PDA

View Full Version : Part-Time Bunkmates - SotVD

banthesun
2014-09-22, 08:46 AM
((This thread's taking place sometime between the moving in thread and the shopping thread.))

Hi! <3 Sorry I couldn't email you earlier, I was on clean up duty today, even though I've barely settled in here. (>_<) Anyway, did you catch that new show the other night, the one with th-

Kyoko flipped her phone shut in a hurry and held it to her chest as she heard the door to her dorm room opening. She'd been lying on her back in her bunk, and she casually looked to the door to see who was disturbing her privacy. She'd been expecting one of her roommates coming in to get something, and that she could simply ignore them until they went back out. But this time that wasn't the case...

Kioku
2014-09-22, 09:03 AM
I hope this is really alright, like they said... Asami peeks her head into the room across from where she'll be staying at this new (to her) dorm and glances around to ensure she's not interrupting anyone by entering. "Ah, hello. It's..." I've already met one of the other two who are in this room, and she doesn't match the description for the other, so she must be... "Ueda-san, right? Kimura Asami, I just got here earlier today. I'm... ahh... terribly sorry to intrude, but Hepaunton-san has to clear her things from the bunk I'll be staying in... so I hoped it might be alright if I used the spare one in here tonight. Maybe tomorrow too, there was quite a lot up there - I offered to help, but..." she shrugs and smiles sheepishly.

banthesun
2014-09-22, 09:28 AM
Kyoko sat up on her bed, slipping her phone into the mess of soft toys behind her as she did so. She'd known there were new people moving in, and it looked like she'd just met one of them.

"Asami?" she echoed, commiting the name to memory. The girl was significantly taller than she was, but she was Japanese. With all the foreigners in the dorms, Kyoko found this something of a relief. She stood to greet her.

"Ueda Kyoko, pleasure to meet you!" she said with a short bow. "You've been assigned the bunk above Lenora's? Wait..."

Kyoko's eyes widened. She'd seen that bunk, and how much expensive looking stuff had been piled on it. Lenora was scary enough already, without having to make her move her hoard. The thought made Kyoko begin to fuss over the new girl.

"Yeah, you can take this bunk! It's still free. I think the sheets are still fresh, or we could find some new ones if they're dusty."

Kyoko poked her head up to check, standing on her tippytoes.

Kioku
2014-09-22, 09:40 AM
Asami can't help it - she lets out a giggle at the sudden change in the other girl's demeanor. "Pleased to meet you too!" She doesn't seem to at all mind the familiar use of her name, or at least doesn't comment on it as she steps into the room to try to peer above Kyoko at the bed in question. "I'm sure it'll be fine," she laughs, looking back down with a smile. "Are you sure that Lindell-san and ... I'm sorry, I'm afraid I never got the other girl's name who lives here. But, that they won't mind a guest, either?" The situation seems fairly foreign to Asami, as though she hasn't lived with others like this before, or at least in a long while. She takes a step back so as not to cast a shadow over Kyoko or invade her personal space, and fiddles with her lace gloves a little.

banthesun
2014-09-22, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately, it looked like the top bunk was a bit dusty. Not too enough to make it unusable, but Kyoko was starting to feel like the host here, so she'd treat Asami as the guest.

"It wouldn't be any trouble. I think I saw some spare sheets in the bottom of the cupboard, so we could at least change the top sheet for you."

Kyoko still wasn't that familiar with the dorms herself, but she decided she needed to make the call to allow Asami to stay. She couldn't in good faith make her pressure Lenora any more tonight.

"Brianna? I'm sure they'll be fine," she said with a smile. "I don't really know her that well yet, but she didn't mind me moving in!"

At least, Kyoko really hoped she hadn't...

Kioku
2014-09-22, 10:11 AM
"I really don't m- ... thank you." Asami visibly relaxes and her shoulders drop. She looks about to hug Kyoko, but holds herself back, instead taking off her shoulder bags and moving to remove the current sheets. If it makes her happy to do this, I suppose it doesn't hurt to have a touch more laundry. "I wonder how long it'll take to get used to a bed..." she muses to herself absently.

banthesun
2014-09-22, 10:35 AM
When Asami relaxes, Kyoko feels certain she'd made the right choice. She untucks the top sheet, and starts to roll it up, talking as she works.

