PDA

View Full Version : Your absolute favorite monty python scene.

Traab
2014-09-21, 07:51 PM
I was wandering around the internet, when I came across what has to be my personal favorite scene ever. The Black Knight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4) There is just something so perfect about the delivery of the knight. "I've had worse." Also, "Right, I'll do you for that! "You'll WHAT?!" What is your favorite? Everything from the movies, to the flying circus show to whatever with them in it.

Terraoblivion
2014-09-21, 08:16 PM
The scene from Life of Brian where The People's Front of Judea try to have a stirring discussion of how the Romans have given them nothing...Only to be constantly sidetracked by people bringing up another thing the Romans have given them until Reg can finally dismiss peace as a worthless thing. Maybe you need to have a background in political activism to truly appreciate it, but it's a pretty glorious takedown of all kinds of radical groups and their often half-hearted and hypocritical nature when you scratch the surface a bit.

Thrudd
2014-09-21, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say as much as I like Holy Grail, Life of Brian has my favorite stuff. The mishearing of the sermon the mount by the people at the back of the crowd. The scene where Brian accidentally founds a religious movement when he jumps up in front of the crowd to evade the guards, which immediately turns into two competing factions that hate eachother: "It's a sandal! It's a shoe!"
The aforementioned discussion of how the Roman's haven't given anybody anything (except sanitation, law and order...)
Pontius Pilate's speech impediment, and the guards cracking up at the improper name of his good friend..."anybody else feew wike wittle giggle, when I say the name..."
The centurion's correcting of Brian's conjugation of Latin in his graffiti.
Just so much good in that movie.

Barmoz
2014-09-21, 10:10 PM
For me it's the Four Yorkshiremen, so many epic lines.

Dienekes
2014-09-21, 11:01 PM
Jeez, how can you pick just one?

Between, the Argument Clinic, I'm a Lumberjack, the Dead Parrot, Fish Slapping Dance, the Larch, Ministry of Silly Walks, The Spanish Inquisition, Philosophers Playing Football, Upperclass Twit of the Year, and that's not even getting into the movies with the likes of French Taunting, Biggus Diccus, Romans Go Home, Castle in the Swamp. So, one of those. Unless I suddenly think of one better.

Rodin
2014-09-21, 11:20 PM
The Art of Hiding and the Self Defense Against Fruit sketches always have a special place in my heart.

BWR
2014-09-22, 12:17 AM
Favorite? That's like asking which of my brain cells I like the most. Sure there are some that are better than others and there're even a couple that aren't particularly funny at all, but on the whole MP was just too consistently brilliant to pick just one thing.

Thrudd
2014-09-22, 12:34 AM
The Art of Hiding and the Self Defense Against Fruit sketches always have a special place in my heart.

I know. So many. Can't choose a favorite.

"What if he has a pointed stick?!" "SHADDAP!"

Eldan
2014-09-22, 02:14 AM
Probably the Silly Job Interview. It just works so well.

factotum
2014-09-22, 02:38 AM

Yeah, that's probably my favourite Python scene ever. "What's this? People called Romanes, they go the house?"...classic.

Traab
2014-09-22, 10:43 AM
What I liked was learning that a lot of their funny lines were also backed up in historical facts or just had some meaning beyond being silly words. For example, "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" was not just a freaking odd set of insults, it meant your mother is a w*ore and your father is a drunk. See, I didnt know that when I saw the film, I just took it as more silliness like "I fart in your general direction" Also, I think "kniggits" was how the french back then would have pronounced the word knights. Not sure on that one, but I dont think it was a random mispronunciation.

Now if only someone could explain wtf was going on with those skits over whether a word is "woody" or "tinny"

DigoDragon
2014-09-22, 10:45 AM
Oooh, hard to pick just one. I'd... probably go with the Black Knight scene, as it's one I've quoted far too many times.

Metahuman1
2014-09-22, 11:30 AM
Ouch. Hard Choice.

"I'M NOT THE MESSIAH!"

"NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

"You cannot be on broadway if you don't have any Jew's!" (And subsequent fall out. It's from the Spamalot play, and that bit and it's fall out alone are worth it.)

"Chapter 24."

"Bring Out, The Holy Hand Grenade Of Antiarch!"

"I'm being oppressed!"

TheEmerged
2014-09-22, 11:37 AM
No contest for me, has to be the first "siege" of the castle in Holy Grail.

Yora
2014-09-23, 07:18 AM
Goooooorn...

Traab
2014-09-23, 01:36 PM
Goooooorn...

Erogenous ZOOOOOOONE!

Tengu_temp
2014-09-23, 06:01 PM
When I saw it the first time, the Aristocratic Twit of the Year sketch made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

BannedInSchool
2014-09-23, 06:06 PM
And Oliver has run himself over!

Manly Man
2014-09-23, 07:47 PM
A Lesson In Logic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqs36C5sgM). It's not a video scene, but still. Not very safe for work, if profanity is bad in your office.

Zea mays
2014-09-23, 08:12 PM
I've always been partial to the sci-fy sketch. The one involving beings from the planet skyron in the galaxy of Andromeda.

There is also one bit that involves just John Cleese. It follows a 20~ era play about murder and train schedules, and it's just him giving an epic and utterly hillarious rant in the character of a fatuous critic.

GPuzzle
2014-09-23, 08:13 PM
I'm gonna have to say that the "I'm here to have an argument" sketch just makes me laugh an awful lot.

Traab
2014-09-23, 08:59 PM
No it doesnt.

GPuzzle
2014-09-23, 09:06 PM
Yes, it does!

Rodin
2014-09-24, 12:37 AM
Ok, not a sketch, but for some reason the giant hedgehog who was after the gangster Dinsdale has always remained with me. I can't see a hedgehog or hear the name Dinsdale without saying

DINSDAAAAAALE!

CynicalAvocado
2014-09-24, 01:05 AM
i liked the constitutional peasants bit from the holy grail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY&list=UUGm3CO6LPcN-Y7HIuyE0Rew)

Brother Oni
2014-09-24, 02:10 AM
Yeah, that's probably my favourite Python scene ever. "What's this? People called Romanes, they go the house?"...classic.

Mine too. I wouldn't say my Latin teacher would draw a gladius on you if you mucked it up, but his disapproving look was a close second. :smallbiggrin:

Manly Man
2014-09-24, 03:56 AM
i liked the constitutional peasants bit from the holy grail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY&list=UUGm3CO6LPcN-Y7HIuyE0Rew)

Relevance. (http://i.imgur.com/gt5d5Ux.jpg)

The_Snark
2014-09-24, 04:09 AM
Ok, not a sketch, but for some reason the giant hedgehog who was after the gangster Dinsdale has always remained with me. I can't see a hedgehog or hear the name Dinsdale without saying

DINSDAAAAAALE!

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was the only one.

The mafia sketch (in which two guys try to shake down a military base for protection money) sticks in my memory too, I don't know why.

"All dem tanks. Be a shame if somefin were to... happen to one of 'em, knowhatImean?"

Yora
2014-09-24, 04:51 AM
"NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"

Nobody expects the s- ...oh, bugger.

DigoDragon
2014-09-24, 07:04 AM
"And now for something completely different. A man, with three buttocks."

Yora
2014-09-24, 07:32 AM
A man with a tape recorder up his nose.

Kato
2014-09-24, 08:33 AM
The scene from Life of Brian where The People's Front of Judea try to have a stirring discussion of how the Romans have given them nothing...Only to be constantly sidetracked by people bringing up another thing the Romans have given them [...]

(For once) I have to agree with Terra, that scene is hilarious. :smallbiggrin: ([url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vufQIxLvw]It also was the basis for this originally German sketch against anti-EU parties and movements) Life of Brian is overall my favorite Python work, though, full of great moments all around.
The Black Knight is funny and iconic as well but it lacks the serious "subtext" of this one.

