PDA

View Full Version : Fetch!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-12, 10:51 AM
I was working on an NPC and noticed something very peculiar... if you enchant bolas with the returning enhancement... do you not only trip your enemy but also bring him back? :smallyuk:

Orzel
2007-03-12, 10:56 AM
I don't think so.
I belive it is counted as held by the trip victim.

The funny thing. A returning bolas must be removed by the tripped victim's hands. Otherwise, it'll be recaught by your legs... tripping you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-12, 11:06 AM
I don't think so.
I belive it is counted as held by the trip victim.

The funny thing. A returning bolas must be removed by the tripped victim's hands. Otherwise, it'll be recaught by your legs... tripping you.
Eh? In what book did you derive that from? :smallconfused:

Maxymiuk
2007-03-12, 11:11 AM
Hmm... the SRD has no clues on how to deal with that...

Houserule a Strength check for the weapon to start dragging the opponent towards the owner at a rate of 5-10ft per round?

Orzel
2007-03-12, 11:11 AM
the Book Of Orzel Deeds

Seriously there's no official ruling I could find.(but I didn't tried hard to find it). I tried this before. It must be house ruled.

brian c
2007-03-12, 11:27 AM
If you miss it probably would come back, but if I DMed someone who tried to say that I'd rule that on a successful hit (and trip) the bolas would be unable to be removed from the tripped person except by the thrower

Indon
2007-03-12, 11:39 AM
I had the same thoughts on a Returning Net of Distance; make fish-catching easy!

daggaz
2007-03-12, 01:59 PM
Why would it automatically trip you? You outta get a chance to catch it, and if you fail, it makes a trip attempt on you. Thats if you are playing hardcore tho and dont allow automatic catching by the thrower, which most DM's do for returning weapons.

Personally, I wouldn't say it brings the creature back with it, unless that creature was pretty damn small. It works by wrapping around the legs of a victim... I would say that cancels the effects of return.

JaronK
2007-03-12, 02:07 PM
Returning Harpoon is a great one that works really well... a War Hulk with Brutal Throw and a few of those is downright scary.

JaronK

Fizban
2007-03-12, 06:26 PM
The bolas say nothing about wrapping around the target in their description, and therefore return just like any other weapon. Who needs realism?

RandomNPC
2007-03-12, 10:10 PM
in my game they wouldn't work, i have the returning item teleport back, solves all kinds of problems.

cupkeyk
2007-03-12, 10:54 PM
But bolas don't grapple opponents, they trip them. They don't entangle a persons legs, so as much as a tripped person can stand up and continue moving the next round, the bolas would return normally.

Wild_Chinchilla
2007-03-12, 11:44 PM
So if you had a harpoon with the enchantment, would it rip itself back out to return to you? Owwww

cupkeyk
2007-03-12, 11:45 PM
There is an enhancement with that ability, exiting or something of the sort.