PDA

View Full Version : Drawing and Sheathing Weapons

Vowtz
2014-09-20, 07:03 PM
1. If I'm unarmed, can I draw one weapon, throw it to attack a foe, then draw another weapon and throw that too with Extra attack?

2. If I'm wielding two weapons, can I sheathe one weapon, cast a spell, then draw this weapon again?

3. On my turn, Can I draw a weapon, attack, then sheathe that weapon to keep a hand free to cast spells?

Normally you can interact with only one object, but attacking more than once with throwing weapons, like daggers and javelins is something that 5e rules should cover, maybe I overlooked this information, can someone find these rules?

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-20, 07:23 PM
1.) Since you can use a bow more than one time a round (which involves 'drawing' arrows from your quiver) I see no reason you can't throw more than one javelin etc. a turn. It is the same principle.

2.) No, since drawing it again is another action.

3.) No, since sheathing it again is another action.

Rummy
2014-09-20, 07:23 PM
1. If I'm unarmed, can I draw one weapon, throw it to attack a foe, then draw another weapon and throw that too with Extra attack?

2. If I'm wielding two weapons, can I sheathe one weapon, cast a spell, then draw this weapon again?

3. On my turn, Can I draw a weapon, attack, then sheathe that weapon to keep a hand free to cast spells?

Normally you can interact with only one object, but attacking more than once with throwing weapons, like daggers and javelins is something that 5e rules should cover, maybe I overlooked this information, can someone find these rules?

RAW... 1. No. Seems like you need Dual Wielder to draw both weapons simultaneously. 2. No. 3. No.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-20, 07:57 PM
1. Depends on where you are getting your throwing weapons. If it's from something like a javelin quiver or a band of knives, then it would basically be drawing arrows, and yes. If it's from sheaths/ straps on your body, no. That would need dual wielding (it's more complicated/ takes longer to draw from those kinds of holds than it does from an object meant to homd ammo).

2. No, see above posts.

3. Nope, see above posts.

Blackdrop
2014-09-20, 10:22 PM
Concerning 1, I'm going to have to echo Shoe. The "Use an Object" action entry (pg 193) says: "You normally interact with an object while doing something else, such as when you draw a sword as part of an attack...". Ergo, if you make an attack, you can draw a weapon to attack with. Furthermore, drawing and sheathing a weapon is called out as a something that can be done as part of your action and movement (pg 190).

Now about 2 and 3: Maybe. It would probably depend on the leniency of the DM and their understanding/interpretation of the above rule. For me, if your turn was something like (hypothetical player is an eldritch knight):

Move 10 feet (sheathe sword)
Cast cantrip
Move 15 feet
Use bonus action to make melee attack (drawing sword)

I'd let it you do it. But again this would probably come down to the DM.

thereaper
2014-09-21, 05:30 AM
Can you draw a weapon as part of an opportunity attack? I had the idea of a caster with a shield keeping a dagger on hand for the sole purpose of stabbing things that run past him to kill a nearly-dead ally (and then dropping the dagger, since that presumably wouldn't count as an action).

Vowtz
2014-09-21, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all answers!

It apears this falls into "DM rulings", I was hoping something as simple as throwing many daggers in one round would be explicitly allowed by raw.

I'll add that to my houserules.

Can you draw a weapon as part of an opportunity attack? I had the idea of a caster with a shield keeping a dagger on hand for the sole purpose of stabbing things that run past him to kill a nearly-dead ally (and then dropping the dagger, since that presumably wouldn't count as an action).
I fear, since it is not an attack action or movement, this would not be allowed in an attack of opportunity by raw.

As a wizard, by raw, you can:

1. attack,
2. drop the weapon as a free action to use your free hand for casting spells as reaction.
3.on your next turn, pick your weapon on the ground as your one interaction.
4. Repeat from 1.

This "fighting style" has no drawbacks, aside from being ridiculous, if you are fighting a non humanoid creature.

If you are fighting a humanoid creature, leaving your weapon on the ground presents the chance of it being used against you.

I am trying to find a reason to get the warcaster feat, but with this option of "dropping sword fighting style", war caster doesn't seem worth it.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-21, 01:55 PM
If someone kept doing that to me as a dm i'd rule it an AOO.

Vowtz
2014-09-21, 05:49 PM
If someone kept doing that to me as a dm i'd rule it an AOO.

=0

Whyyyyyy?

1337 b4k4
2014-09-21, 07:04 PM
=0

Whyyyyyy?

I can't speak for the previous poster, but as for me, the simple answer is that picking up your weapon off the ground while in melee requires that you take your eyes off your enemy or otherwise stop concentrating on their attacks. You can draw and attack in a fluid motion because it's assumed you've configured your weapons to be immediately accessible (likewise, your mace buried at the bottom of your backpack can't be "drawn" and attacked with on the same turn). When you drop your weapon, it's no longer immediately accessible and in its proper position.

thereaper
2014-09-22, 04:24 AM
Who said anything about picking it up?

The idea I had is that a nonmagical dagger is cheap and can be picked up after the battle (so one simply carries extras to draw, stab, and then drop). Meanwhile, any enemy who wishes to use said dagger against its owner would have to waste their movement picking it up and is probably carrying a better weapon already anyway.

But yes, I suppose by RAW, you wouldn't be able to draw is as part of an AoO. Oh, well.

Mellack
2014-09-22, 03:56 PM
"Pick up a dropped axe" is one of the examples mentioned in the Handbook as something you can do while taking your other actions. It says nothing about any of those actions causing AoO.