PDA

View Full Version : Help my level 1 Warlock

Mandrake
2014-09-20, 08:26 AM
Hi!

It's been a while since I've played and I'm making a point-buy Adventurer's League rules Warlock, starting level 1.

I am not too focused on optimization, and I sometimes go too far away from it, so I need your help. I won't explain my build, so just treat this as any other optimization situation, and I'll include suggestions that I think might both help me and fit my character.

Race, class and background aren't that much subject to change, though I will listen to suggestions. Stats, spells, items, character progression and the like are much more open.

If you need any info that I forgot to add, ask me!

TL;DR Help my Warlock!

Race: Half-Orc
Background: Criminal
Class: Warlock
Level: 1
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Str:17; Dex:10; Con:14; Int:10; Wis:8; Cha:15

Saving throws: Wisdom, Charisma
HP: 10; HD:1d8

Trained skills: Deception, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, Stealth

Otherworldly Patron:The Fiend

Spells: Blade Ward, Mage Hand, Burning Hands, Hellish Rebuke

Relevant items: Spear, Light Crossbow, Leather Armor

Thank you and fire away!

Yorrin
2014-09-20, 09:01 AM
Heh. I kinda like it- a thuggish Warlock. Your biggest glaring hole is your defenses- you've got no AC to speak of and your Wis and Dex saves are going to be pathetic. I'd advise dipping multiclass into Fighter for a level or two at some point fairly early on to get heavy armor proficiency. And I assume that at Warlock 3 you're going to be going with Pact Blade(Maul or Greatsword)?

Daishain
2014-09-20, 09:46 AM
Well, somehow it doesn't look like you're wanting to be a blaster, so most of the shenanigans based around that are out.

There's a strong defensive synergy between Warlock 2 and Wizard (abjurer) 6, but you don't have the Int to pull it off.

In your case, I would recommend the pact of the blade. It will net you a magic weapon in a world where they are bloody rare, and you can thumb your nose at proficiency requirements at the same time. If your party does not have a full caster however, pick up the tome instead, and snag the invocation upgrade that will let you cast rituals with it, you can get a fair number of downtime utility spells that way (including the familiar you missed with pact of the chain)

In terms of starting spells, I'm going to suggest swapping blade ward (it costs an action, but lasts for only 1 round, meaning it is only useful if you are running away) out for eldritch blast, and burning hands out for armor of agathys.

In terms of your level 2 invocations, I'd snag Repelling Blast (a cheap no save means of shoving enemies around can be incredibly useful, especially if there happens to be a spiked pit behind them :smallbiggrin:). The other choice depends on your campaign and role. Beguiling Influence is good for the party face, Eldritch Sight is a multifunction ability that will among other things let you foil some ambushes, magic traps, and never again risk leaving magic loot behind because it was well hidden. Its usefulness is probably less here than in previous editions, but nonetheless should be good. Mask of Many Faces is great for infiltration, or just avoiding having to deal with people that don't like half-orcs. Misty visions can easily come in handy with a little imagination (being chased? hide the entire party inside the illusion of a boulder) Book of Ancient Secrets would be the Pact of the Tome upgrade I mentioned before, very useful. Or you could just snag Agonizing blast to upgrade EB's damage if you think you will use it.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-20, 10:01 AM
I have two things for you to think about.

a) you can get deception and persuasion from an invocation, so you may wanna try to get your DM to agree to a different skill other than that from the criminal BG. if he resists, just remind him that at the start of the BG section it encourages players to make their own custom backgrounds to fit their characters, and that making the change wont be overpowered at all, but will avoid wasteful overlap.

b) bladeward is a trap choice imho, it costs your full action to use, and only lasts until the end of next turn which really really limits the use at lvl 1. if you really want to get the most out of it I would suggest taking some levels in SORC for quickened spell and then grabbing it, that way you can cast it and still cast a normal spell. Otherwise you spend a turn dishing out 0 dmg to get the dmg reduction on the next. In light of that I think it's a weak cantrip choice for level 1 and you might be better served with another utility cantrip or Eldritch blast (although it looks like you're skipping that in your build, it still doesn't hurt)

Rummy
2014-09-20, 10:36 AM
I have two things for you to think about.

a) you can get deception and persuasion from an invocation, so you may wanna try to get your DM to agree to a different skill other than that from the criminal BG. if he resists, just remind him that at the start of the BG section it encourages players to make their own custom backgrounds to fit their characters, and that making the change wont be overpowered at all, but will avoid wasteful overlap.

b) bladeward is a trap choice imho, it costs your full action to use, and only lasts until the end of next turn which really really limits the use at lvl 1. if you really want to get the most out of it I would suggest taking some levels in SORC for quickened spell and then grabbing it, that way you can cast it and still cast a normal spell. Otherwise you spend a turn dishing out 0 dmg to get the dmg reduction on the next. In light of that I think it's a weak cantrip choice for level 1 and you might be better served with another utility cantrip or Eldritch blast (although it looks like you're skipping that in your build, it still doesn't hurt)

The quickened move is a good one. Blade ward can be worth it around level five when Armor of Agathys does 15 damage. I'd pick it up as your fifth level cantrip if I were you.