Reddish Mage
2014-09-24, 12:27 PM
The Spanish Inquisition! I expected the spanish inquisition to be more popular.

Mono Vertigo
2014-09-24, 01:01 PM
"You're all individuals!"
"I'm not!"

I'm gonna have to say that the "I'm here to have an argument" sketch just makes me laugh an awful lot.

... and this one.

Traab
2014-09-24, 01:08 PM
"Whats on the telly?"
"It looks like a penguin."

I admit to laughing through the early part with the radio program "The death of Mary Queen of Scots" But the rest was just amusing as heck.

Aedilred
2014-09-24, 03:06 PM
For me it's the Four Yorkshiremen, so many epic lines.

The Four Yorkshiremen, great as it was, was originally from the At Last the 1948 Show, a precursor to Python which included some Python members. They did later do it on stage as Python, though.

I'm not sure if the original ALT1948S version is still available: a lot of that show was wiped in the BBC's cultural revolution in the 70s.

BWR
2014-09-24, 03:13 PM
The Four Yorkshiremen, great as it was, was originally from the At Last the 1948 Show, a precursor to Python which included some Python members. They did later do it on stage as Python, though.

I'm not sure if the original ALT1948S version is still available: a lot of that show was wiped in the BBC's cultural revolution in the 70s.

They have it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo) on the DVD version I have of ALT1948S.

McStabbington
2014-09-24, 08:56 PM
When I first watched Monty Python, at about 16 or 17 or so, I found the story of the giant blemanges coming to earth and turning everyone into Scotland nearly pass-out-laughing funny. It's a little less so now that I've gotten older. In it's place, I'd have to put the argument sketch. The more you know about formal logic and philosophical argumentation, the funnier that sketch gets, actually.

Barmoz
2014-09-24, 09:52 PM

The only version I've seen is from the Hollywood Bowl, but now I'll have to try and track that down, thanks!

BWR
2014-09-25, 03:20 AM
I posted a link 3 posts up.-

Killer Angel
2014-09-25, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say as much as I like Holy Grail, Life of Brian has my favorite stuff. The mishearing of the sermon the mount by the people at the back of the crowd. The scene where Brian accidentally founds a religious movement when he jumps up in front of the crowd to evade the guards, which immediately turns into two competing factions that hate eachother: "It's a sandal! It's a shoe!"
The aforementioned discussion of how the Roman's haven't given anybody anything (except sanitation, law and order...)
Pontius Pilate's speech impediment, and the guards cracking up at the improper name of his good friend..."anybody else feew wike wittle giggle, when I say the name..."
Just so much good in that movie.

Yep, in my book, Life of Brian wins easily, hands down. And the bolded part is probably the absolute winner.

DigoDragon
2014-09-25, 06:59 AM
"Look my lad, I know a dead parrot when I see one and I'm looking at one right now."
"No, no it's not dead it's resting..."

Yora
2014-09-25, 07:05 AM
I didn't want to work in a pet shop...

smellie_hippie
2014-09-25, 08:57 AM
Audio sketch of them all complaining about how rough they had it in life.
"I have to get to work at 3:00 in the morning, half an hour before I go to bed, and had nothing but gravel for lunch"
"...Luxury"

That and "Every Sperm is Sacred" from the Meaning of Life.

Dienekes
2014-09-25, 09:13 AM
I didn't want to work in a pet shop...

Dear Sir,

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the song which you have just broadcast about the lumberjack who wears women's clothes. Many of my best friends are lumberjacks, and only a few of them are transvestites.

Yours faithfully,
Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong (Mrs.)

To add to this, I don't know why exactly but I always got a kick out of the general complaining about the sketches being too silly, and that one with the disgusting and deadly candies.

Random side story:
When I was in high school, a bunch of my bodies and I thought it would be funny to try out for the school talent show with a rendition of I'm a Lumberjack. So the six of us stood in front of a panel of other students who obviously had no clue what the hell was going on singing about wearing women's clothing. Except for the one teacher in the corner who was laughing his ass off.

