PDA

View Full Version : Player Help The good, the bad, and the intelligent

Inevitability
2014-09-20, 02:31 PM
So for an upcoming game I'll be playing in I need a character. When people asked me what I'd like to play, I told that I'd play whatever the group needed most. The other two players are already set on a Halfling Rogue and a Dragonborn Paladin of vengeance, so now it is up to me to create something that will help those.

As between the two of them most ability scores are covered, I think a character with high intelligence would be best. However, I can't seem to find any class that really needs intelligence, except for wizards. I wouldn't be opposed to playing them, but it always helps to have some alternatives.

So, my question is: What class that needs intelligence (at least 14-16) works well with this party?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-20, 02:44 PM
The Fighter archetype Eldritch Knight, the Rogue archetype Arcane Trickster, and the Wizard are the only ones who mechanically benefit from INT. Otherwise, you get an INT save and some skill bonuses that you can benefit from.

With the other two being Paladin and Rogue, I would go Wizard.

Cambrian
2014-09-20, 02:46 PM
Intelligence, as of right now, is useful for Wizards, Eldritch Knight fighters, and Arcane Trickster Rogues. Outside of that I could see wanting a decent Int score as a lore Bard (or any class that wants to be knowledgeable).

If it was a 4 player party I would say a wizard and maybe an additional healing class. But those "knowledge" checks can be a bigger difference than extra healing so I agree with your initial idea-- roll an intelligent character.

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-20, 03:02 PM
Intelligence, as of right now, is useful for Wizards, Eldritch Knight fighters, and Arcane Trickster Rogues. Outside of that I could see wanting a decent Int score as a lore Bard (or any class that wants to be knowledgeable).

If it was a 4 player party I would say a wizard and maybe an additional healing class. But those "knowledge" checks can be a bigger difference than extra healing so I agree with your initial idea-- roll an intelligent character.

How about a half-elf wizard? Grab a good background and you'll have 6 skills so you'll be able to hit all the best int and wis skills.

Sartharina
2014-09-20, 03:25 PM
Intelligence also works for all rogues - it governs Investigate, which is the clue-and-trapfinding check.

Ferrin33
2014-09-20, 04:49 PM
What about a druid? You seem to be missing wisdom as well as wilderness goodies. (Although the paladin Lay on Hands seems pretty damn juicy)

Callin
2014-09-20, 05:31 PM
At least a lvl 2 Conjuration Wizard. That way you always have the right tool for the job (also other cheesy things). Tack on Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion and you should be golden with the swiss army knife of mundane equipment and minor magics.