Mandrake
2014-09-20, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your help, it really is something!

Yes, it's a thuggish Warlock. :) I was also thinking of MC into Fighter for those really weak defenses.

Q1a Since i pumped Strength and want to slam people too, is Fighter the best option to multiclass into? Compared to, for example, Barbarian or Paladin or Ranger?
Q1b When should I multiclass? Immediatelly at level 2, or later? How do you suggest the progression of a Combat/Warlock should look for the first 4 or 5 levels?

Yes, I also planned on the Pact of the Blade, to take a big bad Maul to slam people.

Q2a Is it sensible to take it just for the magic weapon and calling it effects if I get proficiency in it by multiclassing into e.g. Fighter? Should I consider some other pact if I go multiclass?
Q2b Can I cast spells that require Somatic component if I wield a 2-handed weapon? That's why I took a spear - it's versatile, so I thought, you know, maybe I can cast with that in hand.

Yes, I want to avoid Eldritch blast and other Blasty blaster builds. I only took Burning Hands and Hellish Rebuke for the fiery fluff of Hell. So I took Mage Hand (mega cool) and Blade Ward, because it seemed a combat cantrip.

Q3a Is Blade Ward really so ineffective? Could I, perhaps, use it while covered and then step out to fight? Is that tactic even viable?
Q3b What other cantrip would be good to replace Blade Ward for a thuggish Warlock, if Blade Ward really is that bad (and I don't want Eldritch Blast)?

No, I wouldn't like to take the invocation that gives Deception and Persuasion, I was more hoping for the ones that give Mage armor and False life permanent casts.

Q4 Are those good? Can I cast Mage armor on myself and don armor on for extra AC?

Thanks a million, again!

Daishain
2014-09-20, 01:07 PM

Yes, it's a thuggish Warlock. :) I was also thinking of MC into Fighter for those really weak defenses.

Q1a Since i pumped Strength and want to slam people too, is Fighter the best option to multiclass into? Compared to, for example, Barbarian or Paladin or Ranger?
Q1b When should I multiclass? Immediatelly at level 2, or later? How do you suggest the progression of a Combat/Warlock should look for the first 4 or 5 levels?

Yes, I also planned on the Pact of the Blade, to take a big bad Maul to slam people.

Q2a Is it sensible to take it just for the magic weapon and calling it effects if I get proficiency in it by multiclassing into e.g. Fighter? Should I consider some other pact if I go multiclass?
Q2b Can I cast spells that require Somatic component if I wield a 2-handed weapon? That's why I took a spear - it's versatile, so I thought, you know, maybe I can cast with that in hand.

Yes, I want to avoid Eldritch blast and other Blasty blaster builds. I only took Burning Hands and Hellish Rebuke for the fiery fluff of Hell. So I took Mage Hand (mega cool) and Blade Ward, because it seemed a combat cantrip.

Q3a Is Blade Ward really so ineffective? Could I, perhaps, use it while covered and then step out to fight? Is that tactic even viable?
Q3b What other cantrip would be good to replace Blade Ward for a thuggish Warlock, if Blade Ward really is that bad (and I don't want Eldritch Blast)?

No, I wouldn't like to take the invocation that gives Deception and Persuasion, I was more hoping for the ones that give Mage armor and False life permanent casts.

Q4 Are those good? Can I cast Mage armor on myself and don armor on for extra AC?

Thanks a million, again!
A1a, probably, along with the proficiencies, fighter2 nets you a single extra feat/attribute increase.
A1b level 2 seems to be a good jump off point

A2a the magic weapon bonus is a big deal, as is the recall feature. I don't consider weapon proficiency a big deal in your decision here
A2b Yes, you can, you can hold any two handed weapon in one hand while you cast with the other. You just can't effectively attack with it without both hands. Now, you can't normally do somatic components while using a shield and a weapon, but the feat War Caster (which you should consider picking up) gets around that too.

A3a It uses up your action and only lasts for one round. If you aren't going to be able to do anything other than move around anyways, it can come in handy. But the moment you try to do anything else (like attack the people attacking you), it does nothing for you.
A3b True Strike is likewise somewhat situational, but it can be good for when your next attack absolutely must hit. Chill Touch shuts down an opponent's healing, meaning you become the bane of anything that relies on regeneration, potions, and/or healing spells. Friends is an out of combat ability, but will give a major advantage in social interactions, just don't use it on anyone you care about making into an enemy. Minor illusion is likewise mostly limited to out of combat uses, but is great for distraction, guile and misdirection.

