PDA

View Full Version : Slayer optimization pathfinder

JackRackham
2014-09-21, 02:32 PM
So, I'm making a Tiefling Slayer with 16 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int, 8 Wis, 8 Cha (20 point buy, at level six). So far, I've taken the Reactive trait, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, and a racial feat that gives me +2 natural armor. I'm weilding a +1 keen falchion in two hands.

Now, the character is kind of boringly competent as a damage dealer and skill monkey, and he can do chunks of damage when he crits, sneak attacks, and/or power attacks in some combination. But, what I'm looking for is a way to do bursts of damage reliably. That is, I need a go-to option for when I need to just take someone out. I haven't found a way to reliably get sneak attack (feint is nurfed, even compared to 3.5), power attacking is only as useful as an enemy's AC is low, and even with a keen falchion, crit damage requires me to roll well.

Is there a way to sneak attack mostly at will, or any other way to reliably take something out? So far, the best build options I've found are power critical at level 9 and maybe dodge-mobility-spring attack. What am I missing? In 3.5, I know I could break this, but I'm less familiar with pathfinder.

Thanks, playground, for you help.

EDIT: Also, I took the rogue talent that makes enemies flat-footed when I beat their initiative and the one that let's me sneak attack from 30ft with a bow (as insurance, I know it's outside the focus of the character). And I have a mithral breastplate (for 21 AC, 18 FF) , a composite bow mighty 3, and a Handy Haversack. Most of the rest of my starting gold went to mundane gear, mounts, etc.

Feint's End
2014-09-21, 09:04 PM
Flanking obviously works if you have a halfway competent other melee in your group. Otherwise Invisibility (Greater later on) is a good starter in combats.
Path of War helps too if it's ok at your table (there are some nice maneuvers you can get which help you flatfooting your enemy).

JackRackham
2014-09-21, 09:28 PM
Is that like the pathfinder version of ToB?

Nihilarian
2014-09-21, 09:36 PM
You should be capable of Sneak Attacking at 30ft. without a talent.

Anyway, Path of War is indeed PF ToB. Check out the Stalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/stalker).

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-21, 09:37 PM
Yep. It's by Dreamscarred Press, which means it's practically an official Pathfinder suplement.

Sayt
2014-09-22, 03:04 AM
You should be power attack just about all the time, as a matter of course, as your focus should basically make up for the penalty until well into late game.

You also want Cornugon Smash and Shatter Defences. Cornugon Smash lets you shake an enemy by power attacking, and shatter defenses lets you treat shaken enemies as flatfooted. Ergo, you can sneak attack shaken enemies.

Greenish
2014-09-22, 03:11 AM
Also, I took the rogue talent that makes enemies flat-footed when I beat their initiative and the one that let's me sneak attack from 30ft with a bow (as insurance, I know it's outside the focus of the character).Are you sure you're reading those talents right? Because if you beat someone's initiative, they're almost certainly flat-footed anyway, and you can sneak attack from 30 ft. even without a talent, as mentioned.

JackRackham
2014-09-22, 07:12 AM
I was indeed misreading those talents. Again, my familiarity with Pathfinder is limited, and I thought perhaps these were not automatic the way they are in 3.5. But no, Sniper's Eye allows you to sneak attack enemies with concealment (still useful; less crucial) and Surprise Attack allows you to SA in the surprise round when enemies have already acted (ie, beat your initiative).

Also, thanks for the feat suggestions. That helps.