PDA

View Full Version : Use an Object question

mister__joshua
2014-09-22, 06:59 AM
Hi Playground

I have a couple of questions about the Use an Object action, and how it relates to the Rogue's Fast Hands.
1) Is a Magic Item/Wand an object?
2) What uses does this ability have?

It seems that if magic items are objects then it's a great ability, and if they're not then it has very limited use. I really want to try the Thief rogue. I prefer the concept and some of the abilities are nifty but the Assassin rogue is so strong from as early as level 3 that it's a tough choice. The ability to use magic items as a bonus action would certainly make the choice worthwhile.

I also have doubts about how useful the rogue's ability to use any magic item will be now that the number of items available has significantly reduced.

Any thoughts or answers on this would be appreciated. We're starting our 5e game soon and I'm still not set on what to play.

Cheers

Josh

Glarnog
2014-09-22, 08:10 AM
1) Yes, but the Use an Objection action means drawing, or stowing or some other manipulation of the objects as part of using your turns action to attack or cast.

"Use an Object
You normally interact with an object while doing
something else, such as when you draw a sword as part
of an attack. When an object requires your action for
its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action
is also useful when you want to interact with more than
one object on your turn."

2. Really up to your imagination and situation. It is not designed for an attack or casting. Neither is the 13th lvl Rogue Thief ability of UMD.

"Use Magic Device
By 13th level, you have learned enough about the
workings of magic that you can improvise the use of
items even when they are not intended for you. You
ignore all class, race, and level requirements on the use
of magic items."

You would still need to use your action to cast/attack with the item. It could be used to help swap out a staff or wand after using your action to cast from it to pull out a shield or something else. Or to be able to open a door, use your action to cast a spell from the wand or staff in hand, then close the door on your turn. Normally with out an extra Use an Object action you could only open the door.

The wand or staff powers the character to cast the spell(s) from the item instead of having to use a prepared spell and a spell slot. The character would still be using their action to do so, just not having to have that spell prepared nor having to use one of the character's slots. With Staves the character would need to have the spells on their classes's spell list. Where as wands seem to let anyone at all use them.

Each turn characters can take one action and one move. Cunning action allows Rogues to take a Bonus action to Hide, Disengage or Dash. A 3rd level Rogue Theif also gets to add Slight of hands ( but only for picking locks and disarming traps) and Use Object to their list of possible bonus actions.

Based on the few items out now and how they work, UMD would maybe apply to casting from Scrolls and or Staves. More are sure to follow with the release of the DMG in Dec.