PDA

View Full Version : The HPoH's spirit came from...

Lexible
2014-09-21, 05:28 PM
The escaped Haerta (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0641.html), epic Necromancer extraordinaire? No? What you think?

Kish
2014-09-21, 05:30 PM
I doubt Haerta was born in Hel's hall.

(Also, she was Neutral Evil; the High Priest of Hel seems as Lawful as Durkon himself. "Service is my sole purpose, my lady.")

137beth
2014-09-21, 10:55 PM
There is nothing else relevant to the plot about the souls in the splice. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?212381-Wouldn-t-people-like-to-buy-a-book-about-the-lives-of-Haerta-Ganonron-and-Jephton/page2&p=11686399#post11686399)
(Also, Kish wins).

Gift Jeraff
2014-09-21, 10:58 PM
My understanding is that the vampire spirit is a brand new being born of negative energy, not a recycled soul.

brian 333
2014-09-21, 11:05 PM
It is my opinion that the spirit was created at the time Durkon was vamped, and had no previous existence whatsoever. It is a construct of negative energy which, like a robot, is programmed to behave a particular way. It didn't begin to achieve self-awareness until it began to absorb Durkon's memories under Malak's guidance, but it's mission was built in in the same way that crappy office product crap is built into my Windows program. (What's with that crap anyway? Does anybody even use that stuff? Why does Microsoft waste my computer resources on junk programs that aren't worth the time it takes to try them out?)

ti'esar
2014-09-22, 01:15 AM
It is my opinion that the spirit was created at the time Durkon was vamped, and had no previous existence whatsoever. It is a construct of negative energy which, like a robot, is programmed to behave a particular way. It didn't begin to achieve self-awareness until it began to absorb Durkon's memories under Malak's guidance, but it's mission was built in in the same way that crappy office product crap is built into my Windows program. (What's with that crap anyway? Does anybody even use that stuff? Why does Microsoft waste my computer resources on junk programs that aren't worth the time it takes to try them out?)

That's an interesting theory as to why the spirit's personality seems to somewhat resemble a warped mirror of Durkon's.

factotum
2014-09-22, 03:02 AM
(What's with that crap anyway? Does anybody even use that stuff? Why does Microsoft waste my computer resources on junk programs that aren't worth the time it takes to try them out?)

Microsoft don't--you don't get trial versions of Office free with Windows, presumably whoever you bought your PC from included it as something they thought you'd like to have. Oh, and the only resource those programs are wasting if you never run them is disk space, and an uninstall will fix that issue if it's something you're worried about.

On topic: Yeah, I agree with the general trend--while the comment from Rich linked earlier doesn't explicitly say that he will never use Haerta again in any capacity, there are too many other logical reasons why this spirit *can't* be her (birthed in Hel's halls, no sign of necromantic powers, doesn't appear as Haerta did when in spirit conversations inside Durkon's mind) to make this theory fly, IMHO.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-22, 05:01 AM
I doubt Haerta was born in Hel's hall.

(Also, she was Neutral Evil; the High Priest of Hel seems as Lawful as Durkon himself. "Service is my sole purpose, my lady.")

This. Haerta just doesn't match up with how the High Priest of Hel was described in 946.

NerdyKris
2014-09-22, 09:49 AM
There's very little plot relevence as well. Both spirits are blank slates. The only thing we know about Haerta is the Familicide spell, and a few generic evil phrases. Any insight into the plot that she might have could be instantly conveyed to Durkula by Hel if needed. We see that Tiamat knows of the IFCC and Vaarsuvius's usage of Familicide. There's no reason Hel wouldn't know this too. There would be nothing gained from reusing Haerta that couldn't be filled with a brand new character, because we know nothing about Haerta.

She doesn't fit at all. She's a necromancer, not a cleric. She was gloating about being free when she broke away from Vaarsuvius, so why would she be declaring fealty to Hel? It would basically be a completely different response than before. And of course, why would she look like Durkon, not understand memories, claim to have been birthed in Hel's hall, and all the other indications that Durkula is a new being created for Durkon's body?

littlebum2002
2014-09-22, 01:30 PM
That's an interesting theory as to why the spirit's personality seems to somewhat resemble a warped mirror of Durkon's.

I must have missed this. What do they have in common besides both being Lawful?

Keltest
2014-09-22, 01:34 PM

Pretty much that, but given how little character development Durkon has gotten, that's all they really need.

Kish
2014-09-22, 01:44 PM
Do you know anything that distinguishes him from every other vampire dwarf? *ducks*

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-22, 04:43 PM

Mostly, it's in the way they express heir wakefulness by both being very devoted to their gods. Durkon has so few pronounced traits though, so it's not difficult.

137beth
2014-09-22, 06:08 PM
The MitD is a reincarnation of Haerta!