We were not selected. Apparently, because we did not fit the theme that the talent show was going for. However, a group of guys who played with yoyos in the dark were selected, despite having nothing to do with any theme either. There's no justice in the world.

pita
2014-09-25, 09:57 AM
I just rewatched And Now For Something Completely Different with my father.
The single most glaring omission in the movie?
I honestly expected the Spanish Inquisition.
It's also a skit I get a lot of mileage out of in day-to-day life, when someone is giving me a hard time. It automatically defuses any tense situation.

Yora
2014-09-25, 10:19 AM
Audio sketch of them all complaining about how rough they had it in life.
"I have to get to work at 3:00 in the morning, half an hour before I go to bed, and had nothing but gravel for lunch"
"...Luxury"
We were evicted from our hole in the ground!

SaintRidley
2014-09-25, 11:14 AM
What I liked was learning that a lot of their funny lines were also backed up in historical facts or just had some meaning beyond being silly words. For example, "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" was not just a freaking odd set of insults, it meant your mother is a w*ore and your father is a drunk. See, I didnt know that when I saw the film, I just took it as more silliness like "I fart in your general direction" Also, I think "kniggits" was how the french back then would have pronounced the word knights. Not sure on that one, but I dont think it was a random mispronunciation.

Now if only someone could explain wtf was going on with those skits over whether a word is "woody" or "tinny"

Think how the Germans pronounce the word "Nicht", and throw a k sound at the beginning. That's how the English would have pronounced it in Middle English. "Kniggits" is definitely playing off that.

As a translator, the Hungarian Phrasebook sketch wins hands down for me.

Traab
2014-09-25, 11:29 AM
Think how the Germans pronounce the word "Nicht", and throw a k sound at the beginning. That's how the English would have pronounced it in Middle English. "Kniggits" is definitely playing off that.

As a translator, the Hungarian Phrasebook sketch wins hands down for me.

I knew it was something like that. But still, thats what I find fascinating about a lot of their humor, there was more behind it than "I just flew in from Hoboken and BOY are my arms tired!" /rimshot There was social commentary, historical accuracy used for laughs, and you didnt have to get ANY of that to laugh your arse off, but when you did, it made things even funnier. Someone mentioned the argument clinic sketch, thats another good one, because yeah, all that stuff he was saying about what makes an argument an argument is the truth. (no it isnt!) Shut up! It totally is!

GPuzzle
2014-09-25, 11:49 AM
I think that's the whole appeal of Monty Python, really. They combine the sheer insanity and hilarity of their own nonsense made of slapstick and dry wit with humor that gets funnier the more you understand about everything, really. Politics, philosophy, history. It's amazing.

BWR
2014-09-25, 12:04 PM
I think that's the whole appeal of Monty Python, really. They combine the sheer insanity and hilarity of their own nonsense made of slapstick and dry wit with humor that gets funnier the more you understand about everything, really. Politics, philosophy, history. It's amazing.

True. The Philosophers' Football Match was fun. Then I took a few philosophy courses at uni and it was hilarious. I had to have a football fan explain to me why Beckenbauer was funny, though.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-25, 12:08 PM
Look here, then. This thread is entirely too silly. Let's take it in a different direction or I'll have to shut it down.

Besides, the absolute best scene is the one nobody expects.

Indignantly,
The Colonel

BWR
2014-09-25, 12:25 PM
It's a man's life moderating these forums.

Yora
2014-09-25, 12:32 PM
True. The Philosophers' Football Match was fun. Then I took a few philosophy courses in it at uni and it was hilarious. I had to have a football fan explain to me why Beckenbauer was funny, though.

I love this one.

...and Marx claims it was offside.

Scublacus_Venn
2014-09-29, 08:27 PM
This is an ex-parrot.

Kymme
2014-09-29, 11:05 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of the Ministry of Silly Walks. That's about as close as I've ever come to laughing to death. XD

Eldan
2014-09-30, 01:32 AM
I love this one.

...and Marx claims it was offside.

A propos Marx, who won the English football cup in 1979?