Well, I'd never slept in a bunk-bed before either. It was maybe a bit claustrophobic at first, but I think it helped that I'd brought along half of my old bed anyway" She gestures to the row of soft toys against the wall. "Though I guess it might be different on the top bunk? You don't roll around too much, do you?"

Finished with the old sheet, Kyoko pulls out an identical one from the bottom of the cupboard.

"Ooh, a spare pillowcase too, here you go!"

After passing Asami the pillowcase, Kyoko starts unfolding the sheet. She uses a strange motion, mostly working with her right hand, only using her left to keep the sheet from trailing on the ground.

Kioku
2014-09-22, 10:48 AM
"I don't think that I roll around too much... I couldn't say for sure, but I should be fine." Asami blinks as she watches Kyoko rapidly do the job she was just about to start on, and sets her bags on the floor. "At least let me do something to help, hmm?" Asami laughs slightly while reaching to help with the sheets after laying the pillowcase over one shoulder to put on later. "So claustrophobic. Because the other bed is so near, it's an enclosed space? I imagine it'll be similar with the top, since the ceiling is so near as well... good thing the ceilings here are high I suppose. Still, no telling how it'll compare to a futon."

banthesun
2014-09-22, 11:08 AM
"Sure. If you can tuck in the other side that'd help, thanks."

Kyoko gives her one side of the sheet, and then takes the other to tuck in near the wall.

"A futon? That's so traditional." The thought that perhaps Asami's family had a small apartment only came to Kyoko after she'd said it, so she continued talking to try and play it off. "The beds here are alright though, I'm sure you'll settle in before too long! For me it was a bigger change sharing a room with the other girls. I've never had any siblings, but it was easier to get used to than I expected!"

Kioku
2014-09-22, 11:28 AM
Asami seems to completely close off at the implied mention of sharing rooms with siblings. "I'm sure I'll get used to them, yes," she replies diplomatically while tucking in her side of the sheet. "And sharing a room... I'm sure that will be fine too. For me at least, I'll have to keep an eye out to make sure I understand their comfort levels." She finishes with the sheet and starts changing the pillowcase, eyes downcast but not displaying anything much externally in a staggering contrast to the amusement and excitement of moments ago.

banthesun
2014-09-23, 12:18 AM
Wow, that got awkward fast... Maybe her family couldn't come with her when she moved or something.

They'd been getting on pretty well beforehand, and Kyoko wanted to say something to reassure her, but didn't want to seem presumptuous. She fell silent, thinking of something to change the topic to.

"Uh, is there anything else I could help with? Moving can be pretty tricky..."

At least I had my parents to help...

Kioku
2014-09-23, 12:32 AM
"It's no trouble, but thank you for offering. I've only got a courier bag and four shoulder bags, and I can't really unpack until Hepaunton-san is finished." Thinking about it makes Asami stretch while replying, making her wince a little. "I'd rather not worry about that for now anyway. It was a long trip, and I had to stand while wearing my bags the entire time." She flashes a small smile, but it doesn't seem quite the same as before. "One of our other dorm-mates did take care of lunch though, which was nice." Asami smirks. "And rather fun, when he ran out of the room after seeing my Shadow manifest. Soga got him sorted out, though."

banthesun
2014-09-23, 12:47 AM
"You had to carry your bags the whole way? Yikes!"

Kyoko wasn't sure where exactly Asami had had to carry her bags from, but Kyoko took it as evidence that Asami's family hadn't come with.

Uh, I could lend you some of my plushies if it would make it feel more like home," Kyoko offers, before blushing.

Oh, I really hope that didn't sound too childish. How much older than me is she anyway?

At the mention of personas, Kyoko's face falls.

"Oh, so I guess you're a persona user too. I guess that means everyone here is, though."

Kioku
2014-09-23, 12:59 AM
Right, *that* was the term they used. Gotta get used to saying it instead. "Mmh, I suspect that's the actual reason they put us together. It certainly explains the sudden scholarship and transfer for me, anyway. I don't think many schools cart someone in from Okinawa after start of term on a whim, top percent or otherwise." Asami allows a bit of a gentle smile to return. "That probably sounded worse than I meant it, sorry. Do 'plushies' usually help one to sleep better, or feel at home?"

banthesun
2014-09-23, 01:33 AM
Okinawa? Top percent? Kyoko felt a bit overwelmed by all this new information. Further more, a disturbing theory was dawning on her.

