PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Spell! (Player made, looking for revision)

Dyhmas
2014-09-22, 09:42 AM
Greetings, fellow forumers. Those of you that have read my previous post about the Favorite Spell (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371514-New-Feat-Favorite-Spell) feat, may have read my post about my player deciding to come up with a spell of his own. To be his mark, or something like that. I quite like the initiative and was a tad surprised with the result, as he came up with something pretty flexible.

The point I need help with is whether it is too flexible. Really, I can think of numerous ways to use his spell (battlefield control, utility, blasting...even debuffing, if you consider prone as a debuff) and I'm a tad worried it can be unbalanced as is. Opinions on this are greatly appreciated. For those insterested in the fluff, it is supposed to be a sort of minor version of Telekinesis and the character's answer to the constant bullying he suffered when young.

Nathaniel’s Fearsome Poke
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

With a quick flick of your wrist, you poke a target, propelling him back several feet.

Magic energies infuse your hand with power, allowing you to display immense strength for a moment. Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target is pushed 10 feet in a direction of your choosing, even upward. The target must be of a size equal or smaller than the caster. At the end of the movement, the target must be successful in a Dexterity saving throw, against your Spell save DC, or fall prone.

This spell doesn’t cause direct damage; however, a creature launched upward still receives falling damage, as appropriate. Similarly, if pushed into a wall or other unmoving obstacle, the target takes falling damage for the distance it still had yet to travel.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the distance you may push a target increases by 10 feet for each slot level above 1st. Also, if cast from a 3rd or 4th level slot, this spell may affect creatures one size larger than the caster; at 5th or 6th level, it may affect creatures two sizes larger; at 7th or 8th level, it may affect creatures three sizes larger and, finally, at 9th level, it may affect creatures of any size.

So what do you guys think? Should I allow it as is or am I missing some crucial point here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Dyhmas

Steel Mirror
2014-09-22, 10:32 AM
I actually think that it is a little underpowered at the moment, though still quite fun to use. I'll try to think of a small way to add to it, it may be as simple as doing a little damage at the start in addition to knocking the poor sod around.

I do think that transmutation is a strange choice.

The other thing that I would add to it is rules for what happens when you knock a target enemy...into another enemy. :smallamused: I mean, that would be my first instinct for this spell, and it would be endlessly entertaining. I would have my wizard embark on every adventure determined to break his previous goblin bowling record.

DiBastet
2014-09-22, 11:43 AM
Thunderwave
Target: 15ft cone originating from you.
Effect: 2d8 thunder and pushed 10ft far from you. CON half and negate push.

Open hand
Target: punched target
Effect: pushes or drops the target. STR negates push, DEX negates prone.

Your spell
Target: Melee attack, one target
Effect: Pushed 10ft any direction, falls prone. DEX negates prone.

As far as I know there's no effect that automatically pushes people, and I don't like this idea. I would remove the attack part, keep the same range, and add a single STR save.

My version
Target: Target on melee range, one target
Effect: Pushed 10ft any direction, falls prone. STR negates.

Dyhmas
2014-09-22, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replys!

@Steel Mirror
As I said in my post, this is supposed to be a minor Telekinesis, wich is a transmutation spell.
I completely overlooked that part, will work on it. Should be pretty simples. Basically, both the target and the object take the damage he'd take from hitting said object. Both having then to save against being prone.
Will add that in a sec.

@DiBastet
I see why that'd bother you, but then again, the point of the spell is being able to do that. I basically switched the target having to make a save for the caster having to make a spell attack. Do you think that makes the spell unbalanced in some way? Or is it a personal preference that makes you not like it that way? Would you care to elaborate a little?

Well, altough being pushed 10 feet is nothing amazing, the fact that this spell can be used for various perposes is what gets worried. I mean, take a sorcerer for example. He could overcome the range difficulty with metamagics (Distant Spell). Having that covered, the spell could be used for Battlefield Control (moving enemies and allies alike), SoD (depending on where you launch your opponent, he's a goner), Blasting (not amazing damage, but if you consider that you could hit two enemies at the same time...or more, should you push a large creature unto two smaller ones), Utility (why roll to try a jump when you can just launch someone over an obstacle), and so on...

Again, I'd rather keep the power tamed, due to the various uses this may have.

Still accepting suggestions though.

-Dyhmas