PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D Horror: A campaign in the shadowpocalypse; Ideas for special rules

Kafana
2014-09-20, 03:28 AM
Alright, so a continent in my world was engulfed by the shadowpocalypse two millennia ago when it was attacked by a shadow god. The shadowpocalypse lasted for over a century and pretty much 5% of the population survived, after which an angel, accompanied by several powerful survivors lead an assault to banish the evil god and his shadows.

Having just finished watching the Walking Dead, I wanted to make an uncertain campaign in this period of my world's history, where the main quest would be to survive. The adventurers will be a part of a small community I'll make sure they grow to love sheltered by some artifact or other from the shadows , and they should be out questing for supplies as well as, eventually a new place to lead the community.

Now, I had several rules in mind to incorporate into this future campaign and wanted to see what you guys think, as well as see if I could get a brainstorming session going to help me better realize this idea.
------------------------------------------------
Alright, so the shadows control most of the continent and while they're present most of the time, they are powerless between the hours of 11 and 4, on a sunny day provided you're not in a deep forest or a cave obviously. What I mean by powerless is that if you're standing on an open field you run no risk of encountering a shadow being. I also plan to provide the party with an item or set of items which should mask them from the shadows for about 8 hours, allowing them to rest. The rest of the time they'll have to keep moving to not allow the shadows to manifest themselves.

This means that they'll be moving about 11 hours per day, at a slower pace. The first rule I planned to incorporate here is to have the whole party be perma-fatigued. Taking note from the Walking Dead, pretty much everyone in an apocalypse would be chronically tired. I'd have various checkpoints in the story when they do manage to rest up and be unfatigued for several days.

Now, I have a question related to this whole concept - what kind of items (chargeable, not permanent) would be a good reward for combating this type of world. Obviously a scroll of daylight or a wand of lesser restoration would come in handy, but what else?