Wait, they couldn't have gotten my parents their position just so they could lure me here for this persona thing, could they?

Asami's response about plushies caught her off guard, and she snapped back to the conversation. Of course Asami didn't still sleep with soft toys. Kyoko almost felt like Asami was teasing her with her questions.

"Uh, I guess it's because I'm more used to having them, back at home and all. They are nice too, I guess."

Realising that Asami might have actually been asking seriously, Kyoko offered her a worn but well cared for plush penguin from beside her bed.

Kioku
2014-09-23, 01:45 AM
Asami accepts the penguin and holds it for a bit, looking it over. "Ahh. My brother has something like this, I think, but it's knitted. I see how it would remind him of home." She looks up and smiles, giving the plushie back. Afterward, she tentatively puts a hand on the other girl's shoulder with a concerned and imploring look. "May I ask - why did you seem crestfallen when I mentioned my Shad- err... persona? Would you have preferred that the others here not...?"

banthesun
2014-09-23, 02:13 AM
Kyoko was a bit surprised when Asami put a hand on her shoulder, but didn't let it show. She looked down as she answered.

"Well, some of the others... I don't want to be rude, but some of the others are, well, weird. I don't know if it's related to having personas or not, but it does make the whole thing even weirder."

Kyoko briefely made eye contact. Saying "you seemed pretty normal" would probably be rude in this situation, so she skipped it.

"But, well, I guess we all have personas here."

Kioku
2014-09-23, 02:37 AM
"Maybe having such intimate contact with your own inner self just has that effect on people. Anyone would get a little weird if they were faced with themselves on a regular basis, had a manifestation of their deepest thoughts that they might prefer to avoid whispering in their ear..." Asami seems encouraged by the lack of resistance - or at least flinching - to her touch, so she leaves her hand where it is when she tilts and ducks her head a little to try to re-establish the eye contact, for the sake of reassuring Kyoko. "On the other hand, if it's related to personae, do you feel like you've become 'weird' too? The only one who I've seen act that way so far was doing it because he thought he was crazy, since he didn't know about the Sha- personae yet." She offers a smile that seems to say 'don't worry, I don't think you're weird.'

banthesun
2014-09-23, 03:28 AM
Kyoko was begining to feel uncomfortable with the questioning. She did worry about what it meant that she had a persona too, but she definitely wasn't ready to admit that to this girl. Besides, between this psychology talk of 'inner selves' and her attempts at eye contact, Kyoko was starting to feel Asami was treating her like a kid. It was probably her fault for bringing up the soft toys, but how much older than her was Asami anyway? Kyoko swallowed, and tried to brush off the question.

"I don't know... It's all just been a bit confusing recently," she admitted.

Kioku
2014-09-23, 03:47 AM
Recently? Sensing the other girl's discomfort through touch and her evasiveness, Asami pulls away and takes a few steps toward the middle of the room, where she'd dropped her bags. "I see," she comments distantly, picking up her bags to move them to the end of the bed so they'll be out of the way. Don't worry, Beloved; it was always improbable that *everyone* would receive us well. Nobody can be well-liked by all. A small frown flickers across Asami's face for no apparent reason, but it's gone again in the space of a blink.

banthesun
2014-09-23, 04:34 AM
The change in Asami's mood was impossible to miss, and Kyoko could tell she was responsible for it. It seemed more than just embarrassment at being overly familiar, was there something in what Kyoko had said that had bothered her?

"Ah, well, I mean they only explained personas to me when I moved here, and it's all been a bit much to take in." Kyoko swallowed again, not sure if she was going to regret saying this. "Um, perhaps ask me again later, if you want..." she mumbled.

Kyoko sat down on her bed as she spoke, and glanced away. She didn't really want to talk about it, and she didn't really know much about Asami at all yet. Hopefully, the gesture would be enough, and she wouldn't actually ask about it again, but Kyoko had just not known what to say.

