PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Templates?

Inevitability
2014-09-21, 04:07 AM
A question I've had for a long, long time is: Can you apply the same template twice to a character? Or is there some obscure rule on page 82 of the Tome of Whatever that prevents me from doing this?

The specific thing I'm talking about is getting infinite strength with Incarnate Construct/Dustform.

ShurikVch
2014-09-21, 04:15 AM
A question I've had for a long, long time is: Can you apply the same template twice to a character? Or is there some obscure rule on page 82 of the Tome of Whatever that prevents me from doing this?

The specific thing I'm talking about is getting infinite strength with Incarnate Construct/Dustform. Usually, you can, if template's descriptions says so. Good example is Evolved Undead:
Note: Unlike most templates, an evolved undead can potentially acquire this template more than once, evolving more with each application. Nevertheless, you can take template, which are similar, but not the same, such as Half-Dragon (Red) and Half-Dragon (Blue), or Prodigy (Strength) and Prodigy (Constitution).

Incarnate Construct/Dustform probably should work, but don't forget about immediate destruction on nat. 20 :smallwink:

ranagrande
2014-09-21, 04:42 AM
That's why you end on Incarnate Construct instead of Dustform.

NI strength for +0 LA!

ShurikVch
2014-09-21, 05:21 AM
That's why you end on Incarnate Construct instead of Dustform.

NI strength for +0 LA! It doesn't matter
"Dustform Creature Weakness" is not an Attack, Special Attack, Special Quality, or Feat, and thus not disappear after the application of Incarnate Construct

Inevitability
2014-09-21, 10:43 AM
It doesn't matter
"Dustform Creature Weakness" is not an Attack, Special Attack, Special Quality, or Feat, and thus not disappear after the application of Incarnate Construct

You could always go for Might Makes Right and Leadership and let your servants do all the dungeon crawling for you.

Necroticplague
2014-09-21, 01:35 PM
Or you can just end as a dustform creature. Being a construct makes you not subject to critical hits, so its weakness doesn't come up (since it can't be critted).

torrasque666
2014-09-21, 01:51 PM
Oddly enough, when it lists its Construct Traits under "Creating a Dustform Creature" (Sand, 162) it instead states "Not subject to extra damage from critical hits..." and given that they then state that a critical from a bludgeoning weapon destroys them implies that they are in fact not​ immune to criticals, just the extra damage. I think this is a case of Specifics trumps General.

Inevitability
2014-09-21, 02:41 PM
Oddly enough, when it lists its Construct Traits under "Creating a Dustform Creature" (Sand, 162) it instead states "Not subject to extra damage from critical hits..." and given that they then state that a critical from a bludgeoning weapon destroys them implies that they are in fact not​ immune to criticals, just the extra damage. I think this is a case of Specifics trumps General.

Then maybe put the Necropolitian template on after you got NI strength?