PDA

View Full Version : Question about class feature suppliment spell lists.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-20, 10:32 AM
I'm wondering if I've had this wrong all this time, but for the additional spells you get for; say, cleric domains, paladin oaths, or warlock patrons....how exactly do they work?

do they not count against your spells known/spellslots and are always prepared and ready to use upon rest?

Yorrin
2014-09-20, 10:37 AM
I think you've got it right (in most cases), the supplemental lists do not count against your prepared/known spells and you've always got them prepared. Warlock, iirc, is the exception- with Warlocks the lists are merely added to their class list as options for spells known.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-20, 10:39 AM
damnit, that seems like a load of BS since warlocks already get the smallest number of spell slots by a wide margin. I think they should work like the other classes do, on a long rest.

Daishain
2014-09-20, 10:44 AM
damnit, that seems like a load of BS since warlocks already get the smallest number of spell slots by a wide margin. I think they should work like the other classes do, on a long rest.

That really isn't their Shtick. Remember that their original incarnation had them casting their ENTIRE repertoire at-will. In other words, limited arcane variety, but no limits on how much what they do have is used.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-20, 10:50 AM
wells its not like that in 5e, and having only 4 spell slots is pathetic even considering they refresh on a short rest, esp when you're limited to 2 until 11th level.

I dunno, at first I thought warlock looked really awesome but having such meager spellslots is ridiculous, I know eldritch blast is strong, but if that's literally your only option 90% of the time where is the fun in playing the class.

it's a shame, for a second I thought the class was actually playable again, but alas it's the only one who doesn't enjoy these extra spells for some reason ;_;

Juntao112
2014-09-20, 11:43 AM
I know eldritch blast is strong, but if that's literally your only option 90% of the time where is the fun in playing the class.

My impression is that people who want to blast 90% of the time choose to have fun playing Warlocks.

Dralnu
2014-09-20, 01:06 PM
That's always been the point of the class though. Warlocks are simpler arcane casters. They have an amazing ranged weapon, some cool abilities, and a few powerful spells that recover after only a short rest instead of a long one which is way better than you give it credit. Simple, consistent, powerful. Nothing wrong with that. If you want tons of spells there are other classes that fulfill that role.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-20, 08:38 PM
i know i know, but i still think it's a bit limited. I think it wouldn't be out of line for warlock to get 5 spells, and that they scale up a little sooner, like 3 spells at 7, 4 at 12, and 5 at 18. That way you can use some of the great combos without blowing your entire spell list.