Kioku
2014-09-23, 05:05 AM
Is she... terribly misunderstanding the situation, or just making an effort in the wrong kind of way? I suppose the gesture is nice either way, and it does indicate... Asami finishes moving her bags and comes around to lean on the bunk ladder with a mild frown. "This is unfamiliar and you're reluctant to talk about Shadows, but still want to make an effort to keep things between us open. Does that sound about right?" I suspect miscommunication somewhere along the way... all or nothing; this is someone I'll have to be very direct with. "Please, tell me what's on your mind?"

banthesun
2014-09-23, 06:38 AM
Wow. That was direct.

Kyoko wasn't used to people being that straightfoward with her, and she couldn't shake the idea that Asami sounded like she was analysing her. Perhaps this was what was weird about Asami. If so, Kyoko couldn't really hold it against her, and she couldn't really dodge such a direct question. Even though she was a bit unsure, Kyoko did her best to answer Asami's question.

"Well, it's just that I've only moved in recently, I'm still getting used to this place, and the people here. You, well, you're even newer than me, I guess, so I hope we can get on."

It wasn't the clearest explanation, but it had been a bit of a confusing conversation for Kyoko so far.

Kioku
2014-09-23, 06:53 AM
What she said feels... woefully incomplete. It may be the best we'll get for now anyway. Asami ducks down to eye level, head tilted, and moves around a bit, inspecting Kyoko. "Okay," she says after a few moments, and darts forward to envelop the girl in a brief hug, before standing straight again and returning to the ladder. That was a bit soon, don't you think? You've been listening to me too much. She climbs up onto the upper bunk and hangs down in front of Kyoko with a smile, legs on the bed and everything else off, shirt pinned between her body and the bed frame. Her curtain of hair follows a moment behind, making her previously-covered eye visible. "I'm pretty easy to get along with, so let's! Long as you don't mind the innumerable sudden hugs that may come with it."

banthesun
2014-09-23, 07:37 AM
The hug was pretty unexpected, but Kyoko didn't resist. Maybe it was an Okinawan thing. Asami was definitely a very open person. Kyoko lay back on her bed, and started reaching for her phone. After a few moments of noises from above, Asami swung down, and Kyoko looked up at her.

"Sure. I guess I don't mind. Maybe as long as there's a little bit of warning?" she said, thinking about her arm. It seemed like Asami hadn't noticed yet, and Kyoko would be happy to keep it that way.

Kioku
2014-09-23, 07:50 AM
"Consider this your warning!" Asami winks and giggles. "Sure, sure, I can try to give you time to prepare yourself." Her mood sobers a little over the next several moments, and she rolls over while straightening out, so that she's lying flat half-off the upper bed. "Hey..." she calls down, "I don't have to 'ask you again later' if it bothers you, you know. Sorry that the conversation sort of naturally went that way."

banthesun
2014-09-23, 08:10 AM
It took Kyoko a moment to realise Asami was just teasing about the warning, but when she realised she couldn't help cracking a smile. This conversation had certainly swung back and forth between casual and serious a lot.

Just as she was thinking that, it swung back to serious again. Had she been so easy to read? She tried to stay casual as she answered.

"I'm not sure. It's all confusing now, but maybe everything'll be clearer after a while. Uh, thanks for the concern, though."

Kioku
2014-09-23, 08:27 AM
"Mmh..." Asami absently acknowledges. After a short time of thinking, and holding herself straight, she grabs the edge of the bed, tucks up her legs and flips herself down to the floor making barely a sound. She seems disappointed that it's 'barely' a sound and not 'silently', and mutters something about working on that in the future. "I should probably become more acquainted with the rest of the building, see which windows have good ledges or are near trees, things like that. Thank you for the temporary sleep setup," she notes with a smile and little bow, then takes one of her shoulder bags and leaves the room with a final "see you later!"

banthesun
2014-09-23, 09:51 AM
The comment about trees and windows was a bit confusing, but Kyoko waved her off with a smile.

"See you later!"

Once Asami had let, Kyoko laid flat on her back and let out a big sigh. There really were a lot of unusual people in this dorm. Digging out her phone from the pile of stuffed toys, Kyoko returned to the message she had been writing.

-the one with that actor you like? He is pretty cute in this, though some of his lines were a bit lame. (;¬_¬) A bunch more new people moved in here too. They're all involved in that weird stuff I mentioned, but I had a chat with one of them, and she at least seems pretty nice! Hope you're not too busy with homework! Message me back soon! XOXOX <3

With that, Kyoko hit send and rolled back over in her bed.