PDA

View Full Version : HotDQ War Cleric, dip fighter?

BigONotation
2014-09-20, 01:18 PM
Here is the base char :

Human (Variant), Lvl 2 War Cleric (Tempus), Lawful Neutral, Soldier background (athletics, intimidation)

Feat: Polearm Master, Skill Choices : History, ?

Backstory: Child of followers of Tempus @ castle in the Silver Marches sets out to prove himself worthy outside the protective wings of the parents

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10

I really like the flavor of playing a War domain cleric and was considering making him even more martial by going fighter for a number of levels. It fits from an RP perspective but I was wondering if from a mechanical one if it is worth it. The party already has two front line fighters (fighter and monk) so I was thinking it's probably a mistake to gimp the healing they will no doubt need. We are playing through HotDQ and we're likely to get 3rd level right at the beginning of the session and possibly 4th by the end. I'm on the fence because so far the healing has been very necessary.

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 01:35 PM
Here is the base char :

Human (Variant), Lvl 2 War Cleric (Tempus), Lawful Neutral, Soldier background (athletics, intimidation)

Feat: Polearm Master, Skill Choices : History, ?

Backstory: Child of followers of Tempus @ castle in the Silver Marches sets out to prove himself worthy outside the protective wings of the parents

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10

I really like the flavor of playing a War domain cleric and was considering making him even more martial by going fighter for a number of levels. It fits from an RP perspective but I was wondering if from a mechanical one if it is worth it. The party already has two front line fighters (fighter and monk) so I was thinking it's probably a mistake to gimp the healing they will no doubt need. We are playing through HotDQ and we're likely to get 3rd level right at the beginning of the session and possibly 4th by the end. I'm on the fence because so far the healing has been very necessary.

To get a big boost from Fighter as a cleric you'd need to have at least 5 levels for the extra attack, before that the extra spell slots and levels are in my opinion a lot more important. I suggest staying as cleric for this campaign, and maybe consider multiclassing out if you continue to use this character in another campaign. Hm, I wonder what others think though.

Theodoxus
2014-09-20, 01:42 PM
I'm planning on doing the opposite with my fighter - though I'm not sure if at 5th or 6th level (so, 4th level fighter or 5th...) There are pros and cons to both routes. Of course, this is all predicated on whether or not we get new players at our next session willing to take up the healing mantle... our Druid refuses to even consider healing, so we've been doing a lot of short rests (good for me and the warlock) but still annoying being out of hit dice and their slow recovery in the middle of an adventure arc.