A4, Mage Armor gives you a flat AC of 13+dex, and ends if you put on armor, so that won't work. False life isn't necessarily bad, but it is only giving you an average of 3 temp HP, and you will only be able to efficiently cast it at the beginning of an encounter. Armor of Agathys is better, even when the temp HP is burned up, its retributive quality is still active.

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 01:18 PM

Thanks a million, again!

A1a: Paladin, Fighter, and Barbarian are all good options, in my opinion the paladin has more synergy because of the charisma based casting and extra spells known. Ranger isn't that great because it's wisdom based and its class features are lackluster for a Warlock, very little synergy.
A1b: Depends on what you want to focus on first, what classes you're going to take, and how many levels of those classes you'll have eventually.

A2a: You still get to add your Cha modifier to damage with an invocation at 12th level on weapon attacks with it, and it's a way to safeguard your precious magic item should you find one you like. Also note that if the DM throws in monster weapons you can get proficiency with it while other people would need to take the crappy feat. You're also never without a weapon that counts as magic to beat some resistances.
A2b: Most DM's I know just let you hold your two-handed weapon in one hand temporarily while you cast a spell. It becomes a problem if you use a shield + weapon, in which case you would need the War Caster feat. Keep in mind that not all DM's would allow you to temporarily hold a two-handed weapon in one hand even if you don't hit stuff with it like that.

A3a: Blade Ward is actually quite good in my opinion, mostly because of the Armor of Agathys spell though. If you mean by "step out of cover" that there are enemies with readied actions waiting; yes, it's pretty useful for that so your allies don't take the brunt of the damage.
A3b: Hm, Poison Spray I guess if you don't take Eldritch Blast? Blade Ward is really one of the better combat options in my opinion.

A4: False Life Invocation is good at the first few levels for a lot of extra toughness, Armor of Shadows is great with a lot of Dexterty, I'd almost suggest taking the Moderate Armor Proficiency and perhaps even Heavy Armor proficiency as feats with your stats it's a big investment though. And no, you can not cast Armor of Shadows and then equip armor for a bigger AC for two reasons; It doesn't stack, it just uses a different calculation for your AC. Armor of Shadows dissappears when you don armor.

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 01:22 PM
A1a, probably, along with the proficiencies, fighter2 nets you a single extra feat/attribute increase.

Fighter4 gives the Ability Score Increase, Fighter2 gives you Action Surge.

A4, Mage Armor gives you a flat AC of 13+dex, and ends if you put on armor, so that won't work. False life isn't necessarily bad, but it is only giving you an average of 3 temp HP, and you will only be able to efficiently cast it at the beginning of an encounter. Armor of Agathys is better, even when the temp HP is burned up, its retributive quality is still active.

Armor of Agathys only deals the cold damage while you still had those temporary hit points when the creature hit you, when they're gone the spell does not deal the cold damage to melee attackers anymore.

Daishain
2014-09-20, 01:25 PM
A1a:Keep in mind that not all DM's would allow you to temporarily hold a two-handed weapon in one hand even if you don't hit stuff with it like that.
They should. I haven't seen them address it in the 5E PHB, but you've long been able to free up a hand for casting in the manner you describe in previous editions

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 01:30 PM
They should. I haven't seen them address it in the 5E PHB, but you've long been able to free up a hand for casting in the manner you describe in previous editions

I don't disagree, but it's not RAW and there are some stuck up DM's out there. :p

Rummy
2014-09-20, 06:08 PM
I don't disagree, but it's not RAW and there are some stuck up DM's out there. :p

But no reaction spells like Hellish Rebuke. Casting Hex on your turn is kosher because you get a free environmental interaction. Casting Hellish Rebuke is not possible while wielding a two handed weapon without the War Caster feat.

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 06:11 PM
But no reaction spells like Hellish Rebuke. Casting Hex on your turn is kosher because you get a free environmental interaction. Casting Hellish Rebuke is not possible while wielding a two handed weapon without the War Caster feat.

That seems to be correct. I wonder if not having your weapon in two hands at the end of your turn would allow you to though? (And thus not being able to use your reaction on an attack of opportunity?)

Rummy
2014-09-20, 07:20 PM
That seems to be correct. I wonder if not having your weapon in two hands at the end of your turn would allow you to though? (And thus not being able to use your reaction on an attack of opportunity?)

Definitely. If you aren't wielding it you can cast away as a reaction.