PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Fey?

Anachronity
2014-09-21, 06:22 PM
I was brainstorming a cool plot twist for a campaign I'm about to run, which would primarily serve as a segue into the high levels once they finish the first big story arc and beat the current BBEG. Both of the party casters are psionic, so I wanted to do something psionic themed.

Drawing on my extensive experience with MTG, I decided the villain would be Zuna, Queen of Whispers (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370429). Psionics seems especially fitting for the idea of a fairy queen who steals dreams.

She herself will almost certainly be homebrewed, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any official WOTC material involving psionic fey that I might use as an inspiration/resource. The phrenic template is a good start, but a bit generic (even if it does combo well with the already-high charisma of fey creatures). I would also be interested in any official fairies who steal dreams.

Irk
2014-09-21, 06:56 PM
WoTC released some psionic fey here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20070711a). As for the dream stuff, I know that there are a lot is a lot of Eberron material that concerns dreams (Forced Dream, Quori, etc.). Hope this helps.

Anachronity
2014-09-21, 07:30 PM
Oh yes, that's perfect. Thanks!

I also forgot about the Quori, those lovable bastards. Strange, considering I own a Tsucora Quori miniature which I use to represent my Eidolon in Pathfinder Society.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-21, 08:33 PM
The following all have interesting dream material, especially MotP.

Heroes of Horror
Secrets of Sarlona
Manual of the Planes
Savage Species
Complete Divine

Bastion of Broken Souls has a spell call Dream Image, which puts
you to sleep and creates an unequiped dream form next to your
sleeping form to wander the waking world with.

Joystealers MMIV and Jaebrins MMV both seem like they would adept
well to psionics, just add a psionic class level and good to go.
The psionic versions of the Giths can be made into fey, just add
the Half-Fey or Unseelie templates and your ready to rock.

Shinken
2014-09-21, 11:57 PM
Joystealers are so cool.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-22, 12:20 AM
Joystealers are so cool.

Repeated due to truthiness.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-22, 07:16 AM
Are you dead set on official material? Because psionics and fey were sort of Vorpal Tribble's shtick. And there's some third party stuff.

Rubik
2014-09-22, 08:06 AM
Hyperconscious deals with psionics and dreams. Like, a LOT. And it was written by the author of the XPH, so you know it's good.

Anachronity
2014-09-22, 09:58 PM
The main reason I like core is because it's a bit more self-consistent. I'll take inspiration where I can find it, but using creatures as-is from random sources means that there are weird little inconsistencies which will bother me (why is this incorporeal dream fey vulnerable to non-magic cold iron weapons whereas this incorporeal dream fey isn't?). If I have to change half their stats then I'm better off just homebrewing exactly what I want from the start.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-22, 10:01 PM
VTs stuff is solid and frankly better than most of what's in MMII and MMIII.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?145433-The-Vorpal-Tribble-s-Creation-Compendium-(Now-with-more-cowbell!)

Anachronity
2014-09-23, 03:39 PM
Erm, well, I can't help but notice there's an entry for a "wave 'o babies". Looking through some of his other entries I see a lot of cool ideas (eyeball swarm) that aren't all that well-implemented (2d6 Will saves per round to avoid daze/frighten; will permastun anyone with HD < 4 regardless of saves and mildly inconvenience anyone with HD > 6).

There's certainly some creative ones though.