PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Barbarian Primal Path Homebrew

BRKNdevil
2014-09-21, 02:39 PM
K, So with the input of a few people i decided on this following setup

Fighter Barbarian
You are a trained madman who keeps focus and remembers his training in the red haze of RAGE.

Fighting Style
At 3nd level, you adopt a style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
Protection: When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use you reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
Maybe Two Weapon Fighting as well?

Improved Critical
At 6th level, your weapon attacks score a critical on a 19 or 20

Ability Score Improvement
At 10th Level...
Ability Score Improvement or Feat
With the extra training you put yourself through you train your body or learn more tricks than the average barbarian.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 14th level, you can attack 3 times when you make an attack action

Reason for this setup is to show a barbarian that went through professional training and study like a fighter would normally endure. So then it leverages the higher crit range and his reckless attacks to trigger the additional weapon dice from the barbarian class features to add to the critical hits. With the extra attack gained at the end i think its like a 50% chance to get a crit once a round. But for some reason I can do force moment balance equations but statistics i screw up on so if someone else can do the math that would be lovely.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-21, 05:47 PM
really? no comments at all?

AuraTwilight
2014-09-21, 06:27 PM
It's only been 3 hours, dude, relax.

This feels very Fighter-y. Is that intentional?

BRKNdevil
2014-09-21, 07:05 PM
Yes, mainly because it wouldn't leave, i don't know why. I think because it wasn't a complete idea without a path name and a 10th level ability. So the premises is a barbarian that thinks more thus fitting the imagery of a man of higher standing such as a noble who has access to a higher level of training

DiBastet
2014-09-21, 09:55 PM
you might want to just slap the fighter champion subclass as a barbarian option and call it a day

BRKNdevil
2014-09-22, 12:13 AM
you might want to just slap the fighter champion subclass as a barbarian option and call it a day

can't, fighter subclasses have 5 things, barbarians only have 4

Composer99
2014-09-22, 09:51 AM
I would say that 'primal path' seems like a misnomer for a barbarian that is less, er, barbarian-y.

Personally when I think 'primal' I would think of a barbarian more in tune with the wild (perhaps even getting some near-druid abilities) than not, which seems to be the opposite of this path.

Looking at the 10th-level ability, I don't have any specific suggestions at present, but I might suggest that if there are any penalties the barbarian suffers while raging (i.e. unable to concentrate, or do things requiring focus, concentration, or whatever) that perhaps the barbarian can rage without them, if only for a brief while. Alternately, maybe the barbarian can get a couple of Battlemaster Fighter manoeuvres?

BRKNdevil
2014-09-22, 10:41 AM
Looking at the 10th-level ability, I don't have any specific suggestions at present, but I might suggest that if there are any penalties the barbarian suffers while raging (i.e. unable to concentrate, or do things requiring focus, concentration, or whatever) that perhaps the barbarian can rage without them, if only for a brief while. Alternately, maybe the barbarian can get a couple of Battlemaster Fighter manoeuvres?

So something like the Martial Adept Feat? So would giving it for free be fine then? Or would that d6 be to weak at this point?

Amnoriath
2014-09-22, 12:01 PM
It popped into my head and now it won't go away so i'm posting it in order to do so. Its a new primal path for barbarians

No name currently so suggestions here would be nice
The over achiever. You actually put some thought in how you fight and move in the battlefield as you rage about the things that make you mad.

Fighting Style
At 3nd level, you adopt a style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
Protection: When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use you reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
Maybe Two Weapon Fighting and/or Archery here as well?

Improved Critical
At 6th level, your weapon attacks score a critical on a 19 or 20

Currently looking for something decently balanced here
At 10th Level...

Extra Attack
Beginning at 14th level, you can attack 3 times when you make an attack action

I am assuming this is 5e. I really don't know much about it but this feels way too much like a fighter. Maybe instead give it a spiritual feel to it by inserting fluff of spirits of ancestors, animals..etc. The use this to make quick magical items and attunements. You could still have a couple of your abilities claiming the spirits are giving you guidance in your blows.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-22, 01:12 PM
I am assuming this is 5e. I really don't know much about it but this feels way too much like a fighter. Maybe instead give it a spiritual feel to it by inserting fluff of spirits of ancestors, animals..etc. The use this to make quick magical items and attunements. You could still have a couple of your abilities claiming the spirits are giving you guidance in your blows.

I'm assuming you didn't actually read what i was going for and leave it at that. Though that does give me ideas for incarnum to be sent into 5e.