PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic Damage Reduction question

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-20, 12:58 PM
I was browsing the Mythic Adventures sourcebook, and suddenly it hit me that I don't understand how DR/ Mythic works. Specifically, I don't understand how it works when applied to a creature that already has DR. Lets say a monster has DR 10/ Silver, and gains DR/ Mythic. The book says the creature now has DR 10/ Silver and Mythic, but I don't quite understand what that means.

DR/ Silver can be overcome by either using a Silver weapon, or a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +3 or greater. Does DR/ Silver and Mythic mean that the creatures DR can only be overcome with either a +6 or higher weapon or a Silver weapon?

Diachronos
2014-09-20, 01:26 PM
I was browsing the Mythic Adventures sourcebook, and suddenly it hit me that I don't understand how DR/ Mythic works. Specifically, I don't understand how it works when applied to a creature that already has DR. Lets say a monster has DR 10/ Silver, and gains DR/ Mythic. The book says the creature now has DR 10/ Silver and Mythic, but I don't quite understand what that means.

DR/ Silver can be overcome by either using a Silver weapon, or a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +3 or greater. Does DR/ Silver and Mythic mean that the creatures DR can only be overcome with either a +6 or higher weapon or a Silver weapon?

For DR, there are 2 types you run into: "X and Y" and "X or Y".

"And" means that a weapon has to meet all of those requirements. For example, a Lich has DR 15/bludgeoning and magic. You would need a magic weapon that deals bludgeoning damage to bypass its DR.

"Or" means that the weapon needs to meet either requirement. So a monster with DR 5/magic or silver would be bypassed by a magic weapon, a silver weapon, or a magical silver weapon.

Slithery D
2014-09-20, 01:56 PM
This does mean that a lot of "and" DR codes are pointlessly redundant. Mythic and anything else is one of those, because if you can beat the mythic you can already beat anything else as well through enhancement bonus benefits.

Yanisa
2014-09-20, 01:57 PM
Well "And" does not mean "Or". So yeah Mythic "And" Silver is redundant.
Is that a real example in the books? Because from what I recall is that Damage Reduction doesn't stack, but you get the best one per situation, basically meaning that DR/Mythic overrides Dr/Silver in every case.

Edit:

This does mean that a lot of "and" DR codes are pointlessly redundant. Mythic and anything else is one of those, because if you can beat the mythic you can already beat anything else as well through enhancement bonus benefits.

Mythic and Slashing/Bludgeoning/Piercing being the exception. Undead for the win.

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-20, 02:09 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, guys!