PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Bandit Lord Creation Ideas

Magemakeboom
2014-09-20, 04:21 PM
Looking at creating a low level adventure involving bandits. I'd like ideas as to what this Bandit Lord will actually be. Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!

Guidelines
D&D 3.5 (Any Source book is fair game, please no dragon magazine stuff)
ECL 4-5
32 point buy.
Templates allowed as long as it doesn't bring the ECL higher than 5.

The Bandit Lord makes his hideout in an abandoned country estate manor.

Thanks in advance!

Blackhawk748
2014-09-20, 04:53 PM
Well lets see, barbarian 5 with any LA 0 race.

Dual Wielding Ranger is fun too.

Though i think a fun one mind be Binder 5, hes in charge simply because the others are terrified of him. Grab Amon and breathe Fire and kill things with your Ram attack while wielding a Greatsword. A very scary visual (or grab any of the other vestiges, they can be fun too)

Do you have a personality for this guy or can we just run wild?

Coidzor
2014-09-20, 05:26 PM
Looking at creating a low level adventure involving bandits. I'd like ideas as to what this Bandit Lord will actually be. Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!

Guidelines
D&D 3.5 (Any Source book is fair game, please no dragon magazine stuff)
ECL 4-5
32 point buy.
Templates allowed as long as it doesn't bring the ECL higher than 5.

The Bandit Lord makes his hideout in an abandoned country estate manor.

Thanks in advance!

So, is he similar to his minions and just more powerful/the leader/etc? Is he an external factor that has bound the bandits to his will?

Is he in the manor because it's a defensible position or because it has some luxuries in it and has been either taken over and at least partially restored/abandoned because of his actions while still in good repair?

What sort of bandits is he lording it over and what's his form of control over them?

The Insanity
2014-09-20, 05:30 PM
Warrior 5. Or go real crazy and make it Fighter 5.

I found an article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20031203a) on Wizards archive. It has a bandit lord. He's higher level than you ask for, but you can use him as an inspiration, or just downgrade him to your needs. It even has a neat adventure hook that you can use.

Magemakeboom
2014-09-20, 05:38 PM
Personality is open to debate so run wild!
I'm liking the Binder idea.

As to what kind of bandits he's lording over... I see his minions mostly rogues and rangers. Sneaky ranged opportunists. I would say that he's the boss man due to intimidation. His band is low in numbers but he is ambitious and eager to expand

I would say he is more in the manor due to it being a reclusive and defensible location. (It's been abandoned for 20ish years, but is still in somewhat decent shape)

Blackhawk748
2014-09-20, 06:25 PM
Ok, so here he is.

Astaron, the Bladed Whirlwind
Human Binder 4/Knight of the Sacred Seal 1
Alignment: NE
Str 14 Dex 16 (20 when bound to Paimon) Con 14 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 14

Feats: Imp Binding, Nymphs Kiss, Weapon Focus (Rapier)

Skill, Knowlege Arcana +6, Intimidate +10, Bluff +10
Skill Trick: Never Outnumbered

Astaron is a viscous agile fighter that uses Paimon's Dance of Death ability as often as possible, then uses Never Outnumbered on the second turn. Id give him a pocket cleric to give him a few buffs, a movement enhancer is my recommendation with Blur being the second. Id take either the DR or the HP as his pact augmentation, preferably the same one twice as this will increase his durability.

Personality wise, incredibly viscous, merciless, and a bit full of himself. His men are terrified of him as he can cut down multiple people in the blink of an eye (play that up, as the only other class i know that can pull this off is the Dervish and thats still a level away)

Magemakeboom
2014-09-20, 06:39 PM
That looks like an amazing build for a bandit lord. Absolutely terrifying

Blackhawk748
2014-09-20, 07:03 PM
Glad you liked it, i just flipped through Tome of Magic and thought it seemed fun :smallbiggrin: