-20, 07:40 PM
Wait, being eaten doesn't prevent the use of somatic and vocal components (and thus mist damage-dealing spells) in this version? Huh. So I guess monsters with swallow whole aren't caster death traps anymore...

Also, only the big T's (Terrasque and t-rex) have swallow whole? What about the purple worm?