PDA

View Full Version : What's canon in the Star Wars Universe?

Speaker
2014-09-20, 11:53 AM
I know that the movies are canon and I think Forced Unleashed was canon but other than that I don't know what counts. I read a book about Boba Fett and someone told me that it might not be canon because there's a lot of Star Wars books that are not considered canon.

GloatingSwine
2014-09-20, 12:18 PM
I know that the movies are canon and I think Forced Unleashed was canon but other than that I don't know what counts. I read a book about Boba Fett and someone told me that it might not be canon because there's a lot of Star Wars books that are not considered canon.

Who knows any more?

The movies. Basically. Nothing else is really real.

Tiki Snakes
2014-09-20, 12:24 PM
Who knows any more?

The movies. Basically. Nothing else is really real.

Conversely, all of it.
They're all stories, rumours, myths and legends told in-universe. :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2014-09-20, 12:25 PM
Only movies, as far as I can say for sure.

Reverent-One
2014-09-20, 12:32 PM
The movies, the Clone Wars TV series, and any future material they put out.

Traab
2014-09-20, 12:57 PM
I dont know if its changed, but I THINK the way it was setup was Movies > All. After that the tv shows and such, then the EU books. If there is a contradiction between sources, the higher level wins the argument. So if someone wrote up a book saying that luke and leia arent twins, that wouldnt count as canon because the movies say otherwise. So theoretically, its all canon, but it can be over ridden by movies. But that was before disney picked it up. I think for right now its just the films that count as canon, because they intend to go deep into the star wars universe and reserve the right to change whatever they want. So while they may one day do the Thrawn trilogy, they might still change events from how the books went and that will be the new canon.

Yora
2014-09-20, 01:51 PM
That would be the Star Trek solution, I believe.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-20, 02:16 PM
They rebooted the timeline five months ago (April 25 to be precise) in preparation for the new movies, so the official canon is now Movies + TV shows + anything that's come out since then. The "old" universe/timeline (now called "Star Wars Legends") worked the way Traab described. My assumption is that they'll reuse that scheme going forward, though Lucasfilm is supposedly going to be working much more closely with licensees than it did pre-Disney so the new continuity will probably be much smoother to start with.

Coidzor
2014-09-20, 02:23 PM

Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Aside from the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Has been that way ever since Lucas went back and "fixed" things back in, what, the mid-90s? Late 90s?

If you need to know for anything official, well, you'd be employed by Disney in some capacity. You're posting here, ergo, you don't need to know anything more than you do now.

Yora
2014-09-20, 02:36 PM
Who is getting the profit from all the books, videogames, and RPGs that are still being sold now?

SVamp
2014-09-20, 03:22 PM
They rebooted the timeline five months ago (April 25 to be precise) in preparation for the new movies, so the official canon is now Movies + TV shows + anything that's come out since then. The "old" universe/timeline (now called "Star Wars Legends") worked the way Traab described. My assumption is that they'll reuse that scheme going forward, though Lucasfilm is supposedly going to be working much more closely with licensees than it did pre-Disney so the new continuity will probably be much smoother to start with.

I don't suppose they deleted episode 1,2 & 3 from original canon, right? Please? Sigh.

Ah well, I'm still hopeful that things will be better, if only because they can't be worse.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-20, 04:48 PM
Who is getting the profit from all the books, videogames, and RPGs that are still being sold now?

I see no reason for that to have changed at any point, aside from Lucasfilm's cut now being on Disney's balance sheet.

Coidzor
2014-09-20, 07:25 PM

I don't believe the company was dissolved, just that Disney bought it, but I could be misremembering, I suppose. And if it was dissolved then those assets/royalties have gone into the purview of some other Disney-owned company, perhaps Didney itself.