PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oriental Adventures Races!

Ralcos
2014-09-20, 12:20 PM
Here's two races from the OA handbooks (Both the 1e and 3.5e editions).

http://www.gamer-printshop.com/kaidan-rpg/images/korobokuru.jpg

Korobokuru subrace (Dwarf)
Korobokurus are dwarflike humanoids that live in barren wilderness areas where they seldom come into contact with humans. They live in simple villages, tending small farms in secluded areas. They typically avoid any contact or involvement in the affairs of the world outside their farms, but occasional individuals, driven by wanderlust or inspired by some contact with human civilization, find their way into human lands.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Size. You are considered to be Small instead of Medium. This means that you have disadvantage on attack rolls while wielding weapons with the ‘heavy’ keyword.
Wilderness Lore. You have proficiency with the Survival Skill.

Optional Feat
Requires one to be Korobokuru

Korobokuru Strength
You treat your size as Medium for the purposes of wielding weapons. Also, you no longer take disadvantage from wielding heavy weapons.

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_arcana_677_pic1_en.jpg

Nezumi
The nezumi, or “ratlings” as they are often called by humans, are a race of bipedal ratlike humanoids.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Nezumi have a short lifespan, reaching adulthood at 5 years of age, with an average death at 50 years.
Alignment. Lacking a sense of property, home, or community, nezumi tend strongly toward chaotic alignments. Many nezumi are evil—whether by nature or simply because they are so often suspected of evil.
Size. They are about the same size and build as humans. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Darkvision. Accustomed to low-light environments, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it was bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Silent as Shadow. You have proficiency with the Stealth skill.
Ratman Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Natural Attacks. A ratling’s sharp claws deal 1d4 slashing damage and teeth deal 1d4 points of piercing damage with a successful strike. A ratling can make only one unarmed attack per round, using either claw or a bite attack. You can make an extra attack with one of these natural weapons as if you were dual wielding.

404 Error. Picture Not found. Reatart Google, and PM Ralcos if you find a Spiritfolk pic.

Spirit folk are the descendants of humans and various spirits
of nature. Spirit folk have three distinct races—bamboo,
river, and sea spirit folk. All tie very strongly to the natural
world as well as to the society of humans. Spirit folk are not
found in Rokugan.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Age. Spiritfolk are incredibly long-lived, becoming adults around the same time as humans do, but can live forever as long as nothing kills them.
Alignment. Perhaps because of their strong ties to the natural world, spirit folk tend to seek balance between extremes.
Size. Spiritfolk are descendants of the natural spirits and humans, and thus they adopt the human form. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Trance. Spiritfolk do not need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconcious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is "trance.") While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefits that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.
Subrace. Choose one of the following subraces

Bamboo Spiritfolk
As a bamboo Spiritfolk, you have a connection with the earth, and can sense oncoming danger just by "hearing" the earth. Because of this connection, they are easy to understand, and pleasant to be around.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Connection to the Earth. As a full round action, you can see as if you were under the effect of the True Seeing spell. At the beginning of your next turn, you have disadvantage on all attack rolls and saving throws until the end of your turn. You must be able to physically touch the ground (whether barefoot or by other means) to use this ability.

River Spiritfolk
River Spiritfolk are more private, able to move like water in any situation at hand. Also, they are able to heal faster when in water.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Connection with Rivers. You gain advantage to escape grapples or escaping from bonds. Also, you are considered one HD higher for the purposes of short rests, as long as you rest in waist-high or higher waters.
Aquatic. You are considered an aquatic creature, meaning that you gain the following features:
- You can swim as if you were walking on land.
- You can breathe in both water and air.
- You do not take disadvantage with melee or ranged attacks underwater.

I tried my best to make them unique, yet follow the lore set for them in their respective handbooks.
Also, I tried making the Hengyokai, but I couldn't figure out how they'd work in 5e (I tried to make the different animal Hengyokai as subraces!)

NOTE: I'm pretty sure Connection with Earth is overpowered, despite my attempts. Anyone want to help me balance?
Also, I wanted Spiritfolk to have unique abilities.

Sindeloke
2014-09-22, 06:12 AM
Two things about the "size" entry on the korobukuru:

1. The RAW is actually disadvantage on heavy weapons, not "can't use at all";
2. Your picture has the signature member of the race holding a naginata, which is a pole weapon. Probably a glaive in 5e terms. Heavy, in other words.

If you don't want to discard the "Small can't use heavy weapons" rule entirely (and I wouldn't blame you if you did, it's stupid, either have fully developed size categories or don't), you might want to give them a specific exemption to that rule as part of their race traits. It'd be a nice flavorful addition to an otherwise pretty minimal pair of subrace bonuses, and fit with the general dwarven trend of straddling the line between Small and Medium.

Nezumi look pretty good to me. They're obvious rogue types but the traits you've given them are diverse enough to play to other classes as well (everyone loves Con and any melee loves speed), which is always nice.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-22, 10:18 AM
I like the Nezumi too, though I think they might be deserving of another small boost? Just comparing them to wood elves, they seem to be slightly underpowered, though I admit I'm still not 100% on how the races in the PHB are balanced against each other.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the rules for their unarmed attack right, but the RAW there doesn't preclude them using natural weapons to make multiple attacks at higher levels, does it? Also you might consider letting them use the rules for dual wielding to get a bonus natural attack on any turn where they attack with a single weapon; otherwise, the d4 damage of their natural attack is totally made irrelevant whenever they have pretty much any weapon at all in hand, which makes the racial trait only usable when they are unarmed (which is pretty rare, IME). That's just a thought though! I've always liked the nezumi, and I like your 5E take on them as well. :smallbiggrin: I'll be coming back to read if you do any more of the OA races.

Ralcos
2014-09-22, 10:35 AM
Updated Small sized rules, Korobokuru pic, and updated Nezumi's Natural Weapons.

On the way: Spiritfolk! :biggrin:

UPDATED: Spiritfolk plus 2 subraces added!

BRKNdevil
2014-09-30, 09:48 PM
Updated Small sized rules, Korobokuru pic, and updated Nezumi's Natural Weapons.

On the way: Spiritfolk! :biggrin:

UPDATED: Spiritfolk plus 2 subraces added!

Honestly with the sort of things they give you when you choose your race, you could say that korobokuru count as medium when using weapons and it wouldn't be a major departure from what already exists.

Roshiyu
2015-02-26, 02:37 AM
Love the 5.0E Take on Nezumi/Ratlings! Though I have to agree on the slightly underpowered concern. Perhaps giving them back their Keen Smell?

Keen Smell- You have advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.